• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

m23

What would be the ideal enemy?

I hear GAF praising elites all the time...

I really hope we get a chance to fight the Prometheans. Not sure if its spoiler to talk about them, but for those of you who have read the forerunner books and seen the terminals in Anniversary, you should know what I'm talking about. They seem like real badasses who would easily kick an elites ass.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Next armor for Master Chief in Halo 5, with a lot more polygons and details.

tumblr_m3vnilWADs1rp1szlo1_500.jpg

I wanted this for Reach and I want it for Halo 4: we must be able to look like Shredder from TMNT: Ooze.

GhaleonEB

Makes sense for me, If they are forerunner

Builder
Monitor
Watcher
Crawler
Sentinel
Enforcer
Constructor
Librarian

it could also be how the Flood got their name.

Yeah. Same naming methodology applies to objects (Halo, Shield World, Ark). Name by function.

I mean they could go with the Oogy-Boogy, but I like the non nonsense nomenclature. You know just from the name what their role is.

FyreWulff

First person to answer this wins a choice of either a Cortana Avatar Chip or an Avatar Energy Sword.

What soda brand sponsored the free release of the Halo 2 maps?

Computron

Hooray! I am done with finals!

RFMcu.jpg

Tomorrow is the day.
I am going to send this out as a PM tomorrow as well.

Right now I am in the process of getting a Voice Chat server up and running with dedicated hosting.

The only problem is that microsoft updated GFWL (Xbox live for PC) and that broke the in-game voice chat, so this will be done with another, external program.

I am still figuring out which program, but they all work from the PC with the Xbox 360 Mics, even the wireless one's if you got a receiver, and many have apps you can use on your iPhones and Androids if you don't have a headset or can't/don't want to use one on your pc.

Instructions:
SbxqR.png

ROLL CALL!

Vlad356 (That's Me, your host)
Wwm0nkey
Mastrbiggy
Rickenslacker
NullPointer
Franklinator
Zap
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Woorloog
Boomwood
Recarpo
Zeouterlimits
Kibbles
Silly.Mikey
Havok
Blamite
StalkerUKCG

And another squad's worth of players from various H2v Communities.

I need you guys to tell me what game types, weapon loadouts and maps you would like to play and other suggestions.

This way I can set it all up so we can get in the game ASAP.

I suggest a playlist with a mix of Objective Big Team on the Vista exclusive and Stock/DLC One sided maps, Some even sided BTB as well as some FFA on medium sized and large maps. I dont have any weapon load outs picked out yet, or party game-types like zombies or POT but those are possible.

We can do some smaller 4v4s later in smaller parties.

Woorloog

Banned

Wohoo!
And now i need to find out (again) what's CST compared to Finland's time... 6-8 hours i guess.
I'll say this now but i don't think i'll be playing but a few games as my laptop will very likely overheat if i play any longer, Halo 2 Vista uses CPU a lot more than some games for reason or other.

EDIT Loadouts: BR start with some alternative weapon, reasonable amount of grenades. Would prefer as vanilla Halo 2 as possible.

Havok

I need you guys to tell me what game types, weapon loadouts and maps you would like to play and other suggestions.

This way I can set it all up so we can get in the game ASAP.

I suggest a playlist with a mix of Objective Big Team on the Vista exclusive and Stock/DLC One sided maps, Some even sided BTB as well as some FFA on medium sized and large maps. I dont have any weapon load outs picked out yet, or party game-types like zombies or POT but those are possible.

We can do some smaller 4v4s later in smaller parties.
8v8
Containment - Multi Flag, Neutral Bomb
Waterworks - Multi Bomb, Neutral Flag
Coagulation - Multi Flag, Multi Bomb, Neutral Bomb, Gulch Wars
Terminal - One Bomb
Relic - One Flag
Headlong - One Bomb, Land Grab

4v4
Ivory Tower - One Bomb Fast/Rapid Assault, One Flag Fast
Lockout - Slayer BRs, King, Oddball
Midship - Multi Bomb, Multi Flag CTF, Slayer BRs, King
Turf - 3 Plots, 1 Flag Fast, Team Duals
Warlock - Oddball, Neutral Bomb, 2 Flag, King
Zanzibar - One Flag, One Bomb
Beaver Creek - 2 Flag, Multi Bomb, King
Sanctuary - 2 Flag, Slayer BRs
Colossus - 2 Flag
Burial Mounds - One Bomb
Ascension - One Flag Fast

This is Halo 2 matchmaking nostalgia in a nutshell. Ideally everything but the smallest maps would be BR starts, some with Human Weapons on Map to eliminate the plasma pistol. I think the Vista maps are kind of awful, so I didn't include them. Slayer works well enough on any of the symmetric maps. You will need to change the default heavy vehicle to the Wraith on all those big maps except Containment, none on Headlong, none on Relic.

Woorloog

Banned
IIRC, Vanilla Halo 2 was a lot of things.

Well, i meant that no modifications to movement speed or whatever settings Halo 2 had. I don't remember anymore... Though now that i think of this, Halo 2 didn't have many settings concerning players, right? Shields and invulnerability but was there anything else?
Regardless, BR starts, default weapons on maps, need Spectre on some map.
EDIT the above list looks good.
And no District or whatever the city map in Vista version was called, it has framerate issues on my laptop (and for anyone else who has older hardware i guess), to the point it is nigh unplayable (otherwise the game works fine). Though if people want to play that, ok, i'll try dropping details to low and see if it'll help.

