• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Frank you got beef?! Bring da ruckus!

8vs6M.jpg

Honda Ruckus, brung.

A guy just told me he can't get into matchmaking, lobby fills up then restarts the search. Anyone else having that problem, or is his connection just messing up?

Ah ok, it is everywhere. Damn, I wanted to play some Halo today. I wonder is Halo 3 is working properly.
Let's find out!

:( Same problem in 3!

Kibbles

Just started listening to the podcast, interesting how they note the Chief scenes are showing off the engine. So is this going to be another time when the Campaign doesn't look that good and it's just an area to show off all the effects and stuff the can pull off in the engine?

Stinkles

Just started listening to the podcast, interesting how they note the Chief scenes are showing off the engine. So is this going to be another time when the Campaign doesn't look that good and it's just an area to show off all the effects and stuff the can pull off in the engine?

What are you talking about? We havent made any custom scenes or locations. Apart from cinematics, which are all in engine, we are not showing anything that isn't straight out of the game engine.

neoism

I don't understand why the Bubble Shield is out but not Sprint. :(

Why?

because I love sprint. because your a human, a super human...but you can't run...lol
because Reach is an awesome halo game, and just like I wanted 343 to take the awesome things from Reach and put them in 4... also one of the reasons I love Reach is the realism..a super solider spartan that can't run lol

TCKaos

Did the stat tracking do something to the Halo 3 servers? I've been in the Team Slayer lobby forever now. I've counted over a dozen times where we've had eight players and the search was restarted.

EDIT: Well I guess the servers are a tad bit fucked. Back to SSFIVAE:2012

Stinkles

because I love sprint. because your a human, a super human...but you can't run...lol
because Reach is an awesome halo game, and just like I wanted 343 to take the awesome things from Reach and put them in 4... also one of the reasons I love Reach is the realism..a super solider spartan that can't run lol

Chief can't open jars or climb ladders either.

Overdoziz

Banned
Gameplay > 'realism'

Ramirez

It should feel like you're running all the time, shouldn't need a button press.

Sprint is lame...BUT, out all of the things they could bring over, it's the one that I hate the least. At least I don't have to endure drop shields for half a year in TO in 4...

Kibbles

What are you talking about? We havent made any custom scenes or locations. Apart from cinematics, which are all in engine, we are not showing anything that isn't straight out of the game engine.

I was just trying to make sure what we are seeing is how the game will look, because it just seems like the Chief scenes have been described as "showing off the engine" which is what they did with the E3 2006 Halo 3 Demo and Halo Reach cutscene at the VGAs, both of which (more so the Halo 3 trailer) looked better than the actual game. I wasn't as worried considering our look at Halo 4 is closer to release but I just wanted to be sure and not get excited for something that won't be. Those Master Chief scenes also looked quite a bit better than the multiplayer portions that were shown in the ViDoc.

CyReN

I'm open to the idea of Sprint as long as it isn't a copy and paste from Reach. I don't know how they can innovate it though, but again I'm a slob.

and Spartan could always "run", Sprint is different though.

Spasm

So uh... Any of these back office changes affecting co-op/ff as well? Today marks the first day in history I can play with my buddy clear across the country, and both of us are lag free.

Stinkles

I was just trying to make sure what we are seeing is how the game will look, because it just seems like the Chief scenes have been described as "showing off the engine" which is what they did with the E3 2006 Halo 3 Demo and Halo Reach cutscene at the VGAs, both of which (more so the Halo 3 trailer) looked better than the actual game. I wasn't as worried considering our look at Halo 4 is closer to release but I just wanted to be sure and not get excited for something that won't be. Those Master Chief scenes also looked quite a bit better than the multiplayer portions that were shown in the ViDoc.

We haven't done any custom scenes outside of cinematics (those obviously have loads of tailored content as you would expect).

One of these days, you'll be able to see and judge based on more than a couple blurry campaign locations.

How many sleeps!?

MrBig

Oh I take it the patch is out?

I am also struggling for HD space, BF3 is a pretty big offender for eating it up.

Not yet, and its probably going to be a few more weeks. They have to fix all the shit they found out broke when they pushed out the PS3 and PC patch, and then push it through MS cert. The PS3 patch is a gig so 360 should be the same, and I've got 91mb left

I should probably play halo today or tomorrow so that I can get some updated stats preserved on bnet before the cutoff :)

senador

Banned
I want the sprint. I don't want to go fast all the time. I want to move at a decent speed and be able to go faster in short bursts. If I don't have any option to move faster via sprint, I feel claustrophobic being tied to a speed. It might sound lame but moving sprint speeds all the time makes me dizzy.

