• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

m23

I'll be on tonight late after Game of Thrones if anyone interested.

Thanks man.

I'm hoping to get someone from here to go on the show from a more casual aspect of the game for an episode, we want all pov when discussing stuff.

Yeah it would be cool to see what an average Halo player thinks about some of those topics. I'm not an MLG player by any stretch, nor am I a "casual" player, but it would be cool to see someone like that discuss certain issues with a MLG players.

By the way when can we expect the next episode, after 343's podcast I presume?

I like Boardwalk.

1329179424_mj-laughing1.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When I'm down by 20 points, I get bored. But when it's 1v3, I love seeing if I could hold my own. Is that just a me thing?
No, I totally love it. One of my favorite memories in Reach is when I went solo against a team of four in SWAT on Countdown. They were totally arrogant, teabagging and talking shit. Two of my team mates quit, leaving me with one team mate... who was AFK. So, I hung out by the AFK kid, trying to protect him but also using him as an advanced warning for when the other team was coming. Eventually the AFK kid quit, too, and even with all the points they got from my idiot team mates, I was able to beat them.

Then the best guy on their team challenged me to a 1v1 and slaughtered me, haha.

GhaleonEB

I really felt like from day 1 with their lack of updates on FF, they didn't really care and it wouldn't be returning in 4. Not that I'm mad about any of it.

I'm worried about how Reach's playlist management - and not just Firefight - might foreshadow Halo 4. It's inexplicable.

ElRenoRaven

Why do people say a map is bad if part of it goes unused?

It's not so much that a part goes unused. It's when a large chunk of it goes unused that there is a design flaw. Sword Base is a prime example. Probably 80 to 90 percent of the fighting is focused on that top floor lift area. The rest of the map is a ghost town most of the time. That's not a good thing too.

ZalinKrow

I can't think of any particular area of Boardwalk that goes unused... It's not my favourite map, but it's one of the better ones for me lately.

ElRenoRaven

I can't think of any particular area of Boardwalk that goes unused... It's not my favourite map, but it's one of the better ones for me lately.

I'd agree with you there. That's why I myself like Boardwalk. Could use a bit more cover in the center and open up the sniper area a bit but overall I do like the map.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well Frankie did say it feels like Halo. Can't have a Halo without bad playlist management.
As long as I can play Shotty Snipers in half of my Team Slayer games on launch day, it'll feel like Halo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I saw no one did your's, monster, so here you go: speedo Spartan.

BoH3y.png

Sweet! Thanks man, I'll be using that.

Why do people say a map is bad if part of it goes unused?
As it was said, when maps have large sections that go unused, certain areas become overcrowded fighting areas. Sword Base is a good example. So is Boardwalk and Hemorrhage.

These 2 maps suffer from the problem of having an empty middle, forcing most players to keep to the sides or in their own bases. Venturing out into the middle just turns yourself into sniper/DMR bait. Although this is a lot more prevalent in Hemorrhage.

As it was said, when maps have large sections that go unused, certain areas become overcrowded fighting areas. Sword Base is a good example. So is Boardwalk and Hemorrhage.

These 2 maps suffer from the problem of having an empty middle, forcing most players to keep to the sides or in their own bases. Venturing out into the middle just turns yourself into sniper/DMR bait. Although this is a lot more prevalent in Hemorrhage.

And red team's base is way better than blue team's base. Red team gets the high ground, more cover and an easier team to the rockets. Blue team gets an easy shotgun...

Also jetpacks are really bad on that map.

CyReN

Boardwalk reminds me of Relic from Halo 2, a lot of similar elements. Not the biggest fan of the maps but like it on team snipers a lot.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm worried about how Reach's playlist management - and not just Firefight - might foreshadow Halo 4. It's inexplicable.
343 Industries is again bringing Halo to the forefront of the online space. With Halo 4, the playlists update themselves. Better with Kinect, Halo 4 will listen and log complaints while in game. In a revolutionary system 343 is calling, "Up to you" the community is the playlist manager. Say things like, "Why the fuck are there rockets on this map?!" Or, "Holy shit this map blows" and after enough complaints are logged the game will adjust the playlist. No more waiting for us to do the work. It's, "Up to you"

G17

People's favorite Reach maps all seem to be ones where there is more open space and room to move around vs. those maps with narrow hallways where the OP? nades have more influence. (ie. Countdown/Uncaged)

TrueSkill is an overarching system for all genres of games. For Halo, it's more than just win/loss to prove that someone is actually good. Look at thee henery for example; he plays many games, posts high scores, and yet loses because it says he's an inconsistent player and pairs him up with consistently poor players(and the only reason it says he is inconsistent is because sometimes it pairs him on a good team, sometimes the opposite). I've said in the past that it really needs to have a system specifically tailored for Halo, but right now the biggest hurdle is griefers. And trust me when I say I've thought of ways to combat it, but it's one type of poor behavior followed by another.

Luckily for trueskill, I've 'gone shit' lately so it's pairing me like for like at least!

I got paired against and with this player the other day and I can say with absolute certainty that he is the best player I've ever seen in Team Snipers.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Career/HaloReach/ServiceRecord?gamerTag=Firm Base

Could not hit him, he didn't miss a shot, ever. My host too so no network chicanery.

GhaleonEB

The extended intro then cutting to the high-contrast gameplay in the middle of the interview was hilarious.
People's favorite Reach maps all seem to be ones where there is more open space and room to move around vs. those maps with narrow hallways where the OP? nades have more influence. (ie. Countdown/Uncaged)

It just occurred to me that I don't even have a favorite map in Reach. There are no BTB maps or any others I actually look forward to playing on, just a big swath I hope not to.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's similar to Narrows, so of course it's shitty. Kingdom is OK, and I would hate Select more if things like Synapse and Enclosed weren't there. The voting limitations are a bit unfortunate because of the amount of bad maps being involved (remembers Smashed being in Halo 3's Ranked Slayer lol). Forged maps (that aren't done by MLG) in the primary ranked slayer playlist is usually a big no no, as we've seen with these past two games.

