• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Noticed something about the red elites:

141_velociraptor.jpg

Red Elites can use doors confirmed.

neoism

OT, but anyone one who picked up Fez or is thinking about picking it up, get a load of this shit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37133367&postcount=1970

The puzzles in this game are absurd.

yep I haven't play in a few days. Reading the thread makes me want to never play it again. Love the music, and the atmosphere. But the puzzle are fucking retarded. no wonder Fish took 5 years to make it. Pretty sure the man smokes every drug known to man. Puzzles are fun to an extent, but Fez crosses the line by a mile.

GhaleonEB

yep I haven't play in a few days. Reading the thread makes me want to never play it again. Love the music, and the atmosphere. But the puzzle are fucking retarded. no wonder Fish took 5 years to make it. Pretty sure the man smokes every drug known to man. Puzzles are fun to an extent, but Fez crosses the line by a mile.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ek-for-the-world-to-completely-finish-fez.ars

Anyone considering buying Fez should read this. This is what the 'puzzles' in the game are about.

The only in-game clue clearly tied to the monolith's solution was a "tome," a hard-to-find artifact that opened to reveal eight pages of text in the game's coded language. The cover of the tome matched a 3D symbol etched on the ground beneath the monolith, and players already knew how to translate the tome's mysterious symbols into an alphanumeric sequence, one that seemed to spell out complete gibberish. Beyond that, though, no one seemed to have any idea what it meant.

It goes downhill from there.

HaloGAF should avoid Gaming side Halo threads like the plague after reading the last 3 pages i feel bad.

We cant actually win its either

Halo Suckz
Or
HaloGAF defence force lololol

Shock horror fans of game defend game for being actually impressive while haters hate on game because they cant play da haloz

I really like the new Spartan designs, they look GREAT. My only gripe would be that they seem a little...lanky? But I guess that fits into them being really agile. They're almost like what I think Spartan IIIs should've looked like. Less power, more speed.

A little disappointed that the AR will retain its Halo 3 look, I thought the Reach AR was really cool looking. But it makes a lot of sense, considering the ARs will be what was used in H3.

Really excited to see what the assault carbine looks like.

FyreWulff

I've no problem with old playlists remaining Vanilla. DLC Squad was a playlist set up post TU. Baffling but I'm willing to overlook it if it's rectified in the next MM update.

P.S Felt sick when I noticed I'd used 'it's' instead of 'its'. Edited it.

See, that would have actually made sense. If they really believed their "vanilla remains vanilla", then the existing vanilla would have stayed such and Squad DLC should have been TU.

At this point though, having not only having changed most of the non-fringe playlist to TU but also duplicating the damn things and splitting the population just leaves me saying just drop the TU from the gametype names, make the TU global, and get rid of the pointless playlist redundancy. Convince us that Halo 4 is going to be a focused experience by making Reach a focused experience.

GhaleonEB

Much of the higher tier puzzles are for completionists. You can beat the game fine by understandable means. It's a real pleasure to play, I love it.

The core mechanic is underdeveloped and doesn't build on itself, and the puzzles - about half the game - don't build from the gameplay. They're just things to decode shoehorned in. I was terribly disappointed with the game; it does so little with its premise and its real interests lie elsewhere.

Fuchsdh

tumblr_lzln2vsRZo1qzlvmi.gif

*bow* <3

Yeah, and there's nothing there of note.

Hell, yeah, I wrote all the Star Trek film articles on Wikipedia when I had a lot of time on my hands :p

See, that would have actually made sense. If they really believed their "vanilla remains vanilla", then the existing vanilla would have stayed such and Squad DLC should have been TU.

At this point though, having not only having changed most of the non-fringe playlist to TU but also duplicating the damn things and splitting the population just leaves me saying just drop the TU from the gametype names, make the TU global, and get rid of the pointless playlist redundancy. Convince us that Halo 4 is going to be a focused experience by making Reach a focused experience.

I definitely agree with you Fyre. They should just commit to the TU and be done with it. The matter of bloom and tweaked armor lock are in the grand scheme of things pretty minor if they focus on constantly updating maps and playlist weighting, etc.

Speaking of which, what are the obstacles to getting fan-made Invasion maps into the playlist? After seeing the excellent Sangheili Don't Surf one and playing around with Forge myself, it's probably the best possible use of Forge World anyhow. I think this is the aspect where Bungie dropped the ball on most, just because it needed more maps. When you've got a team together like we do on HBO Matchmaking nights it's an awesome experience.

WJD

Ok, carrying on from last night, maybe I prefer Aliens... Maybe not, I'm not really sure. It's so obviously Jim Cameron in both the good and the bad aspects and it's much easier to digest than Alien. However I think Alien seems to have more going for it beneath the surface.

