• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Here's a forge world one I made really quickly, what do you think? :p

womens%20sport%20grey%20t%20shirt.png

I'll take 3. Do you have XXXXXXXXXXL?

Blueblur1

yup. memorable locations and probably the longest campaign too make halo 2 awesome despite its short comings imo

I feel the same way. Halo 2 holds a special place in my heart because the variety of locales in the campaign and what I feel are the best collection of Halo MP maps to ever exist. (Emphasis on "collection"; they're not all winners but its a good batch overall).

'largely'? By who? You and your friends?

I'd say the Campaign is generally considered the weakest in the Halo series, and while the multiplayer was hugely popular in its time, a lot of that popularity came from the fact that there was nothing on its level. It was plagued with bugs and glitches that made Matchmaking a quagmire for many players.

I'd say that Halo 3 was more popular, had better netcode, and fewer bugs. Reach had better netcode still (though it had some game changers that rubbed parts of the community the wrong way - certainly a majority of vocal HaloGAF).

By any reasonable measure (reviews, online populations, etc) Halo 2 was not as 'good' as its later brethren. (That said, it was groundbreaking, and deserves a special place in history for that fact alone.)

Different strokes for different folks and all that stuff.

Halo 3 was more popular and did have few bugs ect but id argue that alot of that popularity came from the 360 simply making it easier to connect to xbox live.

Alot of people will maintain the belief that Halo 2 was the best of the series and to some extent i agree, however im not going to pretend it was all gravy it had its fair share of faults to say the least but for me thats the Halo game i could go back and play endlessly i cant say the same about Halo 3 or Reach.

As for "best" thats entirely a personal opinion but if your going on sales and online figures then its halo 3.

Striker

Here's a forge world one I made really quickly, what do you think? :p
I like grey shirts, I'd buy it.

Saw a Foundry one myself.

63DO6.jpg

I feel the same way. Halo 2 has a special place because the variety of locales in the campaign and what I feel are the best collection of Halo MP maps to ever exist. (Emphasis on "collection"; they're not all winners but its a good batch overall).
Everything but Backwash and Gemini.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That was a great update. Juicy enough morsels to satisfy me for a little while. Can't wait to see what's in store with the new sandbox.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
btw - if any of you guys get the chance, go see Radiohead on their current tour. Last night was glorious.

I just got off the phone with a friend like 2 minutes ago who managed to snag 4 tickets for May 31st in Jersey. He offered one to me. Looks like I'm going to see Radiohead baby! First time for me. They're actually one of the last of my favorite bands that I haven't seen live. I'm pumped as fuck!

I just got off the phone with a friend like 2 minutes ago who managed to snag 4 tickets for May 31st in Jersey. He offered one to me. Looks like I'm going to see Radiohead baby! First time for me. They're actually one of the last of my favorite bands that I haven't seen live. I'm pumped as fuck!
You are in for a treat, my friend. Last night was my third time seeing them overall, and they always put on an incredible show. Nothing off the first three albums until the encore(s), but lots of Kid A awesomeness.

Tashi

You are in for a treat, my friend. Last night was my third time seeing them overall, and they always put on an incredible show. Nothing off the first three albums until the encore(s), but lots of Kid A awesomeness.

Ehh I'm not your typical GAF Radiohead fan. I think Kid A is largely overrated but there are like 4 songs that I really love. The Bends is my favorite album.
Don't kill me
But whatever, I'll still enjoy it. I'm looking forward to hearing Staircase. I think that's the best Radiohead song since In Rainbows came out. Such a great song.

Different strokes for different folks and all that stuff.

Halo 3 was more popular and did have few bugs ect but id argue that alot of that popularity came from the 360 simply making it easier to connect to xbox live.

Alot of people will maintain the belief that Halo 2 was the best of the series and to some extent i agree, however im not going to pretend it was all gravy it had its fair share of faults to say the least but for me thats the Halo game i could go back and play endlessly i cant say the same about Halo 3 or Reach.

As for "best" thats entirely a personal opinion but if your going on sales and online figures then its halo 3.

I'd say Halo:CE still is the most impressive considering that there was no previous mass Halo following or hype, no access to xbox-live, no later map packs/DLC, and no special updates to improve the game after release. Halo2 would have struggled if it weren't for the post release treatment and the already established Halo hype.

