• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Antitype, your comparison of the DMR to the CE Pistol isn't fair.

CE Pistol: High skill curve, 12 shots, nonhitscan so you had to lead shots, 2x, little aim assist (idk how many times this has to be said but not even top tier pros can land consistent 3-4sk's on LAN), the only midrange utility weapon in that game, balanced by a powerful supporting sandbox and its difficulty of use.

DMR: Much more aim assist so lower skill curve, 14-15 shots, hitscan so where you aim is where your shot hits, 3x (as we've scene that is a huge difference between 2x, especially for BTB), bloom didn't stop it from being dominant because people still spammed and got lucky (we saw the fan backlash because of luck/chance with bloom over consistency/skill), not anymore balanced than what you think about the Pistol. Not as fun or rewarding.

And the H2 BR was not OP. And the H3 BR wasn't balanced, it was just trash. How can you describe a weapon as "but the remaining shots might not hit after the first shot" and think that's fun and fair? Players don't want balance by an inconsistent, watered down sandbox; they want the game to be balanced throuh skill and consistency, two areas where Halo 2 and Halo 3 were lacking. Not as fun or rewarding.

The CE Pistol was the most balanced utility weapon of any Halo game, not the most broken. On paper and in the short-lived life, un-mainstream exposure it had, sure the Pistol may have appeared broken but it really wasn't. Halo 1's weapon sandbox is so fun and rewarding, how can so many people have such fond memories yet complain about the Pistol as if it was the death of Halo multiplayer? It always blew my mind how resilient people were to accepting a well-rounded weapon like the CE Pistol. If the shots-to-kill bothers people so much, make it a 4sk, but the shooting cadence and the battles with that weapon are something 343 should be revisiting for Halo 5.

I really think if they just gave us that weapon, people could finally see for themselves how great it was and still is for this multiplayer. Also, I hope you're not using Halo PC when talking about CE.

343, pls. Bring back the CE Pistol or a human rifle equivalent with the same reticle (12 shots, 2x, little aim assist, 3-5sk depending on surrounding traits like movement and other weapons). Do it for Halo's future. Our children deserve better.

1) Strong at mid-range, where most battles in Halo initiate
2) Useful for defense at long-range, able to knock snipers out of zoom or pester players (range cap and/or fire rate cap can achieve this).
3) Should have a disadvantage at close-range to close-range specialty weapons (fire rate cap can achieve this)

The CE Pistol achieves all of this, both on paper and in practice.
1) Check.
2) 2x zoom achieves this. You say the DMR is more blanced but it has a 3x zoom, is hitscan and has a lot of aim assist
3) Should be balanced by powerful close range weapons, which CE also had.

If 343 released an update to have Theater Mode for Campaign (regardless of its flaws) I do believe everyone would really appreciate having it than not having it at all. Please Frankie/Ellis make this possible.

Campaign theater mod
Beautiful Campaign

That was fun last night, Eugn/ExWife/Eggs.

Got two Running Riots. Read a ton of confessions between games. Killed myself with Rockets. Got 18 kills and one assist and led my team of scrubs to victory. Donged on Celephax. Nhaaaaay.

'Twas a good night.

They had the Halo theme at the end of the E3 trailer and the game still disappointed.

Yea but its was a darker tone to the theme and only in the end of the trailer. I man the real deal, the awe inspiring version. Also keep using it in various trailers. It never returned again in future trailers for Halo 4.

Fuchsdh

You guys think they'll go completely metro with the main menu in Halo 5? Halo 4's was a mess... But playing Assassin's Creed IV has convinced me that it can work.

It's so simple. Obviously they should come up for a better solution for player cards in lobbies (having them vertical à la Reach would be a start), but in general it's a cool concept.

Would make sense, my only concern is that there's some info that doesn't really work segregated into squares (like player cards). Metro-inspired sounds good, especially if they want you to be able to navigate it via Kinect, but slavish adherence to a design will probably only make it feel compromised.

