• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Is the new Tomb Raider anything like Uncharted? Started Uncharted recently and I'm liking it so I want to see if there's anything close to that on the 360.

Yes and no, Has the same sort of traversal into combat style and big set pieces, but is a bit more open than Uncharted. You'll like it if you like Uncharted though.

Play Uncharted 2 though. One of my top 5 all time.

Is the new Tomb Raider anything like Uncharted? Started Uncharted recently and I'm liking it so I want to see if there's anything close to that on the 360.

Yes and no, Has the same sort of traversal into combat style and big set pieces, but is a bit more open than Uncharted. You'll like it if you like Uncharted though.

Play Uncharted 2 though. One of my top 5 all time.

Yep

Bottom line: If you enjoy the Uncharted series, you'll like Tomb Raider.

heckfu

Banned
Can't you make lists and it will auto draft fit those that can't be there live?

Yeah, but it's super unhelpful because the lists aren't reactive to everything else going on. Let's say you are fifth in the draft and assume you want to draft a top RB...but Tom Brady is still on the board and you can pick up a good catch.

Well your list won't reflect last minute bargains like that or trades that happen in the chat on draft day. It's a super imperfect system that can ruin a whole season. And when someone's season is ruined they just check out and don't play, and when they don't play you can't make trades or get some of their players they're just sitting on and not using.

I think I was unclear: most people go into a draft and pick by rounds, i.e, running back, qb, wr, etc etc. You can pick your top players but what if you stack and put AP and Arian Foster at the top assuming that someone will snag one or the other...but they dont. Now you're stuck with 2 RB, a shitty QB and so on.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd say see who wants in, then make a time list on doodle.com and have people select when they can draft and see if anything matches up for everyone. May have to be like late night on a weekend or something, but we could get it done.

Fuchsdh

Why do people like Uncharted so much? It was certainly fun but there was nothing there that made me want to revisit the campaign and the multiplayer got old fast.

I like Uncharted and didn't enjoy Tomb Raider
at all.

Why do people like Uncharted so much? It was certainly fun but there was nothing there that made me want to revisit the campaign and the multiplayer got old fast.

The games have good characters and writing. The gameplay has always been rough, though.

Not sure. I think Naughty Dog is one of the most overrated developers out there. I hated Crash, liked Jak, and see absolutely nothing special about Uncharted. It's their typical style-over-substance, linear, showcase title like Crash was. At least Jak broke off from that and had an open world setting later on. I reserve judgement on The Last of Us, but it doesn't look all that much more interesting than Uncharted.

Booties

Banned
Once you get over the QTEs in Tomb Raider it becomes more enjoyable. Lara's 'vulnerability' is really annoying at first. I appreciate a good item quest game though, and that's what TR is for me.

Booties

Banned
There are so many ways to play LoU. It's a story driven game, yes. It has one story, so it may SEEM linear. But gameplay? Get out of here son. You are literally just talking out your ass.

TheOddOne

Not all games need to be the same. Publishers only go where the money is, but at the same time insult the consumer by thinking that they only want one type of game.

Diversification, mothereffers! You know what I'm saying?

Complaining about a game being linear in a Halo thread.

Linear /= bad, people need to stop perpetuating this mentality.
Halo allows you a good degree of freedom in the sandbox despite following a linear path. That's not a bad thing. In my opinion, linearity becomes bad when it limits gameplay options, brings too many setpiece moments, and focuses on the "cinematic" element. (see: Uncharted).

Halo 4 runs the Halo sandbox through a toilet paper tube, making the levels long but narrow. Also limits a ton of the varied approaches previous Halo campaigns allowed. That with the constant weapon despawning makes Halo 4's linearity insufferable.

Madness

LuS8BFF.jpg

Sierra 117 from Halo 3. Would be considered 'linear' by many since it's just an A to B movement, but you could approach the sections any number of ways, deal with enemies any way you want. I wouldn't consider them linear the way most people do.

LuS8BFF.jpg

Sierra 117 from Halo 3. Would be considered 'linear' by many since it's just an A to B movement, but you could approach the sections any number of ways, deal with enemies any way you want. I wouldn't consider them linear the way most people do.
Winter Contingency and The Silent Cartographer are better examples of freedom in a structured level because both of them allow you run engagements in the order that you choose (you can even skip a lot of the fights) and give you a variety of ways to effectively tackle the tasks each mission has you do.

