• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Gui_PT

Just watching Desperate Housewives (blame the Mrs) and HOLY SHIT IT'S NATHAN FILLION

don%2527t_have_a_girlfriend_05.jpg

Brain-dead executives are the problem.
Well, it could be other developers, not just exec led too. Holmes etc may think it's a good direction for the series.

Having everyone want to come to the studio to do Halo makes me really interested in employee retention post-Halo 4 and what big changes (if any) occur.

Fuchsdh

Well, it could be other developers, not just exec led too. Holmes etc may think it's a good direction for the series.

Having everyone want to come to the studio to do Halo makes me really interested in employee retention post-Halo 4 and what big changes (if any) occur.

Well, precisely. Assuming that the impression 343i gives off is correct--that almost everyone is there because they want to work on Halo--then look at it this way:

this is what someone or more likely a group of people think about how Halo could improve.

That doesn't mean they're right or wrong, just that they're approaching it the same way any other fan looks at a game and wonders what you could make better or add.

please explain my arena ranking, i am honestly confused
arena also needs some major fixing in matching players. hard to move up when your team is filled with steel and you are playing against gold/onyx

past 5 seaons (Kills/Assists/Deaths/Win%)

S11: 626/130/407/65% --> Silver 10%
S10: 475/138/546/48% --> Gold 60%
S9: 468/99/323/43% --> Bronze 90%
S8: 552/142/458/72% --> Gold 35%
S7: 549/166/595/65% --> Gold 30%

zap

please explain my arena ranking, i am honestly confused
arena also needs some major fixing in matching players. hard to move up when your team is filled with steel and you are playing against gold/onyx

past 5 seaons (Kills/Assists/Deaths/Win%)

S11: 626/130/407/65% --> Silver 10%
S10: 475/138/546/48% --> Gold 60%
S9: 468/99/323/43% --> Bronze 90%
S8: 552/142/458/72% --> Gold 35%
S7: 549/166/595/65% --> Gold 30%

It depends on who you play against. If you win a ton of games against steel, you won't rank up as fast as if you beat some gold/onyx players.

Trueskill should (lol) give you matches against people of your skill level, the more you win the better people you should face.

It depends on who you play against. If you win a ton of games against steel, you won't rank up as fast as if you beat some gold/onyx players.

Trueskill should (lol) give you matches against people of your skill level, the more you win the better people you should face.

i think thats where the problem lies. trueskill sucks. i could be dominating against silver and under, yet that is who i play against. or better yet, i play against high level players but my team is littered with bronze and steel

I imagine early H4 conversations went something like this

MS: Now can we get that, uh *checks notebook* FAMAS gun thing in Halo 4?

Frankie: *eyes roll out of head, passes out, slumps to the ground*

MS Exec: How is Halo 4 coming along Frank?

Frankie: Good, we're ready to reveal it to the world soon.

MS Exec: I had an idea the other day Frank, what if we put into the game an ability to see through walls? What do you think Frank?

Frankie: I don't think that really suits our design ethic, sir.

MS Exec: Sure it does Frank, hey why don't you make it a perk?

Frankie: But we don't have perks in the game sir.

MS Exec: You do now.

Frankie: Errrr....

MS Exec: What should we call it? How about calling it the farsight perk, pretty cool, appeals to teenagers don't you think?

Frankie: I think that's copyrighted already sir...also about the per—

MS Exec: I got it, forerunner vision, ship it Frank. I won't be able to play the game, but I expect it in there. I have also some other ideas for perks...

Frankie: Please tell me... 
(in his head)

i think thats where the problem lies. trueskill sucks. i could be dominating against silver and under, yet that is who i play against. or better yet, i play against high level players but my team is littered with bronze and steel

This has happened to me so many times. Just as you're facing onyx guys, you get these horrible teammates that will lose the match for you. And of course after losing to onyx players, you have to play against gold and silver guys again.

That doesn't mean they're right or wrong, just that they're approaching it the same way any other fan looks at a game and wonders what you could make better or add.
Oh of course. No one wants to make a bad game. They may just want to make a game that's different to what we'd like.

