• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

I don't know if you've heard, but Overdoziz started the Squad Slayer movement.

Parody of the classic movement guy in case that flew over anyones head. But now I had to explain the joke. Fuck.

And the no sprint movement

And the no AR movement

And the no AA movement

And the...oh you get it!

I like Squad Slayer. Sometimes you got more then 4 people in a party, and you don't want to play BTB(well, a large part of that is because Reach's BTB is...unfortunate).

m23

I'm not answering those questions until I see someone with a lower Halo 3 level than me answer them first.

Lol, I know how you feel. I really hope they bring that ranking system back though. I heard 343's previous podcast and they did mention rank 50, so maybe there is hope. I don't like the COD system many games like Reach and Gears 3 are adopting, it doesn't show any skill of the player. I'd rather we know the person's skill than having it hidden like in Reach.

I just want a player progression system where the majority of the leveling-up comes from my performance in the game and not time spent playing it.

Tawpgun

m7OF1.png

Frankie posted on Waypoint omg hes ignoring us we luv him more what a dick wow not buying halo 4

WJD

This may have been obvious but from what I gather, power weapon spawn zones will be in locked places on the map, but the weapon that spawns in that zone is entirely random? I don't think I'd mind that too much. Map control would still play a part.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hnmm, so by that it almost sounds like each weapon will drop in a general location, the exact point will just not be known. So the rocket will always drop in this 50 foot square area, just a different spot in the area each time, unless I'm reading that wrong.

daedalius

This may have been obvious but from what I gather, power weapon spawn zones will be in locked places on the map, but the weapon that spawns in that zone is entirely random? I don't think I'd mind that too much. Map control would still play a part.

I'm sure they plan on clarifying this mechanic to a greater degree soon in the future.

I'd imagine it is something like Gears 3 has.

Tawpgun

I'm imagining a system where there are set spots on the map that are drop zones. The game will announce something like. SNIPER DROPPING HERE IN X SECONDS. ROCKETS DROPPING HERE IN X SECONDS.

MIGHT be fine, depending on how they implement it. One things for certain though, at the start of the match, drops should be the same all the time every time. Need to be balanced. I think 343 knows what they're doing.

He just wants to be the top level in a Halo game again. Can't get to inheritor under a skill based system :p

In all seriousness, Halo 3 had the right idea. Global EXP based ranks, and Skill based ranks. Just need to modify their skill based system so it doesn't reward boosters.

senador

Banned

Because no one seems to have as much time as you. :p

I'm imagining a system where there are set spots on the map that are drop zones. The game will announce something like. SNIPER DROPPING HERE IN X SECONDS. ROCKETS DROPPING HERE IN X SECONDS.

MIGHT be fine, depending on how they implement it. One things for certain though, at the start of the match, drops should be the same all the time every time. Need to be balanced. I think 343 knows what they're doing.

This is how I see it.

m23

The weapon drops might allow a lot of easy kills when people try to run for power weapons, I wonder how they'll balance that.

Karl2177

The weapon drops might allow a lot of easy kills when people try to run for power weapons, I wonder how they'll balance that.

Balance is all of the weapons spawning on my position unless we're playing the "Long Frank" custom game mode(where all of them spawn Frankies).

EDIT: We should play another game of Dongtasm on Sword Base soon.

Tawpgun

AS FAR AS RANKING GOES THERE IS ONE THING FROM HALO 3 I'D LOVE TO SEE BACK.

Getting EXP based on winning.

Winning gives you 2 EXP
Tieing gives you 1 EXP (maybe 2, idk)
Losing gives you 0 EXP

Quitting gives you negative EXP.

Prevents quitters, rewards skill.

Maybe you can make it like Reach's but along this line of thinking. Reach tried but it doesn't do enough.

For example,

Winning should give you 6000 EXP
Losing should give you 1000 EXP
Quitting gives you negative EXP

But with join in progress it kind of fucks this system over.

EITHER WAY. Winning needs to be rewarded VERY SIGNIFICANTLY. VERY VERY SIGNIFICANTLY.

WJD

I'd like to be able to get EXP for specific things in the game, eg kills, medals, sprees, wins etc, then with an EXP penalty for deaths (smaller penalty relative to the good EXP shit though). Just seems like a logical system and rewards actually being good at the game even if your team sucks.

I just want a player progression system where the majority of the leveling-up comes from my performance in the game and not time spent playing it.
How would that work? Tied to K/D?

Pretty sure he just means you make progress for your actions in games, (like COD), as opposed to Reach where the majority of your progression points come from just completing the game (time based) and random jackpots, and a small fraction comes from commendation and performance bonus.

Basically, Reach's investment system is backwards.

I'd prefer no player progression system. :( But I guess having all your options upfront is "archaic" design nowadays. Gotta grind that stuff out.

Tawpgun

I'd like to be able to get EXP for specific things in the game, eg kills, medals, sprees, wins etc, then with an EXP penalty for deaths (smaller penalty relative to the good EXP shit though). Just seems like a logical system and rewards actually being good at the game even if your team sucks.

It also rewards kill whoring in objective. Then if you rewarded objective play, it rewards betraying for the flag.

Its a good system in theory, but I fear it has ramifications.

Pretty sure he just means you make progress for your actions in games, (like COD), as opposed to Reach where the majority of your progression points some from just completing the game (time based) and random jackpots, and a small fraction comes from commendation and performance bonus.

Basically, Reach's investment system is backwards.

A lot of people answered the "why?", but I think you said it best. After a game is over, most of my exp/credits/spartan gold microsoft bucks should come from how well I performed in the game. I don't play CoD, but with Gears 3 the vast majority of your EXP at the end of a match comes from your in-game performance, whether it be the large variety of accommendatoins (Medals for Halo), your in-game score multiplied by a certain factor(depending on the playlists because not all gametypes are equal), or the "Winning" bonus.

I really, REALLY liked the playlist multiplication factor. It takes your score and multiplies it times, 2.2945 for Execution(because you usually don't get a lot of kills in that gametype, there's no respawns and it's 5-on-5), vs 0.45 for KotH(an objective gametype where games can go for 20+ mins and you usually end up with 20+ kills on average).

WJD

It also rewards kill whoring in objective. Then if you rewarded objective play, it rewards betraying for the flag.

Its a good system in theory, but I fear it has ramifications.

True but then different weightings could be given to the amount of exp per game type? Eg, a kill is worth 10exp in slayer and only 5 exp in objective.

Or would that just be entirely impractical?

Top Bottom