• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Because Bungie's new policy of cut early, cut often is retarded. Yes the game is more polished than the other Halo games, but it is still a turd. Bungie considers Halo 2 an unpolished nightmare, even though it's largely considered the best in the series.

Don't forget, many people were outraged at the end of Halo 2 because of its campaign's abrupt end. This is a result of running out of time which is something Bungie doesn't want to happen again

Arnie

Oh well.. Less then a year until we never again have to:
remember_reach_by_shadowstar117-d32fj5n.png

I've already repressed it to the deepest recesses of my mind.

Speaking of the DMR, the only way I'd be happy with it's presence in both Singleplayer and Multiplayer is if it's a sparse power weapon, rather than an all powerful, rangeless weapon of mass donging.

I'm still baffled it managed to make the cut in Reach. It's just a mini sniper.

TheOddOne

To be fair to Bungie, their marketing was always top notch. I loved "Remember Reach" and the like; hopefully Halo 4 gets a similar treatment.
MS handled marketing :p

About the other comment you made above, 343 is not Bungie though. So I guess I can be a little hyped.

Arnie

To be fair Reach's multiplayer is a lot better with the Title Update. I can almost look past bloom.

I've tried to go back time and time again, but there are far too many fun sapping problems that I just can't live with. It feels like I'm playing Halo at half speed, for one.

It made Halo 4 look like Halo on crack as a result. And that made me happy.

Also, all this time, I thought Tojima was the composer. I could have swore someone asked him in an interview how he felt about taking over for Marty and if he thought he could match the score...

So, who did the Halo Fest trailer music?

I could have swore the exact same thing.... There wasn't a composer change or anything was there?

I've tried to go back time and time again, but there are far too many fun sapping problems that I just can't live with. It feels like I'm playing Halo at half speed, for one.

It made Halo 4 look like Halo 2 on crack as a result. And that made me really happy.

Fixed.

Tojima is audio director. Composer is someone else.

I know you can't legally reveal who it is, but can you tell us his background, is he known/unknown? Is his backgrounds movies or/and has he worked on other games?

Also he is doing a damn fine job, if I say so myself.

TheOddOne

Because Bungie's new policy of cut early, cut often is retarded. Yes the game is more polished than the other Halo games, but it is still a turd. Bungie considers Halo 2 an unpolished nightmare, even though it's largely considered the best in the series.
This has to be some kind of joke, right? I... just... what.

That was a great update. Juicy enough morsels to satisfy me for a little while. Can't wait to see what's in store with the new sandbox.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
btw - if any of you guys get the chance, go see Radiohead on their current tour. Last night was glorious.

Halo 2's campaign was ass coming from something as platform defining as CE's. Yeah yeah expanding the universe seeing into the Covenant's side yada yada yada, game felt far more railroaded and encounters were bland as a result.

But damn if that MP wasn't so worth it.

FyreWulff

This has to be some kind of joke, right? I... just... what.

The game had it's third act cut off. Joe Staten added all the facial animation in the last 24 hours of development, and only because he was allowed into the code repo to do it (at that point, the game had been locked down for cert. He mentions this in the H2 Legendary commentary). The development destroyed people's personal lives and relationships. They basically spent the game in eternal crunch.

They make it well known that they do not view how they made Halo 2 favorably. And I can see how, from a Bungie employee's perspective, how it'd color your opinion of the final game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i didnt see this discussed yet, but maybe i missed it in my skimming to update myself on the thread. apologies if so

Is Jen Taylor voicing Cortana? Who were the woman and man in the motion capture part of the Halo 4 video? –Jedi Otter

The man and woman in the video were incredibly talented actors. Their roles in Halo 4 are pivotal and essential to the story we’re telling, but we’ll talk more about those and other actors in the future. I think Halo fans will be calm and happy about our casting, including MP V/O, but we’re not revealing more at this time.

Jen Taylor? we wasnt that confirmed? i'm about 95% confident she'll return, especially in light of her being in last years trailer, but still. a tad bit worrying. re-assure me gaf.

TheOddOne

The game had it's third act cut off. Joe Staten added all the facial animation in the last 24 hours of development, and only because he was allowed into the code repo to do it (at that point, the game had been locked down for cert. He mentions this in the H2 Legendary commentary). The development destroyed people's personal lives and relationships. They basically spent the game in eternal crunch.

They make it well known that they do not view how they made Halo 2 favorably.
I knew that Halo 2 development took it's toll on Bungie, but did know it went that far.

Danis

Neo Member
Not to mention the E3 Demo of the "Earth City" was a complete and total fabrication. They literally only had that level, and it was not even a level they intended on putting in the game. They showed up at E3 with that, then came back to work the next week with a release date and no game. "Okay, now what do we do?". Halo 2's total development time was something like 7-8 months.

Halo 2's campaign was ass coming from something as platform defining as CE's. Yeah yeah expanding the universe seeing into the Covenant's side yada yada yada, game felt far more railroaded and encounters were bland as a result.

But damn if that MP wasn't so worth it.

Interior combat (end of High Charity, Sacred Icon, The Great Journey) was a step up from CE's, though. My humble opinion.

Tawpgun

Do we have a confirmation Jen Taylor and Steven Downes are doing Cortana and Chief?

I know that Steve isn't a voice actor by trade... and they seem to want to give Chief a bigger place in the story. Seems like he's going to have more lines.

Louis Wu

'largely'? By who? You and your friends?

I'd say the Campaign is generally considered the weakest in the Halo series, and while the multiplayer was hugely popular in its time, a lot of that popularity came from the fact that there was nothing on its level. It was plagued with bugs and glitches that made Matchmaking a quagmire for many players.

