• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I know this has been known for a while but don't you guys think it's lame that everyone on xbox one shows up as "Xbox One" to those on 360 and not what game they are playing?

I'm not paying $620 for a chance of good halo

lol. You're going to buy the next Halo and an Xbox One, regardless if it dropped in price.

I thought the purpose of that is at that point, Scarabs are still supposed to be these super units. N6 was never really intended to be a super hero like Chief, so N6's option is to just avoid them.

In the narrative order, you go from seeing these scary deadly walking tanks of doom and just avoiding them, to trapping and defeating one, to taking on two in a fair fight at once. This was honestly the only fuck up I felt with ODST, they shouldn't have had you take down a Scarab by yourself. They should have only had the ones you encounter on the highway. But I guess the engine support was there so someone couldn't resist putting one in there :3

Honestly, I don't know what people see in those Scarab battles. They're so easy and hardly have much replay once you've tried a few different approaches, not to mention they barely hurt you with anything but the stomp.

They should've been a more formidable enemy IMO.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Price drop plus pre launch hype will be formidable. You'll miss that old thing, especially if 343 says all the right things.

If the game looks good, the console drops to something like $300, and gaffers still like it after a couple of weeks then yes, I will buy an Xbox One.

The situation is basically the inverse of this generation. Where I primarily gamed on 360 and played PS3 only for exclusives, now I'll primarily play PS4 and only dip on an Xbox if there are must haves. Aside from a potential classic Halo game, there is literally nothing on Xbox One now or in the future that does more than vaguely pique my interest.

I'm not getting burned on a machine that would literally exist only for Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'll buy an Xbox One for Halo 5 after it comes out and the sources I trust (sorry Ryan McCaffrey) say it's good.

FyreWulff

Honestly, I don't know what people see in those Scarab battles. They're so easy and hardly have much replay once you've tried a few different approaches, not to mention they barely hurt you with anything but the stomp.

They should've been a more formidable enemy IMO.

To use the wrestling jargon, Bungie spent a bunch of time putting the Scarabs over, then had Soldier McGillicutty take one down by himself in a squash match.

It's possible to make them interesting again, but it'd require a revamp of what they are or putting them in a new context. It wouldn't be interesting to make them a Target Designator QTE either.

They could model an encounter with them like the capital ship battles in Crimson Skies, where the Covy and the UNSC are just throwing tons of materiel at each other and you can decide to either participate in using the main guns or the small units in between each "capital ship" (Scarab vs Mammoth, or Vulture vs Lich)

Maybe they should just cut the idea of super units altogether.

Fuchsdh

To use the wrestling jargon, Bungie spent a bunch of time putting the Scarabs over, then had Soldier McGillicutty take one down by himself in a squash match.

It's possible to make them interesting again, but it'd require a revamp of what they are or putting them in a new context. It wouldn't be interesting to make them a Target Designator QTE either.

They could model an encounter with them like the capital ship battles in Crimson Skies, where the Covy and the UNSC are just throwing tons of materiel at each other and you can decide to either participate in using the main guns or the small units in between each "capital ship" (Scarab vs Mammoth, or Vulture vs Lich)

The novelty of fighting them solo has worn off but I think they can still be useful, especially if we get large combat spaces back. Make the Scarabs just part of the arsenal you have to engage or avoid to get to your objective rather than te objective itself.

Flipyap

Story wise the Scarabs having inferior AI or technology makes sense in Reach since it was years before they arrived on Earth with them.

If we're going to poke fun at AI, let's look at the Elites in Halo 4.
But-but-but... Scarabs are creatures, you'd have to give them enough time to evolve better brains between games to come up with a technobabbly excuse.
At least the Elites you fight in H4LO were established as super dumb within the story. They're space creationists who still hang around after the dudes who wrote the space bible came out and admitted that it's all bullshit.

Talents

Banned
If Halo 5 was beastly, I would most likely buy an Xbox One just for Halo, But it'd have to be nothing like Halo 4 for me to even consider getting it. Like no sprint, no AA's, good ranking system, 4 shot BR, and no ordinance.