Mix

saw this, thought you'd like it
1461083_216285978543754_618677924_n.jpg

I prefer the Halo 1,2,3 "Suit" type armor as opposed to Halo 4's individual pieces.

Yeah, I think they did that to make animation easier, but it bothers me that the points on the human body you would want to reinforce for hundreds of pounds of space armor (the joints) are left to hyper-spandex on the Spartan IV's.

daedalius

I definitely like the Halo 4 design best out of the previous designs. I think MC's armor looks great.

Now all the other S4 armor... well, some of them are alright. I still stick with the MK6 armor for multiplayer.

As Mix said, yes we've tread this path many a time already.

Mix

Can we please have some Halo news? How many times does HaloGAF have to talk about MC's armor design holy shit.

I definitely like the Halo 4 design best out of the previous designs. I think MC's armor looks great.

Now all the other S4 armor... well, some of them are alright. I still stick with the MK6 armor for multiplayer.

Mk 5 for the win

Can we please have some Halo news? How many times does HaloGAF have to talk about MC's armor design holy shit.

Mk 5 for the win

I think that HaloGAF should just enter hibernation until next year E3. DAMN FRANKIE JUST GIVE US SOME ETA ONE WHEN WE'LL SEE SOME NEWS.

We should end it with OT18 and join 343 by making an all new set of OTs to signal the change from Xbox 360 to Xbone.

New Coke |OT| Who needs Beli343?

Karl2177

Or you know, if there's nothing to talk about you could try not posting. It's not like there's a post quota you have to make everyday.

CE Pistol: High skill curve, 12 shots, nonhitscan so you had to lead shots, 2x, little aim assist (idk how many times this has to be said but not even top tier pros can land consistent 3-4sk's on LAN), the only midrange utility weapon in that game, balanced by a powerful supporting sandbox and its difficulty of use.

The CE Pistol was the most balanced utility weapon of any Halo game, not the most broken. On paper and in the short-lived life, un-mainstream exposure it had, sure the Pistol may have appeared broken but it really wasn't. Halo 1's weapon sandbox is so fun and rewarding, how can so many people have such fond memories yet complain about the Pistol as if it was the death of Halo multiplayer? It always blew my mind how resilient people were to accepting a well-rounded weapon like the CE Pistol. If the shots-to-kill bothers people so much, make it a 4sk, but the shooting cadence and the battles with that weapon are something 343 should be revisiting for Halo 5.

I never said the Pistol was unbalanced to the point of being broken, I simply said it was overpowered. It wasn't a disaster, there was just plenty of room for it to be more balanced, so that it didn't dominate the sandbox in the way that it did.

I strongly disagree that the Halo:CE sandbox or the difficulty of use balanced the Halo:CE pistol, because neither prevented the Pistol from dominating 90% of every match. Pistol duels were the order of the day - not because you spawned with them, but because even when you came across another weapon, or the weapon dropped by your opponent, 9 times out of 10 you were keeping that security blanket, because none of the other weapons were as versatile or even close to as valuable across so many potential battle situations.

I'm sure a top-tier Halo pro would have trouble consistently nailing 3-4 shot kills over LAN... cause they're generally playing against other top tier players, who are every bit as good as juking and jiving and using the map terrain to their advantage. But if a top-tier player encounters another top-tier player brandishing the pistol, which weapon do you think he wants at his side for the battle?

I do wish we had Xbox Live stats to look at the worldwide numbers, but I can't, so all I can go on is anecdote, which is corroborated and reinforced by wide-spread sentiments that echo my own experience (the bolded), spoken across the internet by Halo fans the world over.

Yes, lots of people have great memories of Halo despite the Pistol. It's a relatively small group of players that romanticizes an endless cycle of circle-strafing pistol-duels as the high point of the experience though. I've certainly never heard anybody say 'You know what the best part of Halo was man? Using the same weapon for 99% of a match, and having 99/100 battles be pistol-on-pistol duels. I thought my 10,786th pistol duel was the best but naw man, the next one was just as good! That was AWESOME!'

