• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

CyReN

Has it been brought up but with the different patterns of colors how does it work in things like Team Slayer, do the colors just correspond with those (red vs blue) and the patterns stay the same?

Trey

You know there will be people who will do it.

Smart business decision, then.

His point is the same as Franklinator's (I think) in that it's sort of ridiculous that just because I didn't buy Halo 4 at a certain store, I don't get all of the content that's on the disc that I paid for.

Comes down to what it came down to before: is the value of the package worth the price and your time?

Not saying that the stance is irrational. It's a matter of principle, I understand.

Has it been brought up but with the different patterns of colors how does it work in things like Team Slayer, do the colors just correspond with those (red vs blue) and the patterns stay the same?

My guess(/hope) would be that the primary color of your armor changes to team color, and the "pattern" stays whatever color you chose for it.

That might be way too distracting though, especially on stuff like the forest armor. So I dunno.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm considering not even buying the game. Death of Halo, right here. I can see the reviews right now.

"Fantastic game, but it was missing half a dozen skins, so this anti-consumer piece of shit gets a 3/10. Fuck this generation"

It's not even really about the skins. It's the principle of the matter. It's pretty weak that there's content on something I paid for that I can't have. Even then, I'm not that particularly upset. I do see how some people, for example Stalker, are though.

Apologies for the derail as well.

edit: I should also add that the only thing about preorder/exclusive items that really irks me is the early access to specializations with the LE. I don't think MS would go so far as to offer retailer exclusive, non cosmetic items, but we'll see I guess.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Agree. Reach was very "gritty" looking and what we've seen of Halo 4 so far seems very clean, almost sterile. It's a nice change of pace.
Reach's menus were leagues beyond the other games though, but I do hope they go even cleaner. I loved the panning artwork behind the panes, but in the long run it became an eyesore. White or tones of grey would look elegant as fuck, even with that subtle grid texture.

It's not even really about the skins. It's the principle of the matter. It's pretty weak that there's content on something I paid for that I can't have. Even then, I'm not that particularly upset. I do see how some people, for example Stalker, are though.

Nah, I get it. Shit, I'm starting a petition right now. You guys can PM me for details later.

TRUE Halo fans only, btw.

Reach's menus were leagues beyond the other games though, but I do hope they go even cleaner. I loved the panning artwork behind the panes, but in the long run it became an eyesore. White or tones of grey would look elegant as fuck, even with that subtle grid texture.

Yeah, I really liked the reach artwork behind the menus, but the shades of gray got very old after a while. Here's hoping Halo 4's menus are a bit more colorful.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Also, no way in hell armor skins will carry through to team games. They cover over half your body.

I'd personally love it, but 90% of everyone would bitch.

I'm trying not to be overly negative here, but having multiple retailer exclusives makes me sad. I was okay with one store having a retailer exclusive, but now I feel like I won't be able to have the most complete edition of a Halo game.

I can understand the philosophies behind the decision:

1) People can now choose the store that will have the lowest price or give the most benefits of purchasing from that store without feeling left out.

2) More people will pre-order Halo 4.

Ultimately, these are skins, and the likelihood of me using them one month outside of launch are pretty slim. I guess I'm just thankful that it's only skins and not skulls.

TCKaos

Well, for me, it's not a disc DLC issue. It's an issue of completeness. I purchased the Legandary Edition of Reach from Gamestop so that I could have everything I could possibly get. I got all of the relevant achievements on Waypoint, I redeemed my Halo PC CD Key on Bungie.net, I played Halo 2 on the last day, I had Bungie Pro. The only thing I could have that I do not is the Marathon flair, and that's because I didn't particularly see importance in something that I only see in a menu.

For this, it's different. This is my SPARTAN. I want him to be complete. What if I don't use the armor? I still want to have it, because having it at the very least gives me the option of using it in the future if I do ever desire to do so.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I plan on getting my copy of Halo 4 at Gamestop. If there's anyone that's getting it elsewhere that wants the Gamestop skin but can't, let me know, I'll trade with you.

Also, when do we get these codes? I'd assume when you actually pick up the game.

Halo 5 will have pre-order exclusive perks. Calling it.
How many dicks will you consume if you're wrong?

Karl2177

My Atomic emblem better be in Halo 4. I submitted that for Reach, and screamed like a little girl when it was actually in the game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Also, no way in hell armor skins will carry through to team games. They cover over half your body.

I'd personally love it, but 90% of everyone would bitch.

I'd be down with patterns being available in team games. Base color for everyone is red or blue (etc) and they can have a white pattern.

FyreWulff

Well, for me, it's not a disc DLC issue. It's an issue of completeness. I purchased the Legandary Edition of Reach from Gamestop so that I could have everything I could possibly get. I got all of the relevant achievements on Waypoint, I redeemed my Halo PC CD Key on Bungie.net, I played Halo 2 on the last day, I had Bungie Pro. The only thing I could have that I do not is the Marathon flair, and that's because I didn't particularly see importance in something that I only see in a menu.

For this, it's different. This is my SPARTAN. I want him to be complete. What if I don't use the armor? I still want to have it, because having it at the very least gives me the option of using it in the future if I do ever desire to do so.

I did that too. Although it was more "this is Bungie's last Halo game, might as well go all out", but I managed to get all the nameplates, and all the bonus armor (easy since it was from Gamestop only), with the only thing left for me to get is the Skullface and the last two armor effects. I'll be able to say for once that I've gotten 100% of the content of a Halo game.

On a side note, I believe the later DLC of Gears of War 3 gave you the "preorder only" player skins. I seem to remember the Savage Kantus from Amazon, at least, was unlocked for you if you bought the last DLC pack.

