• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I'd rather people claim Destiny isn't going to be competitive, then it is. Its better to not have your hopes up, rather then getting them crushed.

If it is a really good, competitive game, then that will be friggin awesome. If it isn't well, im not expecting it to be, so it doesnt really matter.

You should expect it to be fun, however.

Yea but there is a lot of fun games. COD is fun, not competitive. I think Destiny will be the same situation.

Don't fall for the traps.. We've seen this far too many times!

Honestly, yeah my expectations aren't too high from what we have heard so far. As a huge BTB guy, the total lack of elaboration on vehicles with only a few months out from beta scares the living hell out of me, if Bungie was confident in them they would have shown more than a brief glimpse so far. Also ADS is bearable but I really wish there would be more games without it, sad to see Bungie giving in to peer pressure for no good reason.

But yeah, Bungie has shown at the very least they are interested in the arena stuff from the few things they have talked about.

Woorloog

Banned
Honestly, yeah my expectations aren't too high from what we have heard so far. As a huge BTB guy, the total lack of elaboration on vehicles with only a few months out from beta scares the living hell out of me, if Bungie was confident in them they would have shown more than a brief glimpse so far. Also ADS is bearable but I really wish there would be more games without it, sad to see Bungie giving in to peer pressure for no good reason.

But yeah, Bungie has shown at the very least they are interested in the arena stuff from the few things they have talked about.

Isn't all we know about vehicles in Destiny at this point:
-All player have a speeder bike and a spacecraft.
-The spacecraft is customizable.
-You can hijack (how is unknown) an enemy speeder [I think this was mentioned in an interview with no real new info, can't recall what interview, or where].
-Spider-tank, devil-tank, something like that is more like a boss monster instead of actual vehicle.

Yea but there is a lot of fun games. COD is fun, not competitive. I think Destiny will be the same situation.

It's almost like my biting sarcasm is invisible. You can't say something isn't competitive when there is constant competition ensuing. Call of Duty is competitive. Halo 4 is competitive. Destiny will be competitive. Whether or not you find it to be worthy of YOUR competition is irrelevant to whether it is competitive or not.

It's kind of hard to really draw any conclusions. In retrospect the creative director leaving before Halo 4 released was pretty clearly a difference of opinion. But lots of people leave at varying times during and after development of a game and while development on the next series is ramping up--partially it's when they find new jobs, when their role in development on the new game is up, and a whole host of personal reasons.

Game devs shouldn't have their life combed over anyhow, so I say that noting their gone and wishing them well is all that needs to be said. Short of legions of key staff leaving shortly before a game should be going to presses or an entire team jumping ship (CoD), it's pretty rare to actually be able to draw inferences from job transitions to development.
True. Enough said.

Buttholes.
It looks like Halo 4 Grunts have a FUGA, Fat Upper Gooch Area.
dogs_ass.jpg
"Only On HaloGAF™"

Trey

Gonna wait for the beta before I make a decision one way or the other on Destiny. It looks underwhelming but Bungie gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Woorloog

Banned
Gonna wait for the beta before I make a decision one way or the other on Destiny. It looks underwhelming but Bungie gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

What we need is some proper raw gameplay (no talking, no explanations, no cuts in video, no bs, just pure gameplay) with skilled player (or someone who is seriously trying at least) on hard-equivalent difficulty level/area, with core gameplay concepts shown and used.
I don't get why most games don't show this pre-release, or if they do, it is on easy with a bad player or some such.

Isn't all we know about vehicles in Destiny at this point:
-All player have a speeder bike and a spacecraft.
-The spacecraft is customizable.
-You can hijack (how is unknown) an enemy speeder [I think this was mentioned in an interview with no real new info, can't recall what interview, or where].
-Spider-tank, devil-tank, something like that is more like a boss monster instead of actual vehicle.

Pretty much, yeah. They also confirmed in an interview very recently that there will be no space gameplay, it will be more akin to a cutscene when you travel between planets. Was hoping that the Reach sabre segment was Bungie dropping hints for future games, but alas...

Pretty much, yeah. They also confirmed in an interview very recently that there will be no space gameplay, it will be more akin to a cutscene when you travel between planets. Was hoping that the Reach sabre segment was Bungie dropping hints for future games, but alas...

