• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

Even Forged versions will suffer from some of the limitations that the sandbox design of Halo 4. No matter if you don't have AAs, you still have to worry about which 2 aspects you are going to bandaid up. Weapon reload speed, grenade pickup, explosive damage, etc.
Reload speed isn't really nerfed from previous games, the perk just makes it much faster. As for the grenades, I wouldn't say making them all more powerful across the board is a good idea. Not sure off the top of my head though if you can stack the grenade pickup mod with the reduced flinch.

actually not bad, man. Just as good as anything Davidge put out.

Thanks! I think Kazuma Jinnouchi did the real magic on the soundtrack anyway.

Dude.. This is Amazing.. Literally.
343 Has To Hire You
Along with Juices

Glad you liked it! Doing music with 343 is one hundred percent my dream job.

#hirejellycrackers

Sounds great. What program do you use to record?

Thanks! didn't actually record anything, I just sequenced it all in by hand with midi while I was stuck in a hotel room. I use Acoustica Mixcraft 6 along with Kontakt 5, LA Scoring Strings, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, and some other smaller libraries I've collected over the years.

Thanks! I think Kazuma Jinnouchi did the real magic on the soundtrack anyway.

Glad you liked it! Doing music with 343 is one hundred percent my dream job.

#hirejellycrackers

Thanks! didn't actually record anything, I just sequenced it all in by hand with midi while I was stuck in a hotel room. I use Acoustica Mixcraft 6 along with Kontakt 5, LA Scoring Strings, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, and some other smaller libraries I've collected over the years.

Double Dragon: Jellycrackers and Wahrer Take 343 pls

If you combine our names, you get Steven Wahrer. You know who Steven Wahrer is? THE GUY WHO SANG AND DID DRUMS FOR SURFIN' BIRD. It has to mean something. #EverythingIsTrueNothingIsForbidden

Bro-fist through time and computer.

Bro fist is reciprocated.

Double Dragon: Jellycrackers and Wahrer Take 343 pls

If you combine our names, you get Steven Wahrer. You know who Steven Wahrer is? THE GUY WHO SANG AND DID DRUMS FOR SURFIN' BIRD. It has to mean something. #EverythingIsTrueNothingIsForbidden

I don't know Surfin' bird... =/

I was SO tempted to make a throwaway youtube account and post it as "Halo 5 soundtrack leak" and see if it people would believe it and pass it around and what not. But I decided not to be one of those guys. I think it would have worked if I had, though.

AvalonX

Neo Member
I've never understood all the hate for Sprint, and yes I've seen the many posts here concerning it. I guess ever since the trailer for Halo 3 where Chief ran into the field of Brutes I assumed Halo was gonna have Sprint. And unless movement speed were decently increased for strafing purposes I can't see removing it. Halo 3 always felt so sluggish and slow for me.

At least now I can get my double kill and sprint off towards the next two victims. Or in Halo 4's instant respawn world get me the hell away from those corpses who are now coming back to kill me.

Plus trick jumps on the cage while everyone was using jetpack was a joy to me.

Right, increase the strafe. Sprint blows.

Hit markers help provide feedback in latency-rich games, dropped shots in H3 were annoying. There's nothing wrong with them being added to guns, it's just confirmation the shots are going where you are aiming. Hit markers from grenades and similar situations should not happen, though. You shouldn't be able to probe with grenades.

I let my xbl gold run out 2 weeks ago for the first time since getting a 360. Halo has always been able to keep me interested, but not anymore. It's strange, I thought reach was bad but was able to stick with it for 2 years; I couldn't even go 8 months with halo 4.

Computer

Reload speed isn't really nerfed from previous games, the perk just makes it much faster. As for the grenades, I wouldn't say making them all more powerful across the board is a good idea. Not sure off the top of my head though if you can stack the grenade pickup mod with the reduced flinch.

The problem with Halo 4 grenades is the physics.

