• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

kylej

Banned
walshy.png

Magni

Yeah imagine how good it would be if they put a better version of the map in the settings.

A possibility if Halo is in another event apparently, but they had to focus on Anni maps for this event, so Sanc got overlooked again.

I was pissed when Sanc was announced as a Forge remake instead of a real map :(

More Cyren, yay! And Pit CTF, Halo 3's best new map :D

Plasma Pistol kills prove extra badassery.

I was laughing out loud at that PP kill haha.

Fuchsdh

Ah, I think Krow or Xand mentioned you were unhappy with the port. Puts the effort that went into anniversary...into perspective.

Anniversary was a pretty good remake/port. But I just wish 343i had put more effort into it themselves--that probably would have pushed Halo 4 back a year, though.

Striker

That was a great game! Pretty intense. Beaver Creek is Reach's best map sadly.

A wild CyReN appeared on my stream.
It's one of the best maps in the entire series.

EDIT: There's other good maps, just not on BC's level. If it were in other Halo games without equipment splattered over the area it would've been its best one as well.

I was pissed when Sanc was announced as a Forge remake instead of a real map :(

More Cyren, yay! And Pit CTF, Halo 3's best new map :D

Yeah, but the community, including our own has made some great Sanctuary maps that look a lot better than almost any other Forge maps. Even 343 won't use Over's, maybe MLG will actually update their shitty version in the future.

Also, sad to see grey world after the game on the beautiful BC.

I'm saying/tried to say that a remake is much better than every map on disc.

Understandable, but there simply haven't been many maps since H2 that can match up with the better maps from the first two games in the series.

Havok

I'm saying/tried to say that a remake is much better than every map on disc.
It would have been more sad if they hadn't brought it over. I mean, that map was one of the best in 2, and would have been the best in 3 if it had been remade for that game. It's the map that's probably closest to 'timeless' status. What even comes close as far as 4v4 symmetric goes? Warlock, Middy, Sanctuary, and The Pit. That's about it.

Also probably sadder that the Battle Canyon weapon placement ruins such a great layout.

Ramirez

I really don't like Beaver Creek much with Reach's sandbox/base attributes. Much like Headlong, I feel it's wasted in Reach.

Magni

^ Exactly. I prefer Reach to 3 (in terms of MLG settings), but I wish we had better maps. Countdown and Zealot aren't bad, but compared to previous maps in the series...

Yeah, but the community, including our own has made some great Sanctuary maps that look a lot better than almost any other Forge maps. Even 343 won't use Over's, maybe MLG will actually update their shitty version in the future.

Also, sad to see grey world after the game on the beautiful BC.

Understandable, but there simply haven't been many maps since H2 that can match up with the better maps from the first two games in the series.

Yeah, I really like (in terms of gameplay) the maps the MLG community has come up with, especially the Pit. I'm hoping the Halo 4 map designers are taking a look at what makes these maps work competitively (as well as LANning Halo 2 religiously).

edit: loving this series, and the atmosphere! This is fucking awesome

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really don't like Beaver Creek much with Reach's sandbox/base attributes. Much like Headlong, I feel it's wasted in Reach.

Who here enjoys Hang 'Em High? It may have been a great map in CE, but I can't stand it in Reach. The middle area is pointless to go in, as there are barely any power weapons and you'll get picked off almost immediately. I'm not much for Beaver Creek either, although it's still better than the majority of Reach's maps. I do like Headlong quite a bit though.

Fuchsdh

Ok, after watching BC and The Pit, I can say watching competitive Halo does little for me. Say what you will about SC2, I just enjoy knowing what's going on at all times.

Also, I'd prefer more than four weapons, but I guess I'm in the minority on that.

Havok

Who here enjoys Hang 'Em High? It may have been a great map in CE, but I can't stand it in Reach. The middle area is pointless to go in, as there are barely any power weapons and you'll get picked off almost immediately.
Hang 'em High only really worked with CE's gameplay, and while Tombstone helped improve the geometry by allowing more movement from bottom to top and making the bases work with asymmetric gametypes by switching them, it never really meshed well with the mechanics in Halo 2.

