• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

I imagine it's chugging along due to the steam sale

Nah, it was the actually installation wizard that got hung up, working now though so no worries.

So, I guess now that DOTA is out of "beta", they are rolling it out slowly. I'm #1698 on a queue, they said they'll email me when I'm allowed to play it. So YEAH

Computer

I am happy that The Pit is coming back but why do they have to make it look so shitty. The brown gritty look is not Halo.

Booshka

Halo 3 has been bad since the Beta with Crackdown. Game was never good.

Aiming felt awful, moving felt awful, sloppy BR spread with a bad netcode, yea no thanks.

Fuchsdh

The amount of bitching some of you guys spout, you act like you were stuck in a Russian gulag for years and forced to play Halo.

Then

H3 > Reach and 4

Now

Reach > H3 > H4

H3 fell apart hard.

Yeah pretty much how I feel. From a design perspective, H3 is much better than Reach (or H4), but the actual online experience is pretty awful now (and never something I was a fan of. Pace was always slow, really disliked how the aiming felt in that game, movement likewise was ugly thanks to introducing that lovely inertia)

Sorry I cant hear you over this beer I'm drinking.
Told you it would work.

Booshka

wtf no one hated halo 3 lol.

Only the most unforgivable, elitist Halo assholes like myself and BigShow would shit-talk Halo 2 and Halo 3, but we do because of how much we love Halo CE.

I still enjoyed Halo 2 a ton after the patch, played like 10K games, but it's garbage compared to Halo CE. I never liked Halo 3, it didn't change much compared to Halo 2, it just played like shit and had intentionally random BR spread to marginalize a skill based utility weapon. All in an attempt to help a sandbox comprised of weapons like spikers to blossom.

Only the most unforgivable, elitist Halo assholes like myself and BigShow would shit-talk Halo 2 and Halo 3, but we do because of how much we love Halo CE.

I still enjoyed Halo 2 a ton after the patch, played like 10K games, but it's garbage compared to Halo CE. I never liked Halo 3, it didn't change much compared to Halo 2, it just played like shit and had intentionally random BR spread to marginalize a skill based utility weapon. All in an attempt to help a sandbox comprised of weapons like spikers to blossom.

2 isn't garbage compared to CE.

Halo 2 is better and more balanced compared to CE. Overall they aren't that much different.

The amount of bitching some of you guys spout, you act like you were stuck in a Russian gulag for years and forced to play Halo.

Well they should just fix Halo so we wouldnt have to bitch, you know?

Not exactly that fucking hard to do anyways. Put some good playlists in, fix shitty settings and create some good maps.

Halo 2 is better and more balanced compared to CE. Overall they aren't that much different.

conansj4n.gif

CE to H2 is the biggest change in the series by far.

I don't know about that, man. CE was really simple with an enormous skill cap. It gave me CounterStrike vibes, and I don't think it gets much more balanced than that. Not saying CS is perfect, though.

CE is better, but 2 is the online Halo GOAT.

Indeed. I got D's in middle school because of that game. Never did my homework.

Madness

Pitfall just has that ugly tint that's utilized like crazy in Halo 4 and games like Mass Effect 3. Halo 3 just looked simpler, cleaner, with better lines.

Though it's not a huge issue if it plays well.

Untitled-200x200.png

I hope with the power of next gen, they utilize the color scheme of the earlier games. Brighter colors, not necessarily that realistic grime of modern shooters.

Pitfall just has that ugly tint that's utilized like crazy in Halo 4 and games like Mass Effect 3. Halo 3 just looked simpler, cleaner, with better lines.

Untitled-200x200.png

I hope with the power of next gen, they utilize the color scheme of the earlier games. Brighter colors, not necessarily that realistic grime of modern shooters.

But Halo needs to be Modern /s

Karl2177

I don't know about that, man. CE was really simple with an enormous skill cap. It gave me CounterStrike vibes, and I don't think it gets much more balanced than that. Not saying CS is perfect, though.

Indeed. I got D's in middle school because of that game. Never did my homework.

And we're all getting D's when we play Halo 4. Heyooo

Booshka

If you didn't play at least 100 games of 2v2 Slayer Pro in Halo CE I could understand why you would think this. Halo CE is best played at 2v2, it works pretty well at 4v4 and 1v1, but 2v2 is where it is literally perfect.

Spawns can be predicted and controlled for your team and against the enemy team consistently in 2v2. The lethality of ALL weapons and nades coupled with map design for most of the 2-8 player size maps is perfectly balanced in 2v2. Pistol takes way more skill than any other Halo weapon ever made, all weapons outside of the Needler have a valuable and effective role. With the Power weapons, Rockets and Sniper, being true game changers when combined with Active Camo and Overshield. All power ups and power weapons are expertly placed, and they can be naded to specific locations reliably with skill and memorization.