FyreWulff

Have you played both games?

They're subtle in halo 4 but really obvious is cod. There's even a noise for the hitmarker in cod

I didn't play in HD until MW2 and at that point I played multiplayer like three times per game

I remember the hit noise in Halo 1 PC, but I must have just ignored it in CoD. I assumed every time people were talking about hitmarkers before, they were talking about the indicators of where you're being hit from. Or if I saw it, I probably just assumed it was part of the bloom animation in CoD.

I had to go youtube halo 4's just now, it's so small that it gets artifacted out half the time by the decoding algorithm. But yes, color me surprised such a 'debug' feature exists in new games..

Fracas

#fuckonami
TF2 will always win award for most annoying hitsounds.

I don't really know if this compares, but the screams in Chivalry are pretty bad, and they happen with nearly every hit. Sometimes the sound glitches out and you hear corpses screaming unconvincingly lol. It's kind of creepy.

FyreWulff

If you think about it Halo is a FPS that should have a sound when the the bullets land. They are ricocheting off a exoskeleton shield or some shit.

The nice thing about the shields flaring is it communicates what's happening to the target even to teammates that are not actively firing on it or in range. Hit sounds just play to the client making the hits.

Reach's feedback system was nicely done in this regard.

@jellycrackers: just listened to Regenesis for the first time. Love the little Celtic harp bit near the end, you weaved it in really nicely without it sounding too out-of-place like most people do with it.

Which piano were you using for the "plinks" at the very end, was that TruePianos?

Fuchsdh

If you think about it Halo is a FPS that should have a sound when the the bullets land. They are ricocheting off a exoskeleton shield or some shit.
Yeah I agree with Fyre Halo already has a pretty good visual feedback system in all the games, especially in Reach before the bleed through. Besides I'd rather be hearing other stuff than pings or whathaveyou.

They should go back to sparks flying off your shields and armor like in the pre release h4 vids.

They should add particle effects when you are being shoot without shield and lost part of your armor affecting your shield capacity in Halo 5, It could be amazing.

TIL both Call of Duty and Halo 4 have indicators that your shots are landing

I'm serious

Dont forget the headshot indicator sound too.

Computer

They should add particle effects when you are being shoot without shield and lost part of your armor affecting your shield capacity in Halo 5, It could be amazing.

Dont forget the headshot indicator sound too.

I think it would be cool if they would add detail to the game like taking armor damage in MP. It should not effect game play at all. The more fire fights you are in during a single respawn the more damage you show. Then it should reset when you die and re spawn. It is nothing game changing but I think it adds a little more to Halo that has never been done before.

Fuchsdh

I think it would be cool if they would add detail to the game like taking armor damage in MP. It should not effect game play at all. The more fire fights you are in during a single respawn the more damage you show. Then it should reset when you die and re spawn. It is nothing game changing but I think it adds a little more to Halo that has never been done before.

Well, next-gen might be the only place that is actually feasible, but even if it was just scorching your armor where you've been hit it could be cool. I imagine getting they to work with a bunch of armor perms and skins could be problematic though...

While we are dreaming, it would be awesome if you could toggle damage indications on and off. People doing machinima would have a cool tool at their disposal then.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm down for more armor visuals/sound when hit. I always wondered how blood shot out of a Spartan when they are all inside suits. Yeah, an elbow or in-between area could get hit and tore through, but the blood was always odd to me. Bullets bouncing off shields and then pinging off armor would be cool to see/hear.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok I need help guys, maybe someone had that happen to him and knows a solution.

WHen I start Halo 4 it is in a loop trying to check downloadable content.

Yes Over already suggested throwing the disc away

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
TIL both Call of Duty and Halo 4 have indicators that your shots are landing

I'm serious
Yeah, I barely noticed the Halo 4 hitmarkers until I played Battlefield 3 and got used to looking for them. Even then, though, they don't really register with me.

