• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

kylej

Banned
The max playlist cap + having to delete Squad Slayer to duplicate Team Slayer with TU settings so they can barely hold onto ""Default Reach will remain Default Reach".

Is TU BETA SLAYER still up and running? That's my all time favorite playlist. Can't get enough of it. Why, once I saw a good 30-40 people playing it at the same time. Phenomenal work by the matchmaking division, and by division I mean the broom with a keyboard duct taped to it that occasionally falls over and orchestrates the changes.

789shadow

Banned
Is TU BETA SLAYER still up and running? That's my all time favorite playlist. Can't get enough of it. Why, once I saw a good 30-40 people playing it at the same time. Phenomenal work by the matchmaking division, and by division I mean the broom with a keyboard duct taped to it that occasionally falls over and orchestrates the changes.

I think TU Zero Bloom DMR Premium Slayer Snipers is still there.

Uh, what's the problem if you're dominating everyone? Eventually it SHOULD put you against people to challenge you, and it's not like you're the one getting shit on.

Who was getting challenged in that scenario? Not I for I was killing them and they were just racking up more kills on my dipshit team mates. No one was being challenged it was just stronger players preying on weak players for most of the game. I only died because I stuck my neck out more than usual in an attempt to keep the game close. It was not fun nor competitive, it was tedious.

Also doesn't super slayer have bloom and armor abilities?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Who was getting challenged in that scenario? Not I for I was killing them and they were just racking up more kills on my dipshit team mates. No one was being challenged it was just stronger players preying on weak players for most of the game. I only died because I stuck my neck out more than usual in an attempt to keep the game close. It was not fun nor competitive, it was tedious.

I think you missed the point of my post, I'm saying it should eventually put you there.

Super Slayer definitely still had armorlock in the game I played.

FyreWulff

Lesson: people should not be allowed to like vanilla Reach.

No, 343 completely bungled that ideal.

Squad DLC should have been TU. Know why? Because if they had wanted anyone to buy "Default Reach will remain Default Reach", they would have left the pre-existing lists alone and had all NEW lists be TU. Which would have been Anniversary, Squad DLC, and so on.

Instead, they started putting the TU into those existing lists, including ones where it made no sense (Multi Team? It's mostly AR start and has Rocket Hog Race.. because bleedthrough and 85% bloom were important changes for that gametype apparently).

They even TU'd lists that ALREADY had a TU counterpart, like Big Team Battle and Rumble Pit. What is the fucking point of having both Big Team Battles be TU? Besides the map selection (which is a problem 343 wrote themselves into in the first place), the playlists differed by ONE gametype: Anniversary BTB Slayer (which works on all the other maps, so there's no reason for regular BTB to not have it). And then they go and TU the other Rumble Pit so Vanilla guys don't even have a choice for FFA.

When the remaining non-TU lists are fucking Team Slayer and Squad DLC, a whole TWO lists, it's time to just take the flaming like Bungie had to and push the rest of the game to TU. The Anniversary disc's execution was eh and the TU split should never happen in a game. That shit should have been global from day one.

tl;dr Reach would have been way better off if Anniversary had just come with a code for the maps and not have them playable via the disc because I really have no idea what the point of that was anymore.

Gone as of Tuesday, zero bloom will be a third slot voting option in Super Slayer.

zap

Super Slayer has the 85% bloom (hey uh, 343... where are the other gametypes with different ranges of bloom you talked about?) and all armour abilities with a ton of forge maps.

Squad Slayer had 85% bloom, Sprint/Holo/Jetpack without many forge maps.

Now Objective is 5v5 which ruins the flow of a ton of maps - makes games more likely to be stale-mates, tons of grenades get spammed on flag (another two players) and flag pulls are more difficult against a semi competent team.

:|

I think you missed the point of my post, I'm saying it should eventually put you there.

Super Slayer definitely still had armorlock in the game I played.

No, the best it can do is make me play against an exceptional team and still give me awful team mates. Or all of the good people are on my side. It's impossible to match properly with 20+ playlists going each with small populations and fast matchmaking times. Something will be compromised, and that something is a competitive game with properly matched players.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
No, the best it can do is make me play against an exceptional team and still give me awful team mates. Or all of the good people are on my side. It's impossible to match properly with 20+ playlists going each with small populations and fast matchmaking times. Something will be compromised, and that something is a competitive game with properly matched players.

I agree with the BS that happens with small populations.

A lot of these modes need to be cut/trimmed IMO, but most wouldn't agree with what I would think need cut.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Happens all too often when I go in solo.
Gone as of Tuesday, zero bloom will be a third slot voting option in Super Slayer.
... Really?

I agree with the BS that happens with small populations.

A lot of these modes need to be cut/trimmed IMO, but most wouldn't agree with what I would think need cut.

I had post about it back in the other thread. It was basically a Halo 2 playlist clone with some community shit thrown in.

Voting in reach makes no sense, just put the shittiest thing at the top, people vote for it and even if there is a tie that bullshit wins.

