• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

IHaveIce

Banned
Welcome to a new hardware launch. Some random tiny % of units will have issues.

We will see how many will really be affected at launch, but it doesn't excuse it from happening.

They had enough time to test this shit, same with games that have to be patched at launch to run correctly, I don't want to fucking betatest stuff after their real launch.

Yes Halo 4 I'm also looking at you.

We will see how many will really be affected at launch, but it doesn't excuse it from happening.

They had enough time to test this shit, same with games that have to be patched at launch to run correctly, I don't want to fucking betatest stuff after their real launch.

I suspect the xbox one will have just as many problems, but it would be ironic if the PS4 became the new 360 box of faulty hardware.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

This happens with every single piece of hardware ever. That's what people don't get. There's always some people that get a defective unit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
BUT THE [INSERT ILLOGICAL STATEMENT], THAT IS WHY [INSERT MORE ILLOGICAL DINGLINGDONG] AND WILL LEAD TO [ELZAR'S PEE PEE].

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, PLYWOOD. WHY WON'T YOU UNDERSTAND [SOMETHING SOMETHING ACHORMAN 2 IS COMING OUT].
5VZt82g.png

wwm0nkey

Sucks to hear about Knack and Killzone.

Knack has reviews all over the place, so it seems like a Love or Hate deal where as Killzone seems to be settling in the 7 or 8's. What I was expecting honestly for Knack honestly but I had fun with the demo so I think I will like it.

Fuchsdh

I still have Primordium to get to but I just started A Feast For Crows last night. That book is a million pages long so it's gonna be a while lol

Well if you're getting through George you should be fine getting through Primordium. It's got a bit of a ponderous, Harry Potter-goes-camping vibe for the first part but picks up dramatically in the final third.

Both consoles should have waited until 2014.

Probably. It sounds like Sony jumped the gun first and Microsoft followed, though I suspect it'll be years before we get some good details on the development of both.

For Sony I could believe pure desperation drove their idea--the company as a whole is doing badly, worse than Microsoft. They really, really need a win.

So I turned my tv off, started the video waited maybe a half a second and then turned my tv on. My SONY bravia booted faster

That's definitely faster than my 360 Slim boots up. Way faster, if the time before the logo appears is just the time it takes for Kinect to recognize the command and boot from idle. I'm still a little surprised they didn't stick the OS on a small SSD to speed operations on either console. Seems like a no-brainer way to boost performance cheaply compared to throwing more RAM or compute cycles at a system.

Well if you're getting through George you should be fine getting through Primordium. It's got a bit of a ponderous, Harry Potter-goes-camping vibe for the first part but picks up dramatically in the final third.

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't mind that part. The events themselves aren't too exciting or meaningful, but the character exposition/development I found interesting. Then, like all of the Forerunner books, he spent just a tiny bit too long on each element, so every couple dozen pages things feel redundant.

I think with a more attentive caring editor, it would have been much better.

Fantastic news, hopefully Neca gets a chance yo make regular 6"-7" figures and McFarlane gets the boot.

I have high hopes on what they may deliver. Their GoW Lancers are fantastic, so I cannot wait to get a hold of what Halo will offer. Hopefully we can get something unique like a Needler.

:lol

How does that even happen, oh god.

There will definitely be more books. Dun worry.

Sounds good to me.

Hyped.

Fuchsdh

I think I'm one of the few people who didn't mind that part. The events themselves aren't too exciting or meaningful, but the character exposition/development I found interesting. Then, like all of the Forerunner books, he spent just a tiny bit too long on each element, so every couple dozen pages things feel redundant.

Oh, I agree, I love the Forerunner books because they play a nice dance between hard sic fi and fantasy writing without feeling to me as bloated and self-important as stuff like the Foundation trilogy can be at times. But I recognize that the style is definitely not something everyone will like, which is partially why I'm so happy 343 went for it and got someone who wasn't going to even try and be a military scifi guy in the mould of previous authors.

If I looked carefully enough, I bet I could find the page where he got the phone call reminding him when the deadline was. The last 20% of the book had like 95% of the interesting Halo-related things. I mean, it was well written and all but really bad structure.

They could talk to those people who do the "banged by velociraptors" Jurassic Park dime novels.

I shouldn't be encouraging you.

Hell, they don't even need to go that far - if they're commissioning I'll write a few paragraphs about Faber's birdy balls gnopping at the Didact's Maginot Line.

I accept payment as USD, buttcoins, Xena tapes and Hot Pockets.

My editor will handle communications. She's one of tumblr's premier slash fic writers and has written an algorithm to calculate how many alternating gigaboners (gbangps) a given work can generate depending on time and air pressure.

