• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Overdoziz

Banned
So this bastard Tawpgun quit out of our 2v2 match on Asylum after about a minute. Instead of trying to fight 2 guys with power weapons I decided to give hiding a try. I got killed off-spawn a few times but managed to get to a fairly good spot right here:

9KrTpl.jpg

After a while though they figured out where I was so I had to find a new spot. That's when I decided to get up here:

6J71Nl.jpg

They didn't find me until there were 20 seconds left and I decided to kill one of them to taunt them. And because they ended up betraying each other and committing suicide a lot I even managed to win the game!

iUipU.png

I feel so dirty.

Overdoziz first spot is called Pistola.

Second spot is called Fat Inheritor spot. Because I first saw it when a team of 5 jetpacking Inheritors shit on me and went up there. Thats when I decided to adapt.

So this bastard Tawpgun quit out of our 2v2 match on Asylum after about a minute. Instead of trying to fight 2 guys with power weapons I decided to give hiding a try. I got killed off-spawn a few times but managed to get to a fairly good spot right here:

http://i.imgur.com/9KrTpl.jpg[img]

After a while though they figured out where I was so I had to find a new spot. That's when I decided to get up here:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/6J71Nl.jpg[img]

They didn't find me until there were 20 seconds left and I decided to kill one of them to taunt them. And because they ended up betraying each other and committing suicide a lot I even managed to win the game!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iUipU.png[img]

I feel so dirty.[/QUOTE]

HLG is a legit strategy bro!

orznge

Banned
Does everyone really not realize that if you make ranking based on something other than win/loss, or win/loss along with other statistics, that people are going to game it. It's a surprising thing to see considering the number of people that are against having visible rank because it encourages cheating and account selling.

Kuroyume

Banned

That's why drop in is needed for this series. That must have been torture for them.

I just had a fleeting thought, and although it is definitely not what 343 is doing I figured I would share. Imagine if your armor/loadout customization didn't apply unless you picked up a "custom power" on the map. Like basically, your customization wouldn't be activated unless you picked up the power up and or item, and there was a visible difference showing you had it activated. Basically, it would allow you to use special abilities while active, while staying more true to classic Halo gameplay.

Im not even sure if I would want this, and its not the best idea...But I figured I would share. =P

That actually sounds very reasonable and a lot better than loadouts in Reach.

I don't ever remember the announcer being noted as the main reason or even a serious reason why the cooldown exists. It appeared the cooldown exists (and was actually mentioned before Reach came out) to keep people from subverting the intent of the objective holder moving slower. They made the flag super heavy in 3 to try and counter it, and when people squeezed time out of that they just went with the cool down.

And they made it end user modifiable so MLG could turn it back on. So it's not even like you can't do it in Reach anyway for the community that mostly wanted it.

Not sure what you're getting at there. I don't give a shit which 'community' wants flag juggling the most, I want it in regular matchmaking where any sane player would also want it if the benefits of it were explained.

Juggling: you move the flag faster but with a UI marker stalking you making you extremely vulnerable to nades and the opponent in general.

Walking it: allows you to maintain a stealthy route but at a slower pace.

Juggling adds depth and is a skill in itself. It's not even arguable whether it should be in regular objective. It's elementary.

FyreWulff

Juggling adds depth and is a skill in itself. It's not even arguable whether it should be in regular objective. It's elementary.

Because it's so fun to watch randoms constantly miss the throws, and keep spending 3 seconds walking back to pick it up again. If you don't want to go slow, let's just cut the middleman and make objective runners in Reach move at 100%.

Overdoziz

Banned
Because it's so fun to watch randoms constantly miss the throws, and keep spending 3 seconds walking back to pick it up again. If you don't want to go slow, let's just cut the middleman and make objective runners in Reach move at 100%.
Blame the random, not the mechanic.

zap

We don't take out grenades because randoms will grenade themselves... it's a skill to learn.

Flag juggling has a risk/reward element that Thee Henery mentions. You managed to miss the point of his argument, again.

Flag juggling is Halo. Why they chose to remove it after 3 Halo's blows my fucking mind. It was never a broken element. The time spent changing it would have been more useful somewhere else.

My opinion.

stephen08

The only issue I ever had with flag juggling is that occasionally in really laggy games the flag grabs wouldn't always take. That's an issue with the netcode rather than the actual mechanic though.

Trey

If you don't want to go slow, let's just cut the middleman and make objective runners in Reach move at 100%.

I agree with this. The only reason to keep flag juggling in would be for tradition. It doesn't take any skill to pull off correctly, beyond knowledge of it existing in the first place.

That being said, flag throws should stick around. Takes team work and coordination.

I agree with this. The only reason to keep flag juggling in would be for tradition. It doesn't take any skill to pull off correctly, beyond knowledge of it existing in the first place.

