• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Can we have some kind of smart algorithm so when im stood over rockets i actually pick up the rockets and not the assault rifle N00bie McScrubber 67 dropped

Fracas

#fuckonami
9727908.jpg

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

And yes, I want forge back, as well as 4-player theatre. Just no forge maps in MM unless forge gets an overhaul that adds color, lol. A few things I'd like to see get in but probably won't are customizable skyboxes or scripted events. Things like that combined with a terrain editor/weather generator could create some absolutely sick maps.

GhaleonEB

The only music I found to be consistently as good as Halo's is Legend of Zelda

Special mention to Panzer Dragoon, Mystical Ninja starring goeman (N64), Phanstasy star online 1 and mischief makers!

Yup, so much this.
Can we have some kind of smart algorithm so when im stood over rockets i actually pick up the rockets and not the assault rifle N00bie McScrubber 67 dropped

On that note:

When I'm standing over an enemy flag, I want to pick it up, not the assault rifle dropped by the guy I killed. Weapon juggling while standing over an objective is maddening and should have been resolved two games ago.

Risen

Forge is a much more demanded feature than having 4 folks in theater, that was actually a really sloppy feature in 3.

I remember loading times being plain retarded.

Only in clips maaaaaan. Forge is responsible for all that grey, frame rate issues in my multi player, and poorly designed maps for me to play on like The Cage. Theater is responsible for none of that and could give me hours of fun with friends watching awesomesauce and shenanigans alike.

Hey You

I'd love to see H4 return to just:

Lone Wolf
Double Team
Team Slayer
Team Skirmish
Big Team Battle

As all its playlists.
If we get a Custom Games browser, then sure. If not, no thank you.

Why do people want to put popular playlists on a weekend rotation? Infection and Grifball are becoming a regular part of Halo, getting up to Slayer and CTF.

Overdoziz

Banned
Only in clips maaaaaan. Forge is responsible for all that grey, frame rate issues in my multi player, and poorly designed maps for me to play on like The Cage. Theater is responsible for none of that and could give me hours of fun with friends watching awesomesauce and shenanigans alike.
Bungie is responsible for putting so many shitty Forge maps in matchmaking.

I'd love to see H4 return to just:

Lone Wolf
Double Team
Team Slayer
Team Skirmish
Big Team Battle

As all its playlists.

Ranked? Not ranked? Where are guests playing?

I'd say add two revolving week playlists to that. SWAT, Snipes, Living Dead, Grif, Rocket Race, Action Sack, Instagib, Noscopes, can all be thrown in there. With occasional new ones or old ones Fiesta FFA, things like that. If this isn't easy by now within the system you are doing something wrong.

Its almost necessary now to have an MLG playlist too.

Fuchsdh

I'd say add two revolving week playlists to that. SWAT Snipes Living Dead Grif Rocket Race Action Sack can all be thrown in there. With occasional new ones or old ones Fiesta FFA, things like that. If this isn't easy by now within the system you are doing something wrong.

You guys realize that Grifball and Infection are going nowhere, right?

I think it's better they get their own playlists anyhow, instead of worrying about people leaving games because they don't get the subtype they want.

I'm all for playlist reduction, but 343i isn't going to kill its popular playlists just because a segment doesn't enjoy them. The broad category of players obviously do.

You guys realize that Grifball and Infection are going nowhere, right?

I think it's better they get their own playlists anyhow, instead of worrying about people leaving games because they don't get the subtype they want.

I'm all for playlist reduction, but 343i isn't going to kill its popular playlists just because a segment doesn't enjoy them. The broad category of players obviously do.

Sheep need to be directed back into the Slayer Double Big Team playlists where they belong, They've found somewhere where they can farm credits and kills safely and need to be guided home. They can play their Zombies and Grifball everytime its up that week but we need to start funneling these kids back into the real playlists so we can get high populations and decent matchmaking pools.

Ken

Why not just have all playlists "ranked?" Separate playlists for ranked and not ranked to me just means there's one set of playlists where people are expected to play well and not quit and another where people can do whatever. Of course, people still quit all the time in ranked so it doesn't really matter.

Also, I'm quite tired of seeing (G) players in my games, regardless of playlist.

Silly gametypes belong in customs.

PUGs in MLG, from my experiences, are terrible so I'd imagine playing MLG customs with people you know is far more entertaining than trying to get a good game of MLG in matchmaking. But I don't play MLG enough to care about its inclusion or exclusion. All I really want is a reduction in the number of playlists.

CyReN

I like Forge and how it worked in Halo 3, it was there but wasn't half the game maps. Can't see why we can't have like 2-3 scenery (Halo/Cov/Forerunner) small forge worlds to get rid of the color issue plus still have it their for other communities.

Striker

I like Forge and how it worked in Halo 3, it was there but wasn't half the game maps. Can't see why we can't have like 2-3 scenery (Halo/Cov/Forerunner) small forge worlds to get rid of the color issue plus still have it their for other communities.
That's the implementation issue, not a problem with Forge.

