• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Homeboyd

Hey look, Amazon.com Exclusive Pre-Order Emblems!

HALOBONUS3._V147659100_.jpg

HALOBONUS2._V147659103_.jpg
Link?

ElRenoRaven

Lame that there are retailer exclusives. It's a good feeling knowing I'm not getting all the content for a game I buy on release.

Did anyone honestly not see this coming though? I mean honestly. Bungie fought to not do things like this and eventually lost that fight with Reach. Remember the exclusive armor thing Gamestop preorders got with Reach? So it was only natural this would progress with a more corporate minded development studio. This will only get worse with each game.

A map is ~180MB; a skin would be ~5MB. I think they can afford to have a few extra skins, where extra maps is infeasible.

I know. I am just saying that resources could be better spent elsewhere. I would rather have a game that plays well than one that has armor customization, weapon skins, forge, theater mode, invasion, screen shots, Spartan Ops and firefight. Those are all extra features, but extra features are worthless if the main game is not any good. So instead of giving me Reach give me a Halo game like 1-3; minimal frills and good gameplay.

Did anyone honestly not see this coming though? I mean honestly. Bungie fought to not do things like this and eventually lost that fight with Reach. Remember the exclusive armor thing Gamestop preorders got with Reach? So it was only natural this would progress with a more corporate minded development studio. The progress will continue even if people don't like that.

You're right, I definitely saw this coming. I just hate that it's here, haha

I know. I am just saying that resources could be better spent elsewhere. I would rather have a game that plays well than one that has armor customization, weapon skins, forge, theater mode, invasion, screen shots, Spartan Ops and firefight. Those are all extra features, but extra features are worthless if the main game is not any good. So instead of giving me Reach give me a Halo game like 1-3; minimal frills and good gameplay.

Wouldn't it be cool if you didn't have to choose?

Like, you got good gameplay

and like

all the extra stuff too

whoa

lol, watch someone who was mocking people earlier for caring suddenly flip his shit because the emblem he's been using since Halo 2 is now exclusive to some retailer

Ha, armour skins mean nothing to me but I'll rage if the cat head I've 'rocked' since Halo 3 is pre-order.
It won't be, not fashionable enough.

J10

Banned
Some of you are complaining that these are ugly while simultaneously complaining that you can't have 'em all. Why?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
FYI GameStop US is doing the Forest armor too. No pic, but...

GameStop said:
Bonus Item
"Forest" armor skin!
Pre-order Halo 4 today and receive the customizable "Forest" armor skin! Suit up in Halo Infinity Multiplayer competitive and cooperative matches with the customizable "Forest" armor skin. The colors of the armor skin can be customized to fit your personality.

NOTE: Halo Infinity Multiplayer will revert players to default colors in some competitive modes
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/halo-4/91448#bonusFeatures

Wouldn't it be cool if you didn't have to choose?

Like, you got good gameplay

and like

all the extra stuff too

whoa
I know but it seems like we always have to settle. You would think the developers would have realized that people want a real Halo game after Reach failed miserably.

Also are those emblems for real? And here I thought Gears 3 and Activision was bad.

It seems like all of the developers and publishers are in a competition to treat their fans the worst.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Some of you are complaining that these are ugly while simultaneously complaining that you can't have 'em all. Why?

I like having a full and complete experience. Having a dozen things in the game that I cannot access because my local retailer didn't kiss the proper bum cheek isn't nice.

ElRenoRaven

I know but it seems like we always have to settle. You would think the developers would have realized that people want a real Halo game after Reach failed miserably.

Also are those emblems for real? And here I thought Gears 3 and Activision was bad.

It seems like all of the developers and publishers are in a competition to treat their fans the worst.

You know you can always vote with your wallets. Tell them you don't want this shit by not buying it. Complaining only to bend over for crap like this doesn't do a thing to change it. They only understand one thing. Money.

ElRenoRaven

You know I was just thinking. I can't wait till the online pass is announced. It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point to be honest.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I guess I see the dislike of pre-order exclusives, but for this stuff it's almost trivial. A skin and some emblems? Not a big deal to me being that there are most likely a lot in the final game.

I'd rather a pre-order bonus be cosmetic skins and pictures than anything like guns or maps.

Yikes, Im away all morning and this happens..

combined picture for people who have yet to see

mwgSp.jpg

Ok, so first the positive-

Weapon and armor skins are an awesome idea, and fit right in with Halo. I hope even in standard team slayer our skin will still play a part but maybe have primary revert to red or blue and secondary to white. Also, that spider skin is kinda awesome, haha.

The armor is a little eh though, tbh.. though I swear the Venator helmet looks forerunner...hm

Now the negative-
Retailer exclusives are absolutely bullshit. So what happens if I really like a certain skin, like the web? I want this game at midnight, so that means GS... Damn this sucks. I hope these skins/armor can be unlocked without preorders..

I like having a full and complete experience. Having a dozen things in the game that I cannot access because my local retailer didn't kiss the proper bum cheek isn't nice.

The best part is that all of these will be on the disc too. So we will be locked out of something that we own.

If this was on PC hackers would make it so that everyone has access to all of the bonuses like how hackers unlocked all of the New Vegas exclusives. Kind of ironic that you have to mod your game to have access to content you own.

So what now, you can't design your own emblem like every other game so you can purchase them or unlock them by buying the game at a certain store? That's garbage.

You know you can always vote with your wallets. Tell them you don't want this shit by not buying it. Complaining only to bend over for crap like this doesn't do a thing to change it. They only understand one thing. Money.

Soon...

jbsXTbTx1ISfkO.jpg

News to me!

Only the people who preorder from the GameStop on 12th street in Hong Kong get the golden skins but if you order from GameStop on 12th in New York you get the silver skins.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
lol, watch someone who was mocking people earlier for caring suddenly flip his shit because the emblem he's been using since Halo 2 is now exclusive to some retailer

edit- wait..
has no impact on existing emblems. Also smh at trope that emblems somehow equals missing level or feature

Havok

Good thing these skins are all horrifically ugly, otherwise I might have to think about how shameless and anticonsumer these retailer exclusive preorder practices are.

Reach had that exclusive "here's a million grenades" armor, though, so I guess I should have seen it coming. Thanks, men in business suits!

It's all pretty minor stuff, but slippery slopes and all that.

Top Bottom