• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

FInally got into H4 matchmaking after some finagling with unplugging the ethernet cable.

Can't believe haven rocket launcher starts with 6 rockets. Who thought that was a good idea?

I thought they said Jun died at castle base, or whatever that Highlands map is.
No. The Spartan that died at CASTLE remains unnamed and confirmed as a Spartan-II, not a III. Highlands is based on the training facility from Fall of Reach. Jun never really died -- there was a ton of speculation about it, though.

Nowise10

No. The Spartan that died at CASTLE remains unnamed and confirmed as a Spartan-II, not a III. Highlands is based on the training facility from Fall of Reach. Jun never really died -- there was a ton of speculation about it, though.

Well I remember HaloWaypoint had this video showing the canon behind the Defiant maps, and how Masterchief was on Condemned in some team based operation, then they explained Highlands and It showed a dead body of jun laying next to the pelican.

TCKaos

Here is that video. You can clearly see its Jun at 2:01, although a comment suggest that it is just some random spartan and 343 used his (exact) armor for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jh7Q3fjIIwc&t=111

The group of SPARTANs the narrator references are all IIs that died when they leapt from Pelicans that had been heavily damaged entering orbit. It happens either at the end of The Fall of Reach or at the beginning of First Strike. I think 343i just had the model on hand or something because the other dead SPARTAN-IIIs in the background are also wearing Jun's armor, I think.

Omni

Here is that video. You can clearly see its Jun at 2:01, although a comment suggest that it is just some random spartan and 343 used his (exact) armor for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jh7Q3fjIIwc&t=111

Not related at all, but that video led me to this one from ODST. So badass. I got more out of that cutscene than I did with all of Halo 4's QTEs. We need moar scenes that aren't just Master Chief walking around talking to Cortana.

Fuchsdh

The group of SPARTANs the narrator references are all IIs that died when they leapt from Pelicans that had been heavily damaged entering orbit. It happens either at the end of The Fall of Reach or at the beginning of First Strike. I think 343i just had the model on hand or something because the other dead SPARTAN-IIIs in the background are also wearing Jun's armor, I think.

Beginning of First Strike (which always trips up people, because First Strike actually has more of the battle for Reach than The Fall of Reach did.)

Anyhow, it's unlikely that Jun would have been among them because those guys were all the Spartan IIs coming down from the PoA save for Master Chief's team which stayed in orbit to deal with Cole Protocol. Obviously the Spartan IIIs hadn't really been introduced (though they had been conceived) but it doesn't account for Jun's death either way.

Not related at all, but that video led me to this one from ODST. So badass. I got more out of that cutscene than I did with all of Halo 4's QTEs. We need moar scenes that aren't just Master Chief walking around talking to Cortana.

And that lead me to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPN7bZkIZA

Halo should do have trailer/infomercials like this. A good way to entertain and explain features in a way that's likely to gain traction on the interwebs.

How can anyone like Palmer?

I don't love the character nor do I hate her, I much preferred the campaign CGI characters to SPOPS characters with the exception of Halsey/Librarian.

Characters I do really like though are Roland, Lasky, Cortana, Chief, Halsey, Librarian and from FuD Mehaffey, Lasky, Kelly. More of those in the CGI or in game would be great.

Forget the SPOPS teams and just bring back blue team already, that's who we want on our six and sniping for us. Take the Nylund books and expand on that with the SIV's/Infinity overlayed. I'd rather play with the premier team so write them in and have them as the lead team. You could even provide that as the next gen SPOPS version or campaign extension where we play different characters or have some team controls via simple D-pad instructions. Also co-op fleshes out very nicely for campaign with blue team added, you get to pick you character or unlock them similar to ODST.

I don't love the character nor do I hate her, I much preferred the campaign CGI charaters to SPOPS characters with the exception of Halsey.

Characters I do really like though are Roland, Lasky, Cortana, Chief, Halsey, Librarian and from FuD Mehaffey, Lasky, Kelly. More of those in the CGI would be great.

Forget the SPOPS teams and just bring back blue team already. Take the Nylund books and expand on that.

the S-VIs that went to save Halsey are okay in my book. but fuck the Halo 4 writing team, the Spartan Ops team as a whole and Karen Traviss for being the basis for this abortion

Madness

I wonder if female players like Palmer.

