• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Good point. :-(

BELI343, I guess.

I like Asylum, but it's a piss poor Sanctuary remake. Reflection is fun, if not actually good. Ascension is total trash. And Zealot isn't a remake. :p

Naw, Reflection was an on-disc map on Reach.

Shit was it? I haven't been on Reach in a while. My mistake.

Forgeworld remakes of those 2 are bad, Ivory Tower is pretty good even though I have a love/hate relationship with that map.

Speaking of Blackout, what the hell happened to that map? It went from Lindsey Lohan in Mean Girls to Lindsey Lohan now with their remake.

It played a lot better when you could see the flag/bomb reset bar timer and you could contest it from certain areas of the map above or below the flag/bomb.

Striker

Reflection itself is fine. Having garbage like Evade, Camo, and Jetpacks on it makes it go into a hell hole, which you can say for most of everything else.

Sanctuary getting a remake makes you go "Awesome!", then you realize it's Forge.

Reflection itself is fine. Having garbage like Evade, Camo, and Jetpacks on it makes it go into a hell hole, which you can say for most of everything else.

Sanctuary getting a remake makes you go "Awesome!", then you realize everything is fucking grey whos fucking idea was this.

fixed

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Forgeworld remakes of those 2 are bad, Ivory Tower is pretty good even though I have a love/hate relationship with that map.

Speaking of Blackout, what the hell happened to that map? It went from Lindsey Lohan in Mean Girls to Lindsey Lohan now with their remake. Heretic was good though.

I like all of 343i remakes speaking of them, maybe some issues with Prisoner spawns but the maps always had issue spawns.

IT'S A PERFECT PORT!

I remember people complaining about the spawns on Blackout. Uhhhh have you ever played Lockout? Not exactly good spawns on that map lol

There are so many things wrong with Asylum.

For one they could have at least lined objects up better than a 4 year old and reduced the object density around the sniper huts.

GhaleonEB

IT'S A PERFECT PORT!

I remember people complaining about the spawns on Blackout. Uhhhh have you ever played Lockout? Not exactly good spawns on that map lol

On that note, there's a moment in the Halo 4 video where a guy spawns and immediately shoots someone running past him. My thought was, yup, that's Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My major complaint with Reflection is the power weapons. The over abundance and/or poor placement of power weapons brings down nearly every map in Reach, even the good ones. :-(

On that note, there's a moment in the Halo 4 video where a guy spawns and immediately shoots someone running past him. My thought was, yup, that's Halo.
Hahaha, really??

heckfu

Banned
My major complaint with Reflection is the power weapons. The over abundance and/or poor placement of power weapons brings down nearly every map in Reach, even the good ones. :-(

Mine are those sticky wood floors. Every grenade a plasma? I'll take it!

I really hope 343 doesn't completly shut out map and campaign exploration.

It seems with every subsequent game the ability to go outside the confines of the game for fun have greatly diminished. Everything is kill barriers and goddamit I know don't want people exploiting but is there some heavenly fine line we can walk where exploring your game doesn't help you cheat in mutli and still lets you play outside the confines of vanilla Halo 4?

Aka: Super jumping was the tits, getting out of maps and glitches refreshed the H2 experience, whereas I found the confining nature of Reach to get very dull very quickly.

Cabbie said:
How long are we going to rip on the game for that line? Or this apparent failure to instill dread? K, they could have done better, but Lone Wolf by itself made up for any failure to instill pity.

I don't know what is wrong with you if you'd prefer Cortana over anything, even in Reach. :/

The line reading was a little dry, but I like that it was said without yelling. Other games try too hard to sell the invasion scenario.

The line fit well with what I thought Bungie was trying to do: let the invasion unfold before you. It was a brilliant idea, but I think our preconceived notions about invasions in games (yelling, big explosions, massive invading fleet) are too ingrained for us to enjoy a slowly building invasion -- at least in games. And along with that, slow invasion sequences are boring compared to the epicenter of the virulent invasion climax.

It's also neat to see how what worked so well as a book did so poorly in a game.

GhaleonEB

Hahaha, really??

I was going to post this .gif as illustration, when I realized he was moving and had ammo depleted in his clip. Which makes me wonder what caused the screen to clear out to just the HUD, since that means he wasn't spawning.

Edit: the more I look at it, it almost looks like footage from two different moments blended together. So nevermind!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Mine are those sticky wood floors. Every grenade a plasma? I'll take it!
Yeah. A good grenade bounce is one of the most satisfying experiences in Halo. Reflection poops all over that.