It makes me sad that it wasn't possible to give CE the same treatment as its successors. DLC maps? Xbox live? Would have been the best game in the history of mankind. Well, it sort of still is for me lol. And it had to carry a lot of the weight for Microsoft like a baby born fighting, against the better known and more reputable consoles from Sony and Nintendo.

I'm trying not to think of Halo 4 as an updated Halo 2/3. I'm going into this expecting a different experience. The good news is that this means the best case scenario is that the entertainment level surpasses my favorite Halo games. Reach could've done this, but the choices the creators of that game made were, in some very obvious cases, antithetical to fun.

Hoping for a rebooted Halo 2/3/CE seems like a recipe for disappointment. Not because 343 can't create an amazing Halo game, but rather because Halo 4 is a different game and will inevitably NOT be Halo 2/3/CE. I expect to play Halo, just not the same Halo I've already played.

/end preachy bullshit.

Very true.

Halo 2's multiplayer may not have been as technically sophisticated as Halo 3 or Reach (netcode, graphics, etc), but I believe the gameplay design was the purest of the Halo games, and the map design was sublime.

Yeah this is where Halo 2 excelled. Of course the technical side of things is not as good as 3 and Reach, it couldn't be, even if it was polished. From a gameplay design though, I feel that 2 is far superior to 3 and Reach.

I'm currently a Recruit because "the Halo: Reach server is not available at this time. Please try again later."

Anyone else?

Maintenance time!

HaloWaypoint said:
We'll be conducting maintenance on Reach, ODST, and Halo 3 this morning (PT). Please expect some downtime and general weirdness online.

Gazzawa

Yes, Halo 2 had it fair share of glitches and cheaters, but at it's core - the gameplay - it was, and still is the best in the series. And if you want to use online populations as an indicator of whether one game is better than an other then Call of Duty would be the best multiplayer game ever made.

yes. Commandro pro perk inbound for H4LO believe

Ehh I'm not your typical GAF Radiohead fan. I think Kid A is largely overrated but there are like 4 songs that I really love. The Bends is my favorite album.
Don't kill me
But whatever, I'll still enjoy it. I'm looking forward to hearing Staircase. I think that's the best Radiohead song since In Rainbows came out. Such a great song.
Ah, didn't know GAF was so overly fond of Kid A. The Bends and OK Computer are still their best works imo
The Bends is fucking brilliant
, so I'm right there with you. They played two brand new songs, one of which reminded me of their earlier stuff.

And I couldn't not think about Franklez when I was watching their drummer play.
#allwhitebaldieslookalike

Tashi

Ah, didn't know GAF was so overly fond of Kid A. The Bends and OK Computer are still their best works imo
The Bends is fucking brilliant
, so I'm right there with you. They played two brand new songs, one of which reminded me of their earlier stuff.

And I couldn't not think about Franklez when I was watching their drummer play.
#allwhitebaldieslookalike

Oh yes they are! And Amnesiac, which I'm also not really a fan of. High five on the Bends, that's classic Radiohead to me. I'm expecting KidA Seven to come in here and start ripping me hahaha.

THEY HAVE 2 FRANKIES ON DRUMS!

Arnie

At this point I wish they'd either blowout the multiplayer or keep completely shtum. All these deliberately vague comments are making me worried rather than reassured.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That's a good thing IMO.

Fair enough, interiors in general were a weakpoint for CE. Though interior combat is something I got from just about every other FPS leading up to Halo, which is why it doesn't resonate with me strongly within Halo. 2 having the lamest larger scale outdoor sequences makes it feel the least Halo to me as a result.

Chief has always been a man of action, not words. Two of my favorite moments in the series: when the Chief grabs a pistol and plants it under the Arbiter's jaw at the start of Halo 3, and when the Arbiter heads into High Charity looking for the Chief at the end of Cortana. The two of them had quite the bromance going in that game, and it's nearly all handled through action rather than exposition. Sounds like 343 is going to expand on the Chief's character that way, which is fitting.

you guys misinterpreted what the :/ was for... again, the question of voice actors was dodged.

I'm in the middle of Mass Effect 3 right now and I really wish Reach's campaign had this feel of doom and invasion. In Reach it was just like, "Oh the covenant are here this probably isn't a good thing."