They can use Forge to change spawns, a map variant, or any exploit (soft kill zones, for example). They should have done way more with Forge and its fixes in Halo 3 but only relegated to simple ones like changing the spawn horror show in Narrows, fixing up Snowbound shield doors and The Pit attic spawns, and a few other minor things. Standoff was a hell hole for much of the MM days with the laser/Warthog running free, for instance. Outside MLG, no Forged maps that have been added into MM has been any good, and let's not talk about the terrible heavy variants they've used in BTB for 3/Reach. It's no Gulch Wars, that's for sure.

Possible idea for H4's playlists:

Ranked
-Lone Wolf
-Double Team
-Team Slayer
-Team Skirmish
-Big Team Battle
-Invasion?
-Scoped Team Slayer? (stupid name I know, but it'd handle SWAT/Snipers)

Community
-MLG
-Grifball
-Action Sack ("Competitive" Minigames: Rocket Race, Speedflag, etc)
-Halo Party (Minigames like Jump Rope, Cat and Mouse)
-Weekend Warrior (Things like Laser Tag, Infection, possibly Team SWAT/Snipers, etc)

Cooperative
-Co-op Campaign
-Score Attack
-Firefight Doubles
-Firefight (Includes limited/unlimited)
-Arcadefight

And as for DLC weightings, Mercenaries playlists, guests, etc. they could be handled using the system I suggested a few pages ago:
I say get rid of all of the DLC playlists. It obviously won't be possible in Reach just because the engine isn't meant for it, but I think it'd be cool if some Ranked playlists required DLC (some of the major ones, like Rumble Pit/BTB/Slayer/Objective/Invasion, which would cover most niches), and the remainder (including Social) just recommended DLC with double or triple weightings if there was a full-DLC party. Then in the party preferences, replace the whole chatty/competitive/team player/lone wolf thing with a checklist like this:
Match me with:
Maps
_Default _Noble _Defiant _Anniversary

the underscores are checkboxes. It'd be possible to play just anniversary, noble/default, etc.

Players
_Default _Parties _Guests _Second Accounts

Second accounts would just be some sort of optional thing in your Armory with a yes or no option. But this way, you could potentially play with nothing but second accounters in parties, no guests, ONLY solo players (eliminating the need for something like a Mercenaries playlist), etc. All of them would be selected by default, and DLC would be checked as you purchased it.

EDIT: It should be noted the map checklist would only apply to Ranked/DLC-required playlists. Players checklist would affect everything, though.

TheOddOne

The only music I found to be consistently as good as Halo's is Legend of Zelda

Special mention to Panzer Dragoon, Mystical Ninja starring goeman (N64), Phanstasy star online 1 and mischief makers!
I say the Metal Gear series has had consistently good music too.

The fact that 343 has Tajeen heading up the sound production is a real megaton for me.

Risen

Just picture MLG in Halo 3 and Reach without Forge.

Ya, I love Forge.

I'm mostly trolling nerds... mostly. Truly though, I don't want half-assed features in Halo 4. Theater is busted in Reach without the ability to have at least 4 watching at the same time, and inability to switch to other's viewpoint. Forge is busted in Reach due to the grey and the frame rate issues.

Flesh them out... and if they don't fit, then limit the scope of something while providing other incredible features... like great maps that need little modification.

Overdoziz

Banned
I don't literally mean ranked competitive. Action Sack would cover games where you're outright against other teams like Rocket Hog Race or Hockey, and Minigames would just be general silliness, like aforementioned Jump Rope, etc.
You want to cut down the amount of playlist and make two minigame playlists lol

Fuchsdh

Sheep need to be directed back into the Slayer Double Big Team playlists where they belong, They've found somewhere where they can farm credits and kills safely and need to be guided home. They can play their Zombies and Grifball everytime its up that week but we need to start funneling these kids back into the real playlists so we can get high populations and decent matchmaking pools.

Deciding that you are the true Arbiter of what is Halo is pretty pathetic. How about *you* move on to another franchise if you're so bothered by offered choice?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm mostly trolling nerds... mostly. Truly though, I don't want half-assed features in Halo 4. Theater is busted in Reach without the ability to have at least 4 watching at the same time, and inability to switch to other's viewpoint. Forge is busted in Reach due to the grey and the frame rate issues.

Flesh them out... and if they don't fit, then limit the scope of something while providing other incredible features... like great maps that need little modification.
Agree with the theater but I think I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the grey. Sure I'd love the colors but it doesn't bother me when I'm playing. And yea framerate should be locked at 30

Risen

Agree with the theater but I think I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the grey. Sure I'd love the colors but it doesn't bother me when I'm playing. And yea framerate should be locked at 30

Frame rate is a bigger deal for sure, and it's a big deal on many default maps - not just forge. My favorite map in Reach is the MLG Pit remake. I think I like it better than the original...

