• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
dumbass-bush.jpg

He had an audience too.

KuGsj.gif

The dude is a stain on your country's history, not mine. =P

Trey

"it's no real consequence" is less so, but that's not what Dani said.
You can find people who will like anything.
It's counter-argued by the fact it can just as easily drive away fans (also a fallacy, especially without metrics).

It's at the end of the bulletin and easily avoidable. You'll find people who'll dislike anything. Perhaps I'm significantly underestimating the amount of people annoyed enough by a community driven caption contest-so much so the rest of the bulletin's information is devalued.

Halo was always a linear game in a strict sense. Its battles just had a penchant for being dynamic.

Ramirez

Reach had a nice little resurgence with me, but the removal of bleed through killed it for me. I still like ZB with a group, but other than that, time to start digging into ME3 I guess. :p

My main beef with HH & KOTH in Rumble Pit is that even if you try to go for the objective, some scrub can randomly spawn 2 feet from you, clean you up and take the skulls/hill time. It's just random luck in 8 man FFA, which is dumb.

I took a memory card down to copy the ME2 importer file, got back home and realized the new 360's don't have memory card slots, lulz. Think I'll just go ahead and start it, don't feel like going all the way back with a flash drive, meh.

I took a memory card down to copy the ME2 importer file, got back home and realized the new 360's don't have memory card slots, lulz. Think I'll just go ahead and start it, don't feel like going all the way back with a flash drive, meh.
Willing to generate a save on the PC? To match some of the decisions you made. Because there really are a lot of hooks. The character investment pay-off is a big part of the game.

Ramirez

Willing to generate a save on the PC? To match some of the decisions you made. Because there really are a lot of hooks. The character investment pay-off is a big part of the game.

Do your decisions mean a lot more than they did in 2? I found them lacking there. TBH, I don't even remember most of my decisions aside from killing Wrex.

Do your decisions mean a lot more than they did in 2? I found them lacking there. TBH, I don't even remember most of my decisions aside from killing Wrex.
I imagine there are a few missions that straight up don't happen based on decisions in 2.

Also you killed Wrex? How could you?

They certainly mean more than they did in 2. The game is like a cameofest from everyone and your impact upon them.

Fuchsdh

If by 'tunnel vision', you mean that 'on-rails' feel Halo 2 had (huge vistas wherever you look, but only a tiny fraction of those vistas holding usable playing space), I totally agree.

The other issue I had with it was the repetitiveness. The place this really hit home for me were those horizontal mancannon/moving walkways (not sure what you call them) about halfway through the game; you take one, you get to a fight, you finish it, you get on another one. Seemed like there were way more than there needed to be; it was just an easy way to add filler fights. (Happened in other areas, too - that was just when it dawned on me. :) )

You mean the gravlifts and... rainbow bridge things on "Gravemind"? That mission has to be my least favorite Halo mission overall, though "Pillar of Autumn" in Halo Reach and "The Package" are close.

Yeah, I think that's why Halo 2's campaign bothers me. It's much smaller than CE, with much less playable space in outside areas like Uprising or The Great Journey.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Reach had a nice little resurgence with me, but the removal of bleed through killed it for me. I still like ZB with a group, but other than that, time to start digging into ME3 I guess. :p
I'm feeling the exact same thing. My enjoyment in Reach has plummeted with the removal of bleed through, and now I'm looking for a new game to dump my gaming time into. I've been playing a lot of the original Advance Wars on GBA, but I need something more exciting... But I'm so damn picky about games nowadays.

I think I'm going to try to get a LAN group going in my university / city, and center my Halo playing around that. Otherwise, I'll stick to Advance Wars and perhaps a few GBA / DS titles I've missed out on.

I was joking.

BigShow36

If by 'tunnel vision', you mean that 'on-rails' feel Halo 2 had (huge vistas wherever you look, but only a tiny fraction of those vistas holding usable playing space), I totally agree.

