• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

FyreWulff

So you mean to tell me CE could've been ported to XBL but Bungie didn't want it to be? Is that what I just read?

At the very least, this just shows that Bungie wasn't ready for the explosion in Halo's popularity.

They didn't want it because it would have pulled people off Halo 2 to port a game they already finished to the same hardware. They also didn't want to outsource it.

Considering how all-hands-on-deck Halo 2 ended up being, a Halo 1 refresh might have actually been fatal to Halo 2's development.

edit: this article now paints an additional interesting parallel between Halo 2 and Halo 4 now: both had a Halo 1 port with Live proposed during their development.

Computer

Five for Halo 5

I don't know if you guys picked up on this, but a couple guys (including me) from the BeyondEnt forums have been working on a letter to 343 that basically outlines what we want to see happen with Halo 5's multiplayer.

This is great. All the complaining on the forms will not have as much of a impact as this will. I really hope they read it.

daedalius

Five for Halo 5

I don't know if you guys picked up on this, but a couple guys (including me) from the BeyondEnt forums have been working on a letter to 343 that basically outlines what we want to see happen with Halo 5's multiplayer.

I got down to "Halo 3 has perfect aiming for widescreen"

I guess I forgot how awful the aim acceleration for Halo 3 was.

"the competitive community"

They didn't want it because it would have pulled people off Halo 2 to port a game they already finished to the same hardware. They also didn't want to outsource it.

Considering how all-hands-on-deck Halo 2 ended up being, a Halo 1 refresh might have actually been fatal to Halo 2's development.

They should've allowed Microsoft to outsource it. Honestly, that's some crazy news to hear and makes me think less of Bungie. Just think about all they did to make Halo more casual-friendly while drastically diminishing the meta game over the years.

A entire history of poor decisions that could've been pointed out en masse if CE ever reached the population of XBL. It's bullshit. Bungie never improved Matchmaking to provide more options other than what they wanted you to play, they kept forcing change on the gameplay mechanics when it was PHENOMENAL to begin with, etc. etc.

edit: this article now paints an additional interesting parallel between Halo 2 and Halo 4 now: both had a Halo 1 port with Live proposed during their development.

Jesus.. How depressing. So close, yet so far. And people wonder why I am the way I am over that game.

Fuck the police. Xbox One should've shipped with CE on XBL
and/or KI :]
in every box.

I just started playing Halo 4 recently, so this may sound dumb. I have ALL the DLC, but I don't think I've ever encountered a DLC map in matchmaking. Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, I never run into the DLC maps either.

I miss Vertigo. Killing people with lightning was fun.

Yeah seriously, that map was fun. All the DLC maps in Halo 4 were pretty good IMO, better than most of the on-disc ones. It's just a damn shame that they're never played on because they're locked behind a paywall AND Matchmaking limitations.

Again, something a CGB could easily fix. Population be damned, if I can find ONE game with the settings that I want to play, that's already better than 95% of MM.

wwm0nkey

343, please go back to big sandbox battles

i7JAVkLOQxHML.gif

....please

(yes I am aware that you wont actually be running around in that while playing)

wwm0nkey

I dont remember any memorable big battle in Halo outside of Reach and the Space ship battle in Halo 3.

Well Halo has always had open combat areas that most consider big in that you can take on a problem in a few ways, now you are right about the BIG battles being those 2 in Reach/3.

From what I am hearing though KZ:SF has that open ended level design in Single Player and I am VERY excited for that.