EDIT 2, CST is UTC -6. Finland is UTC +3 (DST). 2am... oh well. I'm awake now, i can be awake tomorrow at this time.

Computron

And no District or whatever the city map in Vista version was called, it has framerate issues on my laptop (and for anyone else who has older hardware i guess), to the point it is nigh unplayable (otherwise the game works fine).

We GOTTA play each of the new maps at least once.

I was thinking we should do some non-BR start objective games on one sided objective maps. What maps like this have decent default weapon layouts?

Woorloog

Banned
We GOTTA play the new maps at least once.

Sure, let's try them out though i doubt they're that good. Actually, i'll go try the game with lowest details right now to see if it'll help with the frigging frame rate issues...

Plasma War, let's play that on some map.
Oh and FFA Phantom Pistols on Waterworks.

EDIT will someone stream our games? Just wondering.

Havok

We GOTTA play the new maps at least once.

I was thinking we should do some non-BR start objective games on one sided objective maps. What maps like this have decent default weapon layouts?
Maybe Turf, Warlock, Ivory Tower. Midship is a no go, Plasma Rifle starts. Everything else is just asking for Halo 2-launch-playlist management-bitching trouble.

I just don't think either District or Uplift are good objective maps. They might be fine for Slayer, but they're messy as hell. District in particular...it's got so much space that I don't think should exist. Stuff like Ninja CTF might mix it up a bit, but I don't know that anybody actually liked that gametype.

EDIT will someone stream our games? Just wondering.
I will be, here.

Computron

Team BR's Lockout, done

So, smaller maps will be a challenge if everyone shows up. We may have to split into multiple lobbies.

I'm hoping everyone will stick to BTB at first with the bigger teams. It pretty difficult to get a good 8v8 game with actual teams in H2v so I hope no one is gonna be a jerk and split off to start their own MLG.

Everyone here's skill level is 'MLG pro' in Halo 2 right?

Woorloog

Banned
Ok. This time i won't be surprised... once when i playing Reach with HaloGaf, someone from the party was streaming the game. It was a bit odd see myself playing from both my TV and my laptop.

Also, tested District with low details. No difference in frame rate nor did the occasional frame rate drops vanish. This is only an issue on District, no other map has this on my laptop.

And i really cannot play but a few games, playing Halo 2 Vista a few minutes makes the CPU run rather hot. I suppose i could let this thing cool every few games, wouldn't be nice to drop from a game due my laptop overheating. (Happened already today, i was playing Tiberian Sun... i don't understand how TS can stress this laptop so much...)

Everyone here's skill level is 'MLG pro' in Halo 2 right?

Uh, no? My skill level on Halo 2 is about "total noob", as i haven't played it that much (multiplayer that is, i have no idea how many times i've played the campaign, too much that's for sure). But Halos are similar enough it is easy and fast to adapt.

Getting a virus warning from this page

Is it some ad? I'm not getting anything. EDIT double checked, no warnings for me.

Havok

Also, tested District with low details. No difference in frame rate nor did the occasional frame rate drops vanish. This is only an issue on District, no other map has this on my laptop.
Had this same issue. Ended up downloading an external framerate limiter, turning on triple buffering and forcing vsync in the driver. Only that combination fixed it.

Shadders

They don't even look alike.

Well.. no.. but nothing in the trailer looks identical to anything in the games today. It has a similar form factor, it's hunched, looks feral... they both crawl. Also, the only image we have of the H4 Crawler is very low res and blurry. I think they look fairly similar tbh.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Well.. no.. but nothing in the trailer looks identical to anything in the games today. It has a similar form factor, it's hunched, looks feral... they both crawl. Also, the only image we have of the H4 Crawler is very low res and blurry. I think they look fairly similar tbh.

The older creatures are bipeds, the new one is not. They look nothing alike. =P

Shadders

I was thinking they had a single hind leg/tail.. I guess the other back leg could be in shadow.

This is how my brain had interpreted it:

WkwwW.jpg

Halo 2 thing that I can't participate in

Yeah... my copy still hasn't arrived despite my ordering it weeks ago - love being Canadian some times.

Hopefully this Halo 2 Vista thing becomes a trend.

--

Loving all the speculation on that blurry-ass image. I don't see what you guys are seeing at all.

Computron

Yeah... my copy still hasn't arrived despite my ordering it weeks ago - love being Canadian some times.

Hopefully this Halo 2 Vista thing becomes a trend.

--

Loving all the speculation on that blurry-ass image. I don't see what you guys are seeing at all.

Me and woorloog are having fun on Ascension.

kylej

Banned
I feel like the maps have become more and more cluttered with bull shit. Intricate designs on the walls, little furniture, pipes and computers and screens and all types of bullshit where my grenades love to get stuck.

fortunately 343 seems to have learned from the mistakes of the pa-

halo-4-cyclops.jpg

1iDIn(3).gif

fortunately 343 seems to have learned from the mistakes of the pa-

halo-4-cyclops.jpg

1iDIn(3).gif

Yeah... I don't know about that map just yet. I mean, sure it looks pretty, I guess (never really liked that look, personally), but I still think it might be too distracting to say the least.

Wraparound looks to be more what I like, but I get that not everyone is the same.

Top Bottom