• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

holy shit halo 3 SP is fucking amazing after playing reach and for so many years

i always disliked it for some reason

To me what always holds it back is the controls. The manual reloading for weapons relegating reloads to the bumpers has always felt awkward for me and always screws me over for equipment.

Omni

Same. I jumped into CTF and was in a 5v2 within a minute. Then, the other team was spawn-camping us on Ragnarok with a Mantis, a Warthog (with a gunner and sniper riding shotgun), and another sniper way up high on a cliff area on which you're probably not even supposed to be able to stand. I would never spawn inside the base, always out in the open, and they knew the spawn points, suggesting they had probably done this before. Pretty soon, it was a 5v1. Of course, they completely ignored the objective (Neutral Flag) and let the time run out, farming kills. The dudes had things in their bios like "#34 in Wheelman medals in Halo 4".
Those players sound awfully... Competitive...

COMPETITIVE PLAYERS ARE RUINING HALO.

This is why 343i gives us active camo and jetpacks. So we can hide when people get too good at the game.

Same. I jumped into CTF and was in a 5v2 within a minute. Then, the other team was spawn-camping us on Ragnarok with a Mantis, a Warthog (with a gunner and sniper riding shotgun), and another sniper way up high on a cliff area on which you're probably not even supposed to be able to stand. I would never spawn inside the base, always out in the open, and they knew the spawn points, suggesting they had probably done this before. Pretty soon, it was a 5v1. Of course, they completely ignored the objective (Neutral Flag) and let the time run out, farming kills. The dudes had things in their bios like "#34 in Wheelman medals in Halo 4".

*Halo Reach flashbacks*

Not as horrible as COD farming kills with killstreaks

Those players sound awfully... Competitive...
Hardly. If they were interested in competition at the game level, they would be winning as quickly as possible. This would also be the option that would be the most sportsmanlike.

If they were interested in serious competition in advancing their position on a statistical leaderboard, then they would understand no one's going to be impressed if they got there through exploitation.

Any way you slice it, they're douchebags, and competition is not the spirit which drives them.

It was hard to tell if you were being sarcastic or not...

Prop Hunt was absolutely amazing last night.

I can't remember who it was, but when I was the zombie and I came up the ramp, saw the rock on top of the pillar and went "What the fuck?" and then saw the rock jump in the air and sprint away...I could have died laughing. Holy shit. So good.

Any way you slice it, they're douchebags, and competition is not the spirit which drives them.

Patient douchebags though. One enemy to share out between five is pretty meagre, I'd rather cap at that point. The worst is when one guy stays alone in a slayer match and the score is still miles away from 50.

Who wants to bet the Destiny beta backfires spectacularly (not due to inherent gameplay reasons, just because internet am cheapskates) and Bungie sets some record for most pre-orders canceled ever?

gAg CruSh3r

Who wants to bet the Destiny beta backfires spectacularly (not due to inherent gameplay reasons, just because internet am cheapskates) and Bungie sets some record for most pre-orders canceled ever?

mFFVIRp.gif

Fuchsdh

I swear to god geoff ages and de-ages by like 10 years every time a gif of him comes out

Is it really that crazy though? Haven't people been deliberately pre-ordering and then canceling for beta access?

Probably, but you have to consider that the people likely to play in the beta and then cancel are probably not the people who are going to buy the final product in the end.

I do think it's likely betas hurt game devs much like demos, but I dunno how large an effect that has on a AAA game.

daedalius

Giant Bomb is going to be streaming Halo coop on their extra life livestream, don't know how many they are going to play. Think they are starting with 4 player coop Reach.

Probably, but you have to consider that the people likely to play in the beta and then cancel are probably not the people who are going to buy the final product in the end.

I do think it's likely betas hurt game devs much like demos, but I dunno how large an effect that has on a AAA game.

Or people like myself who preordered on Amazon only to get the Beta and would rather get it at midnight.

I don't think it would be that crazy if Destiny has the most preorder cancellations. You have to consider shipping and all that, people want their Destiny yesterday.

Talents

Banned

It's not going to do anywhere near as well as it could of done if they had released it on PC. Loads of people aren't getting next gen consoles and are sticking with PC gaming.

That's what the combined install base of ~150 million of the 360 and PS3 is for.

It's funny this is true and people are freaking out over resolution differences between the new consoles. I wonder if gaming side knows BF4 is on the 360, too?

I just upgraded my PC, so I'm good until Halo 5one comes out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Just got 25 kills in an Anniversary Slayer match, winning 50 to 49. I know the fact that it's a BK slaughter fest shapes my preferences, but Anniversary Slayer is seriously fun.

FyreWulff

why isnt CEA on the XBL marketplace yet

its been 2 years

Who knows why ODST took so long, but CEA they'd definitely have to rip out the Reach multiplayer side of it, because if you bought Reach GonD and CEA GonD, you'd launch CEA's demo mode each time you tried to start Reach.

Who knows why ODST took so long, but CEA they'd definitely have to rip out the Reach multiplayer side of it, because if you bought Reach GonD and CEA GonD, you'd launch CEA's demo mode each time you tried to start Reach.

And that's probably why it won't see release. ODST was a unique title on a single disc, no modification is required.

I booted Halo Waypoint earlier and I must not have ODST downloaded on this Xbox, but it said under ODST "not available on Games on Demand". They wouldn't even authorize an update to their franchise app to advertise their franchise game. ODST has been available on Games on Demand since April. Maybe they'll change it if they roll out a Waypoint update after Spartan Assault for the 360 releases.