As long as they balance melees and add a delay on melee coming out of sprint, I see no problem. I also don't think it means we have to move at slow speeds because there is sprint.

As for the "sprint's not fair because people can run away", argument, I personally feel that one is just dumb. This isn't see-first-shoot-first-win-first. Give chase, use teamwork, etc. It seems as if some people here think their target should stop moving the instant they seem them.

I want the sprint. I don't want to go fast all the time. I want to move at a decent speed and be able to go faster in short bursts. If I don't have any option to move faster via sprint, I feel claustrophobic being tied to a speed. It might sound lame but moving sprint speeds all the time makes me dizzy.

As long as they balance melees and add a delay on melee coming out of sprint, I see no problem. I also don't think it means we have to move at slow speeds because there is sprint.

As for the "sprint's not fair because people can run away", argument, I personally feel that one is just dumb. This isn't see-first-shoot-first-win-first. Give chase, use teamwork, etc. It seems as if some people here think their target should stop moving the instant they seem them.
You used to be able to clean up someone running away by throwing a grenade ahead of them, Sprint in Reach took that away. I think grenades were beefed up so much because Sprint, and to an extent, Jetpack, diminished their usefulness in the sandbox.

I think too many Halo fans just want Halo 2 reskinned. Don't get me wrong, I love Halo 2 as much as anybody and it's definitely the best game in the series. But, that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to add new things to the game. Reach tried, and while they were good ideas for the most part, they weren't executed properly. Sprint was one of the additions that worked for the most part, I just wish they didn't have to nerf the normal movement to make sprint seem faster.

Also, this may have been discussed before, but what if they added an ability that gave you a quick burst? Like you could use it to go in any direction. Forward, sideways, backwards, up, or down. I think that would be cool. Obviously they would have to balance it so you can't spam it. Maybe like a 45 or 60 second recharge time would work.

Overdoziz

Banned
Also, this may have been discussed before, but what if they added an ability that gave you a quick burst? Like you could use it to go in any direction. Forward, sideways, backwards, up, or down. I think that would be cool. Obviously they would have to balance it so you can't spam it. Maybe like a 45 or 60 second recharge time would work.
Evade.

That was extreme, but I hear the "run away" argument a lot around here, and I just don't think its valid.
How is it not valid? People can run away and avoid death easier that way. Chasing isn't option as a) you can't shoot while sprinting and b) chasing isn't a good tactic anyway. And "use teamwork" could be an argument for anything. MLG no sprint/no bloom is the only Reach I can enjoy these days.

Going back and playing Halo 3 really makes me excited to play 4. It really does look very inspired by 3 in the "Making of..." video, and much more like a sequel to 3 than Reach.

That was extreme, but I hear the "run away" argument a lot around here, and I just don't think its valid.
I mean it's not really an issue of validity. It's annoying to have people run from a fight, and Sprint definitely facilitates that. It's about preference. You can run from fights in games without Sprint, but there's much less leeway.

senador

Banned
How is it not valid? People can run away and avoid death easier that way. Chasing isn't option as a) you can't shoot while sprinting and b) chasing isn't a good tactic anyway. And "use teamwork" could be an argument for anything. MLG no sprint/no bloom is the only Reach I can enjoy these days.

They could get away without sprint too. So what if they can get away. Are you locked in battle once you start? I don't think I'll ever see the other side of this argument as it just feels lazy to me. "We are fighting, you can't leave, I should get the kill!" Is really what goes through my head whenever this discussion comes up.

I feel that sprint is a necessary feature in any online game these days and that it can play just fine if balanced and worked properly (short bursts, delay before shooing or melee, longer recharge time, maybe no shield recharge while sprinting).

I mean it's not really an issue of validity. It's annoying to have people run from a fight, and Sprint definitely facilitates that. It's about preference. You can run from fights in games without Sprint, but there's much less leeway.

Right. I guess that's what I am getting at. It can be an annoyance for the person doing the shooting. But so can any time you don't get a kill. I do not feel its takes away from the game in the manner that AL or jet pack does.

Overdoziz

Banned
They could get away without sprint too. So what if they can get away. Are you locked in battle once you start? I don't think I'll ever see the other side of this argument as it just feels lazy to me. "We are fighting, you can't leave, I should get the kill!" Is really what goes through my head whenever this discussion comes up.
Keyword: Easier. It makes it too easy.

Without sprint you have to rely more on smart movement to get away than speed.

Top Bottom