• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just finishing up right now, its actually great. Well done.

I totally need to be in a episode

Thanks!

Added to list

I just finished listening to the podcast, it was good stuff. My only criticism is that there sometimes doesn't seem to be much energy in the conversations, but I think that's more of an issue with you guys not being used to talking with each other for such a long time. So that'll be fixed by the next episode probably. Nice work!

Thanks. Bring the energy, you got it!

I totally disagree, it was a fantastic length. Perfect length even.

Thanks bro.

No way. As long as there is a reason for the content to be long and it hits the quality bar, don't cut it down. An hour is pretty restrictive to both broad and deep conversation.

Its not like the file will explode after two days, you have all of eternity to get through it.

Yea it always takes me a few days to listen to podcasts. I do think an hour would be really short. There will be short episodes where we don't have much to talk about and then there will be long ones where we can't shut the fuck up hahaha

Everyone lurks HaloGAF. I realized this after someone posted something about MLG and Sundance popped in immediately to clarify the situation.

Yea that was funny. And then in a poof a smoke he disappeared back to Reddit.

zap

Just finished listening. I really enjoyed it for the first attempt.

One thing that I would say is that the "News" segment should be first, then the community stuff, then the OT stuff last. I admit I kinda skipped a bit at the start cos I wanted to hear Halo stuff ;)

But good job guys. Lol at Steely's party, I was so confused about where the people were talking around me to start with.

Overdoziz

Banned
Thought this was known.

It is known.

iuRzSyLVVzzM8.gif

The point I was trying to make is that I'm willing to put up with Ordinance Drops and Promethean Vision if that's what it takes to get another game with the "Halo feel" I cherish.

What happens if Microsoft decides making games based on the "Halo feel" alone isn't a viable business strategy? Do I have to resort to playing Call of Duty or Gears? Do I wait until some other developer puts out a quality game that replicates Halo gameplay?

I agree with you though, if the changes are bad enough then I might not want to want to play another Halo game. It's just a matter of finding the balance - Bungie obviously thought bloom was a good way to bring something fresh to Halo. I'm not a fan of bloom but that didn't stop me from playing Reach.

The reason I came to adore Halo was the "everyone is on the same playing field" crap. Each subsequent game has added stuff that basically shat on this philosophy without at least having the option to play like old times off the bat. I don't know if I'm a minority in this but I've never been a fan of models that allow for more and more advantages. I'm thinking if that's an itch I want to scratch I'm probably gonna have to get back into old school PC shooters and say fuck it to everything else. I'm tired of the rock, paper, scissors class bullshit that plagues everything. I've never been a fan of "unlocking" stuff or having "perks." If I am alone in this then I'll just have to stop playing shit altogether because I simply don't have fun with any of that crap.

zap

Also, I agree with Hydra about Domino and Tashi sounding similar at times. I kept getting confused.

I think it's the fact we're not American

Tashi, really looking forward to getting to listen to it all; I'll have it up on HBO's Front Page first thing in the EST AM (It'll get more exposure that way). Keep up the great work! It'll definitely take some time to find that sweetspot; we are still trying to hit the mark on a consistent basis on the Waypoint Modcast. You guys have all the makings of a great one though. Good luck!

The reason I came to adore Halo was the "everyone is on the same playing field" crap. Each subsequent game has added stuff that basically shat on this philosophy without at least having the option to play like old times off the bat. I don't know if I'm a minority in this but I've never been a fan of models that allow for more and more advantages. I'm thinking if that's an itch I want to scratch I'm probably gonna have to get back into old school PC shooters and say fuck it to everything else. I'm tired of the rock, paper, scissors class bullshit that plagues everything. I've never been a fan of "unlocking" stuff or having "perks." If I am alone in this then I'll just have to stop playing shit altogether because I simply don't have fun with any of that crap.

I think most of us here have that mindset. The even playing field is what's so great about traditional Halo.

Also, I agree with Hydra about Domino and Tashi sounding similar at times. I kept getting confused.

Ha, I'm American and I kept getting them confused.

They'll be a playlist for us on H4, simply called "Halo", with the even playing field. 200 ppl playing in the afternoon

And 20 other playlists for everybody else.

Tashi

Tashi, really looking forward to getting to listen to it all; I'll have it up on HBO's Front Page first thing in the EST AM (It'll get more exposure that way). Keep up the great work! It'll definitely take some time to find that sweetspot; we are still trying to hit the mark on a consistent basis on the Waypoint Modcast. You guys have all the makings of a great one though. Good luck!

Thank you sir! I appreciate it.

I'm just tired of "class" type bullshit plaguing everything. I want to be a sniper, a rogue, a tank, a medic. Reach it's I wanna armor lock, I wanna jet pack, I wanna invis, etc. Not every fucking game needs this horse shit.

kylej

Banned
I'm just tired of "class" type bullshit plaguing everything. I want to a sniper, a rogue, a tank, a medic. Reach it's I wanna armor lock, I wanna jet pack, I wanna invis, etc. Not every fucking game needs this horse shit.

It does if you're trying to chase after COD money.