The other issue I had with it was the repetitiveness. The place this really hit home for me were those horizontal mancannon/moving walkways (not sure what you call them) about halfway through the game; you take one, you get to a fight, you finish it, you get on another one. Seemed like there were way more than there needed to be; it was just an easy way to add filler fights. (Happened in other areas, too - that was just when it dawned on me. :) )

I'm pretty sure he means "tunnel vision" in regards to the atrocious Field of View Halo 2 had, like he said in his post.

Headhunter only appeals to Republicans! Holy shit, no WONDER I never liked it...

I should appeal more to Democrats because Headhunter is all about other people trying to take what you earned.

Risen

kill confirmed is the best thing mw3 did

You clearly never played it with and against good teams. Very good teams against very good teams and it's a snore fest. It is by far the slowest of the game types in that setting. A lead of just two, with good teams against good teams, and the game slows to a crawl with the team in the lead setting up and camping it out while the other team moves incredibly slowly to take the set while not digging a bigger hole.

In GB it plays exactly like Team Slayer with no difference at all apart from the initial minute of game play.

GhaleonEB

That's part of it. (We spend how much of Halo 2 riding gondolas/bridges/man cannons through otherwise massive environments?) But really, I can handle linear environments so long as the combat is interesting, and Halo 2 (mostly) cleared that bar for me, so they didn't get to me as much as they did to you.

I also meant the narrow field of view. When fighting indoors, the narrow field of view made it more hectic and difficult because I can't see as much of the battle at a time as I'd grown accustomed to. To me, Halo is seldom about crazy action and more about methodically managing battles (and dealing with the emergent crazy stuff that inevitably happens anyways). But with Halo 2's narrow FOV, things just felt, well claustrophobic (I can't come up with a better term). I couldn’t see or keep track of as much of the battlefield and had to swing my view around more to keep tabs on things. I felt like I had blinders on the sides of my face.

I should appeal more to Democrats because Headhunter is all about other people trying to take what you earned.

Funny, it's Republicans advocating that.

Karl2177

I'm feeling the exact same thing. My enjoyment in Reach has plummeted with the removal of bleed through, and now I'm looking for a new game to dump my gaming time into. I've been playing a lot of the original Advance Wars on GBA, but I need something more exciting... But I'm so damn picky about games nowadays.

I think I'm going to try to get a LAN group going in my university / city, and center my Halo playing around that. Otherwise, I'll stick to Advance Wars and perhaps a few GBA / DS titles I've missed out on.

I was joking.
As much as I like the original Advance Wars, I'm much more of a Dual Strike fan. OP aircraft carriers are boss.

You clearly never played it with and against good teams. Very good teams against very good teams and it's a snore fest. It is by far the slowest of the game types in that setting. A lead of just two, with good teams against good teams, and the game slows to a crawl with the team in the lead setting up and camping it out while the other team moves incredibly slowly to take the set while not digging a bigger hole.

In GB it plays exactly like Team Slayer with no difference at all apart from the initial minute of game play.
If you're playing competitive Kill Confirmed or Headhunter, you're doing it wrong.

I ran it with gaffers and we consistently steamrolled other teams. We always ran all the way around maps, and were always moving. Games were over in under 4 minutes. Maybe you just got bad matches?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I like the original Advance Wars, I'm much more of a Dual Strike fan. OP aircraft carriers are boss.
Yeah, I got the GBA version cause I found a copy for $5, heh. I'm going to pick up Days of Ruin soon to play online with my buddy in Japan.

As if the Republicans are somehow supporters of low taxes and small government. I can't fathom how that myth persists. And to be clear, I sure as hell do not support the Democratic Party.

Risen

I ran it with gaffers and we consistently steamrolled other teams. We always ran all the way around maps, and were always moving. Games were over in under 4 minutes. Maybe you just got bad matches?

You just agreed with me without intending to. Running even a decent team against typical MM kids and you can do whatever you want. MM is even more full of bad players in terms of percentages than in Halo.

Run that same team of "GAFer" against even a typical top 300 GB team and you get crapped on playing that way.

