• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why is this thread so slow today?! I just want to procrastinate at work and y'all are forcing me to do actual stuff.
We'll hopefully get something significant-ish in the weekly bulletin today. But probably not.

GhaleonEB

Why is this thread so slow today?! I just want to procrastinate at work and y'all are forcing me to do actual stuff.

Not much (Halo) to talk about.

Um, I had a good game of Firefight Doubles this morning. I'm back to knocking off the Challenges that apply to Firefight each day. Makes for one or two games that yield 11,000-13,000 cR each. Just doing that and playing a bit more each day will land me at Inheritor before November. Does it matter? No. Why do I care? I have no idea!

Also, I've started writing over at FUD again, after a break.

That's all I've got.

We have had like a good half a year without anything concrete to talk about (except like a 4 min vid), the fact that this thread is still so active is pretty shocking. It has really slowed down lately though.

You're slow...

Fucking DNS's how do they work?

I'm calling M$ tomorrow :/

Still having problems? Sorry to hear that man.

We'll hopefully get something significant-ish in the weekly bulletin today. But probably not.

I'm just suprised just how little has been revealed, in one way, it's makes the wait for the game more manageable.

Also you suck! :p

Halo-wise, when I got home I re-played Sierra 117 and Crow's Nest.

Been itching to re-play some missions from Halo 2, but not all my free time has been sucked up re-watching Stargate: Atlantis. McKay is awesome.

TheOddOne

After reading David Ellis' tweets on how long it took him to install the game, I think I'll pass. :p
Ellis be a drama queen, took me around 15 min. to download and play it. I have no idea how this game is making me so happy, but I am so happy.

just played it a second time this morning... sooo amazing. A masterpiece. ne0ism- 0=zero add me! Not sure if I've played with anyone from gaf.
Will add :)

Met one person in the second level, I was so suprised. He or she was really awesome, but along the way I lost him or her. Searched for a while, but could not find him or her :(

Random comment: what if they brought back the spartan laser but it required 2 shots for a kill rather than 1. The charge time could also be shorter. I don't know, maybe its too much like a sniper at that point. Could still be good against vehicles though.

Striker

Random comment: what if they brought back the spartan laser but it required 2 shots for a kill rather than 1. The charge time could also be shorter. I don't know, maybe its too much like a sniper at that point. Could still be good against vehicles though.
What's the point if there's things that do the job better, and in a less offensive manner? Rockets and Plasma Launcher are efficient enough to be your primary heavy weapons in large maps. Laser has no purpose.

What's the point if there's things that do the job better, and in a less offensive manner? Rockets and Plasma Launcher are efficient enough to be your primary heavy weapons in large maps. Laser has no purpose.

Way more pinpoint accuracy at a distance without having to lead your target. Same with fast moving vehicles.

GhaleonEB

Do people like Halo 2's moment to moment combat in Campaign?

I really like Halo 2's midrange infantry combat, and the vehicle sections a great deal. Some of the missions have terrific pacing (Outskirts through Metropolis is superb, as are some of the later levels approaching the quarantine wall), and I love the three way battles with the Flood. Having a recharging active camo as the Arbiter was great fun. All in all, I enjoy the Halo 2 campaign more than Halo 1 (come at me).

Some aspects of the combat is poor; I never liked how grenades and melee felt in that game (outside of using the energy sword).

We should get a Bulletin tonight, correct? Were we given any info on what to expect this week, if there will be any interesting interviews or insight from the Halo 4 team? I'm hoping it will have some more cool bits of info, or maybe, however unlikely, some media from the game.

On another note, with Halo 4 media and news, have we hit the point where we can expect the possibility of new stuff at any time, or should we expect to know things in advanced, like different embargoes lifting, etc.

Striker

Way more pinpoint accuracy at a distance without having to lead your target. Same with fast moving vehicles.
The only vehicle in question to dodge these weapons would be the Reach Banshee, and I'm for certain that piece of shit will not return in its current state.

Why do I want more pinpoint accuracy on a heavy weapon? It should not be able to cross map like a rifle can (speaking directly on how it can impact so strongly against infantry).

