• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Ramirez

Oh, I'm sincerely sorry for responding to your sarcastic responses with hostility. In the future, I'll anticipate you completely missing the fucking point and I'll compensate to stay classy.

Sure, just as long as I could get a modded controller and ruin your experience. You guys really think these things through.

I'm being very constructive. I just pointed out a huge flaw in button combos. And I love the hypocrisy. Or maybe you're mocking me for usually being diplomatic. Either way, well played sir.

I'm dreaming of the one where you stop antagonizing me with your ignorance.

God, shut the fuck up. Tashi, don't feed the trolls.

5046091402_029de93f24.jpg

Tried MLG before I got off for the night, team of 4 against 4 rando's of course. They were pretty bad though, but good enough to beat randoms. :( I guess bleed through is gone in MLG too huh? Seemed that way, can't really say for sure...

I did manage to pull this off in the game though, an upload would be boss.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=27130533&player=TJ Ram

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bleed through it still in I believe. I just played and I can't even tell you for sure :lol My mind just goes numb when I play.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I hate elite slayer as well, but it's piss easy to get perfections in it in FFA (at least when dumbshits don't solely use stickies)

Ramirez

Bleed through it still in I believe. I just played and I can't even tell you for sure :lol My mind just goes numb when I play.

Those guys were abusing the pistol pretty hard. It's lame enough, but to resort to it when you're a group of 4 against a bunch of randoms, makes it that much more infuriating. Can't wait til that's gone...

First game of the night, 1/4 of our team quits before we start, get farmed in Heavies by people who live in BTB. I quit. Was not going to sit through that. Also the dashboarding lately before games even start, sigh.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Those guys were abusing the pistol pretty hard. It's lame enough, but to resort to it when you're a group of 4 against a bunch of randoms, makes it that much more infuriating. Can't wait til that's gone...

Yea, it's pussy shit

ElRenoRaven

Man, I wish Frankie would've never brought that tidbit up.

I agree. I also wonder why Green, Orange, pink, yellow, etc all fight? Is that going to be explained too? I mean if they're going to explain why Red and Blue fight then they should explain the others too.

Any good (free) photoshop guides out there for people who know nothing? Particularly for creating art?

I agree. I also wonder why Green, Orange, pink, yellow, etc all fight? Is that going to be explained too? I mean if they're going to explain why Red and Blue fight then shouldn't they explain the others too?

Im thinking they just may be going the training simulation route..or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Man, I wish Frankie would've never brought that tidbit up.

Why? What's the harm? It's a tiny, tiny bit of additional fiction that will tie in multiplayer into the overall universe. A little bone 343 are throwing to us fiction fans. It won't affect the game in any meaningful way, it won't get in the way of shooting fools so why even care about it?

Just let me enjoy an extra bit of fiction with my shooting.

Oozer3993

I seem to remember the last main Halo game including a mechanic that gave shooting some of the weapons more depth. Nobody but me seemed to like it, and now it is gone in Halo 4.

Go easy on me, an insane billionaire just ruined any chances my beloved Browns had of being good for the next half a decade. This has made me suitably bitter about just about everything right now.

On a slightly different note, I finally got around to finishing Glasslands today. After getting through the first 3/4s of it, I was fully intending to praise it, but the last quarter served to sour me on it a bit.
Up to that point I had liked the different stance towards Halsey. She did some very bad things, but the other books didn't really see fit to bring much attention to that fact, so it was nice to see her from another perspective. But then Karen Traviss seemed to kick that sentiment into overdrive in the last part of the book. I know this is a common complaint about the book, and though the first 75% of it, I was all set to dismiss it as overreaction. "Sure," I thought, "she definitely takes Halsey to task, but it is kind of deserved, and it is interesting to hear these thoughts coming from the principal players. As long as she doesn't drive it into the ground, or go off the deep end with it, I think some fans were jumping the gun with their dissatisfaction." But the vitriol just kept coming. Godwin's Law even comes into play as Halsey is, at one point, compared to Hitler. An intriguing story and some interesting new characters are marred by Traviss' insistence on pounding the reader over the head with how awful Dr. Halsey is. If she can squelch that desire, or at least curb it to a certain extent, I think her next book could be great.

ElRenoRaven

I seem to remember the last main Halo game including a mechanic that gave shooting some of the weapons more depth. Nobody but me seemed to like it, and now it is gone in Halo 4.

Go easy on me, an insane billionaire just ruined any chances my beloved Browns had of being good for the next half a decade. This has made me suitably bitter about just about everything right now.