Then the Reach remake tossed the improvements out the window on top of it not really working with Reach mechanics. Good stuff.

edit: Countdown looks totally boring even when pros play it. Nice to know that its quality doesn't scale up with skill.

Fuchsdh

Hang 'em High only really worked with CE's gameplay, and while Tombstone helped improve the geometry by allowing more movement from bottom to top and making the bases work with asymmetric gametypes by switching them, it never really meshed well with the mechanics in Halo 2.

Then the Reach remake tossed the improvements out the window on top of it not really working with Reach mechanics. Good stuff.

I think that the update works better by offering some reasons to go to the sides, and fixing some issues. I freely admit that when I played it in CE I just camped in the shotgun spawns, running back and forth down the corridor to pick people off. While some of the added corridors in High Noon are pointless the extra two on the high base do lessen that strategy, and the grav lift means you don't have the slaughterfest of people pinned underneath shotgun spawn trying to get to the damn ramp.

Fracas

#fuckonami
This is a little random, but has HaloGAF/all of NeoGAF ever had a Halo tournament? Or even a GAF-wide game tournament with hundreds of people spanning several weeks with 10+ games? A GAFlympics could be absolutely incredible.

At the very least, we should have one at some point. Damn, that sounds sweet.

Magni

I don't remember the last time I saw such an awesome series. Close the whole way through, every game, Instinct almost making it back on Sanc', and then Classic almost making it back just now on Countdown, wow just wow

Overdoziz

Banned
edit: Countdown looks totally boring even when pros play it. Nice to know that its quality doesn't scale up with skill.
Wait until you see Penance. :)

Countdown only really slows down near the end if it's close, same goes for Pit. Makes for some tense final moments. Penance is slow (much slower than what we just saw in the end) throughout the entire match.

This is a little random, but has HaloGAF/all of NeoGAF ever had a Halo tournament? Or even a GAF-wide game tournament with hundreds of people spanning several weeks with 10+ games? A GAFlympics could be absolutely incredible.

At the very least, we should have one at some point. Damn, that sounds sweet.
Hitmonchan107 and Duncan organized the Halo Community tournament.

Magni

Wait until you see Penance. :)

Countdown only really slows down near the end if it's close, same goes for Pit. Makes for some tense final moments. Penance is slow (much slower than what we just saw in the end) throughout the entire match.

That Instinct game on Penance at the Red Bull LAN was so funny to watch, that one plasma grenade TK at top teleport was hilarious. But yeah, soooo slow. Pit TS is Quake compared to it.

Havok

I think that the update works better by offering some reasons to go to the sides, and fixing some issues. I freely admit that when I played it in CE I just camped in the shotgun spawns, running back and forth down the corridor to pick people off. While some of the added corridors in High Noon are pointless the extra two on the high base do lessen that strategy, and the grav lift means you don't have the slaughterfest of people pinned underneath shotgun spawn trying to get to the damn ramp.
I should have been more clear, I was talking specifically about the "Hang 'em High" variant. I think nearly all of the geometry changes that CA did for the updated versions are great - things like that back corner hallway on Breakneck are very smart additions. All the more disappointing that the weapon placements weren't up to par for most of them.

Not really related, but I really think that a lot of maps from 3 and Reach could use the 'improved remake' treatment. Integrating the MLG changes to the Pit and fixing the few issues that map has could elevate it even higher, and maps like Zealot and Anchor 9 really only need a few major changes to be great. That's really what made Beaver Creek what it is, fixing the problems from Battle Creek and moving it forward without drastically changing it. Unfortunately, sometimes you end up with a Blackout or a Last Resort.

Fracas

#fuckonami
This time I want to be on the GAF team. I can statistically show that I am better at sniping than 87% of HaloGAF. :p

If we do one, I'd suggest borrowing the Bungie Day concept and do "HaloGAF versus the World".

I'd be down, although I have no steaks to donate.

Top Bottom