I think we will see space combat/travel in Destiny 2 when Bungie is no longer held back by the 360/PS3.

belushy

Banned
Speaking of Betas, has 343 already confirmed they won't have a beta for Halo 5 like they did for Halo 4? Or there still potential for one?

I'd rather people claim Destiny isn't going to be competitive, then it is. Its better to not have your hopes up, rather then getting them crushed.

If it is a really good, competitive game, then that will be friggin awesome. If it isn't well, im not expecting it to be, so it doesnt really matter.

You should expect it to be fun, however.

Borderlands PvP is a fun scenario to see who have grinded X boss to get X weapon which is pointless because its a adventure game with not boss restriction time and most of the replay value ends when you get all the weapons so everyone can get any gun or weapon very easy from them unlike a MMO that makes you encounter X boss once in a determined time. I hope Bungie get some advice from Blizzard a create some sort of Arenas and PvP gear.

That tweet is hilarious. Having to code with the Windows 8 nonsense in mind because the "Metro" bullshit is so fully ingrained into the Xbone must be annoying.

"Legally, we aren't allowed to call it the Metro UI. It is now referred to as the 'Modern' UI. Thanks for understanding, ya'll."

Just embrace the ecosystem of the future already, guys. Geez.

Vico

Pre-rendered CGI trailer at E3, then nothing until screenshots in March. Thus far, it's been identical (although I'd expect a divergence come VGX).

We did have HaloFest and its concept art trailer.
And it gave a lot of insights into the world of Requiem.

Halo One seems so far away right now...

By the way, 343 better not start with micro-transactions (I know they did with Spartan Assault, but I'm talking about the main FPS games). Forza 5 is awful when it comes to micro-transactions.

Omni

By the way, 343 better not start with micro-transactions (I know they did with Spartan Assault, but I'm talking about the main FPS games). Forza 5 is awful when it comes to micro-transactions.
You know they are. At this point all we can do is hope that they're locked to cosmetic items and not weapons / abilities.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about that panel where they revealed no new information. I recall thinking to myself, "why have a panel about something you can't talk about?"

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to not get involved with Halo 4. Tell myself that it's over.

Even though it'd probably raise expectations beyond reasonable ones, it'd be neat to have a Concept Art Trailer for every new mainline title.

TheOddOne

Even though it'd probably raise expectations beyond reasonable ones, it'd be neat to have a Concept Art Trailer for every new mainline title.
An Ancient Bieber Awakens.

He wants to destroy the universe.

Master Chief must stop him.

*insert brass/inception sting at the end*

Joseph Staten shows up and says "Did you rike it?"

Tawpgun

Back from my other ban hows it going

No idea, but apparently enough to feel relieved to not have to code for it anymore. With Corrine's engineering chops and experience, it speaks volumes.

I've read rumors how Windows 8 is tougher to code with, and people were saying Xbone has similar challenges also.

This is like a flip from last gen, with the difference being the less powerful machine is more complicated to code for :(

Destiny may not be the competitive game that the older Halo games were, but it will be a fun game because Bungie's track record shows even at their worst(Reach), the game is still enjoyable. That alone gives me a lot more hope for Destiny than Halo 5 just because Halo 4 is 343's only game, and it is not very fun.

I would argue that Reach shows just how dull bungie of newer years are. Especially with Sage at the helm. Difference of opinion and all but Reach is what makes me totally lose hope for Destiny.

Woorloog

Banned
I would argue that Reach shows just how dull bungie of newer years are. Especially with Sage at the helm. Difference of opinion and all but Reach is what makes me totally lose hope for Destiny.

I think Bungie suffered from creative fatigue with Reach. Destiny project was underway and Reach was just another Halo.
Also, i think Bungie tried gameplay concepts for Destiny in Reach, which didn't necessarily mesh too well with Halo (alternatively they made the concepts for Reach and decided to use them in Destiny, or perhaps they just ended up with similar things in both games by coincidence but i doubt these possibilities).

I get your feeling though, i'm very, very careful about Destiny (or anything by Bungie after Reach), especially coupled with the fact the gameplay so far has been kind of boring if not bad.

Good thing the world's damn interesting, might end up being its saving grace. The world and the concepts they're using for it are enchanting, adventuring in familiar yet mysterious places...
I don't think Halo CE a superb game but the thrill of adventuring in a mysterious (it is a frigging ringworld) yet familiar (Earth-like flora and geography) place felt great, something Bungie didn't really recapture with later Halos.
(343i did manage to evoke the feeling with Requiem but didn't keep it, there was no mission in Halo 4 where you just walk for a long time without any enemies, just you and the environment)

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah, you're right. I forgot about that panel where they revealed no new information. I recall thinking to myself, "why have a panel about something you can't talk about?"