That being said, flag throws should stick around. Takes team work and coordination.

I enjoyed the tactics behind it.

Either;
You moved the flag quickly but broadcasting the route as you do it.

OR

You moved it slower without letting the other team know which route you were taking it.

The better teams woud go for the former but that never stops the mid-tier teams trying to do it without properly securing the flag carrier.

Trey

I enjoyed the tactics behind it.

Either;
You moved the flag quickly but broadcasting the route as you do it.

OR

You moved it slower without letting the other team know which route you were taking it.

The better teams woud go for the former but that never stops the mid-tier teams trying to do it without properly securing the flag carrier.

That parameter can be inbuilt into the flag/carrier interaction itself, rather than some gimmicky workaround that spams the game with the announcer and/or notifications.

Fracas

#fuckonami
That parameter can be inbuilt into the flag/carrier interaction itself, rather than some gimmicky workaround that spams the game with the announcer and/or notifications.

Yep. I don't wanna hear "flag stolen" 5 hundred times a game. Just let it be a mechanic, not some stupid gimmick.

I dunno. As you try to move it quickly, you run the risk of dropping it and getting delayed to much. I don't think it's a simple case of putting a waypoint ovr the flag carriers head if he's going too fast or something.

orznge

Banned
It's pretty obvious that the developers never intended, in the Halo multiplayer lore, for there to be a guy increasing his travel speed with the flag by dropping it and picking it up repeatedly. There's a reason BXR is considered cheating, and flag juggling should be too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
After much dissatisfaction and contemplation, I've decided to waste ten more dollars and change my gamertag again, this time reflecting my IRL name and my love of Satan : shanti 666.

J/K about Satan. I just like the rebellious aesthetic of the number.

Trey

I dunno. As you try to move it quickly, you run the risk of dropping it and getting delayed to much. I don't think it's a simple case of putting a waypoint ovr the flag carriers head if he's going too fast or something.

Trust me, I know where you and thee henery are arguing from. I understand the risk/reward metric you mention, but that stops completely at the move faster but alert them to your whereabouts juncture. No one worth discussing will have issues flag juggling. There is no risk of it falling or being mistimed. That dynamic only exists in flag passing. The maneuver is not difficult to do at all.

CyReN

It's pretty obvious that the developers never intended, in the Halo multiplayer lore, for there to be a guy increasing his travel speed with the flag by dropping it and picking it up repeatedly. There's a reason BXR is considered cheating, and flag juggling should be too.

There's a difference between "skill" and cheating, that's like saying throwing a curve ball should be illegal because you can't throw it like that.

After much dissatisfaction and contemplation, I've decided to waste ten more dollars and change my gamertag again, this time reflecting my IRL name and my love of Satan : shanti 666.

J/K about Satan. I just like the rebellious aesthetic of the number.

I still don't know why you changed your name from popular revolt TBH, that was a good GT.

But whatever floats your boat!:p

I still don't know why you changed your name from popular revolt TBH, that was a good GT.

Wanna know what floats my boat?

Dense liquids

Yeah it was weird, Krow and I saw shanti 666 sign on. I figured it was you as it popped up for both Krow and myself. When Krow checked his FL, your old tag was there!!!

Wanna know what floats my boat?

Dense liquids

Yeah it was weird, Krow and I saw shanti 666 sign on. I figured it was you as it popped up for both Krow and myself. When Krow checked his FL, your old tag was there!!!

Why would your think it was me in the first place? I have never changed my GT.

Although, I do own 13 other subsidiary gamertags.:p

ZalinEagle bieng the newest addition to the family.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Yeahhhh. I liked popular revolt, but I wanted something that better matched my GAF name, so kittens revolt. And then I regretted that pretty quickly. So, new name, and it's final.

kylej

Banned
Really? Worst map IMO.

MLG Construct KOTH. I could watch it all day every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1AYQa9SKEU

RIP bleacher crowd sounds. RIP Chris Puckett commentary.

beautiful subtle troll is beautiful.

CyReN

MLG Construct KOTH. I could watch it all day every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1AYQa9SKEU

RIP bleacher crowd sounds. RIP Chris Puckett commentary.

RIP 40 people on the hard bench for 7 hours.

MLG Construct KOTH was a horrible gametype, did have some fun finishes though.

Blame Reach.

That was part of the problem, the Starcraft 2 crowd had minimal issues because they had announcers, Halo didn't have announcers for the crowd all year so that's why their crowd looks awkward and dead. I don't know why it's such a difference, I go to hockey games and people start their own cheers and react with no issues.