Most of the great memories from Halo: CE - at least in my experience - recall the social atmosphere of LAN parties, the emergent gameplay that came about from the infantry/vehicle interplay, the team-work that came together in CTF matches, the come-from-behind victories in Slayer, etc. I've never heard ANYBODY (outside of a forum discussing mechanics and balance) saying 'DUDE, using the pistol was so damn fun! Especially for the whole match, every match!'

You ask (perhaps rhetorically) how so many people can feel the same way about the Pistol... well, they're either all crazy, or maybe, just maybe, there's something to it, and the Pistol really wasn't as balanced as you think it was.

DMR: Much more aim assist so lower skill curve, 14-15 shots, hitscan so where you aim is where your shot hits, 3x (as we've scene that is a huge difference between 2x, especially for BTB), bloom didn't stop it from being dominant because people still spammed and got lucky (we saw the fan backlash because of luck/chance with bloom over consistency/skill), not anymore balanced than what you think about the Pistol. Not as fun or rewarding.

I don't really disagree with any of this. Well, except to say that I had fun with the DMR in Reach. But to your points:

1) Aim assist is not a problem with the DMR specifically, it's a problem with the sandbox as a whole. I'm all for limiting aim assist throughout the sandbox in future Halo games.

2) I hate hit-scan in general. Get rid of it on all weapons.

3) I said in my original post that a balanced DMR would have a lower range and/or a lower rate of fire. I have no problem with reducing the range from 3x to 2x. The only reason I might consider not doing it is if the next game includes both the DMR and BR again. In which case, I would give the DMR longer range but a much reduced firing-rate, making it more ideal to mid-range battles and mid-long pestering/defense, while the BR would be equal at mid-range, but more powerful at short-mid-range and shorter range.

4) Bloom wasn't perfectly tuned, it's true. But you can seem the impact it had simply by comparing how much more overpowered the zero-bloom DMR in Halo: Reach and Halo 4 are to the original DMR. Bloom forced players to sacrifice firing-rate for accuracy at long-range, which prevented the DMR from scoring kills at long range as effectively as it does at mid-range. In Halo 4, that's not a problem - you can 5shot a guy as easily in 3x as you could out of zoom, leading to incredibly boring gameplay as people pinged each other across maps.

As far as in close, that's where bloom needed work. Instead, you just had people rolling the dice and hoping, which made for random, sloppy, close range DMR battles. That said, I personally was happy to see morons spam their DMRs at me in close... it made them very easy to tear apart with the AR or the pistol, or other close range weapons that I kept on hand. You'd think more players would have learned that the DMR wasn't a great close-range option and strategized accordingly, but in fairness, they had been conditioned to believe that the rifle that they leaned on at medium range should also be just as effective in close by 3 preceding games. Maybe people just couldn't break the habit.

And the H2 BR was not OP. And the H3 BR wasn't balanced, it was just trash. How can you describe a weapon as "but the remaining shots might not hit after the first shot" and think that's fun and fair? Players don't want balance by an inconsistent, watered down sandbox; they want the game to be balanced throuh skill and consistency, two areas where Halo 2 and Halo 3 were lacking. Not as fun or rewarding.

Well the Halo 2 BR certainly wasn't as overpowered as the Halo:CE pistol, but hit-scan (not to mention stupid glitches) ensured that it was still too versatile across all ranges.

As far as the Halo 3 BR, it's absolutely fun and fair. Because BR spread affects all players equally. Rather than hit-scan allowing a BR at mid-range and a BR at 2x zoom range to be equally effective and therefore overpowered, spread ensures that the BR is consistently deadly at mid-range, while ensuring it's pretty much only good for defense and pinging snipers out of zoom at long-range.

I, as the player, am empowered by choice. I can be an idiot, and attempt to force the Halo 3 BR outside of it's role in the sandbox, and attempt to battle people at long range where my weapon is less accurate and - by extension - less consistent. Or I can instead be smart and reacquire at proper range, or defend myself if need be, well enough to get to cover and re-engage as needed. The notion that there should be an imaginary wall whereby weapons go from consistently effective to consistently useless is rather asinine to me. There is a gradual, intuitive decline in the Halo 3 BR's effectiveness as range increases thanks to the logical impact of bullet spread... just as any weapon in the world works.