The point I was trying to make is that I'm willing to put up with Ordnance Drops and Promethean Vision if that's what it takes to get another game with the "Halo feel" I cherish.

What happens if Microsoft decides making games based on the "Halo feel" alone isn't a viable business strategy? Do I have to resort to playing Call of Duty or Gears? Do I wait until some other developer puts out a quality game that replicates Halo gameplay?

I agree with you though, if the changes are bad enough then I might not want to want to play another Halo game. It's just a matter of finding the balance - Bungie obviously thought bloom was a good way to bring something fresh to Halo. I'm not a fan of bloom but that didn't stop me from playing Reach.

Sadly that and a few other things made me play Reach a lot less, and even when I do play Reach im a more passive player. I just dont care what happens in the game but that lack of interest means I might play it like a few games once a week then not touch it again for a while.

So I guess what im trying to say is, extraneous fluff can turn me off, I agree with your main point which is that its the core which is important, but with every new addition the new features are going to heavily influence how the game plays, thats unavoidable, (some of the features already announced seem quite invasive) then the very basic base ingredients just wont work well. Weapon drops and promethean vision arguably may not be so invasive (I think that promethean vision will be) but things like recharge modifiers will be drastic.

I hope I sort of make sense? I can tell im writing badly put together incoherent junk. To make it even more coherent:

Will I be able to enjoy the good core when the toppings are rotten? Would totally different toppings which suit that base better work better? I think the changes announced almost sound like they belong to another game, and they are clearly influenced by other games, newly designed mechanics custom built for Halo might work better, but are much harder to invent.

Tashi

lol so Dax thinks I have a heavy New York accent and now the New Yorker and the Cali guy sound the same. I'm struggling to make sense of it all lol

FyreWulff

And then when games have classes they do it wrong.

I just want to be a goddamn medic. Why do I have to play as a sniper to unlock my medic tools? Why do I need to play other classes and get something like 500 kills before I get something as basic as defibs so I can actually be a fucking medic?

CyReN

Finished it finally, really liked it and good for a pilot.

Agree with bringing it down time wise to about 45 mins - 1hr.

lol so Dax thinks I have a heavy New York accent and now the New Yorker and the Cali guy sound the same. I'm struggling to make sense of it all lol
I gave off the wrong impression. I never said your accent was heavy, just that it was more noticeable in the podcast. I've played with you online and I never completely noticed it before.

Just finished listening to it. I really enjoyed it overall. When I first read it was two hours I said to myself, "Okay. That's ridiculous." Now? It's completely fine. Definitely enough content there to fill out the time.

Tashi

I gave off the wrong impression. I never said your accent was heavy just that it was more noticeable in the podcast. I've played with you online and I never completely noticed it before.

Just finished listening to it. I really enjoyed it overall. When I first read it was two hours I said to myself, "Okay. That's ridiculous." Now? It's completely fine. Definitely enough content there to fill out the time.

You hate me, don't lie! :p

Can I put my name in as a guest for a future podcast? I can provide the "Dumbass Fucking Newb" opinion.

added

I'm just tired of "class" type bullshit plaguing everything. I want to be a sniper, a rogue, a tank, a medic. Reach it's I wanna armor lock, I wanna jet pack, I wanna invis, etc. Not every fucking game needs this horse shit.
Amen.

And while I do like unlock systems/progression/customization I certainly don't need or desire it in competitive multiplayer. Campaign missions and co-op modes? Sure.

I reserve the bulk of my angst for class based games though. My choice at spawn shouldn't feel like gambling. If I pick an infantry class I WILL run into a vehicle I have no chance against. If I pick a technical/engineer class I WILL get swarmed by foot soldiers. It always sucks to run into a situation that you haven't been given a real chance to overcome.

I love Team Snipers on Headlong.

rage-face.png

Amen.

And while I do like unlock systems/progression/customization I certainly don't need or desire it in competitive multiplayer. Campaign missions and co-op modes? Sure.

I think it's useful in campaign. I'm tired of its saturation in multiplayer. It's cool that they want to explore this within their own game parameters but why the fuck did they need to force it in every possible playlist. It's like "hey you like playing without rock paper scissors and better balance, well HAHAHAH FUCK YOU."

How many of you actually own Trials Evoultion? I might buy it if I know I'm going to be competing against your scores past the trial stages. :^)

I do.

So good.

We'll need to schedule the podcast recording so it starts right after the drinking contest.

I thought about drinking during the podcast. Didn't end up doing it.

Hurry up and watch GoT already.

Seriously, any HaloGAF regular has already seen half the damn show in GIF forum just from the HaloGAF OT's, might as well actually watch it.

Tashi

How long does one need to be vested enough to apply for guest status on the GAFcast? Lol

(Anytime, Stalker. Bigger stuff is bigger stuff <3)

Ya gotta quit HBO. It's the only way.

It is known

:p

Added both of you guys.

List is quite long now btw lol.

He's from HBO, he'll die.

Lol sorry had to. <3

No offence taken... sadly, no allegiance to any community will be enough to keep me from getting my ass handed to me in Halo. I adore it to death, just doesn't mean I'm actually that good. :p So I figure initiation would end up taking place about 4-7 seconds in.

Top Bottom