• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Fracas

#fuckonami
I was looking at some random Reach montages, and I found something I thought was kind of neat. In almost every clip I saw, the person performing the multikills was playing an objective game, and losing horribly lol. These people realise they're not playing slayer, right? Sure, you just killed like 6 people, but they weren't even looking at you, they were watching their teammate cap the flag to beat you 3-0.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear that.

I was looking at some random Reach montages, and I found something I thought was kind of neat. In almost every clip I saw, the person performing the multikills was playing an objective game, and losing horribly lol. These people realise they're not playing slayer, right? Sure, you just killed like 6 people, but they weren't even looking at you, they were watching their teammate cap the flag to beat you 3-0.
So many montages with multi-kills playing KotH in either FFA or Multi-Team.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Yeeaaah, but I'll always be proud of my flag-kill extermination in H3 on Standoff.

Karl2177

Eff that. I got a Killtac-Hail to the King. Debating on submitting it for Duncan's montage.

Hitmon- what time will you be getting on?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeeaaah, but I'll always be proud of my flag-kill extermination in H3 on Standoff.

Eff that. I got a Killtac-Hail to the King. Debating on submitting it for Duncan's montage.

Haha I'm not trying to take anything away from the clips themselves, it's just kinda funny, and it explains why so many people go for kills in objective gametypes (Not criticizing you guys, flag kill extermination sounds ridiculous, and I have yet to get a Hail to the King).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sure, if you want to extend that to pretty much anything subjective.
Although your reasoning may be different?
I just think that devs can be great at what they do but they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Lots of games don't give me closure in the sense that the game feels content complete and not lacking in execution of its intended ideas. These are of course a result of either, making a deadline, not living up to the hype, cutting content and the list goes on. Then you have the opposite where the games do not come out for a long time and it has little to no way of meeting expectations because its been retooled into something it was not originally.

Basically, I feel that though there cannot be a best dev there are games which are the "best."

I just think that devs can be great at what they do but they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Lots of games don't give me closure in the sense that the game feels content complete and not lacking in execution of its intended ideas. These are of course a result of either, making a deadline, not living up to the hype, cutting content and the list goes on. Then you have the opposite where the games do not come out for a long time and it has little to no way of meeting expectations because its been retooled into something it was not originally.

Basically, I feel that though there cannot be a best dev there are games which are the "best."
So you're saying that because devs are more a question of context (unlike games, which ultimately you're paying $60 for either), you can't claim one to be better than another?
That's fair enough.

I don't necessarily agree/disagree, it's a big grey area. People move around in this industry so much anyway.

Havok

Headstrong is unbelievably bad.

Also, Team Slayer 11k vs. Super Slayer 2k...why do these both exist again? As if you needed more proof that people pick Team Slayer because it has that iconic name.

IMG_0043.jpg

MM and RedbullLAN.

heckfu

Banned

Also, Team Slayer 11k vs. Super Slayer 2k...why do these both exist again? As if you needed more proof that people pick Team Slayer because it has that iconic name.

Completely agree about the population size being correlated to playlist name. I wish they would release the stats on voting, too, for what it's worth.

I was under the impression "Title Updated" Super Slayer had the labeling advantage.

Edit: Can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic.

Yeah, I can understand that.

I do think a certain level of evaluative common sense applies.
Valve have made great games I have liked before -> I have faith in their DOTA adaptation, gimme gimme gimme. I have faith that Portal X/HL3/New Stuff will be fantastic.
Bungie have made great games I have liked before, but I was let down by their latest game, on decisions that I blame upper management of the project for/for allowing -> I'm excited about what they do next (omg, Jason Jones, he so dreamy), but will be more cautious than I was for Reach.

Havok

I was under the impression "Title Updated" Super Slayer had the labeling advantage.
I dunno, I think at that point it sounds like a fringe, Action Sack-y playlist. Team Slayer has a weird mini-brand recognition that I don't want to underestimate.

I see what you're saying, in that Super implies better, but I don't think that really matters with such an iconic, recognizable name. I think the Team Slayer "brand" carries more weight than something that sounds wacky like Super Slayer (which is a terrible name, for the record). Certainly doesn't help that TS is higher in the listing.

Also, Team Skirmish is a better name than Team Objective, even if it's less descriptive.
Completely agree about the population size being correlated to playlist name. I wish they would release the stats on voting, too, for what it's worth.
I've love to get more data about gametypes and voting. Shishka used to at least give gametype weightings. Wish we had that, at least.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Holy balls, Michigan just went down, and Duke's not looking too good.
Please tell me nobody called Ohio and Lehigh winning in the bracket pool.

edit: Duke's going down, too! What is happening?!

I like how people think Bungie was the first developer to have a console FPS. Did Goldeneye and Perfect Dark just never happen in these people's reality?
There are a lot of things that aren't happening in those people's reality. It's best if we all just move on and ignore them.

I was looking at some random Reach montages, and I found something I thought was kind of neat. In almost every clip I saw, the person performing the multikills was playing an objective game, and losing horribly lol. These people realise they're not playing slayer, right?

Obviously they aren't playing the game as intended, but I can't really blame them. The game rewards them with everything but a win when they play that way. They get medals, credits, and a sweet K/D to go along with their montage clips. To fix it, all Bungie would've had to do is not give out slayer medals in objective and revamp stat tracking and post-game carnage reports to ignore traditional slayer stats in objective.

And yes, slayer is necessary in objective, but in a game of multi-team KOTH if you are going +30 with no hill time and your team is in last place you're probably doing it wrong.

P.S. I know that by trying to "fix" multi-team I am also, in fact, doing it wrong.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Did anyone have Norfolk St.? Hell of an ending.

From a quick glance, no one did.
Yesterday was a pretty boring round of games, but today has just been incredible. Two 2 seeds going down within hours of each other, who would've thought it?
edit: oh no lehigh what the hell are you doing

From a quick glance, no one did.
Yesterday was a pretty boring round of games, but today has just been incredible. Two 2 seeds going down within hours of each other, who would've thought it?
edit: oh no lehigh what the hell are you doing

Being the 15 seed we expect them to be.

Foot, meet mouth.

Oozer3993

I just won a Pillar of Autumn avatar prop from the HaloWaypoint Twitter, which almost makes up for my bracket bursting into flames today. Actually, screw it, the prop totally makes up for it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Today's unf list.

New key art.

Cinematic of new thing.

Animatic of utterly new thing.

Scale revelation.

Weapon naming decision

Music date

General realization

Granular realization

Engine look