• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I hope you are right, i preferred it to be in fall 2015.

I hope they don't repeat the same mistake of 3 year dev cycles while other games capitalize in Halo's absence. Who's to say Halo 5 will even be good? Wouldn't you rather it come out sooner so they could possibly fix it sooner? Just imagine if Halo 4 had an extra year of development time. We probably would've seen those killcams working and MAC CANNON killstreaks, who the heck knows what else. A whole extra year of making poor design decisions..

It's my Halo and I need it now!
So we can fix it if it's broken.

But it's 100% happening. They won't show a game announcement/teaser, say it's coming out in 2014 and then later be like, just kidding, that game isn't coming out in 2014.

Yeah and weren't some of you guys saying how it's possible for them to be running a constant 1080p 60fps already? I think we'll get it for sure in 2014. Anything later just don't expect a significant fanbase.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
But it's 100% happening. They won't show a game announcement/teaser, say it's coming out in 2014 and then later be like, just kidding, that game isn't coming out in 2014.

Well, they could do what Rockstar is doing with GTA V, releasing most of the content periodically after release.

I'd prefer they release a Halo multiplayer game that lasts for the lifetime of the Xbox One, and have the Campaign released as DLC. That way, they could also do spin-off Campaigns like ODST, without having to include the multiplayer again, like ODST and Anniversary.

Fuchsdh

They said Halo for Xbox One. I think the fact that they didn't come out and say Halo 5 was bet-hedging. I think it's entirely likely we could say some Halo, but I'm not certain it's going to be Halo 5. A spinoff title heavily borrowing from Halo 4 a la ODST seems like an interesting stop-gap measure (plus, if you want pie-in-the-sky hopes, you could produce a title that's more traditional Halo just using what's in the Halo 4 engine already.)

I understand why people want another Halo so soon, but after the growing pains 343 experienced with their first title I dunno why you'd want them to churn another one out giving them less time to improve the game for next-fen and add in missing features. I think we can all agree that what hurt the game most post-release was the slow implementation of features. That would be great to avoid in the future.

Well, they could do what Rockstar is doing with GTA V, releasing most of the content periodically after release.

Another possibility.

I hope they don't repeat the same mistake of 3 year dev cycles while other games capitalize in Halo's absence. Who's to say Halo 5 will even be good? Wouldn't you rather it come out sooner so they could possibly fix it sooner? Just imagine if Halo 4 had an extra year of development time. We probably would've seen those killcams working and MAC CANNON killstreaks, who the heck knows what else. A whole extra year of making poor design decisions..

It's my Halo and I need it now!
So we can fix it if it's broken.

Yeah and weren't some of you guys saying how it's possible for them to be running a constant 1080p 60fps already? I think we'll get it for sure in 2014. Anything later just don't expect a significant fanbase.

I want the extra time so they can get it right. They really need to make sure they don't mess up again.

They said Halo for Xbox One. I think the fact that they didn't come out and say Halo 5 was bet-hedging. I think it's entirely likely we could say some Halo, but I'm not certain it's going to be Halo 5. A spinoff title heavily borrowing from Halo 4 a la ODST seems like an interesting stop-gap measure (plus, if you want pie-in-the-sky hopes, you could produce a title that's more traditional Halo just using what's in the Halo 4 engine already.)

I understand why people want another Halo so soon, but after the growing pains 343 experienced with their first title I dunno why you'd want them to churn another one out giving them less time to improve the game for next-fen and add in missing features. I think we can all agree that what hurt the game most post-release was the slow implementation of features. That would be great to avoid in the future.

Another possibility.

Wasnt it leaked as Halo 5 by the person who did the trailer?

halo-5.jpg

Fuchsdh

Wasnt it leaked as Halo 5 by the person who did the trailer?

halo-5.jpg

That was from the effects company. They might have gotten it wrong, or maybe the plans changed mid-way through.

Either way I think there's got to be a good reason they didn't just say "Halo 5", and I doubt it's because they're suddenly scared of increasing numbers at the end.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That was from the effects company. They might have gotten it wrong, or maybe the plans changed mid-way through.

Either way I think there's got to be a good reason they didn't just say "Halo 5", and I doubt it's because they're suddenly scared of increasing numbers at the end.
-True start of a new saga
-Separation from bungie material to 343 centralized canon
-No longer a trilogy, so arguably Halo 4 was just stage setting
-Xbox One, Halo (1)

/tinfoilhat

Fuchsdh

-True start of a new saga
-Separation from bungie material to 343 centralized canon
-True start of a new saga, Halo 4 was just stage setting
-Xbox One, Halo (1)

/tinfoilhat

At least you have the decency to embed your old avy's into the new one so I'm not confused.

Reading user names is for chumps.

Good possible points, but I don't think Microsoft or 343 in particular view the franchise that way. It's their saga, Halo 4 wasn't really table-setting.

There is a full-fledged Halo game developed by 343 with Chief as the main character coming in 2014.

