• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Gui_PT

Poor Bravo, I can imagine his days at work

"But guys, that's not Halo"
"Armor Abilities are garbo"
"We need better maps"
"Legendary Slayer with AR starts? Are you guys dumb?"

"THIS IS OUR VISION, SHUDDUP!"

I don't think they're doing a good job (especially for me), but it'd be nice if we didn't completely demonise 343.
I know I've said it a million times, but Halo 3 will always be my favorite. It has its issues, but it just feels the most like Halo to me.
My bro, I most certainly feel the same.
Spartan Assault on WP8 will be exclusive to Verizon initially in the US.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/07/halo-spartan-assault-windows-phone-8.html
Microsoft & their licencing agreements, bah.
I had forgotten this was coming to phones too though. If it's good (according to people I trust... who have Windows Phones..) I'll pick it up.

Enfinit

I don't think there's reason for this to get you this upset.

And core halo? How can you define it as Team BRs when that didnt exist in Halo 1 and wasn't introduced until late Halo 2 lol

It's just entirely too frustrating to misunderstand how 343i has yet to get it.

And what's more of a "core" Halo experience than the BR? The 3SK Pistol from CE (that only existed for one game)? The AR? The BR was been the weapon that's been around the longest in the series, has remained virtually unchanged, has been at the core of competitive play for Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4, and the weapon that's arguably the most identifiable in the series (although, I suppose you could make an argument for the 3SK Pistol). What's the core of competitive slayer for you? For me it's always been Team BRs.

BigShow36

It's just entirely too frustrating to misunderstand how 343i has yet to get it.

And what's more of a "core" Halo experience than the BR? The 3SK Pistol from CE (that only existed for one game)? The AR? The BR was been the weapon that's been around the longest in the series, has remained virtually unchanged, has been at the core of competitive play for Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 4, and the weapon that's arguably the most identifiable in the series (although, I suppose you could make an argument for the 3SK Pistol). What's the core of competitive slayer for you? For me it's always been Team BRs.

I don't consider any weapon skin "core" Halo. The BR has acted totally different in each Halo game, so what does Team BRs really mean? What I care about is how the weapon acts and hows its balanced in the game. "Core" Halo is a skill-based, medium-to-fast paced arena shooter balanced around a precision utility weapon where players start on equal footing and fight for position, powerups and power weapons around the map. That is essentially "core" Halo to me. I don't care if it's a BR skin, a pistol skin or any other skin, what I care about is how it acts and whether or not it's properly balanced.

I'm often criticised as only wanting "the Pistol" back and nothing changed. That's not true, I merely want a game that is balanced around the core tennets that those weapons embodied.

J10

Banned
The functionality of the BR in Halo 2 post title update is the closest analogue to the CE pistol. That's why Team BRs now would be preferable, with the Halo 4 BR having been buffed in a title update. All the phrase "core Halo" really means is spawning with a viable utilitarian weapon with base player abilities in parity with your opponents. The AR has not ever been that weapon and going against your opponents in Halo 4 is usually a crap shoot.

Spartan Assault on WP8 will be exclusive to Verizon initially in the US.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/07/halo-spartan-assault-windows-phone-8.html

Oh that's awesome.

I haven't looked at any numbers, but just off the top of my head I would assume that AT&T is the most popular carrier in the U.S. for Windows Phones simply because they've supported it the most. They carry more phones than any other U.S. carrier and they always get the Nokia flagship's as exclusives or time exclusives.

Sure, when it comes down to it, both games are very similar. No one is outshooting anyone in either game (the aim assist in 4 is comparable to 3 as far as I remember), it's all about holding a power position and teamshotting. Yeah, there are wrinkles that distinguish the two, especially when we look at the "default" experience, but at a competitive level they are very similar.

Disregarding anything else, this is completely and utterly inaccurate. It is significantly easier to miss in Halo 3 than it is in Halo 4. The strength of Halo 4's magnetism is one of the most garish, dulling elements of its overall gameplay experience. It regularly thwarts my attempts to precisely throw a grenade; I'll lift my reticle for a ranged lob and a passing enemy Spartan will drag it involuntarily back to a lower level, completely scuppering the throw. The 10% increase in movement speed has made it a bit harder to land a perfect four but it still feels like playing on autopilot and is mundane for it.

I can't source it but I'm sure there was a study done on the old MLG forums where it showed Halo 3 actually had less or comparable levels of aim assist to HCE. Obviously the strafe speed being slower in Halo 3 means it's easier to land shots.

The Halo 3 snipe has significantly lower levels of aim assist than its Halo 4 counterpart. Seriously, Halo 4 makes Halo 3 look like a hardcore game. Halo 4 is pathetically easy in comparison.

