• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Fuchsdh

Wouldn't mind trying out this scheme myself as i play a lot of Battlefield 3 and moving beetween games is somewhat jarring at times... Though Halo's controls are... dunno, special. After a long break, I start Halo CEA, pick up the controller and continue playing as if i hadn't kept any break (no matter whether the controls are set to BJ or Default). Same with any other Halo really (except Reach, AAs mess things up, but i don't use them, no issues).

For the love of [inser deity or whatever here], let us at least choose the color or at very least change the default to amber or something. Blue HUD against blue sky..., please not this shit again. ODST had so good HUD, mainly due to its amber color.

Ironically, the amber color wasn't that great due to the desaturated, dusty color palette ODST had though.

One request for Halo 4: A control scheme where zoom is in LT. You know, to emulate ADS... of course you would be still knocked from zoom as easily as ever, holding down LT wouldn't help.
Or even better, finally fully customizable controls...

MXUdn.gif

Damnit, Reach soured me big time, but Halo 4 has pushed my Hype machine past the ME3 spoiler thread.

I've been lurking for a while trying to stay caught up on actual game-related stuff, but what've I missed?

You haven't missed a thing SP wise. There was the BR vidoc not sure if you missed that or not. It is also completely possible that I have missed something.

Random guitar riffs/explosions/13 year old racist players/convoluted stories/more explosions

Did I mention explosions?

To be fair, I'd love if Halo took at page out of COD's book for frequent DLC releases, good DLC implementation, and releasing patches.

Halo's DLC schedules and implementation still feel like it's stuck in 2005.

Fracas

#fuckonami
To be fair, I'd love if Halo took at page out of COD's book for frequent DLC releases, good DLC implementation, and releasing patches.
Eh, true. I'll give you that.

Well we would need scripted sequences every 5 minutes to keep our attention while playing campaign. And don't forget vehicles you can't actually drive, those are really important too!
Lol at every single vehicle sequence in a CoD. I remember one near the end of MW2 where you're trying to drive a jeep into an airplane. It's impossible to miss no matter where you turn the wheel. Horrible.

I thought Proelite was a big Halo fan. I remember him/her posting a lot in the Halo 3 thread. Or maybe I'm wrong. I dunno. I'm getting old.
He may have been fake trolling, I'm not really sure.

You don't need alot of DLC if the maps you ship don't suck. Halo CE and Halo 2 had some ICONIC maps that came on the disk.

You don't need alot of DLC if the maps you ship don't suck. Halo CE and Halo 2 had some ICONIC maps that came on the disk.

Certainly it's easier to have a lack of DLC if the disc maps were good, but some of the Halo 2's best maps (and some of the best maps in series) were DLC maps.

In this day and age, for a AAA multiplayer game, you really do need frequent and well implemented DLC, and Halo has certainly not been up to speed on that. Hopefully it changes with Halo 4. (The implementation is really main the concern, because it's awful. Maps that you pay money for need to come up in matchmaking.)

So, all we got was the cover and it whipped up that kind of trolling frenzy in gaming? Awesome.

Yep.

I didn't know that people could talk about concept art of a hologram's boobs all day, but I was severely mistaken.

I want Halo 4 to have DLC speed like the Gears series. Seems like they're dropping map packs every month or two.

Thats because they brought out a season pass, The first map pack was already on the disc and i think part of the second map pack was and they had an obligation to try and keep the community "active" which it is far from.

Gears of war is great as a SP game but once its taken into MP it falls apart plagued by broken weapons and a skill gap that completely alienates new players and the only people you find online now are the hardcore fans.

Gears map also require a lost less work than halo maps, its essentially draw a square some obstacles in that square and multiple chest high walls, nice texture and ship it.

Thats because they brought out a season pass, The first map pack was already on the disc and i think part of the second map pack was and they had an obligation to try and keep the community "active" which it is far from.

Gears of war is great as a SP game but once its taken into MP it falls apart plagued by broken weapons and a skill gap that completely alienates new players and the only people you find online now are the hardcore fans.

Gears map also require a lost less work than halo maps, its essentially draw a square some obstacles in that square and multiple chest high walls, nice texture and ship it.

Drawing some bold conclusions there.

Retro

Yeah, um, before anyone decides to to add a punch line to this by finding some creepy DeviantArt "Unrealistically inflated breasts" fan 'art'... let me assure you, that's some troubled water you do not want to cross, my friends.
Furry Cortana, how does that even work?

daedalius

You may be over-simplifying this a bit...

FyreWulff

Can you consider something iconic right when it comes out?

DLC post release is great because it gives us more variety and more spaces to use. You can't fit 10 maps for each gametype on the disc and don't have the manpower to do it. DLC also has the massive advantage of being developed against a non-moving target engine, which is why it tends to look better than disc maps.

You also have the hindsight of actual play statistics and player behavior. The final Halo 2 maps were hardened against superbouncing and people getting through walls, which the disc maps and first DLC maps were unfortunately unable to be adapted to. Halo 3's later maps omitted the cut Equipment and did not account for them being there, and were also hardened against known engine bugs like the latter Halo 2 maps. Reach's DLC had better uses of low-grav than the disc maps, because they were able to learn what went wrong with Zealot's use of it.

And let us not ignore Foundry and Sandbox, which essentially relaunched Halo 3 as it were with new community content, which was an adaptation to how the community used the game. They never expected Forge to be used to the extent that it was at launch.

* rest of post bitching about the poor Reach post-launch support snipped out*

Can you consider something iconic right when it comes out?