On a slightly different note, I finally got around to finishing Glasslands today. After getting through the first 3/4s of it, I was fully intending to praise it, but the last quarter served to sour me on it a bit.
Up to that point I had liked the different stance towards Halsey. She did some very bad things, but the other books didn't really see fit to bring much attention to that fact, so it was nice to see her from another perspective. But then Karen Traviss seemed to kick that sentiment into overdrive in the last part of the book. I know this is a common complaint about the book, and though the first 75% of it, I was all set to dismiss it as overreaction. "Sure," I thought, "she definitely takes Halsey to task, but it is kind of deserved, and it is interesting to hear these thoughts coming from the principal players. As long as she doesn't drive it into the ground, or go off the deep end with it, I think some fans were jumping the gun with their dissatisfaction." But the vitriol just kept coming. Godwin's Law even comes into play as Halsey is, at one point, compared to Hitler. An intriguing story and some interesting new characters are marred by Traviss' insistence on pounding the reader over the head with how awful Dr. Halsey is. If she can squelch that desire, or at least curb it to a certain extent, I think her next book could be great.

I agree. It just went overboard. If anything it resulted in the opposite effect for me. I actually ended up feeling sorry for Halsey.

Im thinking they just may be going the training simulation route..or something.
Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force (which was basically a Star Trek mod for Quake III Arena) had you fighting on the holodeck. Brilliant. Nothing like like shit-talking Klingon bots.

*fragged by Duras*

Duras: You have no honor.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's a quaint tidbit that will only serve as troll food.
Exactly.
I agree. I also wonder why Green, Orange, pink, yellow, etc all fight? Is that going to be explained too? I mean if they're going to explain why Red and Blue fight then they should explain the others too.
Hru8B.gif

Why? What's the harm? It's a tiny, tiny bit of additional fiction that will tie in multiplayer into the overall universe. A little bone 343 are throwing to us fiction fans. It won't affect the game in any meaningful way, it won't get in the way of shooting fools so why even care about it?

Just let me enjoy an extra bit of fiction with my shooting.
I've no problem with it, just felt like people were trolling that tidbit of info.

ElRenoRaven

Speaking of Halo books I finally got around to borrowing Primordium from a friend. Bought Cryptum and didn't like it. I wanted to give Bear another chance though. I should just have skipped Primordium though.

3/4ths of the book really could have been cut and not harmed it one bit. Also can't say I'm a fan of it's ending.
343 GS should have stayed dead damn it.

Speaking of Halo books I finally got around to borrowing Primordium from a friend. Bought Cryptum and didn't like it. I wanted to give Bear another chance though. I should just have skipped Primordium though.

3/4ths of the book really could have been cut and not harmed it one bit. Also can't say I'm a fan of it's ending.
343 GS should have stayed dead damn it.

Primordium Spoilers-
Well, technically the one we know from the games is dead. Just he was a copy made from the new GS introduced in Primordium.
That said, despite it having many of the same flaws that Cryptum had, I would say its additions to the story and universe were well worth it. When things get good, they get real good.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

You are mistaking authorial intent with the book's plot and characterisation. Do you think Karen Travis beat 343 over the head with her insistence that the book and the characters treat Halsey in such a fashion? Heck no.

I think Frankie explained at one here or on HBO that Halsey's treatment in Glasslands isn't the full picture and it isn't. The story isn't over. It's like watching the original Star Wars films and thinking Lucas is an admirable storyteller. There's more to come. Two more books that continue the story of these characters.

Glasslands paints a very biased and one sided view of Halsey in a very deliberate manner and I'm pretty sure when the story picks up again we'll get to see the other side of things. And Karen Travis will be writing those books too. Do you think her "bias" is going to seep into these other books?

The whole Karen Travis hates Halsey, so the book treats Halsey like dirt notion is just plain stupid. With such statements you are calling into question KT's professionalism as a successful author and 343's ability to manage their own universe's fiction. Over what? The treatment of a child abusing scientist? Come. On.

ElRenoRaven

Primordium Spoilers-
Well, technically the one we know from the games is dead. Just he was a copy made from the new GS introduced in Primordium.

Yea but it just seemed like a cheap ass way to bring 343 GS back. Reminds me of the Nanotech bullshit in Glasslands.

Oh well with that out of my system I'll go to bed now.

Yea but it just seemed like a cheap ass way to bring 343 GS back. Reminds me of the Nanotech bullshit in Glasslands.

Yeah, I guess we will have to see how it pans out.
If he acts just like GS, then it seems cheap, sort of, but if he ends up having his own unique personality then I can accept it. I'm going to assume there are quite a few copies of him floating around on different Halo rings.
Overall, I liked it, but I do see where you are coming from.

You are mistaking authorial intent with the book's plot and characterisation. Do you think Karen Travis beat 343 over the head with her insistence that the book and the characters treat Halsey in such a fashion? Heck no.

I think Frankie explained at one here or on HBO that Halsey's treatment in Glasslands isn't the full picture and it isn't. The story isn't over. It's like watching the original Star Wars films and thinking Lucas is an admirable storyteller. There's more to come. Two more books that continue the story of these characters.

Glasslands paints a very biased and one sided view of Halsey in a very deliberate manner and I'm pretty sure when the story picks up again we'll get to see the other side of things. And Karen Travis will be writing those books too. Do you think her "bias" is going to seep into these other books?