I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to not get involved with Halo 4. Tell myself that it's over.

I wish I could do that before Reach.

Bungie has a lot to proof for me, thankfully they make a beta.

Omni

Thus far doesn't look like the One made any dent in the numbers... still bouncing between 15-25K according to Halo charts.
Colour me surprised!
If there's one thing that I don't consider Reach to be, it would be dull. Sure they were purposely going for that gritty realistic look, but in terms of everything in the game... I don't see it.

Woorloog

Banned
Reach was somewhat uninspired: prequel partially based on The Fall of Reach, set on a dull planet (it could be Earth for all we see), merely a basic collection of various military missions with strong dose of Hollywood tactics and strategies.
Exodus mission is particularly bad: Alien Invasion, protect civilians... why should i care? I know how it ends...

Fuchsdh

Reach was somewhat uninspired: prequel partially based on The Fall of Reach, set on a dull planet (it could be Earth for all we see), merely a basic collection of various military missions with strong dose of Hollywood tactics and strategies.
Exodus mission is particularly bad: Alien Invasion, protect civilians... why should i care? I know how it ends...

What annoyed me about Exodus (beyond retconning the Brutes again) was that killing the Civilians was game over. It felt like such a bizarre moral handslap, especially when dozens of civilians are dying all around you. The actual mission is a lot of fun though, probably my favorite one in Reach.

Woorloog

Banned
What annoyed me about Exodus (beyond retconning the Brutes again) was that killing the Civilians was game over. It felt like such a bizarre moral handslap, especially when dozens of civilians are dying all around you. The actual mission is a lot of fun though, probably my favorite one in Reach.

Bullfrogs missing their landing places. Forced jetpack for a section. Forced "emotional moments" (why the fuck should i care about virtual civilians dying that are annoying and in the way during the gameplay and killing them magically kills me?).
The map is good looking though the city lacks the feel New Mombasa has.
And at least it is better than the second mission or the penultimate one.

Bullfrogs missing their landing places. Forced jetpack for a section. Forced "emotional moments" (why the fuck should i care about virtual civilians dying that are annoying and in the way during the gameplay and killing them magically kills me?).
The map is good looking though the city lacks the feel New Mombasa has.
And at least it is better than the second mission or the penultimate one.
Halo 5 "Civilian A.I.s" -
• Stare at a Civi A.I. and they'll interact with you sometimes.
• Damage a Civi will cause them to have excruciating pain. Along with moans and groans.
• Kill a Civi A.I. while others have witnessed your deceit will force them to an Angry Mob mode as they chase you down picking up objects and hurling them at you followed by constant T-baggings.

• Damage a Civi will cause them to have excruciating pain. Along with moans and groans.
• Kill a Civi A.I. while others have witnessed your deceit will force them to an Angry Mob mode as they chase you down picking up objects and hurling them at you followed by constant T-baggings.

Space Skyrim.

Woorloog

Banned

Rocket launcher takes care of that. Or a grenade.

I think Bungie suffered from creative fatigue with Reach. Destiny project was underway and Reach was just another Halo.
Also, i think Bungie tried gameplay concepts for Destiny in Reach, which didn't necessarily mesh too well with Halo (alternatively they made the concepts for Reach and decided to use them in Destiny, or perhaps they just ended up with similar things in both games by coincidence but i doubt these possibilities).

Yeah, definitely seems that way.

Good thing the world's damn interesting, might end up being its saving grace. The world and the concepts they're using for it are enchanting, adventuring in familiar yet mysterious places...
I don't think Halo CE a superb game but the thrill of adventuring in a mysterious (it is a frigging ringworld) yet familiar (Earth-like flora and geography) place felt great, something Bungie didn't really recapture with later Halos.
(343i did manage to evoke the feeling with Requiem but didn't keep it, there was no mission in Halo 4 where you just walk for a long time without any enemies, just you and the environment)

When I heard about Requiem my mind started wondering about the places 343 would take us on this grand journey of Master Chief's return, hopefully capturing that magic once again on a console that's been around for several years already.
Then they threw it all into the Sun.

Top Bottom