• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

feel

These are jokes, right? That's how it works in the game, only with the Right Analog (camera) stick. Been that way since Halo 3. (Possibly Halo 2, I can't remember.)
Yeah I think it was in Halo 2 already because I only remember being bugged by exiting in an undesired direction in Halo 1 (after the sequels were out and I got used to getting to choose).

Mix

I wish that I could've gone up to Austin for the Area One tour. Squidhands lives up there, I wonder if he checked it out.
I live in New Braunfels, GO UNICORNS!!!

Thanks Rev3rb! Jesus, I didn't realize the proportion of Team Slayer vs BR Slayer was that bad in Halo 2.

I only played on my favorite Halo 3 map 8 times in matchmaking?

Dang. I knew it wasn't much but I did not think it was that little. Avalanche I am cry.

Also, are there customs tonight?
Um, I'll prolly be on later, not sure about the rest of the last night crew. Orochinagis should teach us some better Spanish profanity.

Korosenai

Decided to play Halo 4 today for the first time in a long time, and noticed two things:

1. A lot of people quit

and

2. No one joins in

Did they disable join in progress or something? Almost every game i've played someone has quit, and no one ever joins in to fill in the empty spots.

Fuchsdh

Decided to play Halo 4 today for the first time in a long time, and noticed two things:

1. A lot of people quit

and

2. No one joins in

Did they disable join in progress or something? Almost every game i've played someone has quit, and no one ever joins in to fill in the empty spots.

They adjusted it so you were far less likely to join in progress on lopsided or in-progress games. Essentially JIP works at filling spots when people rage quit the loading screen or shortly thereafter, but that's about it now.

Mix

First off, fuck the people at Wurstfest this year. Too many fucking idiots I hulked out at lease 5 times. Second I hate people in this town. There's to many at the point in time and they need to fucking leave. Secondly, halo 4 is not a good halo game. It's an okay game if you're not paying attention to shit. Halo is supposed to have melee and grenades and wepons and no spirit and ads and amor powers like jet lack holy fuck is jet pack a fuck nut baby of a whore. I hate it. I also hate how over powered the dm r is. The battle rifle is the only rifle that should be in human halo. 343 neds to look at halo 3 and give it better net. Code and more of a sandbox. That's it. That and sandtarp. Please give us sandtrsp back again. It's was great. The chopper needs to come back. They fucked us in the long run with the prose knights and shit. Brining to fight no joke. Fucking sucks. I want a halo campaign that makes me what to play it again. I want halo ONE to be a good halo game. Cater to the pro crowd and the casual will follow. Looks at fucking cod it's successful without trying to make the sucky ass players feel good about they're participation medals. Please make halo good again. Holly shit. I'm at the water hole bar in new braunfels. When I get home I'm gonna play some good fucking halo: halo2vist a and I want people to play too.

Mix

I also wanted to add, STINKLES I've met you in person like 2 times at the last two RTXs and you won't drink with me what the fuck dude. I love what you do for work. Halo is still awesome I know the next one will be good because halo 4 has done nothing but get better as time goes in. I just want to get messed up and laugh at your beautiful Scottish face. Next summer you me Jessica and Andy need to go out and party Austin style bro. Shit'll be shweeet

Tunavi

Banned
I also wanted to add, STINKLES I've met you in person like 2 times at the last two RTXs and you won't drink with me what the fuck dude. I love what you do for work. Halo is still awesome I know the next one will be good because halo 4 has done nothing but get better as time goes in. I just want to get messed up and laugh at your beautiful Scottish face. Next summer you me Jessica and Andy need to go out and party Austin style bro. Shit'll be shweeet
I drank with Stinkles.

Omni

You guys think they'll go completely metro with the main menu in Halo 5? Halo 4's was a mess... But playing Assassin's Creed IV has convinced me that it can work.

unCLsIl.png

It's so simple. Obviously they should come up for a better solution for player cards in lobbies (having them vertical à la Reach would be a start), but in general it's a cool concept.

Booshka

First off, fuck the people at Wurstfest this year. Too many fucking idiots I hulked out at lease 5 times. Second I hate people in this town. There's to many at the point in time and they need to fucking leave. Secondly, halo 4 is not a good halo game. It's an okay game if you're not paying attention to shit. Halo is supposed to have melee and grenades and wepons and no spirit and ads and amor powers like jet lack holy fuck is jet pack a fuck nut baby of a whore. I hate it. I also hate how over powered the dm r is. The battle rifle is the only rifle that should be in human halo. 343 neds to look at halo 3 and give it better net. Code and more of a sandbox. That's it. That and sandtarp. Please give us sandtrsp back again. It's was great. The chopper needs to come back. They fucked us in the long run with the prose knights and shit. Brining to fight no joke. Fucking sucks. I want a halo campaign that makes me what to play it again. I want halo ONE to be a good halo game. Cater to the pro crowd and the casual will follow. Looks at fucking cod it's successful without trying to make the sucky ass players feel good about they're participation medals. Please make halo good again. Holly shit. I'm at the water hole bar in new braunfels. When I get home I'm gonna play some good fucking halo: halo2vist a and I want people to play too.
Let's not "looks at fucking CoD", like ever. Make a Halo game.