789shadow

Banned
I had post about it back in the other thread. It was basically a Halo 2 playlist clone with some community shit thrown in.

Voting in reach makes no sense, just put the shittiest thing at the top, people vote for it and even if there is a tie that bullshit wins.

The "top thing has tie advantage" idea is so dumb. Like, why.

FyreWulff

Oh. And I wish they'd make more playlists hide and lock your vote. Fuck people that constantly cycle the vote with their 3 guests.

The "top thing has tie advantage" idea is so dumb. Like, why.

The general idea would be that the more popular gametype is on top and is favored, and also because
Reach starts loading the top map first

Oh. And I wish they'd make more playlists hide and lock your vote. Fuck people that constantly cycle the vote with their 3 guests.

Fuck the people who troll vote for Uncaged when they see your team wants a certain map. Oh and guess what that shit wins because it's constantly put on top, or there are like THREE of them and there is no clear VETO of that POS.

789shadow

Banned
The general idea would be that the more popular gametype is on top and is favored, and also because
Reach starts loading the top map first

I'd prefer the better game type on top.

Also, that's why Infection always has to have it's own playlist. Putting it into another playlist turns that playlist into de facto Infection all the time because of the sheer following it has.

I guarrantee it'll turn up like this:

Slayer DMRs on Uncaged
Slayer on Powerhouse
ZB Slayer on Pinnacle

Then people will vote Powerhouse and 343 will realise everyone wants AR starts OR vote Uncaged and then they think Uncaged isn't so bad

Also, Shadow, afaik ZB Slayer is DMR start

That's what's so fucking stupid about having map/gametypes partnered like that. You can't tell whether people are voting for the gametype and map or a combination of the two or in relation to the other shit options on the screen. Argh fuck I could write a book on how Reach blows ass.

I mean they insist they can tell the difference but given what I've seen the voting options haven't fucking changed.

I'm still not entirely sure why Squad Slayer was removed.

I'm glad 343 is carrying the torch of zero transparency in matchmaking decisions. Who is doing what, and why? Maybe they realized what Bungie realized long ago, you poop out a couple podcasts a year, slap "Love, Bungie" on a Chinese water bottle and sell it to fans, and bam, now you can excuse all nonsensical decisions by reiterating a faux commitment to the Halo community.
I'm a card-carrying member of the BDF, but this made me chuckle. Sometimes your posts irk me, but sometimes they're pretty amusing.

zap

I could have sworn I've played games with AR starts.

Hmm, maybe I am wrong, it's been a long time since I have ventured in there. Ugh, that 4 shot pistol spam still haunts me.

One thing that Halo 4 is going to solve (which was touched on on HaloGAF Radio) is the situation where we have to vote between AR starts on a good map, and BR/DMR starts on a terrible map.

We only will be voting for the map - now that we can pick our own starting weapons :)

789shadow

Banned
Hmm, maybe I am wrong, it's been a long time since I have ventured in there. Ugh, that 4 shot pistol spam still haunts me.

One thing that Halo 4 is going to solve (which was touched on on HalGAF Radio) is the situation where we have to vote between AR starts on a good map, and BR/DMR starts on a terrible map.

We only will be voting for the map - now that we can pick our own starting weapons :)

I can't wait to start with the BR/DMR ALL THE TIME.

Havok

I could have sworn I've played games with AR starts.
The only gametype in the ZB Playlist is ZB Slayer DMRs. I can't imagine that changing when they move it to the third Super Slayer slot.

No, I was thinking that not all ZB games were DMR starts.
It might have been in the TU Beta playlist, but I think that was all DMR starts as well. The only other place that ZB has ever been present is MLG, as far as I know.

The primary weapon can certainly be changed, but it hasn't ever not been a DMR to my knowledge, unless it was a low weight option in the original TU Beta list.

Edit: nope, all matchmaking ZB has been DMR start since it was introduced last October.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Me and a couple friends are playing Halo 3 customs, anyone is welcome to join. Message Nightmare22m for an invite.

feel

halogaf podcast is pretty awesome, having fun listening to it while playing Trials.

Also while listening to the part where they were talking about Trials' ghosts, I realized Duncan deleted me from his xbl friendslist.

Homeboyd

lol it's not that weird of a face. The only bizarre thing is the nose
Yeah but I didn't see a face. I thought it was some sort of bird thing with a pistol barrel for a leg. I had no idea that thing was a mouth and I certainly didn't know the shadow part was a hat. Now that I see the face, I can't unsee it. But before you told me that's what it was, I was mind fucked.

Mind blown.

halogaf podcast is pretty awesome, having fun listening to it while playing Trials.

Also while listening to the part where they were talking about Trials' ghosts, I realized Duncan deleted me from his xbl friendslist.
Can't check my list right now, but I don't recall deleting anyone in long time. Not sure how that happened, I hate to think that you're missing out on my awesome Trials ghosts...

Top Bottom