@ Ghaleon : Is that a spawn, though? I'm not so sure. Looks like it might be some kind of weird transition added to the video outside of the game. The fact that he's sprinting while spawning, and his ammo count is different after the blue screen makes me think it's two different clips made to look continuous.

Edit : Saw your edit.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I was going to post this .gif as illustration, when I realized he was moving and had ammo depleted in his clip. Which makes me wonder what caused the screen to clear out to just the HUD, since that means he wasn't spawning.

i dont think thats a spawn in, just an odd edit. could be wrong though. damn, edit.

Fuchsdh

How long are we going to rip on the game for that line? Or this apparent failure to instill dread? K, they could have done better, but Lone Wolf by itself made up for any failure to instill pity.

I don't know what is wrong with you if you'd prefer Cortana over anything, even in Reach. :/

As long as necessary? The point is that's when it *starts* failing, and it keeps on going through the rest of the damn game. Lone Wolf was a great idea, and at least gave Six a decent end, but considering most of Noble Team's deaths weren't impactful in the slightest it doesn't invalidate the issues with characterization. I wouldn't have been bothered as much except that Bungie specifically said making you care about the characters and making the environment a character unto itself were its primary goals, and it by and large failed in that respect.

I don't understand why Cortana gets such a bad rap. The Flood in Halo 3 are simultaneously more annoying (Pure Forms) and easier (melee damage, increased plasma damage, greater frailty) than the other games, but the mission itself is short, fairly linear, and easy to outright skip a lot of enemies. Not to mention Halo 3 gives you the capacity to carry enough grenades to get the job done :)

The line reading was a little dry, but I like that it was said without yelling. Other games try too hard to sell the invasion scenario.

The line fit well with what I thought Bungie was trying to do: let the invasion unfold before you. It was a brilliant idea, but I think our preconceived notions about invasions in games (yelling, big explosions, massive invading fleet) are too ingrained for us to enjoy a slowly building invasion -- at least in games. And along with that, slow invasion sequences are boring compared to the epicenter of the virulent invasion climax.

It's also neat to see how what worked so well as a book did so poorly in a game.

I would have liked an audiolog-esque system where we could have seen the invasion through someone's perspective using yelling, tons of chatter, chaos, and stuff like that. Could of spiced up the invasion feeling without making a group of spartans listen to lower level radio chatter.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Edit: the more I look at it, it almost looks like footage from two different moments blended together. So nevermind!

Oh that's what you were talking about? Yea that is weird, definitely two clips edited together.

My guess about that blue screen shit is that you test your weapons and abilities in there. Sorta like a loading screen mini game or something.

Fuchsdh

Yeah. A good grenade bounce is one of the most satisfying experiences in Halo. Reflection poops all over that.

@ Ghaleon : Is that a spawn, though? I'm not so sure. Looks like it might be some kind of weird transition added to the video outside of the game. The fact that he's sprinting while spawning, and his ammo count is different after the blue screen makes me think it's two different clips made to look continuous.

Edit : Saw your edit.

I don't think that's a spawn. I think that was overlaying the HUD onto a gameplay clip--they're talking about the "fighter jet HUD" at the same time.

Edit: Saw the edit of the edit.

Ahh I see, so you're a full album listener. I can't listen to music like that.

Wut?

Mind explodes! Listening to music in full albums is the only way I will listen to it. Band's release music in album format for a reason.

Obviously people can listen to music however they want, but for me it's one way for the highway.

Sanctuary getting a remake makes you go "Awesome!", then you realize it's Forge.

The higher ceiling certainly doesn't help the map. The weapon/power up layout on H2 is also much better than the one in Reach.

I'm assuming that was just a video transition they put in for the vidoc because they were talking about he HUD and then showed it. If he had just spawned, why would he start that frame in the sprinting position? Now, that may very well be HUD animation while spawning, but I don't think he was spawning at that point in the video.

Probably total wrong, terribad spawns confirmed.

EDIT: Wow, beaten by everyone including Ghaleon himself.

Also noticed that Frankie promised good playlists in Halo 4: "Our playlists will be tightly focused, consistent, and properly polished. This will be especially evident at launch..."

A bold move my friend, bold.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also noticed that Frankie promised good playlists in Halo 4: "Our playlists will be tightly focused, consistent, and properly polished. This will be especially evident at launch..."

If Halo 4 has Shotty/Snipers in Team Slayer on launch I'm going to sit out until it's removed. Shit like that completely ruined launch multiplayer with Halo 3 and Reach.