The CE Pistol achieves all of this, both on paper and in practice.
1) Check.
2) 2x zoom achieves this. You say the DMR is more blanced but it has a 3x zoom, is hitscan and has a lot of aim assist
3) Should be balanced by powerful close range weapons, which CE also had.

1) Agreed.

2) Again, as I said, I would be fine with either decreasing the range of the DMR or decreasing it's firing rate. In Reach, bloom ensured the effective firing rate at range was much lower than the firing rate at mid-range, making it useful pretty much only for defensive purposes or pestering. In Halo 4 (and in ZB Reach, for that matter), they did neither, and it dominated as a result.

Get rid of hit-scan on all weapons.

3) I agree that a selection of more powerful short-range weapons would solve this. Don't necessarily agree that Halo:CE really achieved that, but our disagreement over the relative balance in Halo:CE seems to be an ongoing theme. So long as the DPS at short range for the AR, Shotgun, Pistols and other short range weapons are greater than that of the utility weapon, then we're good.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I think they did that to make animation easier, but it bothers me that the points on the human body you would want to reinforce for hundreds of pounds of space armor (the joints) are left to hyper-spandex on the Spartan IV's.

Yeah, I think when you boil it down that's my issue. The pieces makes it *feel* less solid and sturdy, even if I like pieces of it far more than the H3 Chief (despite its boxiness, I still prefer CE Chief though. He looked like he was equipped for anything. Later Spartans are all a bit too slim, and the Reach Spartans were chunky without the same definition of CE MC.)

Striker

Well the Halo 2 BR certainly wasn't as overpowered as the Halo:CE pistol, but hit-scan (not to mention stupid glitches) ensured that it was still too versatile across all ranges.
Halo 2's BR was limited at range because the aim assist dropped significantly and you weren't going to hit anybody unless they were standing still. The tight spread did wonders for the reliability for the weapon and is why it was well liked. It didn't cross map like you think it did because there was hitscan.

spread ensures that the BR is consistently deadly at mid-range ...
lol

Halo 2's BR was limited at range because the aim assist dropped significantly and you weren't going to hit anybody unless they were standing still. The tight spread did wonders for the reliability for the weapon and is why it was well liked. It didn't cross map like you think it did because there was hitscan.

lol

You found the Halo 3 BR inconsistent at mid-range?

The concentration of the burst pretty much ensured that the first shot and the last shot of every burst would hit it's target, so long as it was fired at mid-range with a hint of lead for a target moving laterally.

It was only over distance that the concentration of the burst allowed for significant spread distance between each shot.

Again, I don't really favor the notion that there should be some magic wall between where a weapon is totally consistent, and one virtual centimeter beyond where it is totally useless.

A gradual decline in accuracy as a result of bullet spread is totally intuitive.

You're not gonna get anything until January/February, just like every other Halo release we've had in the past 6 years.

I at least have Doctor Who to tide me over until the new year.

And it's more stress than hype at this point, I really want to see them go back to the roots, but the odds of that are not good.

My man, So much hype.

that trailer. THAT FUCKING TRAILER. ALL MY HNNNNNGGGGGGS

jem0208

Yep. Why would MSFT start talking about Halo 5 when they have a hardware launch and more software between now and the end of the year.

They'll talk Halo in the new year.

Jesssssuuuuusss

They'll probably wait until after Titanfall's release before starting to tease Halo 5

You're not gonna get anything until January/February, just like every other Halo release we've had in the past 6 years.

But we could at least get information about the books or tv show though.

I mean, Mortal Dictata is coming out in January and is the last known Halo book. Hopefully it won't actually be the last one, and getting some news about an author would be fantastic.

Hell, a report saying that there are actually more books in production would even be acceptable.

