• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

WJD

So I'm sitting here playing Mass Effect 3 and I can't help but thing this is what Halo Reach should have been like. Much better sense of desperation in ME so far.

wwm0nkey

So I'm sitting here playing Mass Effect 3 and I can't help but thing this is what Halo Reach should have been like. Much better sense of desperation in ME so far.

Well ME3 is a different type of game but there are some story telling aspects that would be awesome if carried over.

WJD

Well ME3 is a different type of game but there are some story telling aspects that would be awesome if carried over.

Yeah, it is an apples and oranges case - but I think the overall themes of both ME3 and Reach are very similar and ME handles it slightly better from an atmosphere and story telling perspective.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Mass Effect is truly the king of awkward cutscenes.
ixtFLlvtcs2iW.gif

A lot of the stuff Mass Effect does to convey the desperation doesn't involve the player or genre at all. The skyboxes are nothing short of jaw dropping. The action away from the player is very intense. You walk past much destruction and many injured. Reach honestly felt lackluster.

Really hoping Halo 4 can deliver.

There are far too many similarities in both universes though. You would almost expect crosstalk between the two lol.

A lot of the stuff Mass Effect does to convey the desperation doesn't involve the player or genre at all. The skyboxes are nothing short of jaw dropping. The action away from the player is very intense. You walk past much destruction and many injured. Reach honestly felt lackluster.

There are far too many similarities in both universes though. You would almost expect crosstalk between the two lol.

I wonder if there are any Halo Easter eggs in ME3, I know the pillar of autumn was in ME2.

Gazzawa

Remember on the bus back from Apocalyptica we were reading the previews for Halo3 and Mass Effect?
And we said "Mass Effect must take its inspiration from Halo"
Whos retarded now!? YOUR MY BEST FRIEND RICKY BOBBY!

Smart decision, I went into the spoiler thread to post my .gif and a lot of people are sour on the ending(s) and to a degree the game as a whole.
Smart choice.

That ending. :/
Man, I know you guys aren't explicitly spoiling anything but don't mention stuff like this here please. When I get around to it I don't want to have the expectation that the ending will suck. I'd like a fresh experience.

Games been out 2 days in some parts of the world seriously STFU with this Disappointing ending crap its certainly not filling me with excitement.

Just picture that it ended 10 minutes earlier than it did and you are good

Seriously i can work out what happens just by reading this! thanks....

daedalius

The only thing that bothers me with ME3 is the fact the Reapers arrive at the very beginning, you leave, and take a couple of weeks to muster your forces.

Are the Reapers really that bad at stomping out a planet? The Covenant can do it in a day.

Seems awkward to me.

The only thing that bothers me with ME3 is the fact the Reapers arrive at the very beginning, you leave, and take a couple of weeks to muster your forces.

Are the Reapers really that bad at stomping out a planet? The Covenant can do it in a day.

Seems awkward to me.
They are harvesting. Getting every person etc. Covenant just do on thing: Attack and glass.

You know also sucks about ME3? The entire game.
Heyooo
It's better than Mass Effect 2. But that wasn't really a challenge.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm not going to get into it and I will squash my ME talk here but I'm going to say don't get your hopes up.

TheOddOne

Smart decision, I went into the spoiler thread to post my .gif and a lot of people are sour on the ending(s) and to a degree the game as a whole.
Jeff from Giantbomb was so down about it during the Quicklook too. Jeff is the only guy that has never steered me wrong, so I'm inclined to take a step back.

Do people really hope that Mass Effect 3 ends amazing/good/okay? After ME2, you shouldn't have hopes for a good story.
The story in ME2 was pretty decent, the side-stuff is where everything was cranked up to 11 and it was fantastic. Hearing ME3 isn't evolving the formula is really discouraging.

wwm0nkey

Games been out 2 days in some parts of the world seriously STFU with this Disappointing ending crap its certainly not filling me with excitement.

Seriously i can work out what happens just by reading this! thanks....

Personally I did not think it was disappointing by any means. Also unless you know the stuff that goes down in the game already there is no way you can tell what the ending is. Personally I love ME3 and the particular ending I chose.