Really hope they fixed that this year, plus everybody be on the lookout for me I will have a giant Frankie head or Master Cheif head like below:
NerD0.jpg

7zN5Y.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There's a difference between "skill" and cheating, that's like saying throwing a curve ball should be illegal because you can't throw it like that.

what if the other team can't see your pitch? Its emergent, but it wasn't intentional so you're both right depending on the context of the match.

should trick jumping be cheating too? i doubt it was intended on bungie's part, yet it has become an integral part of the game.
cheating, in my opinion, is when you either hack the game or intentionally sabotage a game (by getting others to help you achieve your goal or you help others achieve their goal, aka boosting)

and to repeat myself, construct is beast.

CyReN

what if the other team can't see your pitch? Its emergent, but it wasn't intentional so you're both right depending on the context of the match.

Since it's been so many years, why didn't Bungie patch those glitches out of curiosity if you can say. I don't know if you guys did it on purpose but in Anniversary you are still able to backpack reload and other things which is nice.

Kuroyume

Banned
Says a lot about Bungie not to remove an exploit until three games later.

Their reasoning if I recall correctly for removing flag juggling was the announcer spam that a few bitches were crying about. It wasn't based on its effect on gameplay.

Btw, I want to see it back in 4. It was often a thrill to pull a flag out really quickly while people were on your tail. It's not the same with Reach where you're slow as molasses.

Overdoziz

Banned
should trick jumping be cheating too? i doubt it was intended on bungie's part, yet it has become an integral part of the game.
cheating, in my opinion, is when you either hack the game or intentionally sabotage a game (by getting others to help you achieve your goal or you help others achieve their goal, aka boosting)
LJtFQm.jpg

Redford

aka Cabbie
Trick jumping within the boundaries of the map is fine, but when to access clear oversights in the perimeter/invisible wall on the part of devs... Halo fucking Honour, guys.

I guess a developer has to pick their battles with how they witness the metagame evolve. With stuff like BXR and flag juggling removed, while other games have incorporated what players have done as recurring features. I mean they're not the most intuitive thing, but they do end up adding to the experience.

GhaleonEB

I guess a developer has to pick their battles with how they witness the metagame evolve. With stuff like BXR and flag juggling removed, while other games have incorporated what players have done as recurring features. I mean they're not the most intuitive thing, but they do end up adding to the experience.

I think they can add to the experience when they're designed and balanced as part of the game. Things like BXR were not, and running into it felt like I was getting cheated.

I thought flag juggling was fine, because it was self balancing: it let the enemy know where you were with the flag (and how...).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
lolololololol

MLG Construct King was awesome.

edit: Also flag juggling should be embraced and made part of the game. It should be in the fuckin booklet.

If you want to run the flag without being seen, hold the flag as you make your way back home. However, if speed is what you're looking for, toss the flag, pick it up and keeping tossing it.

I think they can add to the experience when they're designed and balanced as part of the game. Things like BXR were not, and running into it felt like I was getting cheated.

I thought flag juggling was fine, because it was self balancing: it let the enemy know where you were with the flag (and how...).
The thing with BXR is that you wouldn't really know what happened to you unless you explicitly looked it up, but it's been propagated within the mindshare of the Halo community at this point that I think it could be worth adding these "reload cancels" as something of a higher execution skill for players.

Though I don't really have a strong likeness towards either concept, so I don't care that Halo 4 will probably do without either. I just liken it to something like kara throwing in Street Fighter 4. Not inherently intuitive, you'll come to know it when you see it, but within 4 it's become something that was explicitly designed even if it feels like a glitch when you look it up for the first time.

CyReN

It's bittersweet for me, in Halo 2 the MLG crowd was basically a small niche crowd only sticking to team hardcore and customs. With the title update and button glitches getting discovered (Bxr, bxb, naded reloading on off host, and double shot) expanded the playing field significantly for competitive gaming for Halo. I don't know if it's can count as cheating but also clawing was pretty famous from Walshy. Now I see no issues with it in customs and team hardcore, but I can understand why it would be disliked in the casual to the non mlg crowd in other playlists, but overall It helped the game a lot to expand in my opinion.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

This. The "exploit" balanced it itself with a nice risk-reward system. It really should have stayed in as default behaviour, it added a little spice to Flag games (even if the Halo 3 netcode rarely let me do it).

I don't think the comparisons to BXR are fair either.

FyreWulff

Since it's been so many years, why didn't Bungie patch those glitches out of curiosity if you can say. I don't know if you guys did it on purpose but in Anniversary you are still able to backpack reload and other things which is nice.

They attempted to, by making the flag heavy as a ton of bricks in 3. So after that didn't work, they had two choices: go to cooldown (which was heavily discussed in optimatch) or make the flag drop straight down when you drop it. Since dropping it straight down would make it feel less realistic, I'd go with the cooldown.

I think the CE glitches stayed since they were going for a "close to the original as possible" type of portmake, so things like backpack reload stay. And it's not like you can play the multiplayer online so there's no issue in letting the bug stay in.

Top Bottom