• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Madness

Well they did sort of go for the overgrown, overrun base look. The waypoint pic doesn't make it look so bad. I just have issues with the lighting and tint. It's all I can see when playing maps like solace, wreckage, adrift, even Exile. Maybe someone can explain it better. Like this pervasive tint that is present, colors the Spartans, the landscapes and vehicles. Makes it look good as 'gritty, realistic grime' but I preferred the bright colors that were present in past Halos.

Last bit of picture diarrhea. Here are some more differences.

02_pitfall_newbase.jpg

64P5NyG.jpg

Please quote images that large. - Ghal

Booshka

If those are the actual dimensions of Snipe 1 in Halo 4 then it looks to more "campy" than it should be. If you were in Snipe 1 in Halo 3 you were never safe from grenades, only gunfire at certain angles, so you could peek out for quick snipes, but be easily flushed out by nades. With Halo 4's Snipe 1 dimensions, it looks like you can nestle in that corner enough to avoid most nades, while still being able to poke out quickly for snipe shots. Typical remake bullshit where subtle level design changes make the game worse and more suitable for camping.

Nice to see the Assault Rifle finally getting the respect it deserves. It's been my go to weapon in every Halo game since CE. Maybe now people will see just how versatile a weapon it is and how much more interesting the gunplay can be.

This is Halo.

HTupolev

The possibilities are endless and yet all maps look like mud.
My first thought is that less chromatic contrast probably makes certain things, like a lack of real-time global illumination, less noticeable. In theory, you could also get away with less colour depth, though I'm not sure that that logic holds with most actual framebuffer formats. Designing your art style around monochrome "colour schemes" could mean more "graphical impressiveness" for free. Halo 4 only really mixes colours through the use of tron lines, and even then they tended to go with colours that (un)blend easily, like orange-on-blue.

Dark 'n gritty 'n monochrome Halo 3 (from Crow's Nest when the lights flicker), people:

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 3 is still amazing to play. Yall are crazy.
It's good, but it has some issues. Reach and Halo 4 at their best are better than Halo 3. The one big exception being maps. H3 clearly wins there.

Edit : Damn, I just realized that I probably won't play Halo with you all ever again. My XBL expires in a month, but I won't be able to play between now and then cause I broke my wrist two days ago, and only have one usable hand right now, lol. With Halo being in the state that it's in and the PS4 right around the corner, I don't really feel motivated to renew my XBL, either. I might get a three month card when my wrist heals, but I dunno.

It sucks to say bye to Halo.

PNut

Banned
Halo 3 is still amazing to play. Yall are crazy.

Halo 3 has the best custom game options by far. To this day every weekend I can get on and play Rocket Race customs with a full 8 person lobby with people waiting to join. If there's not a team of 8 we go into some custom games and goof off in duck hunt, jenga, halo on halo, or ice cream man. Shit it so much fun.

Can't do regular MM though. Netcode and player movement is pure shit. And there's AR starts everywhere.

Nowise10

It's good, but it has some issues. Reach and Halo 4 at their best are better than Halo 3. The one big exception being maps. H3 clearly wins there.

Halo 4 is terrible to Halo 3. The game plays itself (bullet magnetism is honestly off the roof in H4), looks dull, sounds dull. We have shitty mechanics, its no longer balanced in the battlefield. Yes the connection is better, but "in its best" Halo 3 is still fun and skilled to play. Getting a no scope in H3? Awesome feeling. Getting a noscope in Halo 4? ooh wow amazing.

I also like Reach a lot. Comparing them at their best, Reach and Halo 3 are hard. I mean Reach has alot of issues, but I still have fun on a regular game of BTB on Hemorrhage and whatnot. Sounds like Halo, looks like Halo, it doesn't aim for itself like Halo 4, it plays somewhat like what Halo is.

I honestly cant stand Halo 4 multiplayer, so I don't play it. And then I always see this comments claiming how out of touch 343 is, and how Halo 4 is bad, but I'm willing you guys still play it. What is that proving to 343? In the coming weeks, it will be possible for a player to sprint away when I shoot at him and survive, because they paid $10, and that right their shows to me, Halo has been fucked over.

Booshka

Edit : Damn, I just realized that I probably won't play Halo with you all ever again. My XBL expires in a month, but I won't be able to play between now and then cause I broke my wrist two days ago, and only have one usable hand right now, lol. With Halo being in the state that it's in and the PS4 right around the corner, I don't really feel motivated to renew my XBL, either. I might get a three month card when my wrist heals, but I dunno.