MS Exec: I had an idea the other day Frank, theres this guy who is known to have worked on Halo in the past, you need more staff?

Frankie: Sure.

MS Exec: Brilliant, his name is Sage and he begun work yesterday, he tells me he has already made a ton of fixes to the game.

NOOOOOOOO!

And yet "sucky" Trueskill takes those things into account. Your shift in TrueSkill value is relative to the quality of the skill match. If a team of 1% Onyxes beat you and a few silvers, your TrueSkill isn't going to have a significant decrease.

It's one thing to hear people erroneously complain about Trueskill "sucking" because of the skill matching in Reach's loosely restricted playlists, but to hear someone blame their Silver rating on it is just too damn much.

And yet "sucky" Trueskill takes those things into account. Your shift in TrueSkill value is relative to the quality of the skill match. If a team of 1% Onyxes beat you and a few silvers, your TrueSkill isn't going to have a significant decrease.

It's one thing to hear people erroneously complain about Trueskill "sucking" because of the skill matching in Reach's loosely restricted playlists, but to hear someone blame their Silver rating on it is just too damn much.

if i can continuously go postive 6 and above, that means the competition is too easy and that i should be playing harder people. i would judge myself to be an above average player.

i dont blame my silver on it. i will get to my gold soon enough. it is just irritating getting teammates who cannot play at the appropriate level. sure, if i deserve a silver, i expect to at least have people who can play competitively against other silvers and not go -10 round after round.

Overdoziz

Banned

It's one thing to hear people erroneously complain about Trueskill "sucking" because of the skill matching in Reach's loosely-restricted playlists, but to hear someone blame their Silver rating on it is just too damn much.
A few days ago Juices, Kyle and I were playing Arena. We were all Gold and our random was some guy in Bronze. So sweet.

if i can continuously go postive 6 and above, that means the competition is too easy and that i should be playing harder people. i would judge myself to be an above average player.

You (and many others) lack a fundamental understanding of how Trueskill works. It's not there to provide perfect matches. It doesn't process your game stats. It uses sound statistical rules to accurately rank you among all other players solely through your wins, losses, and the Trueskill values of your teammates and opponents at the time of your matches.

TrueSkill isn't optimized for Halo.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

all of yesterday, arena had a decent population at 1600 (sounds pathetic, but whatever). it beat out mlg, super slayer, and zb slayer. it most likely beat out a significant portion of anniversary too.
That's pretty good. I can't remember the last time I saw it over 1000. I usually see MLG and Super Slayer around 1500-2000, and ZB Slayer at around 500.

You (and many others) lack a fundamental understanding of how Trueskill works. It's not there to provide perfect matches. It doesn't process your game stats. It uses sound statistical rules to accurately rank you among all other players solely through your wins, losses, and the Trueskill values of your teammates and opponents at the time of your matches.
I understand how it works, but I just find it shitty. At one point I was at 75% win in arena yet they see it fit to play me against low ranked opponents.
Yet a couple of seasons ago, and I was winning at 45% and was being matched up against high gold and onyx from the start

Karl2177

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

TrueSkill is an overarching system for all genres of games. For Halo, it's more than just win/loss to prove that someone is actually good. Look at thee henery for example; he plays many games, posts high scores, and yet loses because it says he's an inconsistent player and pairs him up with consistently poor players(and the only reason it says he is inconsistent is because sometimes it pairs him on a good team, sometimes the opposite). I've said in the past that it really needs to have a system specifically tailored for Halo, but right now the biggest hurdle is griefers. And trust me when I say I've thought of ways to combat it, but it's one type of poor behavior followed by another.

Or Black Ops is a better game. I was really disappointed with MW3 but love Black Ops.
*also loves living dead

There hasn't been a good CoD aside from 4. Playing 4 reminds me how terribad every iteration afterwards was.

Go back to halo 2 system
Lord no. The biggest griefing possible is network hackers, and this is exactly what happened to Halo 2 and even later on Halo 3.

