• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Havok

True, a popular vote doesn't lead to a better game and that is a weak argument on my part. But to take things from the opposite perspective you don't necessarily get a better game from listening to the most hardcore of the hardcore either.
No, of course not. I'll always probably approach it like that, but really I'd be fine with the simple ability to opt out of it.

Was the not-random aspect of the weapon drops talked about in a bulletin, because if I wasn't on HaloGAF I'd still genuinely believe they were going for completely random weapon drops.

Yeah, you'll see the waypoint forums go up in flames shortly.

Also, Drop-In; Drop-Out.. makes me think there's not going to be ranks. And if this is the case, I'll die :(

I'm fine with DIDO when I'm with a team of 4, I think most of you guys are looking at it from a single perspective. If it's like CoD where you just keep carrying over from match to match (and it should if it's not ranked), then it's awesome. Your team of 4 will get a constant stream of people to dump on and you just go from one map right to the next, no waiting in lobbies for 10 minutes. What's not to love?!

This is fine, and your post below, i'm fine with it combatting. However, I don't want this to be like Reach where it's impossibru to play anything other than rumble pit by yourself without getting pissed off/screwed and would only be compounded by joining a losing game with 2 mins left

Ramirez

No, of course not. I'll always probably approach it like that, but really I'd be fine with the simple ability to opt out of it.

You're really against DIDO when you're searching for one guy for 15 minutes? One sided objective is the worst when 2-3 people quit out...

Havok

You're really against DIDO when you're searching for one guy for 15 minutes? One sided objective is the worst when 2-3 people quit out...
I don't have that experience often enough to hate it that much. I also don't play with a full party often enough to get that 'dong on incoming kids for an hour' rush you were talking about.

I'm pretty much in the worst of both worlds.

WJD

The feeling of going from vanilla Reach DMR to the TU DMR is kind of similar to the feeling I had during puberty.

Computron

WTF is happening to this blue guy?

zJ7OQ.png

Multiplayer freestyle break-dance mode CONFIRMED.

That would be interesting. I wonder how often it would be used. Most of the time the last one or two people seem intent on dragging out the match as long as possible (as in, they start hiding and stuff.
Yeah, that'd be one of my worries. But I think you really see that happening in Reach because you get penalized for quitting.

Although that doesn't seem to keep people from dropping out my firefight matches as soon as a vote passes for a mode/map they don't like (ie. the one that doesn't give max Cr).

Ramirez

I don't have that experience often enough to hate it that much. I also don't play with a full party often enough to get that 'dong on incoming kids for an hour' rush you were talking about.

I'm pretty much in the worst of both worlds.

Feels bad man.

neoism

I'm almost 99% certain (without any proof or evidence) that it'll just be restricted to social playlists.

wouldn't make sense otherwise. One of the dumbest features in COD game. Why even have stats for win/losses if you go in a game on the losing team sooo stupid.

wouldn't make sense otherwise. One of the dumbest features in COD game. Why even have stats for win/losses if you go in a game on the losing team sooo stupid.
Stats shouldn't take priority over getting players into games quickly and maintaining balanced teams. Nobody's K/D ratio is worth the hassle to me.

J10

Banned
Maybe there should be a kill switch on DIDO. Don't allow new players to join a game that's two thirds over or something.

Risen

Drop-in Drop-out?

Finally something to kinda deal with the quitters problem

The only way it deals with quitters is by making more quitters. It's like quitter sex begetting little quitter babies. This is how it will go:

Joining... Get in game... What? Got thrown in a game where the team is being dominated and I'm spotting the other team 20? Quit.

I just noticed in the Conan gif it seems that both lines of ammo go down simultaneously. Seems like a weird thing to implement.

Didn't some of the guns in the Reach beta do this?

The new Grunt look is getting a lot of hate. They disgust me. And I mean that as a compliment; they look great because they disgust me. I've always wanted the covenant to look genuinely nasty and ugly.

The new spartans look amazing too. The best they've ever looked in multiplayer. I love that pebbled aesthetic they're using in between the armoured plates.