It sucks to say bye to Halo.

Summer Steam Sales, buy a bunch of games, and join the PC Master Race. PS4 can wait until at least Destiny.

Shadders

Both Reach and 4 could be better than Halo 3, under the hood they're both better. There have just been iffy decisions made in the production of those two games.

Losing the balanced starts was the biggy for me, that was Halo's real differentiator. I'm not directly opposed to AAs, but they really should have been on map pick-ups that you have to earn. The armour mod stuff I can get behind for certain team modes, they'd be good for something like Invasion, but I don't think they have a place in standard playlists.

On a technical level, Reach and 4 both have decent map selections, but there's just too many places where a particular AA will give someone an unfair advantage. Which wouldn't be so bad if they'd had to fight to get that jetpack or camo or whatever, because they've only got it until they die, but in Halo 4 they die, then respawn and can go and the exact same camo cheese tactic again.

Booties

Banned
3 was the best game after halo 2 came out. Leading shots sucked, but everything else was good. The maps were great, the customization was great, the BR felt good besides what I just said. It was a lot simpler which is why it was good. halo is about 3 things and that's it. halo 3 had them sealed up pretty tight.

Game was always terribad. Don't know how people who loved Halo 3 can hate on Halo 4, similar core gameplay.

Just fucking awful. If I had the energy to tackle this I would, but frankly, it would be a wasted effort. Just know that you're the reason Halo is now terrible.

You really think halo 3 an 4 play similarly? I think the severe amount of autoaim alone makes halo 4 a much different feeling game.

Omni

Halo 3 > Reach >> Halo 4, IMO.

Halo 3 is the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game this generation. It offered competitive settings and then when you wanted to, you could chill out in social. Sure AR starts were a pain, but that's nothing in comparison to what we have to put up with in 4. Plus BTB in that game was amazing.

Two flag on Avalanche was so much fun. Even on Sandtrap with the Elephants - It was pretty bloody stupid, but it was also a hell of a lot of fun (RIP Chopper).

Give me Halo 3 with a green bar connection over 4 or Reach any day.

Shadders

I'm getting all misty eyed thinking about Halo 3.

The flag runs on Avalanche, locking down the middle on The Pit, sneaking through the caves on Valhalla, even camping behind a shield door on Snowbound (sorry), stealing the other teams elephant and driving it your base for three easy flag caps..

God dammit that game was good.

wtf no one hated halo 3 lol.

This is why we can't have nice things.

2 isn't garbage compared to CE.

Halo 2 began the downfall of Halo gameplay.

If you didn't play at least 100 games of 2v2 Slayer Pro in Halo CE I could understand why you would think this.

Halo 1 babby.. I think my dog played more than 100 games.

Just out of curiosity, I always wondered what everyone's experience with Halo 1 on console was. If I worked at 343 these would be some of the questions I'd ask people in an interview lol:

Did you play it online through XBC/GameSpy/XLink? If so, how much time? Years, months, occasionally?
Ever mess around in Custom Games? A lot or a little?
Ever played hyper competitive games? Tournaments? How often?
What was the first bot's name on XBC?
Which players were below average at Halo 1 who turned to MLG pros in Halo 2?

If that game ever had XBL multiplayer, I'm sure we'd be playing a much different Halo 4 right now.

-EDIT-

it's a game.

I really don't know why 343/CA (whoever does the maps) chooses to make the most boring environments ever. The game is set in a sci-fi universe! The possibilities are endless and yet all maps look like mud and/or boring.
Dat Camo camping spots

The truth in these depress me.

IHaveIce

Banned
http://www.geek-badge.com/halo-4-first-impressions-with-andy-bravo-dudynsky/

Don't know if folks read this, but you have to read this interview Bravo did last year before Halo 4 was out and what he wanted out of it.

Here's just one tidbit:

And then there’s sprint. I hate sprint and I hope that there were no armor abilities or perks in the game. I would like to play Halo: shoot, grenade, melee, that’s it.
yeah we all wanted that.

Well shows us how much he has to say at 343. We can only hope Franklin has no power for Halo 5n they are brave enough to go back to classic Halo and Quinn isn't allowed to make a second judgement

yeah we all wanted that.

