• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So I've been playing Reach with no audio lately(on top of no vibration) and I find it has been much more enjoyable. There is too much unintended deception with the audio. Like your Spartan making blood curdling sounds despite being fine. Or a nade sounding like it has landed closer or farther than you've thought, hell even when it explodes and only manages a scratch on your shield you'd think your shield is blown out. That's not too say no audio doesn't have its own drawbacks but my experience has been good overall.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I enjoy sprint, but it's still problematic. Balance it out somehow, and I'll like it a lot more.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think if everyone has Sprint, it's fairly balanced. I love what MLG did with sprint though. Aside from the initial spawn, every respawn in the game your sprint is turned off for 5 seconds. This makes it more fair for teams in objective games.

Also, 343, let's make sure flag juggling is in, is standard and is part of the game. None of that bullshit Bungie pulled off. PLEASE!!

Elzar I fully intend to, just as soon as I see it. Don't worry I'll wait.

cropped-957.jpg

No problem admitting that since Reach came out, I rely on sprint more than I would like.

The chasing in this game though...

Well it's one of the only ways to truly move around since the base speed is so fucking sluggish. I've used it to dodge stuff since strafing and jumping are non-existent and nades are so powerful.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Like Tashi said, the only real utility it has in Halo beyond Reach is for jumps. Health pack jump on Countdown tech halls is an example.

So I've been playing Reach with no audio lately(on top of no vibration) and I find it has been much more enjoyable. There is too much unintended deception with the audio. Like your Spartan making blood curdling sounds despite being fine. Or a nade sounding like it has landed closer or fairer than you've thought, hell even when it explodes and only manages a scratch on your shield you'd think your shield is blown out. That's not too say no audio doesn't have its own drawbacks but my experience has been good overall.

That's the reason behind the "homing grenade" phenomena, and half the time I'm probably running straight into the fucking things.

I hope this no beta nonsense isn't a result of a rushed development cycle...
I'm gunna be disappointed if the game is filled with bugs.

Dude, from what it sounds like they're crunching way less than most other Halo dev cycles. I'm not worried. ;)

I hope this no beta nonsense isn't a result of a rushed development cycle...
I'm gunna be disappointed if the game is filled with bugs.

Overdoziz

Banned
Kittens was explaining why that was problematic...
Well he pretty much only covered (semi) close quarter combat. Sprint can also become a problem when you're shooting at people from a distance (i.e. across Countdown) and they run away very quickly.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't like the "something for everyone" mentality that has been thrown around in regards to certain issues, seems like a recipe for disaster. If Reach proved anything, its that inconsistent gametypes across different playlists does not work. It's a complete mess, you're never going to please everyone anyway, and it just shows 343 aren't confident in their own design choices. Either go all out, or not at all.

As we've said before, our matchmaking choices at launch will be very focused and consistent, but it's a Halo game, and core Halo principles will be there universally and discoverable. But it is safe to say you will be seeing a very clear vision at launch - in some ways, quite a significant departure, but with familiar core pieces. That's not only not the same as "all things to everyone" but the essence of what we need to do to be satisfied with our work.

The game should have one vision at launch and stick with it, much like I'd wish they'd choose one Reach and go with it.
Thankfully they didn't do this, or else I never would have picked up Reach again.

Edit: To be fair, this is one of the rare times where this is acceptable. It sprouted from the community. The low playlist numbers is sad, but I think the fun of matchmaking is a greater priority than matchmaking times.

Overdoziz

Banned
As we've said before, our matchmaking choices at launch will be very focused and consistent, but it's a Halo game, and core Halo principles will be there universally and discoverable. But it is safe to say you will be seeing a very clear vision at launch - in some ways, quite a significant departure, but with familiar core pieces. That's not only not the same as "all things to everyone" but the essence of what we need to do to be satisfied with our work.
-Remove Infection, Grifball and Action Sack
-Add custom game search

So I've been playing Reach with no audio lately(on top of no vibration) and I find it has been much more enjoyable. There is too much unintended deception with the audio. Like your Spartan making blood curdling sounds despite being fine. Or a nade sounding like it has landed closer or farther than you've thought, hell even when it explodes and only manages a scratch on your shield you'd think your shield is blown out. That's not too say no audio doesn't have its own drawbacks but my experience has been good overall.
What a freak.

Speaking of audio, anyone know if this is a good sound system?
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=64882&vpn=980-000467&manufacture=Logitech&promoid=1359

Tashi

Good to hear

Fracas

#fuckonami

I'm sure you've been asked this countless times, but what is your honest, no holds barred opinion on armor abilities and bloom? It may sound weird, but I think it'll give me a better grasp of your visions for Halo 4.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Where was it confirmed that there won't be random weapon timers? I'm not talking about spawns.
Edit:
This does not talk about it at all

sounds like there will, at least in some playlists, b random respawn timers

Infection was very aptly named...a yucky playlist that was highly populated for a reason only the title could explain. I would've preferred cancer, but maybe that's a bit much.

Karl2177

I'm sure you've been asked this countless times, but what is your honest, no holds barred opinion on armor abilities and bloom? It may sound weird, but I think it'll give me a better grasp of your visions for Halo 4.

If you should be asking anyone this, it would be Ellis. He is a multiplayer designer now.

I think if everyone has Sprint, it's fairly balanced. I love what MLG did with sprint though. Aside from the initial spawn, every respawn in the game your sprint is turned off for 5 seconds. This makes it more fair for teams in objective games.

Also, 343, let's make sure flag juggling is in, is standard and is part of the game. None of that bullshit Bungie pulled off. PLEASE!!

Not only should flag juggling be in, but given sprint, I don't think you should have a movement speed penalty to being with by holding an objective.

Words that I like.

Tashi

Not only should flag juggling be in, but given sprint, I don't think you should have a movement speed penalty to being with by holding an objective

That's interesting. That would feel so weird but it's certainly not a bad idea.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If you should be asking anyone this, it would be Ellis. He is a multiplayer designer now.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Mr Ellis, question goes to you as well. Although after creeping the main page, he doesn't appear to be on at the moment.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Where did people get that information from?

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/05/11-things-learned-about-halo-4/

Power weapons may not be on set timers

We’re hearing that power weapons may not respawn in at set intervals, adding some unpredictability as to when rocket launchers, Spartan Lasers, and WMDs may reappear on the battlefield. The point of this is to make sure experienced players won’t dominate matches by running timed circuits to grab all the best goodies.

certainly not confirmed, but not shot down either, like random weapon spawns was. certainly thats enough to put in in the believable category.

FyreWulff

Thankfully they didn't do this, or else I never would have picked up Reach again.

They should put the TU into all of Reach. Unless people are still buying that "default Reach is going to remain" line, with two non-fringe lists left, and one of them is hanging on by a thin population thread.

With the removal of bleedthrough, there's even less of a point with the separation.

I was arguing with Thermight last night about how much less I rage over AA's with ZB, it was even better with bleed through, and both of these things will be in 4, so I'm pretty optimistic it won't be Reach 2.
I feel the same way. The fast kill times makes things like jetpack and sprint less annoying

Top Bottom