I've played with and against top pro's in CoD in MW3, both in GB and in general MM. When two teams that are very good match up in Team Slayer or Kill Confirmed - the game is almost never over in under 4 minutes. It rarely hits the kill limit before time runs out. (somewhat map dependent).

Both game types have an awful reputation in the GB community for this very reason. Most kids want to play Variant where they get CTF, Domination, and Search much more often and don't have to play game types that crawl that frequently.

Wut?

Headhunter is a wannabe "Kill Confirmed" mode from COD, and COD does this mode better. (no surprise here)

How can it be a wannabe kill confirmed when Reach came out later than MW3? But what you say is correct. Kill confirmed works far better than headhunter ever will (in Reach).

Overdoziz

Banned
Both game types have an awful representation in the GB community for this very reason. Most kids want to play Variant where they get CTF, Domination, and Search much more often and don't have to play game types that crawl that frequently.
The few times I watched MLG SnD it always ended up in one team camping because their plan fell apart. Can't imagine it being that fast.

For some reason text never seems to be able to relate my sarcasm clearly. =/

The Didact theories are the most common out there and have been for a number of years, gaining more and more traction.

I've been campaigning against these theories - I'd be disappointed if they are true because it's pretty obvious and boring and such an easy cop out. The Didact being the "big bad" of Halo 4 would just as boring as the the Flood being revived again.

Also, fictionally, there is no good reason why Didact could be considered bad or evil. It would require a significant retcon of the character.
Yep. It's too obvious. And I'm agreeing with you. Personally I hope it is not the case. Still I can't wait for Halo 4 and the 3rd Forerunner book.

Yeah, he composed both ME1 and ME2 soundtrack.
If he is the composer of Halo 4(which can be maybe), then I hope he does a ME1 like OST for Halo 4.

btw. Happy Birthday Cyren!

Risen

The few times I watched MLG SnD it always ended up in one team camping because their plan fell apart. Can't imagine it being that fast.

Search is aggressive depending on side and map. Rounds are only 2.5 minutes. On defense it's usually rush hard for first 4 seconds of game and then slow way way down unless someone on offense is killed, then they may flank. On offense, it's dependent on the map. On maps like Mission, the round will be over quickly. On maps like Arkaden, not so much. Still - offense will usually be the fast team if there is one. Some maps force a very controlled move up to plant, others force very fast plants.

I have to say... it's not much fun to watch, but playing high level teams (first page GB teams) with competitive settings is a blast. I'm a very fast player... and Search is my favorite of the game types to actually play, precisely because it is a mix of fast and very controlled team work. And those 1 v 4 moments are crazy fun when clutched... that pressure knowing your whole team is watching from your perspective can't be beat if you like competition.

Yep. It's too obvious. And I'm agreeing with you. Personally I hope it is not the case. Still I can't wait for Halo 4 and the 3rd Forerunner book.

If he is the composer of Halo 4(which can be maybe), then I hope he does a ME1 like OST for Halo 4.

btw. Happy Birthday Cyren!

Who exactly are the Prometheans? Are they in the books anywhere? I've read most of them, maybe all except Glasslands and don't remember a reference, but I've seen references online to them being a "warrior class" of Forerunners.

Overdoziz

Banned
Search is aggressive depending on side and map. Rounds are only 2.5 minutes. On defense it's usually rush hard for first 4 seconds of game and then slow way way down unless someone on offense is killed, then they may flank. On offense, it's dependent on the map. On maps like Mission, the round will be over quickly. On maps like Arkaden, not so much. Still - offense will usually be the fast team if there is one. Some maps force a very controlled move up to plant, others force very fast plants.

I have to say... it's not much fun to watch, but playing high level teams (first page GB teams) with competitive settings is a blast. I'm a very fast player... and Search is my favorite of the game types to actually play, precisely because it is a mix of fast and very controlled team work. And those 1 v 4 moments are crazy fun when clutched... that pressure knowing your whole team is watching from your perspective can't be beat if you like competition.
Yeah I love SnD, but it's really boring to watch.

Top Bottom