I'm down for more armor visuals/sound when hit. I always wondered how blood shot out of a Spartan when they are all inside suits. Yeah, an elbow or in-between area could get hit and tore through, but the blood was always odd to me. Bullets bouncing off shields and then pinging off armor would be cool to see/hear.

Don't Spartans also have a layer of liquid crystal junk in their bodysuits to manage electronic transmissions and AI housing, too? It'd be pretty neat if they added in different consistencies per health level. Damage to people with a lot of health could just be armor sparks, mid-level would be the gunky liquid crystal junk, low level health would be blood, and when the Spartan dies they just end up caked in a ton of iridescent goopy Mjolnir pudding.

Yeah I agree with Fyre Halo already has a pretty good visual feedback system in all the games, especially in Reach before the bleed through. Besides I'd rather be hearing other stuff than pings or whathaveyou.
They can have all of it, no need to be mutually exclusive. Hit markers on guns is fine, on grenades they are not.

Even your xbox doesn't want to play Halo 4. Take it as a sign.

Karl2177

I had it. My solution was to boot into the game while disconnected from the Internet. Then plug the Ethernet in and connect to Live. Alternatively, unplug your Xbox from the wall and try again. If that doesn't work, it means the servers are down(but I would assume they're just fine).

Edit: according to 4J Studios, Live in general is having problems.

Quake 3 tin can hit noise is a love/hate sound sample, it's so useful in an arena shooter but why did they flick a can to get the sound?

Even your xbox doesn't want to play Halo 4. Take it as a sign.

"Because fuck you, go play Throwdown if you want starting rifles, BITCH"

- Quinn DelHoyo (presumably)

Don't worry, 343 is about to hand players a map with an insta-SWAT switch. Can't wait!

"Please come play our game. PLEASE!! We'll give you an achievement for just standing around, for god's sake!"

- 343 Industries, 2013

The cheapest offer will be Halo 3.

60609-emperor_palpatine.jpg

Computer

Halo 5 should have custom HUD options. My favorite HUD was Halo 2. I loved having a small shield meter on top of the radar. It was so much easier to keep a eye on everything in one corner of the screen.

heckfu

Banned
oops wrong thread or something

fifa 14 ultimate team will have all of your settings, players, coins etc transfer from this generation of consoles to the next. that's amazing.

and it'll carry over all online rankings from 360 to xbox 1 as well.

NOW I JUST NEED MORE PEOPLE TO PLAY

Tawpgun

oops wrong thread or something

fifa 14 ultimate team will have all of your settings, players, coins etc transfer from this generation of consoles to the next. that's amazing.

and it'll carry over all online rankings from 360 to xbox 1 as well.

NOW I JUST NEED MORE PEOPLE TO PLAY

Make me good

ZeNy

Neo Member
Did someone notice that Jun A-266 is still alive after Reach?

Commander Palmer Armor - Read the description of this product, from Xbox.com

Once an ODST, Sarah Palmer was hand-picked by former Spartan-III Jun A-266 to be one of the first candidates in the new Spartan IV program. Quickly proving herself during the defense of the UNSC Infinity from a hostile takeover by Insurrectionists, Palmer was soon called upon to lead a Spartan strike team during the historic Battle of Draetheus-V. Now the senior Spartan aboard Infinity, Commander Palmer went on to be instrumental in the recovery of the Master Chief and the defeat of Jul ‘Mdama at Requiem.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm bored, sitting here with my broken wrist wishing I could play Halo, but watching old Reach clips in theater mode instead. So many good times. I could make a fifteen minute montage of just monsterfracas Yoinks, probably.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm bored, sitting here with my broken wrist wishing I could play Halo, but watching old Reach clips in theater mode instead. So many good times. I could make a fifteen minute montage of just monsterfracas Yoinks, probably.
Do it!

THanks guys, yes it seems Xbox Live as a whole is slow af.

Just played a legendary slayer game: 31-0 ..then everyone left.

Top Bottom