BigShow36

Disregarding anything else, this is completely and utterly inaccurate. It is significantly easier to miss in Halo 3 than it is in Halo 4. The strength of Halo 4's magnetism is one of the most garish, dulling elements of its overall gameplay experience. It regularly thwarts my attempts to precisely throw a grenade; I'll lift my reticle for a ranged lob and a passing enemy Spartan will drag it involuntarily back to a lower level, completely scuppering the throw. The 10% increase in movement speed has made it a bit harder to land a perfect four but it still feels like playing on autopilot and is mundane for it.

Are you sure thats not just because the Halo 3 BR has poor spread and requires leading? Within it's effective range, the Halo 3 BR is easy to use. I'm not an expert on levels of aim assist in each game, but I don't remember having much trouble using the Halo 3 BR other than the fact that it was inconsistent.

The Halo 3 snipe has significantly lower levels of aim assist than its Halo 4 counterpart. Seriously, Halo 4 makes Halo 3 look like a hardcore game. Halo 4 is pathetically easy in comparison.

I'll give you that, the sniper was harder to use in Halo 3. However, the limited range of the utility weapon meant that a sniper had pretty much free reign when they were at a distance. At least in Halo 4 I can fight back against a sniper at longer-ranges.

Are you sure thats not just because the Halo 3 BR has poor spread and requires leading? Within it's effective range, the Halo 3 BR is easy to use. I'm not an expert on levels of aim assist in each game, but I don't remember having much trouble using the Halo 3 BR other than the fact that it was inconsistent.

I'll give you that, the sniper was harder to use in Halo 3. However, the limited range of the utility weapon meant that a sniper had pretty much free reign when they were at a distance. At least in Halo 4 I can fight back against a sniper at longer-ranges.

The fact that it requires leading in and of itself makes it harder to use than the Halo 4 BR. The BR in 3 may be considered easy to use, I'm just saying the Halo 4 BR is noticeably easier. A few of us on here had a mini Halo 3 revival a few months back and one of the starkest differences I noticed coming off of months of Halo 4 was how much more effort you have to put into your shot.

I agree about the snipe/utility weapon point in Halo 3. It's one of those conundrums for the weapon; they had to make it hard to use because the next weapon on the scoped pecking order (H3 BR) had such limited range. Now, I loved how difficult the H3 snipe was to use but if they made it that difficult in a game with an easy mode BR and 3x scope DMR, most of the general playing public wouldn't manage a kill with it, the weapon would become 'objectively underused' and it would go the way of the grenade launcher RIP.

Booties

Banned
The fact that it requires leading in and of itself makes it harder to use than the Halo 4 BR. The BR in 3 may be considered easy to use, I'm just saying the Halo 4 BR is noticeably easier. A few of us on here had a mini Halo 3 revival a few months back and one of the starkest differences I noticed coming off of months of Halo 4 was how much more effort you have to put into your shot.

Not only are all the weapons poorly designed in Halo 4, but they are also part of an unbalanced sandbox and paired with extremely poor player movement. Strafing was as crucial to a BR duel as knowing how to lead your shots and aim well. To make things worse, the FOV is strange, and AAs like jetpack and sprint really show how bad the aiming system is in every halo game. Yeah, the Halo 3 BR wasn't great, and the first two games were better at their prime, but to say the Halo 4 and Halo 3 BRs are the same is just wrong.

There are a lot of things that changed since Halo 3, and we aren't going to get them back. Just look at MLG back then. Even with a "bad" BR that required leading shots, they still made it look easy. Watching MLG showed how well the BR could work on a LAN at a high level. The difference between the best players almost always came down to movement, which Halo 4 sorely lacks. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

BigShow36

Not only are all the weapons poorly designed in Halo 4, but they are also part of an unbalanced sandbox and paired with extremely poor player movement. Strafing was as crucial to a BR duel as knowing how to lead your shots and aim well. To make things worse, the FOV is strange, and AAs like jetpack and sprint really show how bad the aiming system is in every halo game. Yeah, the Halo 3 BR wasn't great, and the first two games were better at their prime, but to say the Halo 4 and Halo 3 BRs are the same is just wrong.

I didn't say they were the same, I said they were not different enough to fundamentally alter how the game two games actually played. Neither one is difficult enough to use that people are going to be outstrafing or outgunning players on a consistent basis, so their differences are practically negligible.

It's easy to get caught up in nostalgia and the slight details of each weapon like leading or spread, but when it comes down to it, both BR's are too easy to use and negatively impact the game because of it. Talking about the Halo 3 BR like it was the saving grace of Halo 3 is just wrong; the weapon was a detriment to the game, not a benefit.