If they're already planning 3 DLC packs, they may have similar plans in store for the Halo 4 retailer bonuses. Hopefully it's more Reach and not Gears though in terms of the armory. Reach just hid the retailer/version exclusive stuff from the Armory and didn't count it against your %. Gears of War 3 reminds you constantly that you didn't get the skins.

Oh, and if these are off for certain modes, it looks like Megalo (if it is there) finally can modify specific player model parameters. Hopefully they actually use this for something interesting, like giving everyone a camo pattern in SWAT.

senador

Banned
Hmm many games in a later update or DLC usually drops the preorder exclusives. Pretty sure BF3 and others did. If this turns out to be the case then I'm OK with it.

Oh, and if these are off for certain modes, it looks like Megalo (if it is there) finally can modify specific player model parameters. Hopefully they actually use this for something interesting, like giving everyone a camo pattern in SWAT.
ODST themed gametype?

ALL OVA MAH FACE!!!1!!

Yeah I hoping the skin stays in action and the primary color just goes to team colors and secondary to white, like the stripes we have seen in some screens:

xcYYc.jpg

On a side note, I believe the later DLC of Gears of War 3 gave you the "preorder only" player skins. I seem to remember the Savage Kantus from Amazon, at least, was unlocked for you if you bought the last DLC pack.
You get the model but the skins are different so for example if you have trashball cole from the beta unlock he has blue pants the one added via dlc has brown pants.

TCKaos

I did that too. Although it was more "this is Bungie's last Halo game, might as well go all out"...

Very much, this was one of the great motivators for me.

Also, I'll be fine if I could get the costumes later for a decent price, but I don't want it going the Gears 3 route of "Here, buy this massive pack of skins from launch for $45."

As long as WolfGAF still has their Wolf emblem so the WolfGAF clan can ride into battle, then we're good.

Nice to see they're making use of all that extra memory saved from not having Elites in the multiplayer maps

Haha are you going to keep bringing up the elites until the end of time? It's like Cyren's hopeless hope for spectator mode...

I assume so. In team games, your primary colors will be red or blue, but you keep the pattern on your armor. Just my guess.

Became an eyesore? I think the concept art backgrounds are awesome till this day.

they are radically different.

Dreamcrusher.jpg

Nah, I trust they'll be cool and functional in their own way.

The problem is that it's manipulative unfair bs that hurts the passionate fans the most.

Explain to me why we shouldn't be upset?
I really, really hoped ye'd want to and be able to fight against marketing over money moves like this.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Wonder if this will be new content? Might be considering they have the key art on the cover - suggests it's more recent than the GI stuff.

Halo 4 Heads Up Issue 101 Of 360 Magazine

Halo 4 smashes on to 360 Magazine’s cover in spectacular fashion. Take a look and see just how impressive it is…

Have you ever seen a more impressive bit of concept art in Halo’s history? And we’re talking about a series of games that’s had some really stunning pieces of art created for it. Issue 101 of 360 Magazine is proud to present this amazing Halo 4 artwork and an in-depth look behind the scenes at the games creation.

With exclusive access to the team working on Halo 4, we give you the scoop on the Xbox 360′s biggest shooter of the year along with an unprecedented look at the shooter genre itself. This is our biggest issue ever, enjoy!

329937.gif

Link

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The problem is that it's manipulative unfair bs that hurts the passionate fans the most.

I really, really hoped ye'd want to and be able to fight against marketing over money moves like this.
You know what hurts passionate fans the most?

Lack of dedi's and an unstable framerate for the franchises last 3 games.

fankie pls debis and locked fwamewate

Thats how I feel, I think iv established how I feel to you guys about this digital content stuff and I kind of feel like I won't be getting all the content with the game and I'd be fine with that if I could reasonably grab the content from other retailers via dlc or eBay but dlc looks unlikely and eBay is not going to be cost effective

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Because they are skins, and mostly ugly at that.

Yes, yes, the act of pre-order exclusives is awful, but if it has to happen I'd rather lose out on an ugly Best Buy skin I'd never use anyways. Better that than having the BR exclusive to Amazon.

FyreWulff

Haha are you going to keep bringing up the elites until the end of time? It's like Cyren's hopeless hope for spectator mode...

Not really interested in multi anyway, but juts something humorous that my dev side notices. Them cutting an entire biped class out of multi, then suddenly, a bunch of armor and emblem variants that would be easy to fit in now if you drop an entire biped class from being loaded in the maps. Each armor variant and emblem does have memory implications, because it has to load them in for each session. Note: I'm not saying this is why Elites got cut. Just something humorous.

I've already accepted Elites have been marginalized, they have been since Reach. You either use them in a special way or not at all. Although I'm still perplexed as to why they're hunched over again if they're not in multiplayer.. consistency with Halo 3?

Anyway, people that didn't like the Capcom disc unlocks should be raising just as much shit over this.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Grizzlei on HBO pointed this out.

From the Limited Edition announcement bulletin:

There will be two options available at retail for Halo 4 - the regular version of the game and the aforementioned Limited Edition. We decided to focus our efforts on a single special edition instead of numerous ones so you wouldn’t have to pick and choose between what ancillary items you want. Now your primary choice is whether or not you just want the game, or the game along with all the goodies. And we’re hoping we made that decision an easy one for you…

So they didn't want us to choose between ancillary items when making decisions for Halo 4 at retail, and then basically decided to force everyone buying the game to then choose between ancillary items at retail.

Seriously?

Top Bottom