• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Trey

Exactly, i don't care about her. They need to make sure the game plays like Halo.

Hold on now. Talent is talent, and I'm not downplaying her leaving. You want to be firing on all cylinders, it's just that the places that Halo 5 really needs to impress in aren't in the graphical department per se.

wwm0nkey

Xbox Fitness seems pretty cool and very few games like it are on the market. Especially considering how barren the developmental scene is on the Kinect.

But I guess anything that isn't a AAA title is a waste of time these days.
I really don't understand how the Kinect dev scene is barren since its packed in with the box. Games just wont use it asap just like the PS4 touch pad isn't being used.

On a random personal note regarding the last statement, I think due to cost of development and advertisements the AAA market is going to slow down soon while smaller titles take over for a bit because 500k sold =/= profit anymore and its eating a lot of dev studios alive. That seems to be happening now a bit more and indies are supported on all systems :)

I would argue that Destiny is not really aiming to be a competitive multiplayer fps, I hope to be proved wrong but I dont think Bungie has much interest there. Also I figure Titanfall will put up big competition.

I didn't say CoD was a competitive multiplayer title either; I meant Activision will hold a monopoly over two big titles that are pimping themselves out to both consoles - one moreso than the other (MS gets calladuty first, Sony gets Destiny beta first), but in reality it doesn't matter because both those decisions are being strung by Activision to imply some air of competition - not in the gameplay, but between the two titles, which will probably spur some additional sales.

Regardless, unless Bungie's Halo was an anomaly and Destiny bombs, Activision is going to be making bank.

I didn't say CoD was a competitive multiplayer title either; I meant Activision will hold a monopoly over two big titles that are pimping themselves out to both consoles - one moreso than the other (MS gets calladuty first, Sony gets Destiny beta first), but in reality it doesn't matter because both those decisions are being strung by Activision to imply some air of competition - not in the gameplay, but between the two titles, which will probably spur some additional sales.

Regardless, unless Bungie's Halo was an anomaly and Destiny bombs, Activision is going to be making bank.

Dont disagree with you there!

daedalius

Hopefully Corrine did most of the engine work for h5 already before leaving.

Still, kinda sucks.

I imagine a lot of the work she did was readily scalable to the new hardware, since I'm sure they had that in mind already with their revisions.

Fuchsdh

Are there customs planned for tomorrow?
Any customs today?
I'm away from my Xbox today and will be gone for Thanksgiving in the wilds of the North
New England
for that weekend. I'm down for running another night on the 7th of December, though. Mark yo' calendars!

Power Slayer was an Action Sack gametype back in Halo Reach, now it returns with Halo 4's refined scored system on top and infinite customization options.

(snip)

Sounds cool. I'll download it when I'm back to my 'Box. You don't specify, but this doesn't require any special maps like HH/RHR right? Any stock map that supports slayer/FFA will be fine?

Corrine Yu bounced out of MS?

whelp

Shocking news indeed, makes me worried about the quality of the next Halo.
Now I'm a bit skeptical about their next game...

Do devs ever mention about all their former colleagues leaving their team? Like how will this effect their current and future projects, and their team as a whole? I figured it's just a natural thing to happen in the industry, but it's unusual seeing many of these lead people leaving within this year and it's only been a year since their game has been out.

Fuchsdh

Now I'm a bit skeptical about their next game...

Do devs ever mention about all their former colleagues leaving their team? Like how will this effect their current and future projects, and their team as a whole? I figured it's just a natural thing to happen in the industry, but it's unusual seeing many of these lead people leaving within this year and it's only been a year since their game has been out.

It's kind of hard to really draw any conclusions. In retrospect the creative director leaving before Halo 4 released was pretty clearly a difference of opinion. But lots of people leave at varying times during and after development of a game and while development on the next series is ramping up--partially it's when they find new jobs, when their role in development on the new game is up, and a whole host of personal reasons.

Game devs shouldn't have their life combed over anyhow, so I say that noting their gone and wishing them well is all that needs to be said. Short of legions of key staff leaving shortly before a game should be going to presses or an entire team jumping ship (CoD), it's pretty rare to actually be able to draw inferences from job transitions to development.

Corrine Yu is one thing, but I kinda hope her husband goes over to ND too. I mean, he's the art director.

Now think for a second about what immediately springs to mind when you think "halo 4 art direction."

Flipyap

Now think for a second about what immediately springs to mind when you think "halo 4 art direction."
Buttholes.

raFniXW.jpg
jqisrZI.jpg

IHaveIce

Banned
Xbox Fitness seems pretty cool and very few games like it are on the market. Especially considering how barren the developmental scene is on the Kinect.