I think Devo said she hated her guts too... And yet they want to keep shoving Palmer down our throats, forcing us to accept her as a main character. Really unprecedented that someone creates games, novels, comics and new lore around a character that many in the fanbase hate. It's like cut your losses already, people aren't going to just start liking her if she is written better.

I dont understand why Halo has characters.

Its Master Chief n Cortana whos now RIP. Vs. The aliens.

Stupid sub plots are stupid.

Hire Juices.

J10

Banned
its got nothing to do with her being female. she's just a giant asshole

I get that, but I asked because I wonder if there's some agenda at Microsoft to eventually put Palmer center stage with the Chief in an attempt to bring in a larger female audience. People around here have pointed out over and over how pathetically Halo 4 has tried to pander to everyone but held the interest of no one. What if sexualizing Cortana just as they kill her off while simultaneously pushing the shit out of Palmer is another example of that? Like I think we're supposed to think Palmer is some bad-ass take no shit Master Vagina Chief or something.

I dunno, I'm probably way off base.

Just saw this on Bungie Twitter, Community Embellishment Contest:

BP5HzZbCUAA-Jqf.jpg:large

I get that, but I asked because I wonder if there's some agenda at Microsoft to eventually put Palmer center stage with the Chief in an attempt to bring in a larger female audience. People around here have pointed out over and over how pathetically Halo 4 has tried to pander to everyone but held the interest of no one. What if sexualizing Cortana just as they kill her off while simultaneously pushing the shit out of Palmer is another example of that? Like I think we're supposed to think Palmer is some bad-ass take no shit Master Vagina Chief or something.

I dunno, I'm probably way off base.

It hasn't been confirmed that Cortana is dead, if anything she has become Metastable.
And it seems like a large portion of the audience (male and Female) hate Palmer. and iff Palmer becomes a main character, 343 will lose even more people than when Halo 4 went down the drain. Palmer is a character that appeals to almost no one.

Mix

:lol

They're so terrible.

Except Johnson was actually interesting. Jun was arguably the worst character in Reach, IMO.
Go read Fistful of Arrows. It's the best piece of fanfiction ever put out for Halo. It's a comic released by (I think it was) Leviathan. Made Jun into a badass

Madness

My lady friends (who are all gay) love Jennifer Hale but found Palmer to be boring, and a trope.

I'm not inclined to disagree.

I don't know about tropes or any of that discussion almost every character is a trope I guess.

I just know Palmer doesn't work as a hero, as a leader, as someone fans should embrace or look upto. At this point they may as well make her an antagonist. Working against Chief and Halsey. That would work. I feel for Palmer the same way I felt about Myrrah in Gears and yet they're trying to make her into an Anya.

I don't know about tropes or any of that discussion almost every character is a trope I guess.

I just know Palmer doesn't work as a hero, as a leader, as someone fans should embrace or look upto. At this point they may as well make her an antagonist. Working against Chief and Halsey. That would work. I feel for Palmer the same way I felt about Myrrah in Gears and yet they're trying to make her into an Anya.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Halo4

Madness

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Halo4

Damn, people actually do that for all games and TV shows? I bet it's similar for almost every movie or game released no?

I mean for me, the gameplay of Halo matters first, then the story and then it's honestly what the story is about, where it's going as opposed to the implications or meanings behind why Palmer told Chief, 'thought you'd be taller'.

Purplemage

Neo Member
So Jun's made it off Reach? Awesome! Always really bugged me how he just left the party and we never got any resolution while we watched our main character die.

Madness

So Jun's made it off Reach? Awesome! Always really bugged me how he just left the party and we never got any resolution while we watched our main character die.

Yup and he went from protecting Halsey to promoting the one character who will try to kill her and shoot her in the arm instead.

Omni

They should put Palmer, the SIVs, 343i's art director and gameplay designer on a ship and just have Jul blow the shit out of it. And then Halo would be good again.

Fuchsdh

MLG is good.
Ody is not.

What's your avy referencing this time? (And how many of these things do you have made now?)

And yeah, bringing the Spartans back in the games would be awesome. In terms of chances for confusing the players, I don't see it as being an issue. All you really need is a marine to do his slackjawed yokel routine when they step on deck and one line of dialogue.