That being said, it's sort of a fanon consensus that Halo 2's Scarab is a mining tool while the Halo 3-era ones and up are combat tools.

And if video game logic teaches us anything, it's that mining tools are always loads more powerful than traditional weapons. See: Dead Space.

I'd like to see a Halo 3 Scarab try to blow open the Control Room doors.

That function wasnt retconet by the Harvester in Halo 4 ?

You can see the scarabs in Halo Legends attacking the outer colonies too.

Nah, I'm happy with my purchase. I just miss playing with HaloGAFfers.

When Halo 5 inevitably disappoints, maybe I'll have more of you guys to play with.

Halo 5 could deliver, lets wait and see. Even if it didn't i still prefer xbox for the ui and controller,franchises they offer.

The one with the boobies?

librariani.jpg

I still want a cortana figure

The novelty of fighting them solo has worn off but I think they can still be useful, especially if we get large combat spaces back. Make the Scarabs just part of the arsenal you have to engage or avoid to get to your objective rather than te objective itself.

Hmm so realistically, how much could 343's goal of reaching a locked 60fps impact other areas of the game? I can see that being our next excuse for any shortcomings, such as cutting back on having large combat spaces and interactive battles with these super units, no?

By the way, anyone with a Wii U has to buy Mario 3D World; that game is so fun and charming!
meowww

EDIT:
This has seriously been the best week for video games ever. Two new consoles, a new 2D Zelda, and Super Mario 3D World. It's nuts. I've played a little bit of Mario, but have mostly played Zelda since picking up both at midnight last night. Zelda is just utterly perfect.

Hopefully that Zelda 3DS XL bundle will be around for a while.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, anyone with a Wii U has to buy Mario 3D World; that game is so fun and charming!
meowww
This has seriously been the best week for video games ever. Two new consoles, a new 2D Zelda, and Super Mario 3D World. It's nuts. I've played a little bit of Mario, but have mostly played Zelda since picking up both at midnight last night. Zelda is just utterly perfect.

Fuchsdh

Hmm so realistically, how much could 343's goal of reaching a locked 60fps impact other areas of the game? I can see that being our next excuse for any shortcomings, such as cutting back on having large combat spaces and interactive battles with these super units, no?

meowww

EDIT:

Hopefully that Zelda 3DS XL bundle will be around for a while.

I imagine you've got more license for dips in campaign than multiplayer. Dropping four or five or six or even ten frames from a fairly constant 60fps is a whole different ballgame than dropping a third of your frames at 29.97 or 23.976fps. Depending on the drop the stuttering could still be noticeable but they've got leeway.

If I've got time I could try doing some examples based on the Digital Foundry specs for Reach and 4 to show how a similar drop would look at 60fps.

That said, 343 managed to keep the frame rate in Halo 4's campaign more solid than Reach's at all points, so I think that they'll be able to pull off the graphical challenge and still give us more breathing room in the playspaces and encounters.

In other words, I'm sure the playspaces won't be getting much bigger in multiplayer, but they certainly don't need to either.

FyreWulff

Every Halo could have been done at 60fps. They would have had to drop the graphical quality (not the expanse) to hit it, but they could have. The PC versions of Halo 1 and 2 running at 60fps show it's nothing to do with the engine, but what you try to make the engine do on the hardware you have.

Fact of the matter is, if you want 60fps, you're not going to graphically compete against 30fps games on the same fixed hardware. 343 has to obey the laws of physics, there.

Woorloog

Banned
Would trying to achieve 60fps impact physics (and AI)? Halos have quite a lot of physics objects, unlike COD (what other 60fps shooters there are). Boxes, vehicles, fusion coils, traffic cones...
Halo wouldn't be Halo without those, i think.