If I looked carefully enough, I bet I could find the page where he got the phone call reminding him when the deadline was. The last 20% of the book had like 95% of the interesting Halo-related things. I mean, it was well written and all but really bad structure.

Exactly. I think he got too caught up in developing all this shit he made up and then they're like "Bro, gotta have something something Halo at some point..." and he's like well shit, better get back to the branded sci-fi shit.

I think this is one of those cases where he started writing as a gardener and then was forced to go architect part-way through.

Fuchsdh

Oh absolutely it does.

Time to dash
Xbox One 15 seconds
Xbox 360 1 min 13 seconds

I was just making light of how Nelson said it would boot faster than my TV.

Oh, okay. Well, to be fair, it does boot faster than a lot of TVs, but that's not really a favorable standard. Trying to buy a TV without all this extra lag-inducing crap is a lot harder these days.

wwm0nkey

Oh, okay. Well, to be fair, it does boot faster than a lot of TVs, but that's not really a favorable standard. Trying to buy a TV without all this extra lag-inducing crap is a lot harder these days.
One day there will be gaming TVs with very minimal input lag....one day.

Tried the Xbox One today for the first time. Perfect controller and UI, KI and Crimson Dragon was tons of fun.

Did you play Crimson Dragon with a controller?

I'll be picking up KI, Dead Rising 3, Need for Speed: Rivals (if it gets shipped to Target before the buy 2 get 1 deal is up) and probably a random game I'll switch for Mario once that's released.

You would think the names of community creators would be in the blurbs about each map...Also wasn't the Butter map by someone here at HaloGAF?

One day there will be gaming TVs with very minimal input lag....one day.

My Samsung series 6/8 LED's have 4/5 ms response times in game mode respectively. I never complain about screen latency. My PC monitors are 2ms and I can't say I see or feel a difference. Although I do play on a wireless controller as well so perhaps I'm the wrong observer on such things. I prefer to play relaxed on my couch some distance back, whenever I play on my PC it feels so close and not as "sharp" as such. My days of downing an energy drink and sitting on the edge of my seat to compete are gone...perhaps I'm too complacent.

You could always go an IPS monitor but you're still going to be looking at 2ms pretty much.

I hope KI is good. Really the only XB1 launch game that appeals to me, and I'm not even a fighting game fan.

Same here, haven't been into fighting games since arcade/SNES days of SFII Turbo/hyper. Now I'm looking to purchase two fight sticks for my home X1 setup and KI. Any recommendations on X1/KI fight sticks? Not a big fan of Mad Catz stuff though.

Fracas

#fuckonami

I'll be picking up KI, Dead Rising 3, Need for Speed: Rivals (if it gets shipped to Target before the buy 2 get 1 deal is up) and probably a random game I'll switch for Mario once that's released.

I hope KI is good. Really the only XB1 launch game that appeals to me, and I'm not even a fighting game fan.

I hope it turns out good too for many reasons. Double Helix handling the development well, classic IP, downloadable only, smaller budget with bigger ambitions. It seems like they're setting realistic goals and actually taking a lot of feedback into account. Going forward, I hope we see more of this from other devs.

As far as other games, Crimson Dragon has me slightly hyped because you can play it with a controller and I haven't had that Star Fox fix in a long time B] - Also, Dead Rising 3 co op is probably going to be a lot fun and NFS: Rivals looks better every time I see it. I love how it's open world and has some fun-looking power-ups.

This. I've never found any interest in any fighting game whatsoever, but Killer Instinct actually looks kinda fun to me.

I was like this, I wrote fighting games off but once I found i started getting interested in SF4 things changes. They are as deep as you make them. You can mash buttons and do pretty well but feel nothing. You can learn a few combos and enjoy your victory but once you learn the in's and out's of the game. What moves you can link to make your own combo's. What frames grant invincibility. What you can do to block, avoid and take advantage of an opponent the games become a whole different game. winning feels much sweeter.

danwarb

Oh absolutely it does.

Time to dash
Xbox One 15 seconds
Xbox 360 1 min 13 seconds

I was just making light of how Nelson said it would boot faster than my TV.

That's from completely off though? It should come up from low power mode in a few seconds. Everything in memory.

Ki is really fun. If you are a fan of the original KI then you will enjoy this game.

I played Crimson Dragon with a controller indeed.It's just like panzer,pretty fun game.

gAg CruSh3r

neono0xkyu.gif

You would think the names of community creators would be in the blurbs about each map...Also wasn't the Butter map by someone here at HaloGAF?

I don't think so but my map I enter was Blurtle. Also FireStone did not make it and that was the only good map.
Still disappointed in the results that my map did not make it and the maps they picked were horrible.

Top Bottom