I wonder if 343 plans on updating the Arena or Team Objective maps any time soon. All we've gotten were Heavies, Infection and some minor additions in 4v4 Slayer.
Here's my main issue if you're playing Red on Select(shitty cellphone pics ftw):

Blue:

9OxhF.jpg

On Blue:

fM9q1.jpg

Shooting Blue:

QGrBV.jpg

Not forgetting to mention that your entire HUD is Blue!

Synapse is also shitty due to its extra basic, left, right, occasional center all to easy spawn control.

You know how they said there are going to be moments in the campaign where you put down your gun and the gameplay is more movement based?
Like the elevator shaft experience, etc.

I wonder if they are going to allow us to create our own maps using that type of gameplay...

Indiana Jones 3.0

I was thinking... Spartan OPs presents a unique opportunity. Not only could it tell the original, standalone story of USNC Infinity (which also eventually ties into Halo 4's plot directly), and the missions that the Spartan IVs were deployed on, it could also simply have 'historic battles' for 'training reasons'. Imagine if via DLC they added missions that took place back on Earth, Reach, Harvest, etc which allowed you to participate in unique locales and missions that tie to the extended fiction. They also could consider some of MC's missions part of the "historic battles", remaking popular levels but altering them to be something unique at the same time. It honestly seems like an incredibly flexible idea that really could offer a unique experience.

There's a lot of guff in that story, but I am amused that they used a quote from an interview with a transmedia biz guy, asking about transmedia biz to make me seem like a bean counter. The French Cryptum quote was a local PR firm finding out false information from lord knows what website.

Whether is is happening or not, I would love if you guys could eventually talk about Halo movie, either laying it to rest or giving us hope. That is one of those things I would love to see come to life on day, so its hard when it falls off the face of the earth. Man, I feel like both the Halo movie and JP4 will never happen.. :lol

GG demon. I had fun playing Halo: Reach, which is really an accomplishment in itself.

Yup, GG's last night, we conquered Reach for a short but glorious time.

ElRenoRaven

Oh that reminds me. Before going to sleep last night I had an epiphany on why I liked Metroid Fusion so much.

It's very much like Halo. Not even kidding. Think about this. You're a super soldier in this case Samus who's a bounty hunter. But she goes to this station and the parasite she deals with is the X parasite. Now you may say but that don't sound like Halo. Ah but think about the X and what they do.

X are capable of infecting other organisms and mimicking their prey's DNA and memories. They do this by infecting the organism's nervous system where they then start reproducing at an exponential rate, killing the host creature in the process. Once that is accomplished, the X absorb the DNA of their host and are then able to use it to mimic their prey perfectly. Once they inhabit the body of their victim, one of the following three occurrences takes place:

The X mutate their host and assume complete

Sure it's not exactly like the flood but it's very flood like you can't deny. It's kind of a cross between the flood and invasion of the body snatchers. But yea that's why I think I liked Metroid Fusion so much. That and the gameplay of course lol.

Karl2177

Luckily for trueskill, I've 'gone shit' lately so it's pairing me like for like at least!

I got paired against and with this player the other day and I can say with absolute certainty that he is the best player I've ever seen in Team Snipers.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/Career/HaloReach/ServiceRecord?gamerTag=Firm Base

Could not hit him, he didn't miss a shot, ever. My host too so no network chicanery.

Or it's finally saying you're consistently good. As for that player, his snipe headshot rate is insane(70.95%), and higher than anyone in HaloGAF*(highest is Krispy; 70.80%). What really gets me is his Sniper Spree retention rate. He has an 18% chance of keeping a Sharpshooter from a Sniper Spree; a 22% chance of keeping a Be the Bullet from a Sharpshooter; and a 4% chance of a Be the Bullet from getting a Sniper Spree. This is 10 times higher than anyone in HaloGAF*.

*with my non-complete stats up to Nutter

Or it's finally saying you're consistently good. As for that player, his snipe headshot rate is insane(70.95%), and higher than anyone in HaloGAF*(highest is Krispy; 70.80%). What really gets me is his Sniper Spree retention rate. He has an 18% chance of keeping a Sharpshooter from a Sniper Spree; a 22% chance of keeping a Be the Bullet from a Sharpshooter; and a 4% chance of a Be the Bullet from getting a Sniper Spree. This is 10 times higher than anyone in HaloGAF*.

*with my non-complete stats up to Nutter

He also only plays snipers.
I went back 30 pages, all the way to January, and 98% of all his games are in Team Snipers.
And it continued the same trend after that.
I hope he is good after all of that practice!

But that is quite impressive.

TheOddOne

I was thinking... Spartan OPs presents a unique opportunity. Not only could it tell the original, standalone story of USNC Infinity (which also eventually ties into Halo 4's plot directly), and the missions that the Spartan IVs were deployed on, it could also simply have 'historic battles' for 'training reasons'. Imagine if via DLC they added missions that took place back on Earth, Reach, Harvest, etc which allowed you to participate in unique locales and missions that tie to the extended fiction. They also could consider some of MC's missions part of the "historic battles", remaking popular levels but altering them to be something unique at the same time. It honestly seems like an incredibly flexible idea that really could offer a unique experience.
SOLD.

I wonder what the Spartan Ops story is going to be about?
A soldier who is having trouble discerning what is real and what is Infinity simulation?
Infinception.

m23

I wonder if we'll see the Rookie from ODST show up in Halo 4 as a Spartan 4 along with Buck and the others. That would be pretty cool.

Top Bottom