We should get a Bulletin tonight, correct? Were we given any info on what to expect this week, if there will be any interesting interviews or insight from the Halo 4 team? I'm hoping it will have some more cool bits of info, or maybe, however unlikely, some media from the game.

On another note, with Halo 4 media and news, have we hit the point where we can expect the possibility of new stuff at any time, or should we expect to know things in advanced, like different embargoes lifting, etc.

I wouldn't think there would be an explosion of info until e3 and beyond. My guess is tidbits till then.

The only vehicle in question to dodge these weapons would be the Reach Banshee, and I'm for certain that piece of shit will not return in its current state.

Why do I want more pinpoint accuracy on a heavy weapon? It should not be able to cross map like a rifle can.

ha, i don't know, cause its all like bloooom! Its fun.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Intro Paragraph
Confirmation that they can't reveal more Halo 4 news yet, but "soon"
Reach Matchmaking Paragraph
Halo 4 Development Paragraphs "We're really excited to reveal more, not now, but in future! Trust us, it's going to be sweet"
Jokes
Farewell Paragraph, Dice Roll for a Tease
Caption Competition

Homeboyd

Intro Paragraph
Halo 4 Development Paragraphs "We're really excited to reveal more, not now, but in future! Trust us, it's going to be sweet"
Jokes
Caption Competition
Angel's alt?

Intro Paragraph
Jokes
Caption Competition

Well, maybe we will get to see the Frankie pics this week.

Thanks for the response Elzar & Ghaleon
Elaborate further, please. Not sure what you mean by "moment to moment" combat.
What I mean is, do you enjoy the combat that encompasses 90% of the game?
Do you think the movement, golden triangle, ai, etc are up to snuff?

I can't put my finger on it, something is off about it to me.

GhaleonEB

There are two things that don't click for me in Halo 2. The role grenades and melee play is different from Halo 1; they don't seem as useful or powerful; unless you have a sword, melee is virtually useless, particularly from Heroic on up. So the golden tripod feels well off balance.

The other is the field of view. Halo 2 has tunnel vision like nothing else I've played, and I found that affects my awareness of my surroundings and lends a claustrophobic feel to battles that should not have one.

Thanks for the response Elzar & Ghaleon

The only thing about Halo 2's campaign that bothers me is that it's a lot more linear. It doesn't have the open feel of the other games.

I'm sure mine was a unique situation. I did eventually get it working, but that was about the time I needed to get to sleep.
I still have to run the most recent update, so I'm probably in a similar situation.

I can't even play Halo 2 campaign on the 360 any more. The ghosting is absolutely terrible, and it's more apparent in the parts of the campaign that I actually enjoy. :-( I may have to cave and get it as my first PC game.

daedalius

Halo 2 is great, I just played through it not long ago.

I mean, other than the horrible ghosting on some levels on the 360. That is pretty miserable.

I enjoy the exploratory aspects of HCE better, but the encounter design of H2 is excellent. Also playing as the Arbiter is badass.

I've said before that Halo 2's campaign, and, indeed, the game as a whole, has a feeling of "unpolished" that is hard to ignore. I, too, disliked the melee in the game – I thought it felt week and unsatisfying. (Lacked that proper "oomph"). That's all I got so far.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
That's a terrible argument.

KuGsj.gif

You can apply it to anything.

Louis Wu

The other is the field of view. Halo 2 has tunnel vision like nothing else I've played, and I found that affects my awareness of my surroundings and lends a claustrophobic feel to battles that should not have one.
If by 'tunnel vision', you mean that 'on-rails' feel Halo 2 had (huge vistas wherever you look, but only a tiny fraction of those vistas holding usable playing space), I totally agree.

The other issue I had with it was the repetitiveness. The place this really hit home for me were those horizontal mancannon/moving walkways (not sure what you call them) about halfway through the game; you take one, you get to a fight, you finish it, you get on another one. Seemed like there were way more than there needed to be; it was just an easy way to add filler fights. (Happened in other areas, too - that was just when it dawned on me. :) )

A lot of people like it and it's no real consequence to anyone who doesn't is a terrible argument? Who knew?
"it's no real consequence" is less so, but that's not what Dani said.
You can find people who will like anything.
It's counter-argued by the fact it can just as easily drive away fans (also a fallacy, especially without metrics).

Top Bottom