Also DMR is a reskinned Halo CE Pistol without the core mechanics of skill based aiming and movement to support it. I love single shot precision weapons, they are great for Halo, as long as the core mechanics support it. I'm pretty drunk as well, but the BR outcry is nonsense, BR is only viable because of how stupid easy it is to aim in Halo past Halo CE. Single shot, precision rifle is a great utility starter weapon for Halo as long as it takes skill to move and shoot in Halo again.

gAg CruSh3r

Also DMR is a reskinned Halo CE Pistol without the core mechanics of skill based aiming and movement to support it. I love single shot precision weapons, they are great for Halo, as long as the core mechanics support it. I'm pretty drunk as well, but the BR outcry is nonsense, BR is only viable because of how stupid easy it is to aim in Halo past Halo CE. Single shot, precision rifle is a great utility starter weapon for Halo as long as it takes skill to move and shoot in Halo again.

I just feel like the DMR had to much aim assist and was very OP. They need to make it more like the Halo CE pistol but with a slower rate of fire and 4/5 shot and less aim assist IMO. I always love the BR start but they do need to reduce the aim assist.

You know what, they need to reduce the aim assist in every gun. Haha.

Even if it doesn't take skill to move, a single shot precision weapon should be the utility weapon.

I'd be fine with making the BR spread tighter, 3sk with aim assist similar to ZB Reach DMR (easier than Pistol) and map pickup only. I'd like to see Halo return to AR/Pistol starts. Let's start with that; it would be great for Halo's "classic" identity.

Mix

You know what I meant thou man dont be that guy. I meant the none catering to the bad players like they did with 4. I didnt say make cod of halo5
I drank with Stinkles.

10/10 am jealous, would want to do again
I'm also home, someone play good halo with me. my GT is MIXMASTERCHlEF with an l in chief you guys get it, I say it alk the ducking time

DMR was overpowered in Halo 4 for the same reason the Pistol was overpowered in Halo:CE. It was viable across every range, which allowed it to dominate.

DMR in Reach, while problematic, wasn't as overpowered, because bloom ensured that you had to reduce your rate of fire at range to maintain accuracy, and increasing your firing-rate in close-combat also hurt accuracy. So you had a utility weapon that dominated at the range most of the battles in Halo start at (mid-range), and then got noticeably less useful outside that intended range.

The BR in Halo 3 was relatively well-balanced for the same reason. In Halo 2, it was overpowered (though not nearly as much so as the Pistol in Halo:CE) because of hit-scan. In Halo 3, the spread of the bullets insured the weapon gradually decreased in effectiveness the further away your target was. You could always be sure the first of the 3-shot burst would hit, which meant that you could ping snipers out of zoom, but the remaining shots might not, ensuring that it didn't dominate at range quite like it did at mid-range or in close.

A balanced DMR would have a lower range and a lower rate of fire. The lower range and lower rate of fire would still allow you to defend yourself at range, but just enough to maneuver into effective range for the proper battle, or to get yourself to cover, retreat, reacquire, re-engage. The lower firing cap, would ensure that in close, up against AR, or pistols, or shotgun, you would likely come out on the losing end - forcing the player to play smart instead of just charge in with their go-to gun and hammer the trigger.

I agree with some here who suggest that the BR should be a pick-up on the map. A more short-to-mid range option, that allows you to deal damage faster in close, but loses some effectiveness at mid-range, and loses a great deal of the ability to combat snipers or defend oneself at long range. If a DMR and BR meet head to head, the DMR user should be trying to create space, while the BR user tries to close. A battle of tactics as much as one of aiming.

TL;DR version

3 Necessities of a balanced utility weapon:

1) Strong at mid-range, where most battles in Halo initiate
2) Useful for defense at long-range, able to knock snipers out of zoom or pester players (range cap and/or fire rate cap can achieve this).
3) Should have a disadvantage at close-range to close-range specialty weapons (fire rate cap can achieve this)

Nowise10

You guys think they'll go completely metro with the main menu in Halo 5? Halo 4's was a mess... But playing Assassin's Creed IV has convinced me that it can work.

It's so simple. Obviously they should come up for a better solution for player cards in lobbies (having them vertical à la Reach would be a start), but in general it's a cool concept.

..That doesn't fit Halo at all. Imagine CoD having that.

Tunavi

Banned
So I like the halo 3 story except for the fact that I dont actually why the fuck they were doing things at the end.

Why did they light installation 4 and how was it a miraculous fix to end the war?

daedalius

So I like the halo 3 story except for the fact that I dont actually why the fuck they were doing things at the end.

Why did they light installation 4 and how was it a miraculous fix to end the war?

The flood followed them to the Ark, all of the flood presumably. By lighting the ring, they destroyed the flood infestation that followed.

To kill the huge Flood presence at the arc [the true danger], while still being safely outside the galaxy.

Kill most of the flood, and disable the Ark so that the Covenant couldn't use it to set off the rings and wipe out life across the galaxy.

The fact that they never definitively finalized what happened with the Flood, or how they made sure to wipe them out always bugged me. I mean, right before the headed into the slip-space portal to the Ark, a Covenant cruiser completely infected with flood hit the Earth. They took that one out, obviously, but are we really to assume that the flood only managed to take over two Covenant ships (including High Charity)?

Hell, in one of the final scenes in Halo 2, you see spores floating through space after the collision between In Amber Clad and High Charity. For a organism supposedly so resilient and hard to keep in check, the notion that they were all conveniently confined to two ships is a little bit...unsatisfying.

Is there more than one Stinkles? I've seen some posts that seem pretty shady for someone that high profile to put out there.

Well to be honest, people who are interested in what Frankie tweets mainly look in the Halo threads, no one really stalks him, and see what he posts where. Rightfully so, Frankie shouldn't have to censor himself about subjects that he's passionate about. Just like we are passionate about or opinions on Halo.

Also, I looked back and see what Mix posted and I was not disappointed.

Top Bottom