But I guess anything that isn't a AAA title is a waste of time these days.

No not anything not being an AAA title is a waste of time, but one of the guys who co-invented Halo CE working on some Fitness Kinect game, yes that is a waste of talent.

I would argue that Destiny is not really aiming to be a competitive multiplayer fps, I hope to be proved wrong but I dont think Bungie has much interest there. Also I figure Titanfall will put up big competition.

Have you been reading the recent Bungie weekly updates? Some of them have exclusively been focused on hyping the competitive MP. That and one of the recent podcasts they did have shown that they are pretty interested in it.

Have you been reading the recent Bungie weekly updates? Some of them have exclusively been focused on hyping the competitive MP. That and one of the recent podcasts they did have shown that they are pretty interested in it.
As an official Em el Ji, I regret to inform you that making a skill-based shooter in which players compete doesn't mean anything unless my pals and I deem it to be "competitive enough", sorry.

Space magic + sage = ???
But excited for Halo 5. Just shoot me.

Woorloog

Banned
I doubt Destiny PVP will be "competitive" enough for HaloGAF.
Player equipment, levels, abilities... eh, not too different from COD i think. Not saying it can't be competitive but it ain't classic Halo-competitive for sure.
I could be wrong... but i reckon i won't be.
EDIT and i think Reach was a testbed for some Destiny concepts, AAs are surprisingly similar to Destiny abilities, in function and execution...

daedalius

As an official Em el Ji, I regret to inform you that making a skill-based shooter in which players compete doesn't mean anything unless my pals and I deem it to be "competitive enough", sorry.

But excited for Halo 5. Just shoot me.

Being excited about halo as a whole doesn't mean I have any love for anything akin to infinity settings.

FyreWulff

Shooting from the hip: MS still appears to be aiming for a two year cycle. Considering Corrine's role in development as a core engineer, a year out from release most of her exploratory/grunt work would be done at this point. Implementing core tech 5 months out from release is generally not a good idea. Halo 4 was built on top of Reach as it was, I imagine they're not going to throw it all away for Halo on the Xbox One, The All In One Entertainment System from Microsoft.

Being excited about halo as a whole doesn't mean I have any love for anything akin to infinity settings.
I'm just being a hypocrite, don't mind me.
Hating on people for liking 4 as I am hated on for liking Reach.

Oh, and by the way, the 2010 contract with Activision said there would be a mainline Destiny installment every 2 years, with "Comets" during the years in-between, and DLC throughout. It also said the first installment would release in 2013, so obviously, plans have changed.

What really blows my mind about Destiny is that they're making this unprecedented amount of guns for the game, introducing action abilities and super powers, classes with unique abilities, and yet still trying to throw everybody into a box and have a balanced competitive experience. That is a fucking huge undertaking, but I have faith that in the end the experience will be fun, and most importantly, well-maintained. Things they describe in the updates and podcasts like weapons falling into predictable classes, ammo drops that drive map movement, these things give me confidence that they're going to make something that traditional Halo players will still enjoy.

Don't fall for the traps.. We've seen this far too many times!

Woorloog

Banned
What really blows my mind about Destiny is that they're making this unprecedented amount of guns for the game, introducing action abilities and super powers, classes with unique abilities, and yet still trying to throw everybody into a box and have a balanced competitive experience. That is a fucking huge undertaking, and I have faith that in the end the experience will be fun, and most importantly, well-maintained.

It ain't going to be "balanced", obviously. Think WoW. Or any other MMO. Weapons will obviously matter (they have stats, you have stats, others have different stats), unless PVP has default stats that override normal stats.
Of course this would lead to player-equipment being cosmetic and partially makes getting stuff irrelevant (aside from the looks). Considering what Destiny is, i doubt there will be equalization for PVP.
I know i'd hate that in a game like Destiny: if i get loot, it must be usable too everywhere in the game* or i might as well play something else.

*Barring occasional balance/practicality things, for example WoW's uber spells that are barred in Arena.

Destiny may not be the competitive game that the older Halo games were, but it will be a fun game because Bungie's track record shows even at their worst(Reach), the game is still enjoyable. That alone gives me a lot more hope for Destiny than Halo 5 just because Halo 4 is 343's only game, and it is not very fun.