Louis Wu

And if you want to use online populations as an indicator of whether one game is better than an other then Call of Duty would be the best multiplayer game ever made.
Oh, absolutely, because I suggested that there should be a single metric of 'good', and stated what it was. Yep, that's my opinion - thanks for nailing it down for me!

FyreWulff

Anyone up for ODST tonight or tommorow? We could technically go for Endure, but I'm on wireless so I can't guarantee I'll survive 5 sets connection wise.

Someone mentioned wanting the Elephant back on HBO. Immediately thought of a special Firefight map where there'd be a long area with multiple paths where you have to get the Elephant from one end to the other, with enemies attacking it in large droves at choke points and constantly pinging you otherwise. You'd be able to "deploy" it like Wars to access it's turrets and defense systems, but it'd also have health so you can't just drive straight forward and win. Losing the elephant would mean mission over. It'd also be your respawn point.

Tashi

Anyone up for ODST tonight or tommorow? We could technically go for Endure, but I'm on wireless so I can't guarantee I'll survive 5 sets connection wise.

Someone mentioned wanting the Elephant back on HBO. Immediately thought of a special Firefight map where there'd be a long area with multiple paths where you have to get the Elephant from one end to the other, with enemies attacking it in large droves at choke points and constantly pinging you otherwise. You'd be able to "deploy" it like Wars to access it's turrets and defense systems, but it'd also have health so you can't just drive straight forward and win. Losing the elephant would mean mission over. It'd also be your respawn point.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
:\ is easy to misinterpret when a reply quoted touches on multiple topics. :p

yeah, definitely. if you followed my posts it was probably a bit clearer, but out of context it certainly would be easy to misinterpret

I wouldn't worry about it. :)

i thought it would be a no brainer and something that would be confirmed off the bat, but the lack of a mention put me on the edge of my seat. i'm relieved and putting my expectations much closer to 99%. thanks.

Fuchsdh

I'm in the middle of Mass Effect 3 right now and I really wish Reach's campaign had this feel of doom and invasion. In Reach it was just like, "Oh the covenant are here this probably isn't a good thing."

"The Covenant. The Covenant is on Reach". That right there, in the first level, nailed my impending sense of dread about how the campaign was going to go. And it plummeted beyond my low expectations (having picked up the game months after the whole HaloReach.IsNotCanon.net business.) While I think the game did do a much better job of creating environments that felt "real"... the fact that the locales weren't that populated, like every other Halo game, and the weak main characters just ruined it for me. I can definitely say that Reach's campaign is the least enjoyable for me.

Hell, I'll say that I'd rather play Cortana than LNoS or PoA on Legendary.

The only thing I don't like about ODST firefight is the netcode. Even slight interruptions on one end will spell doom. Took me three tries to get the achievement, with the first time spitting me out 5 minutes from completion :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Steve Downes as Cortana and Jen Taylor as Master Chief confirmed.

J-Roderton

I'd be so down for some ODST, but I have NEVER had a decent match. The lag and everything has always been so bad. :/

heckfu

Banned
Don't kill me

I think I just found your fundamental flaw.
Kid A is the most complete album top to bottom in my opinion. It just has an incredible flow.

This isn't to say it's the album with the best individual songs as that could very well go to In Rainbows or HTTF.

Anywho, amazing concert, saw it last Thursday. Enjoy it!

Edit: sorry if that came off as douchey an pretentious. Just a long-time fan and you know how that goes.

Tashi

I think I just found your fundamental flaw.
Kid A is the most complete album top to bottom in my opinion. It just has an incredible flow.

This isn't to say it's the album with the best individual songs as that could very well go to In Rainbows or HTTF.

Anywho, amazing concert, saw it last Thursday. Enjoy it!

Ahh I see, so you're a full album listener. I can't listen to music like that. I usually have set songs that I want to listen to. I don't really just throw an album on and just listen to it like that. There are very few albums that I can listen to end to end and not skip some songs. Achtung Baby by U2 and Illmatic by Nas are just a couple in that rare air for me. What I usually do is I'll listen to an album for the first time and some songs catch me right away and most don't. So I keep listening to the songs I love and not ones I don't love. It's not to say the album is bad it's just the way I listen to music. But I have been wrong on several occasions so I definitely will reevaluating my love for Radiohead as I go back and listen to each of their albums in preparations for the concert in May.