DLC post release is great because it gives us more variety and more spaces to use. You can't fit 10 maps for each gametype on the disc and don't have the manpower to do it. DLC also has the massive advantage of being developed against a non-moving target engine, which is why it tends to look better than disc maps.

You also have the hindsight of actual play statistics and player behavior. The final Halo 2 maps were hardened against superbouncing and people getting through walls, which the disc maps and first DLC maps were unfortunately unable to be adapted to. Halo 3's later maps omitted the cut Equipment and did not account for them being there, and were also hardened against known engine bugs like the latter Halo 2 maps. Reach's DLC had better uses of low-grav than the disc maps, because they were able to learn what went wrong with Zealot's use of it.

And let us not ignore Foundry and Sandbox, which essentially relaunched Halo 3 as it were with new community content, which was an adaptation to how the community used the game. They never expected Forge to be used to the extent that it was at launch.

* rest of post bitching about the poor Reach post-launch support snipped out*

I'm not saying you don't need DLC, I'm saying it doesn't need to come out every month. I agree maps like terminal, turf, relic, warlock, and elongation were incredible.

But maps like Blood Gulch? Beaver Creek, Lockout, Ascension, Zanzibar, Colossus, Burial Mounds, Headlong? Halo 2 was definitely the peak in maps (imo at least) and I think Halo 3 had okay maps, but nothing that even came close to Halo 2.

Maybe but it stands to reason that Jumping,vehicles AA and grav lifts + forge add a lot more to map development time than beast mode and horde do since beast is essentially reverse horde mode.

Without any insider information I don't see how you can declare that Halo maps take a lot more development time and resources than Gears maps. Just based off an general impressional assumption, I would say that having a map support competitive, horde, and beast seems like a lot more work, both in design and coding, than just competitive MP, even if that competitive MP is more complex.

That's not really the point though. They need a planned out DLC plan and be able to deliver on it. Don't do shit like release a pack in March (Defiant) and then have no DLC until December. Halo 3 was even worse with a full year between Legendary and Mythic 1. And for the love of god, you have to code your matchmaking algorithms to actually give DLC owners the chance to play the maps they paid for.

note: DICE/EA is making the same mistake right now. They released their first DLC in December after the late October release. They promised since well before release a consistent and "agressive" DLC plan, and now the second DLC isn't coming out until June, and it's not even a DLC that caters to their core fanbase.

I'm not saying you don't need DLC, I'm saying it doesn't need to come out every month. I agree maps like terminal, turf, relic, warlock, and elongation were incredible.

But maps like Blood Gulch? Beaver Creek, Lockout, Ascension, Zanzibar, Colossus, Burial Mounds, Headlong? Halo 2 was definitely the peak in maps (imo at least) and I think Halo 3 had okay maps, but nothing that even came close to Halo 2.

Yeah I'm not saying you need some fat DLC pack every month, but a consistent and resonably frequent release of new content.

Without any insider information I don't see how you can declare that Halo maps take a lot more development time and resources than Gears maps. Just based off an general impressional assumption, I would say that having a map support competitive, horde, and beast seems like a lot more work, both in design and coding, than just competitive MP, even if that competitive MP is more complex.

Entirely agree this was just based on what iv seen from the gears maps and how "simple" i perceive them in comparison to halo maps

That's not really the point though. They need a planned out DLC plan and be able to deliver on it. Don't do shit like release a pack in March (Defiant) and then have no DLC until December. Halo 3 was even worse with a full year between Legendary and Mythic 1. And for the love of god, you have to code your matchmaking algorithms to actually give DLC owners the chance to play the maps they paid for.

Yeah I'm not saying you need some fat DLC pack every month, but a consistent and resonably frequent release of new content.

I think its more to do with the ratio of actual paying customers than anything else, I dont think many players even buy the maps alot of people i know dont sadly. Its either wait 10+ mins to find people with the maps or play without

Striker

Stick to the usual from the series. Say about 11-12 MP maps from the get-go, and then release three map packs of five maps per pack about five or so months apart. Sets it the last map pack coming out around December-January of the next year.

FyreWulff

Roughly every 3 months, like Halo 3 and Reach started out with, is about what I'd want. Every month would be overkill.

But you can't help but be annoyed when the other shooters are getting constant DLC releases while you just sit around waiting for MS to figure out what game they can tie in Halo's next DLC release with. There's some Jekyll and Hyde shit going on when the other MS published shooter, Gears, is getting constant DLC releases out of the gate, even counting the on-disc DLC maps. And technically, MS is paying for the CoD content too, with their timed exclusivity.

Then you add the second kneecapping of splitting the userbase with the Anniversary disc and not releasing Halo: Reach: Mythic, and it's just facepalms all around.

Fracas

#fuckonami
An essential skill, my friend.

I don't understand the thought process of "Hey, this guy doesn't appreciate me going into a thread of a game I don't like and bashing it. He must be a fanboy because he enjoys people practicing common courtesy!"
Do people not realise that HaloGAF criticizes Halo more than just about any group?

But yeah, I'm staying out of it.

TheOddOne

HALO 4 Artist Unveils Creative Workflow for Environments
David Lesperance is a new instructor for the Gnomon Workshop DVD’s. Today he has released his latest work labeled “Environment Sculpting”. In the DVD he takes you through different programs and showcases his workflow on how to create stunning game environments. He has worked on titles such as Mortal Kombat vs. D.C. Universe, Tony Hawk: Ride and most recently Halo 4 which has yet to be released. Below you can see some screenshots showing off some of the different programs he is using to create Halo 4 environments. All of the screens below are from Halo 4.
Real?

To be honest, I will happily take a seasons pass for Halo 4 just based on the fact that is promises DLC will actually be released on a set schedule.

Top Bottom