It ain't going to be "balanced", obviously. Think WoW. Or any other MMO. Weapons will obviously matter (they have stats, you have stats, others have different stats), unless PVP has default stats that override normal stats.
Of course this would lead to player-equipment being cosmetic and partially makes getting stuff irrelevant (aside from the looks). Considering what Destiny is, i doubt there will be equalization for PVP.
I know i'd hate that in a game like Destiny: if i get loot, it must be usable too everywhere in the game* or i might as well play something else.

*Barring occasional balance/practicality things, for example WoW's uber spells that are barred in Arena.

Destiny is not an MMO. It is a first-person action game, which is what Halo was. We don't know anything about player investment yet, but all signs point to an adversarial multiplayer game that ultimately holds its roots in Halo and will probably be more similar to Halo in game structure than Halo 4 was. Have you been reading every update and listening to every podcast?

Woorloog

Banned
Destiny may not be the competitive game that the older Halo games were, but it will be a fun game because Bungie's track record shows even at their worst(Reach), the game is still enjoyable. That alone gives me a lot more hope for Destiny than Halo 5 just because Halo 4 is 343's only game, and it is not very fun.

I found Reach (SP/MP both) only enjoyable when played in splitscreen with a friend (and with HaloGAF, though mostly for the company, not the game). Though arguably this same applies to Halo 3 (MP) and Halo 4 (MP) too, though the latter suffers very heavily from reduced graphics and some unplayable maps due to frame-rate issues in split-screen.

I wonder if Destiny will offer splitscreen co-op. Open world (or semi-open world) couch co-op would be awesome, be it Fallout, Elder Scrolls or anything else.

Woorloog

Banned
Destiny is not an MMO. It is a first-person action game, which is what Halo was. We don't know anything about player investment yet, but all signs point to an adversarial multiplayer game that ultimately holds its roots in Halo and will probably be more similar to Halo in game structure than Halo 4 was. Have you been reading every update and listening to every podcast?

Not an MMO?
Well, right, it is more of a pseudo-MMO, a game with all MMO hallmarks and trappings without quite being one:
Always online multiplayer game (and it is clearly designed for that even though it can be played solo), hub areas, item trading, character customization and leveling, open areas (demoed areas so far have been more like phased/instanced areas) though with much less people than MMOs-proper since the game does matchmaking behind the scenes (IIRC), quests... Has pretty much all the hallmarks of an MMORPG-FPS.
Sure, it offers PVP but then most MMOs do and it ain't Destiny's focus, which is more of a co-op quest/dungeon FPS.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo competitive multiplayer wasn't Combat Evolved's focus. It barely shipped with the game.

So? That was 2001. The game was made to be a single player game pretty much.
It was pure luck it happened to have a multiplayer that expanded to something more.
Bungie had foresight when they made Halo 2 with its multiplayer features but so far they've shown nothing for Destiny that elevates it above others (not that they've shown much).

So? That was 2001. The game was made to be a single player game pretty much.
It was pure luck it happened to have a multiplayer that expanded to something more.
Bungie had foresight when they made Halo 2 with its multiplayer features but so far they've shown nothing for Destiny that elevates it above others (not that they've shown much).

I doubt Destiny will be competitive. It focuses more on co-op. Also it wont do anything new as the shooting mechanics are like cod which is disappointing.

Woorloog

Banned
I doubt Destiny will be competitive. It focuses more on co-op. Also it wont do anything new as the shooting mechanics are like cod which is disappointing.

Exactly what i'm saying.
Now Bungie could have an ace in their sleeve. But i doubt that very much, for they're a big studio working for a big publisher, working with a game that is already a risk due to its scope (at least that's what's been implied, and the leaked contract certainly reinforces this notion), i doubt they'll add more to it. At least, not for Destiny 1.

Nowise10

I'd rather people claim Destiny isn't going to be competitive, then it is. Its better to not have your hopes up, rather then getting them crushed.

If it is a really good, competitive game, then that will be friggin awesome. If it isn't well, im not expecting it to be, so it doesnt really matter.

You should expect it to be fun, however.

Woorloog

Banned
I'd rather people claim Destiny isn't going to be competitive, then it is. Its better to not have your hopes up, rather then getting them crushed.

If it is a really good, competitive game, then that will be friggin awesome. If it isn't well, im not expecting it to be, so it doesnt really matter.

You should expect it to be fun, however.

The pessimistic attitude. Or perhaps it should be called the realistic attitude. OTOH, true optimist sees good even in a bad game and notes "at least that's good" rather than merely moaning about how bad the game ended up being even after being hyped.

Yeah, i reckon Destiny will be fun regardless, unless only absolutely balanced barebones competitive PVP is fun for one.

Top Bottom