• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Trey

Meh whatever anyone who could doubleshot to the extent that it was useful and advantageuous deserved it man, Shit was near impossible to use and aim at the same time. I had to start clawing to use it. Totally changed the way I handled my controller for years for just one little competitive advantage. I literally get pissed when people call it cheating because it wasn't. It was so fucking hard to do on a consistent dependable basis. I COULD, I practiced for hours to do it and it paid off in the end. Sorry if you couldn't adapt but fuck man. It wasn't impossible and anyone who didn't have the PAL version could do it. So it wasn't unfair imo.

BTW still to this day I can quadshot literally all day and if any of you need proof come over and watch me quad shot and aim all day. Its a learnable skill, and I worked my ass off to do it. Its also why I wouldn't completely object to something like it coming back. I love the challenge of learning moves others cant.

Double shot was pretty difficult. You earned that shit easy if you could pull it off mid game.

chaosz3ro

Neo Member
okay I need to add some more people from here

anyone wanna join me right now? Playing with one friend from another forum right now and he's the only one on :(

gt: chaos nul

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Meh whatever anyone who could doubleshot to the extent that it was useful and advantageuous deserved it man, Shit was near impossible to use and aim at the same time. I had to start clawing to use it. Totally changed the way I handled my controller for years for just one little competitive advantage. I literally get pissed when people call it cheating because it wasn't. It was so fucking hard to do on a consistent dependable basis. I COULD, I practiced for hours to do it and it paid off in the end. Sorry if you couldn't adapt but fuck man. It wasn't impossible and anyone who didn't have the PAL version could do it. So it wasn't unfair imo.

BTW still to this day I can quadshot literally all day and if any of you need proof come over and watch me quad shot and aim all day. Its a learnable skill, and I worked my ass off to do it. Its also why I wouldn't completely object to something like it coming back. I love the challenge of learning moves others cant.

1694.jpg

orznge

Banned
Wow, I can't believe I just posted an obnoxious image macro with jpeg compression from the "cheezburger" website, let me grab one without jpeg compression and without a watermark. This all, of course, a substitute for discussing something with someone, forfeiting any chance of gleaning a single bit of insight into another person's perspective or expanding my own.

ElRenoRaven

http://emotibot.net/pix/1694.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

No no he's right. In fact more button glitches should total include the surprise return of armor abilities too. Imagine Armor Locks glorious return and you could button glitch it so that you could do that while meleeing someone or shooting someone. It would be glorious. Invincible melees baby!

Redford

aka Cabbie

Could one ever need more reason for hiring.

Let's put glitches in the game.

smh

At least make an attempt to use some fucking sensible rhetoric, guys.

Yea already posted above, but, just because something wasn't intentional doesn't mean it wasn't a positive outcome.

If they were to do it intentionally it wouldn't be a "glitch" any longer. Glitch is an unnecessarily negative word imo.

Tashi

Yea already posted above, but, just because something wasn't intentional doesn't mean it wasn't a positive outcome.

If they were to do it intentionally it wouldn't be a "glitch" any longer. Glitch is an unnecessarily negative word imo.

So what's the argument then? What they were for Halo 2 or what they can be for Halo 4?

orznge

Banned
Let's put glitches in the game.

smh

At least make an attempt to use some fucking sensible rhetoric, guys.

I know, remember when developers ended up adding glitches that they thought added "depth" to their games into subsequent games? We ended up with shitty series like Tribes and Quake.

So what's the argument then? What they were for Halo 2 or what they can be for Halo 4?

My argument is it wasn't cheating in Halo2. Its stupid to dismiss it as a glitch, because it took more skill to do it than not to do it, and it could be something great. So I guess a little of all the above. I dunno. Shit some of the BXR's and Dubshots made huge montage moments. Something that nothing really scratches anymore these days.

I think it would just be nice to have something the average person can't pull off in Halo. Cause I'm getting a bit sick of the average player getting closer and closer to pro when they haven't worked for it just because thats how Bungie thought the future of Halo should be.

Shit heres my opinion of how Halo 7 works. You march up see an opponent. Press R to toggle on him. Game pauses. Goes to rock paper scissors mode. You choose one. Winner proceeds to do an animated move that kills loser and game continues.

So fucking stupid. I said use better rhetoric, that's all. Just because something was a glitch doesn't mean it's forever a glitch.

Dunno if you're talking to me but yea I think you just worded it weirdly.