I'd say that Halo 3 was more popular, had better netcode, and fewer bugs. Reach had better netcode still (though it had some game changers that rubbed parts of the community the wrong way - certainly a majority of vocal HaloGAF).

By any reasonable measure (reviews, online populations, etc) Halo 2 was not as 'good' as its later brethren. (That said, it was groundbreaking, and deserves a special place in history for that fact alone.)

Well, to be fair, Halo 2 was an unpolished nightmare. The game was up to its neck in glitches and exploits. Now, whether or not that impacted your enjoyment of the game is up to you.
Well said. I absolutely adored playing custom games with friends, but online was a completely different story. It was my first foray into online gaming and I was hopelessly outclassed by foul-mouthed children who knew every trick/glitch of the game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Interior combat (end of High Charity, Sacred Icon, The Great Journey) was a step up from CE's, though. My humble opinion.

yup. memorable locations and probably the longest campaign too make halo 2 awesome despite its short comings imo

Karl2177

They make it well known that they do not view how they made Halo 2 favorably. And I can see how, from a Bungie employee's perspective, how it'd color your opinion of the final game.
But the thing I took out of this is that they put their heart into it. Halo 2 broke their heart, and instead they took "Well, let's not get our heart broken again" instead of "Well, let's try again". Halo 3 and ODST feel more like the correct way of looking at it, but with Reach it seemed like urk was mentioning cut after cut in the weekly updates, and the cut early cut often motto became the main focus.

End of High Charity? Ehh. The other 2? I fully agree. And the urban combat in Outskirts was sooo good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Do we have a confirmation Jen Taylor and Steven Downes are doing Cortana and Chief?

I know that Steve isn't a voice actor by trade... and they seem to want to give Chief a bigger place in the story. Seems like he's going to have more lines.

Don't expect Chief to suddenly start long monologues. His story will be defined by circumstances and events.

Don't expect Chief to suddenly start long monologues. His story will be defined by circumstances and events.

No, no, no...

Halo 4 should start with the chief in a recliner, with a pipe and an abstract robe.

Cue fireplace, gentle music and he mutters the lines "now children, let me tell you a story"...

That's a good thing IMO.

Fair enough, interiors in general were a weakpoint for CE. Though interior combat is something I got from just about every other FPS leading up to Halo, which is why it doesn't resonate with me strongly within Halo. 2 having the lamest larger scale outdoor sequences makes it feel the least Halo to me as a result.

Risen

By any reasonable measure (reviews, online populations, etc) Halo 2 was not as 'good' as its later brethren. (That said, it was groundbreaking, and deserves a special place in history for that fact alone.)

Color me one of the unreasonable: ranking of favorite Halo's from best to worst (only including main games)

Halo CE/H2 Tied at the top
Halo 3
Reach

If we're talking overall enjoyment and combining multiplayer and campaign in the comparison.

My favorite campaign individually would be tied between H3 and CE.

I'm trying not to think of Halo 4 as an updated Halo 2/3. I'm going into this expecting a different experience. The good news is that this means the best case scenario is that the entertainment level surpasses my favorite Halo games. Reach could've done this, but the choices the creators of that game made were, in some very obvious cases, antithetical to fun.

Hoping for a rebooted Halo 2/3/CE seems like a recipe for disappointment. Not because 343 can't create an amazing Halo game, but rather because Halo 4 is a different game and will inevitably NOT be Halo 2/3/CE. I expect to play Halo, just not the same Halo I've already played.

/end preachy bullshit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frankie, if we get any say in the Special Edition or Legendary Edition for Halo 4, please include a disc-based soundtrack at the very least. That would be awesome.

Heck, I'd love the Legendary to have a disc-based OST and a full sized art book at least.

wwm0nkey

Frankie, if we get any say in the Special Edition or Legendary Edition for Halo 4, please include a disc-based soundtrack at the very least. That would be awesome.

Heck, I'd love the Legendary to have a disc-based OST and a full sized art book at least.

Agreed, screw statues and helmets, give me cool stuff to look at and listen to.

Also a steel case would be nice too.

kylej

Banned

Rachel Starr to voice Jen Taylor.

JonCha

It made Halo 4 look like Halo on crack as a result. And that made me happy.

I agree. The only playlist I'm playing right now is Super Slayer, to be honest.

It still has visually boring maps. The only maps I like are the ports or remakes, which says a lot about the quality of maps.

Movement speed doesn't bother me, to be honest. I don't think it's the root cause of why Reach feels so slow.

Re: bulletin. I like the part where they commented on the 'not-so-successful' additions in the games.

Falagard

Halo 2's multiplayer may not have been as technically sophisticated as Halo 3 or Reach (netcode, graphics, etc), but I believe the gameplay design was the purest of the Halo games, and the map design was sublime.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
'largely'? By who? You and your friends?

I'd say the Campaign is generally considered the weakest in the Halo series, and while the multiplayer was hugely popular in its time, a lot of that popularity came from the fact that there was nothing on its level. It was plagued with bugs and glitches that made Matchmaking a quagmire for many players.

I'd say that Halo 3 was more popular, had better netcode, and fewer bugs. Reach had better netcode still (though it had some game changers that rubbed parts of the community the wrong way - certainly a majority of vocal HaloGAF).

STOP MAKING SENSE. REACH SUCKS AND HALO 2 IS THE BEST AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT AND I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS.

GhaleonEB

Chief has always been a man of action, not words. Two of my favorite moments in the series: when the Chief grabs a pistol and plants it under the Arbiter's jaw at the start of Halo 3, and when the Arbiter heads into High Charity looking for the Chief at the end of Cortana. The two of them had quite the bromance going in that game, and it's nearly all handled through action rather than exposition. Sounds like 343 is going to expand on the Chief's character that way, which is fitting.

Top Bottom