Well shows us how much he has to say at 343. We can only hope Franklin has no power for Halo 5n they are brave enough to go back to classic Halo and Quinn isn't allowed to make a second judgement
Well, how should Bravo change anything when he joined 343i after Halo 4 was done? Furthermore nearly every playlist hyped by Bravo has pre-set loadouts... (Still AR start with not secondary weapon sucks.)

IHaveIce

Banned
Well, how should Bravo change anything when he joined 343i after Halo 4 was done? Furthermore nearly every playlist hyped by Bravo has pre-set loadouts... (Still AR start with not secondary weapon sucks.)

He is in charge of the playlists right?
I don't recall the exact date when he got hired but there were major improvements to make.

I can only speak for myself and close friends of mine who stopped playing after a week.

Infinity Slayer should have a normal Slayer option from the start and should have been called Team Slayer, even better would be Infinity Slayer in Action Sack and normal Team Slayer and Slayer Pro on top of the playlists.

Big Team should have also been from the start with the current voting slots. Not sure if Objective gametypes in the playlist would have survived but we have needed a BTB Obj. much sooner

Team Doubles should have been there much earlier, not even a infinity gfametype should be in there.

A super hardcore playlist like Throwdown should be up much higher and have a more luring name.

Rumple Pit and Multiteam (Teams of 3) should have been much earlier)

Swat and Snipers are as good as they can be without descoping :/

Objective Playlists aren't my thing so I won't judge about them, just saying Infinity Flag should have never been created

Flood, Griffball and Regicide shouldn't have single playlists. The first 2 should be in action sack the last one as an undertype of rumble pit.

Weapon rebalancing shouldn't have been teased and being streamed and all that shit, it should have been done and finished. Same with the red X's

Should have worked for patches so Sprint can be manually disabled in custom games, same with Descope/Flinch or Flag pick up.

I mean they needed months to fix instant respawn in customs.

Then the ranking system, it should have been an option in the menu (if it should be that noob friendly) to turn on ranks in game or not, you are only able to see them if turned on, you are able to see ranks of people who don't have it turned on, but they can't see it.

JIP should be toogable in menu, hell maybe even playing with guests should have been an option.

Would that have thrown their idea of Halo 4 overboard? Yes, but throwing their idea overboard should have been their first thought after seeing the population decline

It hurts so much to see Halo 4 having great core gameplay but it is cluttered with shit and bad decisions all the way, AR starts another one of them

Gui_PT

Sounds like you're saying that once the game is done, you can't fix it so you shouldn't try?

Hire this man, 343.

Havok

Objective Playlists aren't my thing so I won't judge about them, just saying Infinity Flag should have never been created
Objective is in a more desperate situation than ever before. To think, there is nowhere in matchmaking to play 4v4 Ball or King, while the latter has 16 people crammed into a match in a sorry excuse for a Big Team Objective playlist (which prominently features a faux-Slayer gametype). I played CTF Complex last night in there - maybe my third attempt at trying the playlist. Shocking news: It was a shitshow. Not just because Complex is an asymmetric map and CTF is a symmetric gametype (though that would be disastrous no matter what), but the gametype just stinks, especially with 16 people. The waypoint and "committed carrier experience" bullshit just coalesces into this mess of flag waypoints that last about three seconds before half a dozen rifles train on the big flashing target. I mean, sure, Infinity CTF is awful, but their core Flag experience is such a shadow of its former self that it just ends up being depressing. Oddball as a whole has been practically abandoned by the developers since it doesn't have a home in matchmaking and it was never adopted in the tournament scene (because of throwing?), while King, a gametype that I actually think got some really strong changes, is now relegated to 12- and 16- player grenade clusterfuck playlists.

Half the problem is on the playlist side (asymmetric maps, multiple Gauss Hogs and Mantises on 5v5 CTF maps), but the other half lies squarely on the shoulders of poor gametype design. Dominion with all of its structural and scoring problems replacing Territories rather than being an extension or offshoot, the CTF (mostly this) and Oddball (but a little of this) changes, Grifball being used as the primary gametype for a possible Assault variant rather than the other way around, and maps that seem to have completely ignored the contents of the shipping gamerype suite. Even then, if somehow 1 Flag had made it, it still would have a waypoint. That's why I don't want or care if something like Zanzibar or Terminal gets remade. The gametype settings have practically sucked away all the elements that made them interesting in the first place, so unless those changes get reverted, why bother?

I learned very quickly with Halo 4 that I value meta-level elements in objective play a lot more than I had initially thought, and it simply isn't there with this game.