So fucking stupid. I said use better rhetoric, that's all. Just because something was a glitch doesn't mean it's forever a glitch. You can't knowingly add a glitch to a game unless you're engaging in some kind of sabotage.

If you want to put button combos in Halo, say that instead.

My argument is it wasn't cheating in Halo2. Its stupid to dismiss it as a glitch, because it took more skill to do it than not to do it, and it could be something great. So I guess a little of all the above. I dunno. Shit some of the BXR's and Dubshots made huge montage moments. Something that nothing really scratches anymore these days.

I think it would just be nice to have something the average person can't pull off in Halo. Cause I'm getting a bit sick of the average player getting closer and closer to pro when they haven't worked for it just because thats how Bungie thought the future of Halo should be.

Halo isn't a fighter lol. I shouldn't need to look up a command list or claw my hand to do a combo.

orznge

Banned

He's not talking about what that specific facet of the game can be for Halo 4, he's talking, inadvertently, about adding mechanical parts to a game to increase depth. He means designing mechanics with the explicit purpose of them adding depth to the game as opposed to taking a vague idea ("Wow, it would be cool if Master Chief had a jetpack!") and trying to find an implementation for it that doesn't break the basic gameplay.

Halo isn't a fighter lol. I shouldn't need to look up a command list or claw my hand to do a combo.

Thats a stupid argument too that I hear pretty often. What do you think you're doing when you see an opponent and react to them. You are pressing a bunch of buttons to get a favorable outcome.

Fighting games are just sort of simplified because of the 2d and limited number of possible buttons/moves/outcomes. So in a fighting game you try and react to a move they do by using another move. Its the same fucking thing just the moves aren't written down. NOT THAT FIGHTING GAMES ARE SIMPLE. DONT MISUNDERSTAND.

Tashi

Well I think the focus has gone away from individual skill and is now leading towards teamwork. Which has its pros and cons depending on how you look at it. But yea as far as the montage moments are concerned, there's no question. My old Halo 2 montage had some double shots in it lol. BXR's are whack though. If they hit, someone did a back flip. If not, it just led to sloppy BXB.

Thats a stupid argument too that I hear pretty often. What do you think you're doing when you see an opponent and react to them. You are pressing a bunch of buttons to get a favorable outcome.

Fighting games are just sort of simplified because of the 2d and limited number of possible buttons/moves/outcomes. So in a fighting game you try and react to a move they do by using another move. Its the same fucking thing just the moves aren't written down.

So you're saying it is more akin to snaking in f-zero gx? Cuz that shit was crazy...

Tashi

He's not talking about what that specific facet of the game can be for Halo 4, he's talking, inadvertently, about adding mechanical parts to a game to increase depth. He means designing mechanics with the explicit purpose of them adding depth to the game as opposed to taking a vague idea ("Wow, it would be cool if Master Chief had a jetpack!") and trying to find an implementation for it that doesn't break the basic gameplay.

Yea, I got that. I just wanted to focus the discussion.

Ramirez

If you want to put button combos in Halo, say that instead.

Fairly obvious that it's what they meant...

Is there anything worse in Reach than Elite slayer? So bad...and the game in general as dropped in fun for me by a ton with the removal of bleed through, meh. Shoot a shotgun guy 3-4 times, then melee him tonight, and of course I get one shot. What are you supposed to do to that without BT? lol

orznge

Banned
Yea, I got that. I just wanted to focus the discussion.

Since you're insistent on discussing whether doubleshot should be added as a mechanic in Halo 4: what if it was added as an "armor upgrade" or some equally lore-drenched thing, would you like it?

Since you're insistent on discussing whether doubleshot should be added as a mechanic in Halo 4: what if it was added as an "armor upgrade" or some equally lore-drenched thing, would you like it?

Sure, just as long as I could get a modded controller and ruin your experience. You guys really think these things through.

orznge

Banned
Sure, just as long as I could get a modded controller and ruin your experience. You guys really think these things through.

You don't have to be threatening and nonconstructive and lash out, you could choose to not take part in this discussion if you're not interested. Just like any good situation in Halo, this forum is all about choices!

You don't have to be threatening and nonconstructive and lash out, you could choose to not take part in this discussion if you're not interested. Just like any good situation in Halo, this forum is all about choices!
I'm being very constructive. I just pointed out a huge flaw in button combos. And I love the hypocrisy. Or maybe you're mocking me for usually being diplomatic. Either way, well played sir.

Tashi

I've insisted on this?