So I finally played around with my School's 3D printer and printed out a small Master Chief Helmet, was fun to chip off and finish it. :) Gonna paint it and just place it on my desk.

jbtHXVxNrkRILh.jpg

I didn't have enough time to print out the Tomb Stone saying RIP

So I finally played around with my School's 3D printer and printed out a small Master Chief Helmet, was fun to chip off and finish it. :) Gonna paint it and just place it on my desk.

jbtHXVxNrkRILh.jpg

I didn't have enough time to print out the Tomb Stone saying RIP

Looks good. I've always wanted to play around with a 3d printer, as I saw one in a Microsoft store and it blew my mind. I would need to brush up on my CAD skills that I haven't put to use in 2 1/2 years, haha

wwm0nkey

I want a 3D printer just so I can print out 3D models from games that will never get figures.
(Will print out A LOT of MegaMan Legends stuff)

Fuchsdh

So over on the piece FUD published today a chap had an interesting query that seems like it might be in the wheelhouse of some here:

What about Map importing? Like uploading a designed structure to a new environment, not the one you forged it in?
-Guy

Sounds like it would require a pretty radical reworking of how the system has worked in the past (essentially baking items into maps.)

It's because there's maybe 15k peak population nightly. Nothing wrong on your end.
Well it seems that 343i tricked me into buying maps I'll never play. Jokes on me, I guess.

I don't think I'll even be able to get the "play each Castle map once" achievement. What a load of crap.

Karl2177

Five for Halo 5

They're decent points but some of the reasoning behind them is a load of bollocks.
Here's the issue of a dynamic aim assist: If you a shooting from a distance, your target is going to be far enough away(and as a result moving relatively slower) that the lack of aim assist isn't going to make a difference. If your target is close up, you aren't going to have to move the stick that much anyways.

Halo 3's aim assist is perfect? Heh. I mean it's better than Halo 2 or 4, but Reach has better aiming by far.

"People are going two titles back to a game made 6 years ago" Yeah. Because it was free, not because of some mass exodus of Halo players deciding that it was leagues better. People realized that there might be a population boost because of the Games for Gold, and so they decided to go back and get a few games in. I'd be more than willing to bet that the next Live charts show Halo 4 above Halo 3 again.

I stopped caring around point 4, because it was getting into the tedious garbage styled writing that I expect from THC or whatever the fuck Gandhi does nowadays.

I guess they didn't want to really send it from from any particular person, idk, but whatever, that's not the point of the letter.

Or someone feels the need to make their hyperbole known to all under the scope of the highly lauded competitive community.

Booshka

Well it seems that 343i tricked me into buying maps I'll never play. Jokes on me, I guess.

I don't think I'll even be able to get the "play each Castle map once" achievement. What a load of crap.

Ya don't buy DLC maps for Halo, their integration into matchmaking is terrible. They also just stay at full price forever and hardly ever get discounted, by the time they do, most of the population has left.

So this is a bit surprising... NECA has the Halo license:

NECA AND 343 INDUSTRIES ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP FOR NEW LINE OF HALO MERCHANDISE

Hillside, NJ – November 12, 2013 - National Entertainment Collectibles Association (NECA), entertainment conglomerate and global leader in licensed consumer goods, has partnered with 343 Industries for a new worldwide merchandise program for “Halo®”, the award-winning franchise that has shaped video game and entertainment history.

“We are thrilled to be part of a franchise with such wide-reaching impact,” said Joel Weinshanker, president and COO of NECA. “Bringing the rich universe of Halo to tangible form is an honor, and we’ll be working closely with 343 Industries to ensure Halo’s loyal fans around the world are pleased with the result.”

The new line will be available to consumers beginning in April 2014, and will include a wide assortment of products, including 1:4 scale action figures, mini figures, DOT-approved motorcycle helmets, prop replicas, board games, and HeroClix miniatures games for a variety of platforms.

“We love seeing the Halo worlds and aspects of its universe being translated into new forms and functions, but it’s rare that we get the chance to see its rules, modes of play and strategies reinterpreted through another lens, so we couldn’t be happier to return to the world of HeroClix and Halo with our old friends at NECA and the broader partnership, with replicas, large scale action figures and more is going to bear some amazing fruit. But I won’t lie, the idea of cruising around on my motorbike with a Halo-inspired DOT approved helmet gives me goose bumps,” said Frank O’Connor, Franchise Development Director of 343 Industries.

Halo inspired Motorcycle helmets does sound amazing. Watch this be related to those Xbox One avatars that looked like Halo helmets, lol.

