• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I remember I was totally against using the glitches back in the day. I considered them to be cheating and refused to use them in "serious" matches (matchmaking, FFA's, 4's) but I did use them whenever I would be fucking around with some friends in customs or whatever. So, I knew how to do them, and I could do them, but I didn't use them. But then I realized that I just couldn't keep up without them. I was getting beat up on. So, I reluctantly adopted them. Grenade reloading was my favorite. I didn't practice double shotting much so I rarely pulled it out.

If you ask me now if I want button combos like Halo 2 back in Halo, I would say no way. At least not the ones that were present in Halo 2. No BXR, no double shot, no grenade reloading.

Ramirez

After much dissatisfaction and contemplation, I've decided to waste ten more dollars and change my gamertag again, this time reflecting my IRL name and my love of Satan : shanti 666.

J/K about Satan. I just like the rebellious aesthetic of the number.

images

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Z0bPx.gif

Edit : And it's not just me, hah. It's a common symbol in punk and anarchist cultures, which is where its appeal lies for me.

Also other mediocre/cliche names, killing field, personally I like team slayer on the van damned.

Also Bobs, suck it, you cock sucker!

jbobdr0RHL34v0.jpg

Bam!

Lol thats an awful score, is that the best you can do?
:p
Go check SSX.

The talk on the last few pages just makes me realize how much I want to play Halo 3 :/

I remember I was totally against using the glitches back in the day. I considered them to be cheating and refused to use them in "serious" matches (matchmaking, FFA's, 4's) but I did use them whenever I would be fucking around with some friends in customs or whatever. So, I knew how to do them, and I could do them, but I didn't use them. But then I realized that I just couldn't keep up without them. I was getting beat up on. So, I reluctantly adopted them. Grenade reloading was my favorite. I didn't practice double shotting much so I rarely pulled it out.

If you ask me now if I want button combos like Halo 2 back in Halo, I would say no way. At least not the ones that were present in Halo 2. No BXR, no double shot, no grenade reloading.

Agreed with all of this. Im slightly worried about the potential for bugs considering the lack of a beta, but I get the feeling they now know exactly what to look out for. That stuff should never be a part of the game intentionally and I doubt it will be a bug again.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Not sure if this was revealed, but during the showcase when we were being given a flythrough of the maps, we learned that your Spartan has loud, metallic footsteps that you can clearly hear and when they land on a surface a few feet below, they make a loud 'THUD' sound. Very nice touch and exactly what I wanted for immersion.

Also, Reach's stun animation is still there where your gun sways downward when you drop, but there's no fall damage and no stun, your Spartan simply does the animation. You can keep walking as if nothing happened. :)

zap

So uh played Team Objective just now, people voted for Neutral Flag on Asylum :|

Why are the only two AAs Sprint and Camo in that gametype? it boggles my mind... Camo is so frustrating... why not Hologram?

Not sure if this was revealed, but during the showcase when we were being given a flythrough of the maps, we learned that your Spartan has loud, metallic footsteps that you can clearly hear and when they land on a surface a few feet below, they make a loud 'THUD' sound. Very nice touch and exactly what I wanted for immersion.
With that audio cue, I'm hoping they drop all the wheezing of Reach's sprinting Spartans.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
With that audio cue, I'm hoping they drop all the wheezing of Reach's sprinting Spartans.

Why would you want to get rid of Reach's sex party? All that heavy grunting at the start of a match!

Also, Reach's stun animation is still there where your gun sways downward when you drop, but there's no fall damage and no stun, your Spartan simply does the animation. You can keep walking as if nothing happened. :)

Both of those nuggets are made of pure, concentrated winanium.

FyreWulff

So uh played Team Objective just now, people voted for Neutral Flag on Asylum :|

Why are the only two AAs Sprint and Camo in that gametype? it boggles my mind... Camo is so frustrating... why not Hologram?

Evade globally removed off of Spartans in the last update. Hologram was removed from Objective a long time ago for any gametype where you can hold an object.

October 5th 2010 Update said:
GAMETYPES

Global Changes
* Slayer DMR now has motion tracker enabled
* Evade has replaced Hologram for all gametypes in which players can hold objects (CTF, Assault, Stockpile, Oddball)
* Evade has replaced Dropshield for gametypes which create concentrated gameplay in specific areas (Crazy King, Territories, Oddball)
* All Classic gametypes should now include Sprint as default equipment

wwm0nkey

They had that stuff at E3 and because I wasnt willing to spend $14 on a god damn hot dog there I just kept going back to the sample area and getting the Pizza flavor ones lol

Overdoziz

Banned

I saw Devo mention loadouts being in the game, is this true? :/

Striker

Yeah, the map is garbage. With Halo 3's problems of grenades lying on the floor, that map is among the worst for it. One day I went back into theater and counted well over 20 frags just sitting by the gold lift ready to chucked and spammed. So awful. Map was just pure shit.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Gamerfood? Seriously? This sounds like a product that would come bundled with those grips for controllers that prevent cramping.
Or Mountain Dew: Code Red.

CyReN

I can understand headphones, but not sold on Gunnars, now gaming food? What the hell is next gaming toilet paper to help your ass as you game?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I saw Devo mention loadouts being in the game, is this true? :/

I didn't spot it.

While the idea that everyone can have Sprint, an Armor Ability, and armor pieces that affect gameplay seems like overkill, I'm going to wait and see how they're implemented and what they consist of before I make a judgment.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I can understand headphones, but not sold on Gunnars, now gaming food? What the hell is next gaming toilet paper to help your ass as you game?