How about we stop discussing Mass Effect's story while some of us are trying to catch up? You're being all sorts of rude.
lol. Get your own Xbox, or you watching your brother play the game.

Mass Effect 3 DLC spoiler:
If Juices fight against the Reaper, we don't have to fear anything because he can adapt which the Protheans weren't able to.

lol. Get your own Xbox, or you watching your brother play the game.

Mass Effect 3 DLC spoiler:
If Juices fight against the Reaper, we don't have to fear anything because he can adapt which the Protheans weren't able to.

Yeah I've been watching him play it. It's actually rather difficult to play my 360 since its been stolen but its always nice to have that card played on me.

Oozer3993

You are mistaking authorial intent with the book's plot and characterisation. Do you think Karen Travis beat 343 over the head with her insistence that the book and the characters treat Halsey in such a fashion? Heck no.

I think Frankie explained at one here or on HBO that Halsey's treatment in Glasslands isn't the full picture and it isn't. The story isn't over. It's like watching the original Star Wars films and thinking Lucas is an admirable storyteller. There's more to come. Two more books that continue the story of these characters.

Glasslands paints a very biased and one sided view of Halsey in a very deliberate manner and I'm pretty sure when the story picks up again we'll get to see the other side of things. And Karen Travis will be writing those books too. Do you think her "bias" is going to seep into these other books?

The whole Karen Travis hates Halsey, so the book treats Halsey like dirt notion is just plain stupid. With such statements you are calling into question KT's professionalism as a successful author and 343's ability to manage their own universe's fiction. Over what? The treatment of a child abusing scientist? Come. On.

Did you read my post at all? I NEVER claimed that this treatment of Halsey was included at Karen Traviss' insistence. I NEVER claimed she had any "bias" towards Halsey, and I NEVER claimed she "hates Halsey."

As I said in my post, multiple times, I liked the characterization of Halsey. My only problem is with how many times the book felt the need to really push that point of view, because it felt like I was being treated like an idiot. As if I didn't get it the first dozen times it was mentioned that what Halsey did was very, very bad. Not only that, it just kept escalating. A good analogue for Halsey's actions is Josef Mengele, but he's not brought up until after Halsey has already been compared to Hitler and Stalin, two comparisons which are ludicrous and only serve to undermine the more accurate one.

Risen

Rough night up in here?

I'd like an FPS that incorporated button combos for "special moves". I wouldn't worry much about a kid having a controller. I think the function could be designed to limit speed of input such that controllers would not be as much an issue. The major advantage in the controller is the speed at which it implements the input, not the consistency.

There will always be folks who manipulate the system or cheat. In H3 there were controllers that ensured every bullet was a "first" bullet and eliminated spread in subsequent bullets of the shot stream.

I think the glitches in H2 (specific to double shot, bxr, bxb, and quick reload) made for more dynamic and faster game play, which I like. They added a layer of skill and allowed for very clutch plays.

I completely respect those that didn't like them, or wouldn't want something akin to them designed into a game. But I enjoyed them, and would love another layer of skill added to my shooter.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You are mistaking authorial intent with the book's plot and characterisation. Do you think Karen Travis beat 343 over the head with her insistence that the book and the characters treat Halsey in such a fashion? Heck no.

I think Frankie explained at one here or on HBO that Halsey's treatment in Glasslands isn't the full picture and it isn't. The story isn't over. It's like watching the original Star Wars films and thinking Lucas is an admirable storyteller. There's more to come. Two more books that continue the story of these characters.

Glasslands paints a very biased and one sided view of Halsey in a very deliberate manner and I'm pretty sure when the story picks up again we'll get to see the other side of things. And Karen Travis will be writing those books too. Do you think her "bias" is going to seep into these other books?

The whole Karen Travis hates Halsey, so the book treats Halsey like dirt notion is just plain stupid. With such statements you are calling into question KT's professionalism as a successful author and 343's ability to manage their own universe's fiction. Over what? The treatment of a child abusing scientist? Come. On.

Although you are spot on with the rest of your post, the bolded part doesn't help. :)

Top Bottom