Computer

343 needs to have a mandatory massive Halo CE LAN party for all employees. So to teach them a nice lesson on what Halo is and why it had so much successes in the past. Hopefully it would help them grasp a better concept on how to build a Halo game from scratch.

Actually It would be a good idea for when designing the next game to go through the first 3 games MP with a lot of employees and see what worked with all of them rather than continue on the trend of 4.

They should also broadcast it on twitch. Id like that.\

Hopefully 343 will take a look at the Halo 5 wishlist thread. It is just about unanimous amongst gamers that classic Halo is the best direction to go. A lot of people that want classic Halo back are not hardcore Halo fans so even casuals prefer a more simple Halo witch makes since.

I don't expect 343 to listen they think they know what gamers want more then gamers. We were saying all the same shit while Halo 4 was in development.

wwm0nkey

343 needs to have a mandatory massive Halo CE LAN party for all employees. So to teach them a nice lesson on what Halo is and why it had so much successes in the past. Hopefully it would help them grasp a better concept on how to build a Halo game from scratch.

Actually It would be a good idea for when designing the next game to go through the first 3 games MP with a lot of employees and see what worked with all of them rather than continue on the trend of 4.

FyreWulff

I remember not really feeling the complaints about Halo 3's FOV. Then after playing Reach a ton, going back to 3 is like playing with a cardboard box around your head

AvalonX

Neo Member
3 was the best game after halo 2 came out. Leading shots sucked, but everything else was good. The maps were great, the customization was great, the BR felt good besides what I just said. It was a lot simpler which is why it was good. halo is about 3 things and that's it. halo 3 had them sealed up pretty tight.

At least up until Halo 3 if you got owned most likely it was because you got owned and not some flying, invisible, bullshit perk infested fuck fest.

Karl2177

Going back to Halo 3 is mildly jarring. The graphics haven't held up very well and neither has the netcode. But after 1 or 2 good connection games, everything seems to level out and be fine. I will agree that the FoV is quite small.

Halo 3 always felt poly starved, the trade of losing resolution and polygons for lighting was a bit of a downer for me.

I played 3 more then 2 online I think, not that it's hard I only covered a few hundred games on halo 2.

They couldn't help themselves could they? The grav lift & hole in sword is just change for change's sake. Please tell me there's a non butchered version?

There is a non grav lift and closed hatch version via forge and I think both will be featured in matchmakingl

Until I try it out it seems reasonable to me, that sword room was a dead end though fun to grenade spam it.

FyreWulff

You would hope there's plenty of forge objects that let you close off certain parts of the map. The Halo 3 version just had some moveable boxes and Jersey barriers.

An interesting take would be to close off Rockets and Camo and turn it into a horseshoe map

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I didn't say they were the same, I said they were not different enough to fundamentally alter how the game two games actually played. Neither one is difficult enough to use that people are going to be outstrafing or outgunning players on a consistent basis, so their differences are practically negligible.

It's easy to get caught up in nostalgia and the slight details of each weapon like leading or spread, but when it comes down to it, both BR's are too easy to use and negatively impact the game because of it. Talking about the Halo 3 BR like it was the saving grace of Halo 3 is just wrong; the weapon was a detriment to the game, not a benefit.

The Halo 3 BR was a flawed weapon but it was significantly more skillful than the Reach DMR or Halo 4 DMR/BR. There was a fairly sizeable skill gap between players using it that anyone who played the game for any amount of time was well aware of. There was also a noticeable skill gap between pro players in Halo 3, Roy's BR anyone? There was a massive skill gap with the sniper. There was also a massive skill gap between the pros with the sniper.

That wasn't and isn't the case with Halo Reach and Halo 4 along with many other terrible decisions hence why competitive Halo fell to pieces and is now an absolute joke.

Halo CE was way more skillful than 2 and 3 as well and is my favourite by a long way but Halo 3 still had enough of a skill gap to be enjoyable and was multiple times more skillful that any of its contemporary fps.

If you go back far enough you have Quake players saying that Halo CE was the end of competitve FPS as again that is way more skillful than Halo CE which if you play Quake Live now for example you will see where a lot of the inspiration came from for Halo CE.

I think Halo 3 with faster movement, toned down auto aim/damage on automatic weapons and a tight spread BR would have been pretty solid. Reach and Halo 4 would require complete overhauls in comparison.

Fuchsdh

Well they should just fix Halo so we wouldnt have to bitch, you know?

Not exactly that fucking hard to do anyways. Put some good playlists in, fix shitty settings and create some good maps.

You might want to try putting the work in to landing one of these jobs instead of constantly posting about it.

You would hope there's plenty of forge objects that let you close off certain parts of the map. The Halo 3 version just had some moveable boxes and Jersey barriers.