Somewhere, someone just read this post and thought "aw yeah".
Expect MLGTP next fall.
"I use this to clean up when I shit on noobs!"

In terms of fiction, would a Spartan make those loud clanky sounds?

I like the idea alot, don't get me wrong
They're people covered head-to-toe in 2 tons of metal armor, wouldn't they be loud? Or is there something I'm missing

Overdoziz

Banned
I didn't spot it.

While the idea that everyone can have Sprint, an Armor Ability, and armor pieces that affect gameplay seems like overkill, I'm going to wait and see how they're implemented and what they consist of before I make a judgment.
So far it sounds like the opposite of what I want them to do. Which is to make the game simple, without much fluff and polish and perfect that into oblivion. I don't want the game to become a mess.

I'm especially cautious after Reach.

That was necessary for balance. I didn't mind it either.
Right, you need a sound, but man it's unappealing to constantly listen to huffing. The louder footsteps are a better substitute, maybe having an underlying sound of something activating in the armour to further signify that it's sprint movement.

Tashi

What balance? The reach radar pretty much shows you were the guy is. And if the guy is too far away, tu won't hear him anyway

Oh I keep forgetting about radar. In gametypes without radar, having the spartan be loud while sprinting was the trade off. You get the speed but people know where you are. But, it looks like I found another reason why radar blows.

edit: I don't understand how the loud huffing and puffing bothers you. Are you also bothered by the announced saying, "flag stolen, flag dropped, flag stolen...."??? I think the huffing and puffing is great. I can tell exactly what it is the instant I hear it.

FyreWulff

What balance? The reach radar pretty much shows you were the guy is. And if the guy is too far away, tu won't hear him anyway

The sprinting sound acts as a tell to inform you that someone is sprinting up near you/behind you. For instance, in SWAT it's usually prudent to walk around the corner instead of sprinting, since your panting will telegraph RED TEAM GUY COMIN' THROUGH and they'll spin around and dome you.

I don't think the sprinting grunt noise the Spartan makes is that much of a draw back, if any

Depends on your sound system. With headphones on you can place where it is three dimensionally fairly easily, just like when you hear proximity chat through the main audio.

Tashi

I don't think the sprinting grunt noise the Spartan makes is that much of a draw back, if any

It does. If you're sneaking around a base and trying not to be seen, you can't sprint. That's it. And, when you do sprint around the map, it's like having a beacon over your head. People know exactly where you are.

edit: Except from far distances, obviously.

That sounds absolutely perfect, I was hoping we wouldn't lose those little animation touches, I can't wait to see what else they have cooking. Also, the idea of the Spartans sounding like Spartans.. Yessss... This will be good. Hm, I can't recall if I asked this, but did you ever see the BR scoped in?
Am I the only one who likes construct?

I enjoyed the map, it wasn't may favorite but it could be a blast.

ElRenoRaven

I heard it mentioned somewhere that they were whisper quiet. Somebody in here, I think.

Yea in the books it's mentioned. But for gameplay sake you have to have some noise or tell that someone is sprinting up to you or running up to you. Sometimes gameplay has to come before fiction.

Am I the only one who likes construct?

And nope. There is only one map in all of Halo I have hated. That map is Chiron TL-34.

So far it sounds like the opposite of what I want them to do. Which is to make the game simple, without much fluff and polish and perfect that into oblivion. I don't want the game to become a mess.

I'm especially cautious after Reach.

Simplicity leads to stagnation and a lack of innovation. Let's at least hear some more details before your inevitable meltdown :p

Karl2177

edit: I don't understand how the loud huffing and puffing bothers you. Are you also bothered by the announced saying, "flag stolen, flag dropped, flag stolen...."??? I think the huffing and puffing is great. I can tell exactly what it is the instant I hear it.
I don't mind the announcer, but it's just personally irritating to listen to breathing like that. Especially when it's tied to something that is going to be frequently used. Like someone going and mouthbreathing near your ear constantly.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yea in the books it's mentioned. But for gameplay sake you have to have some noise or tell that someone is sprinting up to you or running up to you. Sometimes gameplay has to come before fiction.

Huh, I didn't know that. I really need to catch up on my Halo lore :/

Overdoziz

Banned
Simplicity leads to stagnation and a lack of innovation. Let's at least hear some more details before your inevitable meltdown :p
Last time they tried to "innovate" we ended up with Reach.
Seriously though, adding too many variables is something I'm mostly worried about. In Reach you can do so much stuff which is awesome but it makes it hard to create settings and maps that work well with all these variables.

I'm not saying that I'm not looking forward to Halo 4's MP. I'm just saying that nothing has really hyped me up for it yet.

Tashi

I don't mind the announcer, but it's just personally irritating to listen to breathing like that. Especially when it's tied to something that is going to be frequently used. Like someone going and mouthbreathing near your ear constantly.

Sounds like further motivation to kill the guy sprinting at you :)

Meh whatever anyone who could doubleshot to the extent that it was useful and advantageuous deserved it man, Shit was near impossible to use and aim at the same time. I had to start clawing to use it. Totally changed the way I handled my controller for years for just one little competitive advantage. I literally get pissed when people call it cheating because it wasn't. It was so fucking hard to do on a consistent dependable basis. I COULD, I practiced for hours to do it and it paid off in the end. Sorry if you couldn't adapt but fuck man. It wasn't impossible and anyone who didn't have the PAL version could do it. So it wasn't unfair imo.

BTW still to this day I can quadshot literally all day and if any of you need proof come over and watch me quad shot and aim all day. Its a learnable skill, and I worked my ass off to do it. Its also why I wouldn't completely object to something like it coming back. I love the challenge of learning moves others cant.

Top Bottom