My big gripe in pertinence to Halo 4's level design is that there isn't really a mission that allows you to play with the sandbox in an organic manner. It's very funneled in.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah, good job at taking just about the most linear level in Halo 3. Introduction levels aside, Halo (sans 4) is mostly linear corridors with enemies leading to open areas with enemies. In Tomb Raider 90% of the time when you're fighting enemies you're doing so in a linear environment with very few different options. I can only really remember one section where you could freely move around in an open area which was occupied with a large amount of enemies. That section aside most open areas had nothing but a billion different collectibles and one or two easy puzzles in tombs.

So yeah, had there been more enemies in area where you could actually approach them in varying ways Tomb Raider would be more comparable to Halo in terms of linearity. The game would've been much better if that was the case. More interesting stuff to collect and a lot more puzzles would've also helped the game out. They could've even spiced things up a bit if survival was more of a focus.

Still enjoyed it for what it was, though. Using the bow for 90% of the game was pretty neat.

Fuchsdh

Winter Contingency and The Silent Cartographer are better examples of freedom in a structured level because both of them allow you run engagements in the order that you choose (you can even skip a lot of the fights) and give you a variety of ways to effectively tackle the tasks each mission has you do.

My big gripe in pertinence to Halo 4's level design is that there isn't really a mission that allows you to play with the sandbox in an organic manner. It's very funneled in.

Halo 4 is definitely one of the weaker overall Halo games in terms of campaign linearity (although personally I think it's generally slightly better than Halo 2 in most places), but compared to Uncharted Halo 4 might as well have been Skyrim more often then not. A lot of the larger spaces in Uncharted 2 were incredibly restrictive because they only really have one optimal path through them most of the time (combined with the jump, die, rinse, repeat method of problem-solving. The section with the tank was just not fun.) Halo also still has the option of speedrunning a lot of sections, a freedom that really doesn't exist for much of Uncharted, Bioshock, etc.

Next gen they won't have the same limitations on gamespaces, so I hope they bring us back to larger areas.

Halo 4 is definitely one of the weaker overall Halo games in terms of campaign linearity (although personally I think it's generally slightly better than Halo 2 in most places), but compared to Uncharted Halo 4 might as well have been Skyrim more often then not. A lot of the larger spaces in Uncharted 2 were incredibly restrictive because they only really have one optimal path through them most of the time (combined with the jump, die, rinse, repeat method of problem-solving. The section with the tank was just not fun.) Halo also still has the option of speedrunning a lot of sections, a freedom that really doesn't exist for much of Uncharted, Bioshock, etc.

Next gen they won't have the same limitations on gamespaces, so I hope they bring us back to larger areas.
I dunno. Halo 2 had a lot of unintended freedoms, such as the "vacations" on some levels. I love sneaking up to the rooftops on Outskirts and raining death from above. The set of missions on Delta Halo had some similar elements. Halo 2's far from my favorite Halo campaign, but it still managed to have fun with the sandbox in terms of some of its ambitions. Quarantine Zone wasn't the best mission, but I did enjoy the open fights with the Flood's new vehicle AI and the three ways fights going on between them and the Sentinels. I honestly think Halo 2 would have served as a better template for 4 in terms of inspiration. Instead I get a vague sense of an amalgamation of Halo 2 and some Call of Duty design tropes intermingled throughout. It doesn't help that the Prometheans are a big drag to fight.

Ugh, Uncharted sounds kind of nightmarish when put through that lens.

Omni

Except Halo 4's linearity had nothing to do with technical limitations.

Linearity is fine, as long as it's fun at the same time. Halo 2 while rather linear in its level design, was a hell of a lot of fun. As was Halo 3. So it really didn't matter so much - at least to me. Halo 4 however, not only has tedious gameplay with dull and repetitive enemies, but the levels are equally as boring and only serve to shovel you down into the same tedious and uneventful set pieces in which you have no control over. That Mammoth mission is the worst thing I've ever experience in a game. Disgusting.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Kind of a random question, but I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm trying to connect my headset to my laptop. Would this be all I need? I would assume my headset can function without the wireless transmitter, but I'm not sure.

edit: wait, I think I could only use it headphones or a mic, not both using this method.

Top Bottom