Maybe it's not called Halo 5, maybe it's called Halo: The War for Master Chief's Poncho

It's just naming, doesn't make a different on development or the end product, name is just marketing.

If they don't view what they started in Halo 4 as a trilogy anymore, I think there's possibility they drop the numbers as marketing people don't like to use numbers that are high for sequels (hence the reason you don't see COD called COD 11 or whatever one it is)

There is a full-fledged Halo game developed by 343 with Chief as the main character coming in 2014.

Maybe it's not called Halo 5, maybe it's called Halo: The War for Master Chief's Poncho

It's just naming, doesn't make a different on development or the end product, name is just marketing.

It's Halo 5, i think you guys are thinking too much about it.

It's their saga, Halo 4 wasn't really table-setting.

imo, Glasslands + Greg Bear Trilogy + Halo 4 were the Unholy Trilogy of Shit Retcons. Even saying Halo 4 alone wasn't table-setting due to the soft reboot nature of the entire design philosophy anywhere from gameplay to art style to Spartan Ops' story and all of the weird plot shit that followed suit thanks to it seems kind of ridiculous.

That being said, we've heard from multiple sources the franchise is switching to a bi-yearly release schedule for mainline titles, so I have a feeling Halo 5 or Halo: Hidden Ponchos or Halo: Repair Your Janus or whatever the hell it's going to be called will be out in 2014.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

If they don't view what they started in Halo 4 as a trilogy anymore, I think there's possibility they drop the numbers as marketing people don't like to use numbers that are high for sequels (hence the reason you don't see COD called COD 11 or whatever one it is)
It is indeed no longer a trilogy
Xbox boss Phil Spencer says upcoming Halo game a genuine entry in sci-fi franchise; series no longer a trilogy, but now a saga.

Speaking with GameSpot during E3, Spencer declined to say if the new game was Halo 5 or a new extension to the series, similar to Halo 3: ODST or Halo Reach.
Microsoft revealed during PAX Prime in 2011 that Halo 4 was the beginning of The Reclaimer Trilogy, which would span Halo 5 and Halo 6. This is no longer the case, a Microsoft representative confirmed.

"While we originally said trilogy, we've actually expanded this to more of a saga, so we don't want to limit the Reclaimer story within a trilogy."

Freeser

Is anyone else upset that for the first time in Xbox history MS will have a console that has no playable variant of Halo initailly?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is anyone else upset that for the first time in Xbox history MS will have a console that has no playable variant of Halo initailly?

Actually no because I have like a separate station/setup where I play Halo. My XB1 will be hooked up to a different setup where I have a large TV.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, my Xbox Live expired today and I sold my 360. I was going to keep it, but I really don't plan on using it much, so... It was a 2009 Elite model and was giving me problems anyways. I might buy one of the newest models in a year or two for cheap, but I dunno.

It's been real, HaloGAF. I've been involved in this community off and on since 2007, and consistently since 2011. It sucks to end it, but maybe we can have a tearful reunion if Halo 5 is any good (otherwise the tears will be for another reason [RIP in peace Halo]). I wish I could say I was leaving for greener pastures, but there's no other community quite like HaloGAF on this forum. I've been reading the Battlefield and Killzone threads, and they just aren't the same. The KZ threads are especially bad. People seem too caught up in their insecure "Sony has good first party games and here's PROOF" defensiveness to really think critically about the series. Maybe I just need to hang around long enough to find the good posters.

Anyways, if anyone wants to be my PSN friend, shoot me a PM with your username. Mine is kittens_dx.

<3

FyreWulff

I could never sell my 360. Too much Rock Band DLC.

Was actually considering picking up the 360ne as a new, long lasting Rock Band machine but you can't use VGA cables with it..

FyreWulff

You'll have to excuse the double post, but here's something that's very cool.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28385580/#Comment_28385580

One of the Halo Penny Arcade community members was lucky to have his son. Way back when, he shared a pic of his son sleeping next to a Master Chief action figure:

DSC01409.jpg

Here he is nine years later, holding the same action figure with his new little brother:

image.jpg

LCDXX said:
Many of you old timers may recall 9 years ago that my wife and I were faced with tragedy that ultimately gave way to nothing less than a miracle. Since that time lightning has managed to strike twice for my infertile wife has she has since given us yet another miracle. Thankfully, history did not repeat itself and she managed to carry near full-term.

I present Simon Otto and the Master Chief 9 years later as of November 6, 2013. And introducing little Ezra Nolan, age 16 months.

TheOddOne

Well, my Xbox Live expired today and I sold my 360. I was going to keep it, but I really don't plan on using it much, so... It was a 2009 Elite model and was giving me problems anyways. I might buy one of the newest models in a year or two for cheap, but I dunno.

It's been real, HaloGAF. I've been involved in this community off and on since 2007, and consistently since 2011. It sucks to end it, but maybe we can have a tearful reunion if Halo 5 is any good (otherwise the tears will be for another reason [RIP in peace Halo]). I wish I could say I was leaving for greener pastures, but there's no other community quite like HaloGAF on this forum. I've been reading the Battlefield and Killzone threads, and they just aren't the same. The KZ threads are especially bad. People seem too caught up in their insecure "Sony has good first party games and here's PROOF" defensiveness to really think critically about the series. Maybe I just need to hang around long enough to find the good posters.