The whole Karen Travis hates Halsey, so the book treats Halsey like dirt notion is just plain stupid. With such statements you are calling into question KT's professionalism as a successful author and 343's ability to manage their own universe's fiction. Over what? The treatment of a child abusing scientist? Come. On.

I liked the book a lot, and its portrayal of Halsey was fair, if not a bit over done.
The only thing that bugged me was how the ODSTs and other characters seemed to respect Parangosky when she was obviously just as dangerous, and immoral. I just hope book two doesnt paint ONIs devious and intelligent leader so nicely.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Cheap? The book establishes an entire fleshed out background for the character to give his re-appearance a payoff and his actions both context and meaning.

Yeah, it was out of the blue but they couldn't bring back Johnson, so he's the next best thing. =)

My discussion of the gameplay in relation to the lore has nothing to do with the lore. Glad you clarified that for me.
You seem like a smart guy but a poor writer. You've honestly lost me on this one. Stop using so many goddamn quotation marks and explicitly state your points.

No one here wants fiction to trump gameplay. Certainly, it inspires design, but balance and feedback and fairness and fun are paramount, even if they are subjective qualities. I personally don't think Gandhi-hopping is a particularly interesting function of the game, and I couldn't care less whether Master Chief would do it or not. No one here judges competitive gameplay by the measure of canonical accuracy, so why do you continually insinuate this?

orznge

Banned
You seem like a smart guy but a poor writer. You've honestly lost me on this one. Stop using so many goddamn quotation marks and explicitly state your points.

No one here wants fiction to trump gameplay. Certainly, it inspires design, but balance and feedback and fairness and fun are paramount, even if they are subjective qualities. I personally don't think Gandhi-hopping is a particularly interesting function of the game, and I couldn't care less whether Master Chief would do it or not. No one here judges competitive gameplay by the measure of canonical accuracy, so why do you continually insinuate this?

I insinuate it because there seems to be some unwritten criteria a handful of people around here use when they talk about how different mechanics, whether intended by the developers or not, fit into the the multiplayer design of the games in the Halo series. Most of the time this kind of discussion comes up about how these games are played optimally and the conflict this can create with the game's "flavor". A good example of this is people who will post continually about how wrong it feels for the CE pistol to be powerful, seemingly unable to remove the aesthetics from the mechanic. Flag juggling and gandhi hopping are two good examples: they emerged as ways to perform better but were likely absent from the vision the designers had for multiplayer gameplay. The latter two examples are interesting because they are less, uh, offensive, to a lot of players who don't particularly like them, and one of them has even earned some level of disapproval from the designers but has stuck around anyway.

Gazzawa

Played Halo 3 for the first time since 2010 this morning.
First map put up was Team Slayer for Standoff
**Veto'd**
instead...
Team BRs on the Pit - Reach has nothing that comes close to this.
I understand what people say about netcode. Not the smoothest.

Played Halo 3 for the first time since 2010 this morning.
First map put up was Team Slayer for Standoff
**Veto'd**
instead...
Team BRs on the Pit - Reach has nothing that comes close to this.
I understand what people say about netcode. Not the smoothest.

Damn, I would love to play some BR Pit right now.

I insinuate it because there seems to be some unwritten criteria a handful of people around here use when they talk about how different mechanics, whether intended by the developers or not, fit into the the multiplayer design of the games in the Halo series. Most of the time this kind of discussion comes up about how these games are played optimally and the conflict this can create with the game's "flavor". A good example of this is people who will post continually about how wrong it feels for the CE pistol to be powerful, seemingly unable to remove the aesthetics from the mechanic. Flag juggling and gandhi hopping are two good examples: they emerged as ways to perform better but were likely absent from the vision the designers had for multiplayer gameplay. The latter two examples are interesting because they are less, uh, offensive, to a lot of players who don't particularly like them, and one of them has even earned some level of disapproval from the designers but has stuck around anyway.

I agree that flag-juggling and Gandhi-hopping are interesting points of discussion for the same reason. I think the reason they have stuck around is because they aren't prevalent problems because:

1) most players don't play objective games and if they do, only some will be flag games

2) most players can't be bothered to Gandhi-hop.

and because the mechanics that facilitate these techniques are used in other contexts that are desirable, i.e. throwing a flag to a teammate, crouch-jumping, et cetera, and there isn't an elegant way of squashing the exploit without diminishing some other function.

As for the CE pistol, there are people that like/dislike the aesthetic, and people who like/dislike aspects of its gameplay functionality, with multiple combinations, because these are separate issues, the former being style, and the latter being substance. That CE pistol has haunted the franchise, and each adversarial iteration since has seen a rifle take the role of this common utility weapon, with the no-bloom DMR being the closest thing since. People want the functionality, at least to a certain extent.

Top Bottom