Ramirez

If we get a Custom Games browser, then sure. If not, no thank you.

Why do people want to put popular playlists on a weekend rotation? Infection and Grifball are becoming a regular part of Halo, getting up to Slayer and CTF.

So sad.

If that Beaver Creek custom we played last night was the MLG variant, I don't see it lasting long the way it is. Scoping from under the cave areas brings the framerate to single digits, just like the top of Prisoner.

Deciding that you are the true Arbiter of what is Halo is pretty pathetic. How about *you* move on to another franchise if you're so bothered by offered choice?

Umm, Shots fired.

Directing people back towards "real" halo is a pretty good idea for the community, things like infection and griffball only serve to dilute the population of core playlists.

That stuff was kind of fun in the Halo 3 era, its got abused alot in reach and id like Halo 4 to focus on Core gameplay playlists.

Juices never claimed he is the true arbiter of what halo is
But well all know he is right, hire juices

How about *you* dont get aggressive to someone for wanting halo to go back to the core elements.

infection and all that crap worked perfectly fine as weekend playlists.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I would actually love to see some kind of "competitive minigames" playlist. The only reason I ever tread into Action Sack is to play Hogball and speedflag. All the other games are infinitely unfun to me.

Actually, what I want is some way to easily and reliably play fringe gametypes like that when I feel like it. A custom games browser could work out fine.

Ramirez

I can't see the appeal of Living Dead, it's like a bad game of SWAT where one team spawns with pistols and the others with Swords. Go play L4D.

I don't know how 343 would implement this, but if they ever did I would declare Halo 4 the best game in the series. Even if we started with guns that shot kittens and all the maps were gray on gray with team gray vs. team also gray.

Sheep need to be directed back into the Slayer Double Big Team playlists where they belong, They've found somewhere where they can farm credits and kills safely and need to be guided home.
I would rather take away the incentives for playing kill-farming games to begin with. For living dead, track kills as a zombie but don't track kills for survivors (just track survival time). Whoever has the highest survival time and/or most zombie kills at the end wins. Same thing for any game type really, take away stat tracking and medals for things that shouldn't matter in that game type anyways. And if credits return in Halo 4 give more difficult/competitive playlists higher payouts and reduce payouts in playlists that are prone to credit farming abuse.

I like Forge and how it worked in Halo 3, it was there but wasn't half the game maps.
100% agree. If Reach shipped with 10 great non-forge maps and those were supplemented by 2-4 community-made forge maps that were rotated in and out on a regular basis I think Forge complaints would be relatively few.

Unfortunately the game shipped with a map roster that featured Pinnacle, The Cage, Hemorrhage, Paradiso, and Asylum with Atom and Cliffhanger added shortly thereafter. Cyren is basically right: that was nearly half the maps in matchmaking. Even after the first DLC pack, something gray was going to come up more often than not.

I doubt Halo 4 will have the same low-map count issue so I suspect, even if Halo 4's Forge is a feature-for-feature duplicate of Reach's Forge, we won't have the problems with The Grey that we had in Reach. Let's focus our worry powers on things like basic gameplay elements and PERKS!

kylej

Banned
Well, I mean with how Bungie supported Objective gametypes over the years no wonder CTF is in decline. How many times was Team Flag live during Halo 3's lifespan? Two weekends out of three years?

Trim the fat, hire Juices.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Reach population is in decline, it is time to consolidate the playlist.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Frame rate is a bigger deal for sure, and it's a big deal on many default maps - not just forge. My favorite map in Reach is the MLG Pit remake. I think I like it better than the original...

I haven't played the original in a couple years. Soon I'll do Halo 3 again.

I can't see the appeal of Living Dead, it's like a bad game of SWAT where one team spawns with pistols and the others with Swords. Go play L4D.
Yep. But obviously people are not playing it for the "themed" maps. Especially it is pretty disappointed to see that the LD playlist has more player than TS sometimes.

I can understand the Grifball playlist somehow.

Thats the worst thing, matchmaking living dead is probably the worst combination of maps and gametypes that you can get in even Halo living dead. Why is it so popular? If you like living dead, why not play customs with far superior settings? Why not go play a game like Left 4 Dead which is going to be far superior to even customs?

I am inclined to think stats padding/ easy kills is why people play the current version of living dead.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying the playlist should 100% be cut, but if it isnt improved, why bother with it, its a playground for people who just want to stats pad. Like Juices said, if possible, funnel those players into something like Team Slayer.

Team Slayer
Team Objective
Big Team Battle
Free-For-All
Merchinary Slayer
Team Doubles
Team Grey
Custom Browser

Firefight stuff
Campaign stuff

Halo 4

Get rid of Team Grey, throw in Team Snipes and you have my vote.

Overdoziz

Banned
Team Slayer
Team Objective
Big Team Battle
Free-For-All
Merchinary Slayer
Team Doubles
Team Grey
Custom Browser

Firefight stuff
Campaign stuff