• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Karen Traviss
Haren Eraviss
Hiren Ertviss
[...]
Halsey is Hitler.

H3tqUxP.gif

Gods i hate Karen traviss and all the writers that worked on Halo 4

Omni

It would be boring for most parts of the game?
As opposed to the super interesting story that is Halo 4, hah!

But seriously, only one of his books suffered from being terribly tedious (second one I think... Too much Halo walking). First and last books were amazing.

Fuchsdh

only his middle book suffered from the gut wrenching boredom

I still found it interesting. Greg Bear writes in a very classic "hard" sci-fi style, which certainly makes his stuff less accessible, but I enjoyed it a lot. In terms of pacing it does feel like a lot of things were too loaded in the back third, but I've reread and enjoyed all the books immensely.

I still found it interesting. Greg Bear writes in a very classic "hard" sci-fi style, which certainly makes his stuff less accessible, but I enjoyed it a lot. In terms of pacing it does feel like a lot of things were too loaded in the back third, but I've reread and enjoyed all the books immensely.

dont get me wrong i loved the forerunner trilogy. its just that primordium is really just walking

Fuchsdh

dont get me wrong i loved the forerunner trilogy. its just that primordium is really just walking
And I'm not saying he couldn't have mad e it more consequential to the plot, I'm just saying I still enjoyed it. Didn't feel like 100 pages to me or whatever, obviously YMMV.

The fact that there wasn't really any payoff with the inhabitants of the ring was a bit odd in terms of the overall arc.

And I'm not saying he couldn't have mad e it more consequential to the plot, I'm just saying I still enjoyed it. Didn't feel like 100 pages to me or whatever, obviously YMMV.

The fact that there wasn't really any payoff with the inhabitants of the ring was a bit odd in terms of the overall arc.

Indeed, the part with the Creature being held together in the Hut could have been expanded upon a bit.

Josh Holmes on future of Halo without Chief:

"Is there a world where Halo continues without Master Chief? Absolutely. I think there are stories waiting to be told across the universe that are compelling. It just comes down to having characters that people care about and mysteries that warrant exploration. Right now we’re telling the story of the Master Chief and that’s something I think people will hopefully care a great deal about, but I don’t see why you can’t have another character exist in the Halo universe that’s equally as interesting and appealing"​

Summed up, basically means we know you like Chief but we want to go with Palmer.
Good luck with that. Halo 4 introduced exactly ZERO new characters that are interesting and worth caring about:
- Palmer was an insult to the concept of a strong female character
- Lasky is just an officer who at one time knew the Chief and is barely there as a character. Hell, the angry general dude had more bombast to his character, and he's apparently gone now.
- The brodudes in the new Spartan program might as well be wearing a red shirt for all the attention they deserve.
The only new character development (Lasky, THE MAIN VILLAIN) occurs outside of Halo 4, which is really not something you want to do if you make them vapid and forgettable in the game itself.

The fucking Rookie in ODST had more character than anything 343 has introduced to us so far. And they want us to be ready for new adventures with other characters beside the Chief? Ha.

Ghazi

Eric Nylund is gone from Halo, so RIP any chances we had of any superb writing. A Halo with Greg Bear doesn't sound half bad, though. I loved the Forerunner trilogy, some of my favorite stories alongside Nylund's books even if the second one was boring. The Didact might actually be interesting if he wrote some of the dialogue too.

Mix

Eric Nylund is gone from Halo, so RIP any chances we had of any superb writing. A Halo with Greg Bear doesn't sound half bad, though. I loved the Forerunner trilogy, some of my favorite stories alongside Nylund's books even if the second one was boring. The Didact might actually be interesting if he wrote some of the dialogue too.

This is also true, Bear is a fantastic writer and Halo 4's campaign would have been much better with him at the helm. All we can do is hope for Halo 5

Wait, so they've said they want to switch to more linear setpieces, right?

If that's the case then why the hell did they introduce an enemy as massive as the Seeker? Something tells me it's going to be an awful, awful boss battle where it either stays still and you have to shell it with tank rounds OR it's just the Lich 2.0 and flies around dumping out Sentinels and you have to board it eventually.

There needs to be more BR/DMR/Carbine placements on Legendary slayer maps. Also, why not any Overshield/Invisibility placements? I do enjoy Legendary Slayer, but it feels kinda rushed in a few ways... like not spawning with a Pistol secondary.

I wonder if 343 will put the Boltshot on the Pit where the Mauler used to spawn.

There needs to be more BR/DMR/Carbine placements on Legendary slayer maps. Also, why not any Overshield/Invisibility placements? I do enjoy Legendary Slayer, but it feels kinda rushed in a few ways... like not spawning with a Pistol secondary.

I wonder if 343 will put the Boltshot on the Pit where the Mauler used to spawn.

BR is Halo... I mean Ghost says its the best rifle so it is, right?

and the Boltshow seems to make the most sense with Halo 4's sandbox.

i miss dual wielding

I was just watching a Battlefield 3 stream and the dude is in a chopper and he makes a truce with the other team's chopper pilot? That's a thing? So the two of them wreck each other's teammates but don't attack one another? That's probably the saddest thing I've seen in gaming this year.

I was considering getting BF3 as a replacement for Halo 4, but that alone makes me not want to do it.

Maybe he was one of his friends, every time I saw an enemy chopper it salutes me with his missiles and hate.

Who are Majestic again? The SIIIs from Spartan Ops?

:lol ew. I am surprised that anyone would want to see them again. To me, they stand for everything that Spartans aren't. Only decent one is [forgot his name... David? I dunno]

Or Team Crimson.

FyreWulff

Top 5 no questions asked. Game has multiplayer, so more people will play...even though a majority of it is behind a paywall

Let's be honest here, everybody is going to be in Social Slayer and that has no DLC paywall to it

GTA IV is 5.

WHAT

People probably popping in the game in the lead up to GTAV. Remember, it counts anyone logged into Live playing the game solo or multi.. also, both the original release and the Episodes discs count as GTAIV

Let's be honest here, everybody is going to be in Social Slayer and that has no DLC paywall to it
That pretty much the only way to play Halo 3 these days, you just won't get a decent game in anything else.

People probably popping in the game in the lead up to GTAV. Remember, it counts anyone logged into Live playing the game solo or multi.. also, both the original release and the Episodes discs count as GTAIV
Gta5 hype in full effect.

GTA mp is a lot of fun.
Oh, I understand the spike in players, but how high the spike is (and how strong that game has remained over the last five years) is amazing.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Plus, a lot of people are probably playing it because of Rooster Teeth's Let's Plays.

Also, this is the best thing ever.

Top Bottom