Anyways, if anyone wants to be my PSN friend, shoot me a PM with your username. Mine is kittens_dx.

<3
why_dont_we_have_both8ia7a.gif

blamite

Another possibility.

I don't understand why people would rather have a rushed game than one that has had the time to be properly developed. A bad game is bad forever, a delayed game etc etc.

<3

I will add you man, see you in Destiny.

daedalius

You'll have to excuse the double post, but here's something that's very cool.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28385580/#Comment_28385580

One of the Halo Penny Arcade community members was lucky to have his son. Way back when, he shared a pic of his son sleeping next to a Master Chief action figure:

DSC01409.jpg

Here he is nine years later, holding the same action figure with his new little brother:

image.jpg

This is so cute.

I'll make sure to have my babby hold my play arts kai figure and take a picture at some point.

I love how Metroid is looking on in the background like "I PROMISED MYSELF I WOULDN'T CRY"

Samus has done nothing but cry since the Other M came out.

Another possibility.
I'm curious then, do you think it'll be full priced and fully featured?
When do you expect Halo 5 then? Because I see the same churning issue occurring if it's not Halo 5.
I wonder what happened to Shake Appeal's Halogaf dissertation?
Halo 4.
I surmised shake finished his dissertation a while ago, HaloGAF related or not.
Welp.
For better or worse that was not written by a lawyer, if you get my drift.
Unfortunate, it felt like there was some good excitement and ground swell around AGL at times.

Playstation 4 w/Copy of Knack and 1-year Membership to Playstation + - $550

Hi!

I happen to be one of the winners for the Taco Bell Playstation 4 giveaway.

However, I don't really have time to game much and won't really have a use for the prize, so I have decided to sell it instead.

According to what I have received, the Playstation 4 will be delivered to me tomorrow, Tuesday Nov. 12th and will be available 3 days before the actual launch of the Playstaion 4 on Nov. 15th.

If you are interested, shoot me a text at _______. I will not ask for anything up front, just payment at time of exchange.

GUYS I'M ALL IN. I'm not the only one thinking this is a fantastic deal, right? Seem too good to be true? I'm afraid of getting driven an hour to Salt Lake only to get scammed. Seriously, $400 PS4, $50 for PS+ and $60 for Knack = $510. I'm basically paying $40 for getting it 3 days early. Holy shit I seriously need to jump on this but I've never dealt with Craigslist before. Nervous.

EDIT: Taxes would be those $40... basically paying nothing for an early PS4. I need my parents now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's probably legit. I just looked at the GAF thread for that promo, apparently consoles are shipping in this time period.

Bring a friend though, just to be safe.

edit: oh and for you PS4 dudes- guessing you already know, but Amazon's doing a B2G1 on most PS4 launch titles tomorrow from 11AM-3PM central (I think that's the time anyway).

Fuchsdh

I'm curious then, do you think it'll be full priced and fully featured?
When do you expect Halo 5 then? Because I see the same churning issue occurring if it's not Halo 5.

Halo 5 in 2015 seems reasonable to me.

If the 2014 Halo for Xbox One was an ODST-like expansion, I imagine it would be slightly cheaper, and I don't imagine it would be so big a drain as to derail Halo 5's production.

*Incoming rampant speculations*

Problem with all this guesswork is we don't have a clear idea what 343 is capable of as a studio now. With ODST, a lot of the dev team were the people slated to work on Chronicles. They were "free" resources in a sense that they could throw on the project without adjusting Reach's timeframe, or that of Destiny.

We know that back in 2007-8, 343 Industries was basically a half-dozen people. We know that there were as many as 350 people including contractors who worked on the game;[1][2] I haven't seen a reliable estimate for how large the team is now, however.

We do know that a number of key campaign- and multiplayer-related staff have left, but we haven't seen as much about the hirings, and we can't really judge timetables from that either--for example, Halo 4's writer Chris Schlerf left just recently[3] but he's credited for the upcoming Arby-related comic series so I don't think he would have started on any game work.

So all the guesses about how much time doing a project would take 343, etc., is sort of a fool's errand (but one we all love to play!) without knowing more about how the studio is structured and staffed post-release.

Like many people here, I firmly subscribe to the "a game is late..." mantra, but I don't think we can say much about the studio's capabilities to deliver a quality title going forward since they're so new and maturing. I do hope that in the coming installments they're able to consolidate more of the periphery of the game experience into themselves; while Certain Affinity is awesome and has done some excellent work, Forge clearly suffered by being spun out as a dev chore, and I think that's partially unavoidable.

[1] http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/what-went-wrong-with-halo-4s-prometheans/
[2] http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191234/making_halo_4_a_story_about_.php
[3] http://teambeyond.net/chris-schlerf-leaves-343i/#sthash.b4CdQSUL.dpbs

Top Bottom