Shadders

I'm really surprised we haven't seen a version of Dominion without power weapons raining from the sky every 10 seconds. Seems like a pretty simple change that would really freshen up that mode/playlist.

m23

I'm really surprised we haven't seen a version of Dominion without power weapons raining from the sky every 10 seconds. Seems like a pretty simple change that would really freshen up that mode/playlist.

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/post/2013/06/30/Halo-4-Matchmaking-Update-7113.aspx

Dominion has received some updates as well. First, the resupply of the bases now provides mostly Loadout weapons and grenades rather than a large number of power weapons.

IHaveIce

Banned
Objective is in a more desperate situation than ever before. To think, there is nowhere in matchmaking to play 4v4 Ball or King, while the latter has 16 people crammed into a match in a sorry excuse for a Big Team Objective playlist (which prominently features a faux-Slayer gametype). I played CTF Complex last night in there - maybe my third attempt at trying the playlist. Shocking news: It was a shitshow. Not just because Complex is an asymmetric map and CTF is a symmetric gametype (though that would be disastrous no matter what), but the gametype just stinks, especially with 16 people. The waypoint and "committed carrier experience" bullshit just coalesces into this mess of flag waypoints that last about three seconds before half a dozen rifles train on the big flashing target. I mean, sure, Infinity CTF is awful, but their core Flag experience is such a shadow of its former self that it just ends up being depressing. Oddball as a whole has been practically abandoned by the developers since it doesn't have a home in matchmaking and it was never adopted in the tournament scene (because of throwing?), while King, a gametype that I actually think got some really strong changes, is now relegated to 12- and 16- player grenade clusterfuck playlists.

Half the problem is on the playlist side (asymmetric maps, multiple Gauss Hogs and Mantises on 5v5 CTF maps), but the other half lies squarely on the shoulders of poor gametype design. Dominion with all of its structural and scoring problems replacing Territories rather than being an extension or offshoot, the CTF (mostly this) and Oddball (but a little of this) changes, Grifball being used as the primary gametype for a possible Assault variant rather than the other way around, and maps that seem to have completely ignored the contents of the shipping gamerype suite. Even then, if somehow 1 Flag had made it, it still would have a waypoint. That's why I don't want or care if something like Zanzibar or Terminal gets remade. The gametype settings have practically sucked away all the elements that made them interesting in the first place, so unless those changes get reverted, why bother?

I learned very quickly with Halo 4 that I value meta-level elements in objective play a lot more than I had initially thought, and it simply isn't there with this game.

Very good points, good insight, I just knew I couldn't stand the objective gametypes in Halo 4 but couldn't put it into words, you did it very well.

And Oddball is not in the tournament scene because of throwing the ball off the map I think. Not general throwing.

KOTH is not in the tournament scene because of the glitch t double up the points.

Yeah I liked those gametypes as 4v4, I also really like 2 site Extraction in Throwdown, this gametype is probably one of the best completely new things in Halo 4

m23

I'm probably alone on this but I miss High Ground. It wouldn't make much sense in Halo 4 of course since there aren't any one sided round based gametypes ie 1 Flag :(

Shadders

Ah, sweet! Will check that out later tonight.

I'm probably alone on this but I miss High Ground. It wouldn't make much sense in Halo 4 of course since there aren't any one sided round based gametypes ie 1 Flag :(

Hasn't stopped it being filled with asymmetric maps. High Ground would fit right in. I assumed High Ground was being remade, after they released that range of toys based on it last Christmas. In hindsight it was a bizarre decision to use High Ground for that toy line..

EDIT: McFarlane Micro Ops High Ground: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjFrCHWhzM

BigShow36

You really think halo 3 an 4 play similarly? I think the severe amount of autoaim alone makes halo 4 a much different feeling game.

Sure, when it comes down to it, both games are very similar. No one is outshooting anyone in either game (the aim assist in 4 is comparable to 3 as far as I remember), it's all about holding a power position and teamshotting. Yeah, there are wrinkles that distinguish the two, especially when we look at the "default" experience, but at a competitive level they are very similar.

And then there’s sprint. I hate sprint and I hope that there were no armor abilities or perks in the game. I would like to play Halo: shoot, grenade, melee, that’s it.

I will gladly switch to Battlefield without fear then, you cant have a lead game with such obsolete gameplay.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I know I've said it a million times, but Halo 3 will always be my favorite. It has its issues, but it just feels the most like Halo to me.

Top Bottom