Striker

The higher ceiling certainly doesn't help the map. The weapon/power up layout on H2 is also much better than the one in Reach.
Jetpack. :\

2's layout was perfect for it. The OS ramp was pivotal, and now it's gone. Where it sat is now the Shotgun, and the old Shotgun area is now just a DMR and some plasma grenades.

Boardwalk is one shining example of poor weapon layouts. Poor flag/bomb spot, too.

The spawns, the DMR, the spawns, the lack of playable space, the spawns. Vile map.
Another map that misses things like the OS. The Banshee port, sure, but that whole pathway where the OS sat is almost useless now.

Shit, now i'm really curious how vehicles will be, cause Reach kinda shit the bed with that too haha.

I used to be a really good hog driver, until reach came along and my warthog blew up instantly after flipping over a pebble.

Jetpack. :\

2's layout was perfect for it. The OS ramp was pivotal, and now it's gone. Where it sat is now the Shotgun, and the old Shotgun area is now just a DMR and some plasma grenades.

Boardwalk is one shining example of poor weapon layouts. Poor flag/bomb spot, too.

Oh god I just remembered what they did to 1flag on Powerhouse. Went from asymmetrical objective map to a wtf kind of flag spawn is this map.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Hey, I never said they'd be good...

Ugh constructive.

Yeah the DMR changes the way the map plays but honestly i still have very few problems with that map, it might be because i like it alot from halo 2 but i still enjoy playing it in reach, Exclude AA's and add a overshield back to its original place and it would be fine.

Don't expect Chief to suddenly start long monologues. His story will be defined by circumstances and events.
Not long monologues, but increased conversation and engagement with Cortana. I hope.
Quality relationship growth and character scenes for Chief & Cortana are (without gameplay deets currently) my most anticipated necessities in H4.

Fuchsdh

Ugh constructive.

Yeah the DMR changes the way the map plays but honestly i still have very few problems with that map, it might be because i like it alot from halo 2 but i still enjoy playing it in reach, Exclude AA's and add a overshield back to its original place and it would be fine.

I think the comment from someone above about lack of usable space has always been my issue with the map even in the H2 days--running through the center makes you a giant target from three principal directions (four if you count the ramp by teleporter). The only safer options route you around the center, leading to massive killing fields by ramps.

I do enjoy the map only because many players (who I guess never played H2) don't realize where the rockets spawn. I can take my sweet time jumping down and getting 2-4 free kills.

orznge

Banned
I think the comment from someone above about lack of usable space has always been my issue with the map even in the H2 days--running through the center makes you a giant target from three principal directions (four if you count the ramp by teleporter). The only safer options route you around the center, leading to massive killing fields by ramps.

I do enjoy the map only because many players (who I guess never played H2) don't realize where the rockets spawn. I can take my sweet time jumping down and getting 2-4 free kills.

One thing that was fun to do on Ascension in team games at the beginning of Reach, when your team got the spawn on the rocket side of the map, was to immediately take the rockets and go through the teleporter and fire one at the sniper spawn

Blueblur1

I hope power-ups come back and are on the maps by default. And it would be nice if they reverted back to their original Halo 1/2 designs. The big floating balls in Halo 3 and Reach were not aesthestically pleasing, IMO.

Whats wrong with Ascension?
The map is a triangle, with the center of being a place you never want to be caught in. It relegates the movement to the outer edges of the map, which is just poor design in my opinion. Faster routes across a map should have some risks, but with two very tall towers that can see your every movement through the center is a bad way to execute the concept. Throw in the infinite range of the DMR and the map becomes number 2 on my most despised maps in Reach. Thank the gods that the Banshee wasn't added.

edit: in the .gif Ghaleon recently posted, it looks like the Spartan is riding some sort of lift, with an intentional wipe of wherever it was s/he was coming from. I initially thought it was some sort of teleportation, but now not so sure.

Fuchsdh

I hope power-ups come back and are on the maps by default. And it would be nice if they reverted back to their original Halo 1/2 designs. The big floating balls in Halo 3 and Reach were not aesthestically pleasing, IMO.

Eh, the thing I liked about the balls was that you didn't have to look down as much to make sure you picked them up--you walked through them. I do look back fondly on those pyramids and cubes though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wait, it says it was posted today, was it up yesterday?
LLShC.gif

FyreWulff

Eh, the thing I liked about the balls was that you didn't have to look down as much to make sure you picked them up--you walked through them. I do look back fondly on those pyramids and cubes though.

While I liked them, they had visibility issues on certain maps. I like the little touch of the 3/Reach powerups going BWOMP when you respawn near them, though. Immediately tells you one is available. I'm not going to spend 3 paragraphs talking about how I like Halo's system of "tells", though. :p

Top Bottom