Game progression with the constant and consistent spawning of power weapons and power ups, facilitates an overall ebb and flow of teams fighting over control of areas and items at all times and from different areas throughout the map. With the struggle for power shifting and changing relative to these items coming up, and the team's ability to control them with skilled Pistol and nade usage, as well as utilizing role weapons like the Shotgun and Plasma rifle effectively.

No other Halo game executes this meta game as well as Halo CE does, the map design and marginalization of individual skill leads to more camping and coordinated pushes in subsequent Halo's. An individual's playmaking ability is no where near what it is in Halo CE. Weapon spawning is broken in Halo 2 with the respawn of weapons being dictated by when a player drops the weapon, as opposed to the consistent timing of Halo CE. Sniping is stupid easy in Halo 2 compared to Halo CE, BR only has a skill gap with glitches, which is still far below Pistol duels in Halo CE.

On an on it goes, but I won't continue.

HTupolev

In a lot of ways, CE to 2 represents the largest overall change in the entire series. Overall kill time tendencies, a lot of aspects of the vehicle system, lunge melees, frags whose fuses start on bounce... there are a ton of things quite central to Halo's gameplay that haven't changed all that much since Halo 2 came out, yet were completely different in CE. Names for things aside, CE could easily be from a different franchise.

Not to say that there haven't been some higher-level philosophy changes more recently that rival the CE-2 shift, though.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Untitled-200x200.png

Is that an actual picture of Pitfall, or a picture of a remake on that one Forge map I forgot the name of?

BigShow36

People waiting on this free Halo 3 are blind.

Halo 3 plays fucking awful. Shit is trash nowadays.

Game was always terribad. Don't know how people who loved Halo 3 can hate on Halo 4, similar core gameplay.

Just fucking awful. If I had the energy to tackle this I would, but frankly, it would be a wasted effort. Just know that you're the reason Halo is now terrible.

AvalonX

Neo Member

Untitled-200x200.png

These guys ever hear of accent lighting? Its like concept art 101. Just add some contrasting shadows and some real light sources. Don't just make it shit brown.

Madness

Is that an actual picture of Pitfall, or a picture of a remake on that one Forge map I forgot the name of?

Actual picture. Here's some more high quality ones. While it's accurate, I just don't like the darkness and tint added. I liked it when it was brighter and cleaner with simpler colors.

Halo-4-Champions-Bundle-Pitfall-Establishing-Screenshot-Sightlines.jpg

Halo-4-Champions-Bundle-Pitfall-Establishing-Screenshot-Broken-Cover.jpg

Omni

These guys ever hear of accent lighting? Its like concept art 101. Just add some contrasting shadows and some real light sources. Don't just make it shit brown.

It's the gritty 'modern' look. Bright colours blind the demographic that 343i are looking for, so the closer they can get a map to look like a muddy shit stain, the better it is. Same goes for campaign.

CoD player then - "Man, have you seen Halo 3? It's too colourful. So unrealistic"
CoD player now - "Wow! Have you seen The Pit in Halo 4!? It looks so awesome!"

Madness

Now obviously the Pit was very basic and rudimentary at the time, but it worked. It was crisp and simple. Clean sightlines, easy to pick out enemies, weapons, shots etc.

halo3_121040827_Full.jpg

Pitstop.jpg

Booshka

It's the gritty 'modern' look. Bright colours blind the demographic that 343i are looking for, so the closer they can get a map to look like a muddy shit stain, the better it is. Same goes for campaign.

CoD player then - "Man, have you seen Halo 3? It's too colourful. So unrealistic"
CoD player now - "Wow! Have you seen The Pit in Halo 4!? It looks so awesome!"

Except CoD's brown shit runs at 60 FPS.

Ghazi

Is it just me, or am the only one who likes the lighting in those pictures. It seems softer than the harsh brightness that was in the OG Pit, I do not, however, like how it all seems to be one shade of brown or maybe the lighting looks like that because of the colors (?). I liked the Pit's original coloration.

Ramirez

Game was always terribad. Don't know how people who loved Halo 3 can hate on Halo 4, similar core gameplay.

Core gunplay, yea. They're pretty much night and day aside from that...

Though, I do suppose it's why I can play 4 and have the occasional fun match, but Reach is just dog shit I can't go back to.

Omni

Except CoD's brown shit runs at 60 FPS.

So will Halo 5!11

I personally would have went with an overgrown foliage-post apocalyptic look for The Pit. Think TLoU. Or at the very least made one side overgrown and green, and the other the rusted look we got now. Just to add some variety. It doesn't have to make sense - it's a game.

I really don't know why 343/CA (whoever does the maps) chooses to make the most boring environments ever. The game is set in a sci-fi universe! The possibilities are endless and yet all maps look like mud and/or boring.

Top Bottom