And yea totally. I wanna read about double shotting in the new Greg Bear novel before I play it in Halo 4. It just makes more sense that way. The spartan IV's are new and they should be updated as such for MP. I don't like the same old power walking and jumping. Introduce new elements to the Halo universe and then bring them to Halo 4.

orznge

Banned
I'm being very constructive. I just pointed out a huge flaw in button combos.

I guess you're right: if "button combos" were implemented by the developers of the game, they would discount the fact that some players use modded controllers and make the execution level required to use them high to the point that only players with modded controllers could do them with any level of consistency. I guess you just don't think that the guys over at 343 could "adapt" to the desires of players wanting their game to evolve.

Karl2177

Oh, I'm sincerely sorry for responding to your sarcastic responses with hostility. In the future, I'll anticipate you completely missing the fucking point and I'll compensate to stay classy.

Over something as petty as calling something a glitch or not?

I'm being very constructive. I just pointed out a huge flaw in button combos. And I love the hypocrisy. Or maybe you're mocking me for usually being diplomatic. Either way, well played sir.
I'm sorry, but in what HaloGAF dimension are you dreaming of?

orznge

Banned
I've insisted on this?

You said you wanted to "focus" the discussion when I replied to you saying that juices was talking about (maybe not in the most clear way) adding mechanics with the explicit purpose of adding depth. The example he used was doubleshotting and quadshotting. I figured this is what you wanted to focus on, if I'm wrong though please clarify.

I guess you're right: if "button combos" were implemented by the developers of the game, they would discount the fact that some players use modded controllers and make the execution level required to use them high to the point that only players with modded controllers could do them with any level of consistency. I guess you just don't think that the guys over at 343 could "adapt" to the desires of players wanting their game to evolve.

Look, I'm not saying you can't introduce new elements of timing and precision, (I think GoW's Active Reload is an okay implementation), but we're being given very specific examples, namely the button glitches in Halo 2, which were absolutely exploitable by modified controllers.

Over something as petty as calling something a glitch or not?

I'm sorry, but in what HaloGAF dimension are you dreaming of?
I'm dreaming of the one where you stop antagonizing me with your ignorance.

orznge

Banned
And yea totally. I wanna read about double shotting in the new Greg Bear novel before I play it in Halo 4. It just makes more sense that way. The spartan IV's are new and they should be updated as such for MP. I don't like the same old power walking and jumping. Introduce new elements to the Halo universe and then bring them to Halo 4.

Would you agree then that the gameplay, to a large extent, should be rooted in the "lore" of what Master Chief actually does? As in the shooting, the running, the jumping, the utilization of equipment in a manner that he would actually utilize it. Should things like gandhi hopping be removed from the game by design as they don't fit in with what Master Chief would actually do, as evidenced through the developers intent as well as the lore creators?

Would you agree then that the gameplay, to a large extent, should be rooted in the "lore" of what Master Chief "actually" does? As in, the shooting, the running, the jumping, the utilization of equipment in a manner that he would actually utilize it. Should things like gandhi hopping be removed from the game by design as they don't fit in with what Master Chief would actually do, as evidenced through the developers intent as well as the lore creators?

God, shut the fuck up. Tashi, don't feed the trolls.

orznge

Banned
God, shut the fuck up. Tashi, don't feed the trolls.

Why is that not a legitimate question? Flag juggling is something that stuck around despite the negative assessment it was given by the developers, so it's reasonable to imagine that the same developers may not have envisioned the player jumping and crouching repeatedly to manipulate the player hitbox to lower their chances of being hit.

Why is that not a legitimate question? Flag juggling is something that stuck around despite the negative assessment it was given by the developers, so it's reasonable to imagine that the same developers may not have envisioned the player jumping and crouching repeatedly to manipulate the player hitbox to lower their chances of being hit.
Which is a gameplay discussion and has nothing to do with lore.

Tashi

You said you wanted to "focus" the discussion when I replied to you saying that juices was talking about (maybe not in the most clear way) adding mechanics with the explicit purpose of adding depth. The example he used was doubleshotting and quadshotting. I figured this is what you wanted to focus on, if I'm wrong though please clarify.

Yea I know Juices' standpoint. We've been having this discussion for a few years now. I thought I was pretty clear, I guess not. I figured we could focus the discussion to button combos for Halo 4 instead of talking about the same shit over and over again.

And that Greg Bear stuff was a joke. I was trolling lol. I guess I did a good job. :p

Gandhi hopping was a product of the shitty online environment from what I understand. It doesn't have nearly the same effect it did back in the day. I still do it sometimes today out of habit lol

Top Bottom