Oh, and is Spartan Assault (Xbox 360) a completely different game than Spartan Assault (Windows 8)? I was looking at the screenshots on the dashboard and they show missions with names like "A-1" and they are completely different levels than the Windows 8 game.

And that's probably why it won't see release. ODST was a unique title on a single disc, no modification is required.

I booted Halo Waypoint earlier and I must not have ODST downloaded on this Xbox, but it said under ODST "not available on Games on Demand". They wouldn't even authorize an update to their franchise app to advertise their franchise game. ODST has been available on Games on Demand since April. Maybe they'll change it if they roll out a Waypoint update after Spartan Assault for the 360 releases.

Oh, and is Spartan Assault (Xbox 360) a completely different game than Spartan Assault (Windows 8)? I was looking at the screenshots on the dashboard and they show missions with names like "A-1" and they are completely different levels than the Windows 8 game.

Yeah, I figured it would be more than your standard port when they announced that the Flood would be an enemy.

I can't tell much of a graphical appearance between the windows phone and xbox version. Maybe I'm wrong, and someone can point it out to me?

Omni

http://images.wikia.com/charitwo/images/f/fe/Neat-spiderman.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Should have some kind of epilepsy warning!!
[quote="HiredN00bs, post: 88456412"]
It was hard to tell if you were being sarcastic or not...[/QUOTE]
Haha, don't mind me. Just being sarcastic.

Nowise10

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708788

What was the Halo 4 Launch OT on Gaming Side like? I pray it was funny and actually worth reading, and wasn't a "try-hard" super serious OT.

Seriously LunchBox made the best OT ever.

Honestly I hate those kind. They are extremely childish. I'd rather have a nice clean looking oen that gives details of the game, rather then "LOL look at all these random pictures and slang im using! Im so funny!! haha bugs bunny!!"

Fuchsdh

Honestly I hate those kind. They are extremely childish. I'd rather have a nice clean looking oen that gives details of the game, rather then "LOL look at all these random pictures and slang im using! Im so funny!! haha bugs bunny!!"

Agreed. It was funny at first, but then I kept scrolling and was surprised how infantile it felt.

I want my jokes succint, my information easily digestible, and my graphics not whipped up in MS paint. The OP should be a craft onto itself; if they're good, they have utility long after the thread has spilled into hundreds of pages.

Omni

Do first pages even matter in an OT? Sure you might scroll down it quickly when you first look in the thread, but most of the time you're just posting.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of a laugh. If people have serious questions they'll post them regardless of whether or not the OP is satire.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Do first pages even matter in an OT? Sure you might scroll down it quickly when you first look in the thread, but most of the time you're just posting.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of a laugh. If people have serious questions they'll post them regardless of whether or not the OP is satire.
Some people really do use OTs as information hubs. Even people who don't have GAF accounts. I do sometimes, but mostly just skip right past'em.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708788

What was the Halo 4 Launch OT on Gaming Side like? I pray it was funny and actually worth reading, and wasn't a "try-hard" super serious OT.

Seriously LunchBox made the best OT ever.

I'm pretty sure the original Halo 4 OT was srs, but we also got Halo |OT17| and the terribad DLC expansion, Halo |OT17B|, which fills a similar niche.

Cause they randomly crash and make a big boom, thus making an analogy for Halo 4?

yes that's exactly it

Booshka

Call of Duty is childish, it got the OT it deserves. Like you need fine details and explanation of a new CoD game. Sprint around and shoot, stab, summon dogs and mortar strikes.

HGS

Nowise10

To me it gives a pretty pretty big impression on how the community in the thread is. Many game OT's, like Dota for exampe, give a clear representation of what I plan on seeing in the thread, and Dotas is straight to the point about the game, with a funny .gif at the end.

That Ghost OT, with literally EVERYTHING not being serious, and everything a joke and mocking the game, that honestly right away would turn me away, and if not insulting towards the developers who spent 2 years creating the game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
To me it gives a pretty pretty big impression on how the community in the thread is. Many game OT's, like Dota for exampe, give a clear representation of what I plan on seeing in the thread, and Dotas is straight to the point about the game, with a funny .gif at the end.

That Ghost OT, with literally EVERYTHING not being serious, and everything a joke and mocking the game, that honestly right away would turn me away, and if not insulting towards the developers who spent 2 years creating the game.
rdpVlhp.gif

Now that I'm reading through it again, OT17 was actually one of my favorites while it lasted, mostly because:

- it was created just before the big Halo Xbox One reveal and people were appropriately flipping their hypothetical shit
- we still had some of halogaf's key players unbanned on both Team SLRP and Team SALT
- shogmaster's amazing entry into the thread and subsequent embannery

It's a shame that HaloGAF got a large amount of the populace wiped out after due to the thread triple-split and eventually got some of the bigger names banned due to unrelated circumstances.

Fuchsdh

Now that I'm reading through it again, OT17 was actually one of my favorites while it lasted, mostly because:

- it was created just before the big Halo Xbox One reveal and people were appropriately flipping their hypothetical shit
- we still had some of halogaf's key players unbanned on both Team SLRP and Team SALT
- shogmaster's amazing entry into the thread and subsequent embannery

It's a shame that HaloGAF got a large amount of the populace wiped out after due to the thread triple-split and eventually got some of the bigger names banned due to unrelated circumstances.

Somewhere I've got a line graph of the highs and lows of the OTs in the leadup to and during Halo 4's release. It's a roller coaster of emotions.

|OT19| will come soon enough, but I'm happy the threads have slowed down.

Top Bottom