Btw the songs I love on Kid A are, "Kid A", "Optimistic", "Idioteque", and "How to disappear completely" It's not that I think the rest of the album sucks, but it's these songs that I listen to when I listen to Kid A.

Flawed maybe but to each his own I guess.

/Radiohead chat

Redford

aka Cabbie
"The Covenant. The Covenant is on Reach". That right there, in the first level, nailed my impending sense of dread about how the campaign was going to go. And it plummeted beyond my low expectations (having picked up the game months after the whole HaloReach.IsNotCanon.net business.)

Hell, I'll say that I'd rather play Cortana than LNoS or PoA on Legendary.

How long are we going to rip on the game for that line? Or this apparent failure to instill dread? K, they could have done better, but Lone Wolf by itself made up for any failure to instill pity.

I don't know what is wrong with you if you'd prefer Cortana over anything, even in Reach. :/

I just want to hear from the 343 that they know Halo 2 had the best maps in the series and the whole wide world. (ok maybe just the series)

you can at least give me that, right?
Right?

My biggest issue was the lack of chaotic radio chatter that should have been happening throughout the campaign, or at least the beginning. It felt like the spartans and maybe 5 people knew the covenant were on Reach. The part with the civilian shuttle kinda felt the same way.

Also, why couldn't the elites we encountered in the beginning re-emerge as the group who search and eventually find Noble Team and kill Kat? Maybe have Noble 6 break one of their arms and dishonor a captain in front of his troops and really piss him off, setting the course for revenge as Noble Team fights its way through the invasion.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just want to hear from the 343 that they know Halo 2 had the best maps in the series and the whole wide world. (ok maybe just the series)

you can at least give me that, right?
Right?
I think the supremacy of Halo 2's maps is so unanimously understood that a statement isn't really even needed. It would be nice, but I think we can rest assured. Now whether or not 343 can match Halo 2 quality in their own original maps... We'll have to wait and see. I expect them to be visually creative and gorgeous, at least.

I think the supremacy of Halo 2's maps is so unanimously understood that a statement isn't really even needed. It would be nice, but I think we can rest assured. Now whether or not 343 can match Halo 2 quality in their own original maps... We'll have to wait and see. I expect them to be visually creative and gorgeous, at least.

Halo 3 and Reach made me doubt that Bungie understood this though :(

I'm down. I'm PST though so tonight might have different meanings

Tashi

What?

Halo 3 remade Lockout and Midship and Reach remade Sanctuary, Ivory Tower and Ascension. At least from what Bungie did. Did I miss any?

Sadly, the Midship remake was the only good one

Who is Radiohead? Is he a new character in Halo 4? Sounds like a stupid name.
The new ancient evil that Chief faces this time around. Comes from planet Telex in the Black Star system (lots of fake plastic trees there). I hear he's a real creep, but I'm optimistic that he'll just be another paranoid android.

What?

Halo 3 remade Lockout and Midship and Reach remade Sanctuary, Ivory Tower and Ascension. At least from what Bungie did. Did I miss any?

Exactly, Ivory Tower did show up cause im dumb, Lulsforgeworld, and they didn't even bring back the right maps.

I'm still fucking bitter about the Objective gametypes butchering Bungie committed. Team Skirmish was the fucking godtier playlist in H2. Actually, I take that back, Clan matches were. The perfect balance between beautiful maps, beautiful objective gametypes, and beautiful team motherfucking slayer.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Good point. :-(

BELI343, I guess.

I like Asylum, but it's a piss poor Sanctuary remake. Reflection is fun, if not actually good. Ascension* is total trash. And Zealot isn't a remake. :p

* Edit : Meant to say Pinnacle, not Ascension. The original H2 version was pretty good. Reach remake is trash.

Exactly, Ivory Tower didn't show up until a map pack, Lulsforgeworld, and they didn't even bring back the right maps.
Naw, Reflection was an on-disc map on Reach.

CyReN

What?

Forgeworld remakes of those 2 are bad, Ivory Tower is pretty good even though I have a love/hate relationship with that map.

Speaking of Blackout, what the hell happened to that map? It went from Lindsey Lohan in Mean Girls to Lindsey Lohan now with their remake. Heretic was good though.

I like all of 343i remakes speaking of them, maybe some issues with Prisoner spawns but the maps always had issue spawns.

Top Bottom