I really liked the contrast between the marines' deference to Chief (I mean, they basically let him grab a bunch of weapons and scooch off with a Pelican, no questions asked) and the Spartan-IVs relative indifference. I really hope 343 dives more into that incongruity and about how some of them "earn" or haven't earned the Spartan tag--Halsey's lines to her captors when she was being transferred was some of the best parts of the game, and really bring that aspect into focus. It's a shame we didn't get more of that in the game or in Spartan Ops, and so I hope that thread doesn't get dropped.

Also Frankie was definitely right: I haven't missed having my secondary silhouette visible at all.
I definitely have. But then again, I play Reach still, so I don't miss it when I'm playing that. Again, what is the point of having a silhouette of the primary when the gun is already obscuring at least, what, 10% of your viewable area? Also, the irony is that it would be more useful in Halo 4 because of the more diverse loadouts--it's far more likely you might forget which secondary you're currently holding.

Destiny can't come soon enough.

What's your avy referencing this time? (And how many of these things do you have made now?)

And yeah, bringing the Spartans back in the games would be awesome. In terms of chances for confusing the players, I don't see it as being an issue. All you really need is a marine to do his slackjawed yokel routine when they step on deck and one line of dialogue.

I really liked the contrast between the marines' deference to Chief (I mean, they basically let him grab a bunch of weapons and scooch off with a Pelican, no questions asked) and the Spartan-IVs relative indifference. I really hope 343 dives more into that incongruity and about how some of them "earn" or haven't earned the Spartan tag--Halsey's lines to her captors when she was being transferred was some of the best parts of the game, and really bring that aspect into focus. It's a shame we didn't get more of that in the game or in Spartan Ops, and so I hope that thread doesn't get dropped.

Well 343 hates Halsey now, so they dont want anyone else liking her. we see this in the Writing for SPOPS, Halo 4 and the Kilo Five Trilogy.

all of these people deserve to be fired.

Fuchsdh

See? Perfect set up for Jun to have to kill Palmer. Perfect resolution.

Well Jun was given pretty explicit instructions to toast Halsey if it looked like the Covenant might capture her. He might have been fast enough to put her down before the Prometheans cast a Scroll of Town Portal and buggered off. :p

Well 343 hates Halsey now, so they dont want anyone else liking her. we see this in the Writing for SPOPS, Halo 4 and the Kilo Five Trilogy.

all of these people deserve to be fired.

And my rebuttal to that is that you have deficient skills at close reading. Halsey is presented as a tremendously sympathetic character, even as the people around her hate her guts. I'm certainly not saying the writing in Spartan Ops was flawless or even the overall quality I would like, but there's a wealth of subtlety people have apparently missed. If they hated her, they would never have brought her into the games in a way even Bungie barely did.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I definitely have. But then again, I play Reach still, so I don't miss it when I'm playing that. Again, what is the point of having a silhouette of the primary when the gun is already obscuring at least, what, 10% of your viewable area? Also, the irony is that it would be more useful in Halo 4 because of the more diverse loadouts--it's far more likely you might forget which secondary you're currently holding.

Destiny can't come soon enough.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Again, it's a minor issue, but I've stumbled over it a few times.

JDHarbs

I think Jun should be in Halo 5. Along with the other Surviving spartans that i like: Majestic, the other good S-IIIs and The Remaining S-IIs.
I'd like to see more returning characters as well. I really just want to see Halo 5 have a better sense of continuity from Bungie's games and the novels. Halo 4's Chief/Cortana-focused story felt strange to me. I barely saw any references to the events of Bungie's games so it didn't help the game feel like the fourth installment in the main series to me, but more like a setup to it.

Madness

Did anyone else read Duncan's recap of his and DBO crew's trip to E3? I'm honestly curious to see just how much of an impact Destiny and Bungie will have on Halo going forward.

Fuchsdh

Did anyone else read Duncan's recap of his and DBO crew's trip to E3? I'm honestly curious to see just how much of an impact Destiny and Bungie will have on Halo going forward.

I don't think all that much. People are really hyped because it's a new universe; it's a chance to go back to those early days of Halo where people knew nothing about it. I hope Destiny lives up to the hype and it's a cool universe, but I ultimately don't think it means much for Halo either way.

Top Bottom