TrueSkill is an overarching system for all genres of games. For Halo, it's more than just win/loss to prove that someone is actually good. Look at thee henery for example; he plays many games, posts high scores, and yet loses because it says he's an inconsistent player and pairs him up with consistently poor players(and the only reason it says he is inconsistent is because sometimes it pairs him on a good team, sometimes the opposite). I've said in the past that it really needs to have a system specifically tailored for Halo, but right now the biggest hurdle is griefers. And trust me when I say I've thought of ways to combat it, but it's one type of poor behavior followed by another.
Go back to halo 2 system

343 could make a Halo game that nobody here plays and still create one of the best-selling, most-played Halo games. Gotta remember that we are the one percent. (Of course, I'm sure there are vanilla playlists that ignore all of the things GAF is bitching about.)

Interesting, I've thought the same thing about Thee Henery, but I think our data on him is a bit skewed, it's not like he posts every postgame scoreboard, only ones with exceptionally egregious teammate performance.

The system is sound. Sure there's a lot that goes into winning and losing, but ultimately, it's the purest measure. Remember, if Thee Henery is getting teamed up with awful TrueSkill values, the outcome of the match will weigh lightly on his TrueSkill.

343 could make a Halo game that nobody here plays and still create one of the best-selling, most-played Halo games. Gotta remember that we are the one percent. (Of course, I'm sure there are vanilla playlists that ignore all of the things GAF is bitching about.)
We are 1%? WTF.

Are you going to play today?

Karl2177

Interesting, I've thought the same thing about Thee Henery, but I think our data on him is a bit skewed, it's not like he posts every postgame scoreboard, only ones with exceptionally egregious teammate performance.

The system is sound. Sure there's a lot that goes into winning and losing, but ultimately, it's the purest measure. Remember, if Thee Henery is getting teamed up with awful TrueSkill values, the outcome of the match will weigh lightly on his TrueSkill.

While I've been working on the stats collecting, I decided to go more in-depth into certain players(you, Fyrewulff, Team Jesus, our MLG players, myself, and a few others-I'm around 'N' by GAF names alphabetically). You play consistently well, and it shows by regularly matching with competent players and opponents. You also go in as a group quite a bit, which I think helps you play consistently better. On the other hand, I'm around 50/50 when playing solo or in a group. I've posted a fair share of games that I had piss poor teammates, but I've also posted 50-49 games where it was as close as you could be. It could be because bad sticks out more than good does, but I feel I've been paired up with poor teammates more than I have good ones.

It works, but there is a better system. The main problem is that it is yet to be developed.

FyreWulff

Was trying to work out some stress, so I loaded up Rock Band and dove into the clothing/instrument editor.

Behold, the Tashitar (only plays three chords) and the Devotee.

Uu6Gk.jpg

I'll try doing other people's emblems too.

Was trying to work out some stress, so I loaded up Rock Band and dove into the clothing/instrument editor.

Behold, the Tashitar (only plays three chords) and the Devotee.

Uu6Gk.jpg

I'll try doing other people's emblems too.

Holy shit! That's some Forza level class right there!

Me and Demon were waiting on you yesterday Hyper, and you never showed up, ya jerk
I don't really know but I guess Hitmonchan and me gonna play later a few games.
I'm sorry but it was 6am for me.

I might go to the beach today, but I'll hop online now for some Doubles action.
Just send me a tweet or a message via facebook when you want to play a few games.

HaloGAF? Play Halo? Hahaha, surely you jest.
JUWnj.gif
I know you try to be funny but that only works with customs.

GhaleonEB

My salary does not reflect my status in the 1%. I am disappoint.

Ken

Going to play Reach in like, 15 minutes if anyone wants to play. Haven't played since November last year so I'm probably terrible. I'm also level 1/rank 1 or whatever so hopefully it won't make matchmaking search slow. Also, huge thanks to Hitmon for the Anni. Map code. :D

GT: CAPCPOM

Top Bottom