I feel like it is only a matter of time til McFarlane drops Halo entirely.

They should've allowed Microsoft to outsource it. Honestly, that's some crazy news to hear and makes me think less of Bungie. Just think about all they did to make Halo more casual-friendly while drastically diminishing the meta game over the years.

A entire history of poor decisions that could've been pointed out en masse if CE ever reached the population of XBL. It's bullshit. Bungie never improved Matchmaking to provide more options other than what they wanted you to play, they kept forcing change on the gameplay mechanics when it was PHENOMENAL to begin with, etc. etc.

Jesus.. How depressing. So close, yet so far. And people wonder why I am the way I am over that game.

Fuck the police. Xbox One should've shipped with CE on XBL
and/or KI :]
in every box.
I support this post. I understand the desire not to interfere with Halo 2, but at some point just make the game that a ton of fans have been asking for on xbox live. Wanna make up for Halo4 and Reach? Put CE on xbox live. Done.

I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but I've been hosting a live Destiny news show every Tuesday on Twitch. A few of you might know tonight's guest if you've hung out with the Halo crowd at PAX the last few years:

-------
On tonight's episode of dboTV, the shy and timid Bungie.Org regular GrimBrotherOne makes a splash. You've been warned.

Watch here:
http://www.twitch.tv/destinybungieorg

or over at DBO:
http://destiny.bungie.org/dbotv/
(Click on the purple bar below the logo to see the stream and chat.)

The show starts at 10:00pm EST (7:00pm PST).

Fuchsdh

Welp, the Bioshock Infinite DLC was hella' disappointing. Anyone wanna hop into multi-team with me?

in b4 'from a disappointment to a disappointment' jokes

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm not sure if you guys are aware, but I've been hosting a live Destiny news show every Tuesday on Twitch. A few of you might know tonight's guest if you've hung out with the Halo crowd at PAX the last few years:

-------
On tonight's episode of dboTV, the shy and timid Bungie.Org regular GrimBrotherOne makes a splash. You've been warned.

Watch here:
http://www.twitch.tv/destinybungieorg

or over at DBO:
http://destiny.bungie.org/dbotv/
(Click on the purple bar below the logo to see the stream and chat.)

The show starts at 10:00pm EST (7:00pm PST).

RT

So I'm feeling in the mood for some Halo, but I'm not sure what I want to play. I don't think I'm about to replay the entire series, so I'm wondering what I'd enjoy jumping into(I've played everything except Wars, which I'm not really interested in).

If I were to go back to 3(strictly single player), does it make more sense to play ODST before or after?

So I'm feeling in the mood for some Halo, but I'm not sure what I want to play. I don't think I'm about to replay the entire series, so I'm wondering what I'd enjoy jumping into(I've played everything except Wars, which I'm not really interested in).

If I were to go back to 3(strictly single player), does it make more sense to play ODST before or after?

Probably before, since it's more of a prequel to Halo 3

Mix

Shameless plug here, but:
as some of you might know, I am an indie filmmaker, I love to write and direct but I've never done any sort of actual film. That is no longer the case. You see, I need your help to raise six thousand dollars to not only make my dreams come true, but to finally complete a project that I dedicated to my Grandfather before he passed away. Check it out, and remember that if you can't donate, that I would appreciate it you could share it via social networking or in the real world. Thanks again guys, Have a great day!
Check it out at: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hometown-a-short-film/x/5351674

as some of you might know, I am an indie filmmaker, I love to write and direct but I've never done any sort of actual film. That is no longer the case. You see, I need your help to raise six thousand dollars to not only make my dreams come true, but to finally complete a project that I dedicated to my Grandfather before he passed away. Check it out, and remember that if you can't donate, that I would appreciate it you could share it via social networking or in the real world. Thanks again guys, Have a great day!
Check it out at: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hometown-a-short-film/x/5351674

Just a tip, you misspelled Instagram in the Read More section. "Inastagram."

I wonder who's doing the music for this project? ;)

Top Bottom