And this TV show is supposed to be a big thing but there has been nothing since E3 or whatever that was. Absolutely nothing. Have they even announced if it's going to be on any network? Or is it only going to be on Xbox?

I know most of you guys don't care about the books/show/whatever and only want game news, but there is a bit more to the Halo universe than just the games and 343 seems to really put the rest of it on the backburner. Obviously that's the right decision, but it's a bit frustrating to me sometimes.

blamite

Kill most of the flood, and disable the Ark so that the Covenant couldn't use it to set off the rings and wipe out life across the galaxy.

The fact that they never definitively finalized what happened with the Flood, or how they made sure to wipe them out always bugged me. I mean, right before the headed into the slip-space portal to the Ark, a Covenant cruiser completely infected with flood hit the Earth. They took that one out, obviously, but are we really to assume that the flood only managed to take over two Covenant ships (including High Charity)?

Hell, in one of the final scenes in Halo 2, you see spores floating through space after the collision between In Amber Clad and High Charity. For a organism supposedly so resilient and hard to keep in check, the notion that they were all conveniently confined to two ships is a little bit...unsatisfying.
The idea is that because he knew Truth was going to fire all the rings, the Gravemind dedicated all his force to getting to the Ark to stop him, and in the moment taking High Charity and everything on it directly to the Ark was the simplest option. It wouldn't have made sense to leave any forces elsewhere because if he failed to stop the rings from firing they'd all be wiped out anyway.

The problem with this (and some other important plot points) is that it's never really explained clearly in-game so even though a logical explanation exists, the story still feels kind of unsatisfying because you can't quite tell if the inferred explanation is what was intended or if it as just overlooked.

Why can't we get information soon? Just because there are other games to sell doesn't mean you can't try to sell the console using Halo.

After all, the Xbox is just a Halobox for many people so why not try getting those fans to buy or at the very least hyped about the Xbox One right now with some Halo goodness? It's not like it'll take away from the other games. If anything it'll get Halo fans hyped, possibly even hyped enough to purchase an Xbox One right now even without Halo, and in turn maybe playing other games in the process.

I don't expect them to reveal anything soon, but that doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be showing something at least. I mean shit, I got a Wii U last year because I knew I would get one eventually for Smash and I've played some pretty fun games in the mean time. Let's face it, a lot of people are put off by Microsoft because of what happened with Halo 4. I think it would be in their best interest to start showing off Halo sooner rather than later for that reason alone.

The idea is that because he knew Truth was going to fire all the rings, the Gravemind dedicated all his force to getting to the Ark to stop him, and in the moment taking High Charity and everything on it directly to the Ark was the simplest option. It wouldn't have made sense to leave any forces elsewhere because if he failed to stop the rings from firing they'd all be wiped out anyway.

The problem with this (and some other important plot points) is that it's never really explained clearly in-game so even though a logical explanation exists, the story still feels kind of unsatisfying because you can't quite tell if the inferred explanation is what was intended or if it as just overlooked.

It's a bit of a handwave, but if I'm remembering right one of the Halo 3 terminals had a little tidbit of information explaining that if the Gravemind ever felt threatened (in an existential sense, not in a metaphorical / tactical sense), it would dedicate all available forces to protecting it as a natural defense mechanism. Considering the Gravemind was under control of all the Flood forces we saw in Halo 3, it's probably fair to assume that it rallied virtually everything it had taken over and sent it through the portal, even if it wasn't all on High Charity.

Even if there were stragglers in offhand space in the Milky Way, the destruction of the Gravemind at the Ark meant that any un-contained Flood would revert back to a more primal phase of development - and since there were probably just isolated cruisers that made it out of there, if that, there probably wouldn't be enough biomass to generate anything beyond a Proto-Gravemind.

They'll probably wait until after Titanfall's release before starting to tease Halo 5

We will most likely get info before actually. They need to get the ball rolling if it is indeed releasing in the fall. After march to not say anything seems a bit late in terms of marketing.

Top Bottom