Both are brilliant however and yes, I'm fairly embarrassed to say that these are my first viewings in my 20 year old life.

/OT

Ok, carrying on from last night, maybe I prefer Aliens... Maybe not, I'm not really sure. It's so obviously Jim Cameron in both the good and the bad aspects and it's much easier to digest than Alien. However I think Alien seems to have more going for it beneath the surface.

Both are brilliant however

Now you understand. Two classic films that are pretty different from each other, and nobody really bats an eye if you prefer one or the other.

Don't watch Alien 3/Revelations

WJD

Now you understand. Two classic films that are pretty different from each other, and nobody really bats an eye if you prefer one or the other.

Don't watch Alien 3/Revelations

Haha, I always hear bad things about those two but I think I'll watch 3 just because I love Fincher. Most likely steering well clear of Resurrection though.

Fuchsdh

Haha, I always hear bad things about those two but I think I'll watch 3 just because I love Fincher. Most likely steering well clear of Resurrection though.

Actually it's kind of funny because Alien 3 really is Fincher at its core, and in this case that's where the really bad comes in. If you read about the development of the movie there were so many times when it sounded like something interesting would happen but then they got the final script... ehhhh.

The core mechanic is underdeveloped and doesn't build on itself, and the puzzles - about half the game - don't build from the gameplay. They're just things to decode shoehorned in. I was terribly disappointed with the game; it does so little with its premise and its real interests lie elsewhere.
I'm at a point where the world is too big and I'm confused what I should do. I wished the game would have given me hints at the beginning like "Hey, these symbols look like we see on these mysterious stones or on walls etc." But now I don't know where I should go to decode this stuff etc. I'm frustrated. The OST and Art style is amazing but gameplay nah.

Me like that visor detail

Some nice info about Spartan Ops i aint heard before.

The equal in length to campaign stuff we get is being dubbed "Season 1" implying we may get even more stuff after. Im incredibly interested in how they will be delivered. Id pick XBL DLC if optional but i could see it all being on disc content that unlocks via a update on a weekly basis. If it is going the way of a TV show with "episodes" id love them to do flashback type stuff with more noble team before reach or bucks odst unit and things like that.

FyreWulff

Speaking of which, what are the obstacles to getting fan-made Invasion maps into the playlist? After seeing the excellent Sangheili Don't Surf one and playing around with Forge myself, it's probably the best possible use of Forge World anyhow. I think this is the aspect where Bungie dropped the ball on most, just because it needed more maps. When you've got a team together like we do on HBO Matchmaking nights it's an awesome experience.

The 4 player split requirement for Invasion impacts the number of maps that can possibly be in there and that the CCs can possibly push up at 343.

These screenshots are making me think, I wonder if we'll see the return of secondary player colors during team games?

Halo 2 had that, right? Or am I crazy?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Is it wrong that I actually like the new helmet?

edit: Haha, my bad, was talking about the Spartan IV helmet. Chief's new helmet looks sweet, too.

I'm pretty much in favor of TS x Massacre and Risen's thoughts on DIDO. I want rankings to come back and DIDO will severely mess that whole system up. Keeping DIDO to social playlists, only, would keep things intact. No rank to worry about? No concern.

Also, I still think the option to quit out of a game if 2 or more on your team leave, without being penalized, is a much better solution for at least ranked or competitive matchmaking. Once a team is down to one player, the game should automatically end. You don't even need a vote system. Just end the game. How is this a bad plan? There is no point in drawing out an inevitable outcome for the one player left.

The thought of encouraging people to quit out of competitive games with DIDO scares me a lot. It's just going to be constant, with host changes occurring non-stop and it will never end. Does not belong in competitive games.
Well one-sided objective games should be two rounds, not four. Really hoping for that in 4.

I agree though, DIDO has some baggage that comes with it, but I think in the long run, it will make for a better matchmaking experience when you actually play with full teams.

Got shot by the pistol, which is obviously so awesome in Halo 4 that all physics broke due to the impact.

Needs to not have a fucking 8-shot clip.
Favorite post of the day so far. Still laughing. And I agree with having 2 rounds in objective instead of 4.

watership

Also, anybody considering buying it should maybe wait for a patch. I lost hours and hours of progress when the game crashed (the only game to ever crash to the dashboard for me) and corrupted my save.

Off topic FEZ stuff: The exact same thing happened to me. I was 50 percent of the way through, now when I continue my save it shows Gomez in a room and then crashes to dashboard. Seriously, wait for a patch folks.

Top Bottom