An interesting take would be to close off Rockets and Camo and turn it into a horseshoe map

I really hope we get expanded Forge palettes for disc maps in future Halo titles given the new hardware. While I can understand why you wouldn't have the full set giving players the ability to build, say, new walkways or block off whole sections of maps would be great and really max out Forge's abilities as a map editor.

willow ve

You might want to try putting the work in to landing one of these jobs instead of constantly posting about it.

I really hope we get expanded Forge palettes for disc maps in future Halo titles given the new hardware. While I can understand why you wouldn't have the full set giving players the ability to build, say, new walkways or block off whole sections of maps would be great and really max out Forge's abilities as a map editor.

Just give us a true computer based map editor. Forge 3.0 (unless it's a total rehaul) isn't really doing much for the game anymore (in terms of pushing boundaries - like Halo has always done).

Fuchsdh

What should I do Fuchs?

I'm sure you have some of the requisite skills but you can't blame HR for wanting proof of it. It's the same old "can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job" bull but at least there is the indie scene. The obvious answer to "hire Juices" is how would he look on paper. Make GAF proud.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
My replies to your replies.

BR, Carbine, Light Rifle are all skill based weapons since tuning. The LR is one of the most interesting weapons in multiplayer now and the BR returns solo power play as well as team firing aspects plus CQC abilities too.
The least skillful one is what everyone will use to win and I still don't consider them particularly skillful. My main point is the game should be designed with the intention of weapons being skillful, not added on as an afterthought.

I would argue the Halo 4 balancing now of weapons is superior to any previous Halo title and provides a wider range of weapons that players actually use in a variety of gametypes. In CE it's all pistol, in Halo 2 it was BR dominance, in Halo 3 BR dominance again, in Reach the DMR was king and in Halo 4 we now have choices that we can win encounters with regardless of the other players weapon choice.
Completely disagree with this, weapons are not balanced in relation to the amount of skill required to use them and their effectiveness. This is arguably more important than being directly balanced against each other. Utility weapons are still king and other weapons that are used a lot are just ridiculously easy to use and powerful. That is terrible game design.

Playlists cater for this, now they just need to create maps specific for playlist settings e.g. some that factor sprint or jetpack loadouts and others that factor no sprint gametypes.
Playlists don't cater for lack of depth in the movement system. Sprint is so bad for gameplay because it is so limiting by 1. Forcing you to lower your weapon and 2. Making all other movement super slow to accommodate sprint. Jetpacks, don't even get me started on them.

I'd even go as far as postulating many of the issues from the mechanics like sprint etc are due in part more to the map design than the mechanic itself.
Its the other way around, sprint doesn't work in arena shooters and attempting to accommodate it also results in poor map design.

TrueSkill is exactly for this. I suspect the ranked vs social split returning is the best solution to this.
Trueskill means nothing unless the game is designed around rewarding skill. It is not. It was designed to be a massive easy random mess in order to appeal to casual CoD players.

Playlists once again. I'd go for on map weapons for 50-75% of playlists with Infinity style drops for the rest. Just reduce the random selection and make them tiered fixed drops for the PO style playlists. All other "classic on map" playlists are fine with the previous games systems. We've already seen a return of such features in doubles, throwdown, CTF, BTB Pro etc.
The game as well as maps should be designed around having weapons power ups on map at consistent spawn times. One playlist is more than sufficient for a random crazy playlist. Even fiesta in Halo 3 was more fun and skillful than the entirety of Halo 4.

I agree consistency is preferred but spread helps with range and allows a weapon to have its place e.g. BR mid range king and DMR/LR long range king. Generally speaking these sorts of effects are to account for online play and making things "fair", otherwise the Halo 2/3 days of precision dominance return.
Spread is a bad mechanic for this purpose and the lazy option. Making the weapon non hitscan and cutting off auto aim over a certain distance would provide complete consistency and a massive skill gap in long range encounters. Halo 4 is far worse than precision dominance, its cluttered with overly easy to us power weapons, AAs and overly easy to use precision weapons to top it off.

Fuchsdh

Just give us a true computer based map editor. Forge 3.0 (unless it's a total rehaul) isn't really doing much for the game anymore (in terms of pushing boundaries - like Halo has always done).

I don't think it makes much sense to build a system that only a tiny smidgen of the population (even of the hardcore population) would use. Part of the strength of Forge is that it's pretty simple to use and it's on every single disc. I'm all for creating a more powerful editor that would allow terrain formation and more latitude in custom geometry, etc., but it should definitely be a *supplement* to classic Forge, as some here have suggested, and it should have the same universality. Now opening up some SDKs or something so modders could create their own desktop tools seems like a very cool idea, like the playlist creators, but it should never be a replacement for the on-disc experience.

Top Bottom