Gui_PT

The only way it deals with quitters is by making more quitters. It's like quitter sex begetting little quitter babies. This is how it will go:

Joining... Get in game... What? Got thrown in a game where the team is being dominated and I'm spotting the other team 20? Quit.

Well not everyone thinks that way. And let's be honest, even if only 20% of people stay in the match after finding out they joined a losing team, it's way better than what we have in the other games. Which is nothing.

We'll have to wait and see how it works

Can we please make DLC Squad TU settings for next months update? I'd really really appreciate being able to play Noble and Defiant maps with playable settings. Its population is terrible so why not shake it up?

Risen

Well not everyone thinks that way. And let's be honest, even if only 20% of people stay in the match after finding out they joined a losing team, it's way better than what we have in the other games. Which is nothing.

We'll have to wait and see how it works

What has been your experience with join in progress matchmaking in other games? Take CoD... Granted I'm on the side making kids quit, but invariably every single game we push kids out of the game early, we're pushing a second set, and even third set out later. Not every once in awhile... not sometimes... MOST the time.

It does not make for fewer quitters, nor does it deal with the problem of quitters; it produces more fodder for good teams to crush.

Gui_PT

What has been your experience with join in progress matchmaking in other games? Take CoD... Granted I'm on the side making kids quit, but invariably every single game we push kids out of the game early, we're pushing a second set, and even third set out later. Not every once in awhile... not sometimes... MOST the time.

It does not make for fewer quitters, nor does it deal with the problem of quitters; it produces more fodder for good teams to crush.

They're different games with a different fanbase.

I get what you're saying but I'm still glad we have something instead of simply having to quit because I have no other option

I do think you have to match up join-in-progress with the idea of keeping the same set of players between games for best results. Has anything been said about that? Or will it find you a whole new set of players (unless you specifically opt to stay in) each match like it currently does?

Well one-sided objective games should be two rounds, not four. Really hoping for that in 4.

I agree though, DIDO has some baggage that comes with it, but I think in the long run, it will make for a better matchmaking experience when you actually play with full teams.

WTF is happening to this blue guy?

zJ7OQ.png

Multiplayer freestyle break-dance mode CONFIRMED.

Got shot by the pistol, which is obviously so awesome in Halo 4 that all physics broke due to the impact.

Halo 4 pistol needs to shoot as fast as the Reach Beta pistol.

PLEASE.

Needs to not have a fucking 8-shot clip.

I do think you have to match up join-in-progress with the idea of keeping the same set of players between games for best results. Has anything been said about that? Or will it find you a whole new set of players (unless you specifically opt to stay in) each match like it currently does?

In a game like Halo, where skill is much more obvious, I don't see people sticking around after losing unless it's a close game. In CoD they mix all the teams up and all that garbage, this wouldn't work in Halo unless it was only in "social" if they have a ranked offering.

However, in social/if there is not ranks, i would be open to this idea, donging on the same bad kids game after game could be nice as compared to different bad kids. :p

In a game like Halo, where skill is much more obvious, I don't see people sticking around after losing unless it's a close game. In CoD they mix all the teams up and all that garbage, this wouldn't work in Halo unless it was only in "social" if they have a ranked offering.

However, in social/if there is not ranks, i would be open to this idea, donging on the same bad kids game after game could be nice as compared to different bad kids. :p
Well if Halo 4 defaults to keeping the same players between matches that helps the issue of being continually dropped into games already in progress. I wonder how they're planning on making this work.

FyreWulff

Default Reach still is default Reach. Its presence is just reduced. (and hopefully entirely gone at some point)

It's more the point out that it'll stay Vanilla because 343 wants to hang on to a promise they've barely kept by a thread. It's already a joke. Team Slayer and Squad DLC are the only two Vanilla playlists left.

The facade should end, TU should go global minus Invasion, delete the redundant Anniversary FFA and Anniversary BTB, and bring back Squad Slayer.

Top Bottom