FyreWulff

Would trying to achieve 60fps impact physics (and AI)? Halos have quite a lot of physics objects, unlike COD (what other 60fps shooters there are). Boxes, vehicles, fusion coils, traffic cones...
Halo wouldn't be Halo without those, i think.

there might be a bit less physics objects, although Havok does pretty well with physics scaling anyway. Halo 1's physics model was very cpu costly and primitive, which is why most of the objects in Halo 1 are nailed to the ground :p

Woorloog

Banned
there might be a bit less physics objects, although Havok does pretty well with physics scaling anyway. Halo 1's physics model was very cpu costly and primitive, which is why most of the objects in Halo 1 are nailed to the ground :p

Which comes as a shock after a long break from Halo CE: driving a Warthog through the purple boxes... or trying to, only to bounce back and land badly and get splattered by the 'Hog.

But-but-but... Scarabs are creatures, you'd have to give them enough time to evolve better brains between games to come up with a technobabbly excuse.
At least the Elites you fight in H4LO were established as super dumb within the story. They're space creationists who still hang around after the dudes who wrote the space bible came out and admitted that it's all bullshit.

And their leader is a Space Otaku. He speaks in butchered Space Japanese to the point that he couldn't translate his name right (Jul and Gek don't match any Elite names we've seen so far) and spends the whole game trying to revive the Librarian, his Space Waifu.

"No! I must be the one to wake her! I want to smell her hai-I mean for the glory of the Covenant!"

Gek is just his fat nerd friend who follows along because he has nothing better to do.

Madness

Does it come close to A Link to the Past? That is probably my favorite game of all time. I was thinking of picking up the bundle, but it seems like a waste for just Zelda and then not playing it again.

Flipyap

And their leader is a Space Otaku. He speaks in butchered Space Japanese to the point that he couldn't translate his name right (Jul and Gek don't match any Elite names we've seen so far) and spends the whole game trying to revive the Librarian, his Space Waifu.

"No! I must be the one to wake her! I want to smell her hai-I mean for the glory of the Covenant!"

Gek is just his fat nerd friend who follows along because he has nothing better to do.
Raiburerian-senpai =^.^= ~~*

Man, I feel really bad for being so down on the Spartan Ops CG cartoon when it was still "airing". It took me until the last episode to realize what a comedy masterpiece it was.
I mean, "Catherine Halsey: the evil one-armed space lizard queen"? Goddamn, that's some quality material.

Raiburerian-senpai =^.^= ~~*

Man, I feel really bad for being so down on the Spartan Ops CG cartoon when it was still "airing". It took me until the last episode to realize what a comedy masterpiece it was.
I mean, "Catherine Halsey: the evil one-armed space lizard queen"? Goddamn, that's some quality material.

=^x^=

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Does it come close to A Link to the Past? That is probably my favorite game of all time. I was thinking of picking up the bundle, but it seems like a waste for just Zelda and then not playing it again.
It's way too early to say. I'm a huge LTTP fan, too, though, so here's some of my first impressions. Also, there's tons of great games on the 3DS! No need to limit yourself to just Zelda.

wwm0nkey

I don't think anyone is crazy enough to buy a $400 or $500 +tax system for only Halo....then again people did for KI so maybe there are.

*not dissing KI

TCKaos

Can Mods take CEA Campaign/MP assets (Weapons, Vehicles, MC character skins) and place them into the Anniversary Maps while running on CE gameplay on PC?

As far as I know one guy has managed to rip the BSP for Silent Cartographer from CEA, and that's the only asset I've seen ripped so far.

You got at least another game though right? lol

Also have you tried Crimson Dragon? looks amazing

lol of course. I got Forza, Dead Rising, and Zoo Tycoon. I've spent most of the time with KI since I've been waiting so long for it, but I did try Forza today and it really doesn't look that visually impressive. Rumble Triggers are cool though!

Crimson Dragon will probably come later when it's on sale, unless someone on GAF says it's great.

I go to places with kiosks just to kick peoples ass in KI, really fun game.

This is a good idea.

Top Bottom