• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Ramirez

Funny, I must be ignorant of the retailer exclusive Diablo 3 stuff (I may infact be).
There are plenty of games that do it, and there are plenty that don't. If anything, it's the lower-AAA tier games that do it more often than the absolute guaranteed hits.

Blizzard is a special kind of beast. Though, one only need to look at WoW and their real money vanity pets & mounts to see a similar thing. Only difference is that it's available to everyone...they're not past nickel & dime(ing) people though. :p

Would you guys be for a return to Halo 3's style of armor customization, where you get limited categories (say, helmet/chest/arms/waist/legs/boots compared to reach's 10 or so) and mostly "complete" sets of armor (as opposed to, say, Reach's EVA set only having helmet, shoulders, etc. but nothing else) but it literally changes the armor rather than just adding pieces on?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Would you guys be for a return to Halo 3's style of armor customization, where you get limited categories (say, helmet/chest/arms/waist/legs/boots compared to reach's 10 or so) and mostly "complete" sets of armor (as opposed to, say, Reach's EVA set only having helmet, shoulders, etc. but nothing else) but it literally changes the armor rather than just adding pieces on?

Absolutely not. Mixing and matching is where it's at. Only fools wear full sets.

Woorloog

Banned
Looking at the armor skins....
Note how the text says:
Armor:
Skin:

Skin is the pattern of primary and secondary colors and at least primary will be your team color in team games, i'd assume the secondary is either white, team color, or your secondary (or possibly Primary like in Halo 2)
Armor determines where are the colored overarmor pieces. But i'm not sure we get to modify actual armor... armors might be whole suits this time. Just guessing though. Just don't be too sure we're going to get Reach-like free customization...

Absolutely not. Mixing and matching is where it's at. Only fools wear full sets.

Me, i want more full sets. Chest, Shoulders, Helmet, everything. Not just helmet and shoulders like most of Reach's armor have...

Reach spartan shoes are hideous:

HtHup.png

Just AWFUL. No matter what your Reach armor looks like you still got those ugly ass things on your feet. And now we can change it.

Thank you, based Frankie

Agreed. While im not huge into the cosmetic stuff (big gameplay guy), I'm excited at the customization options that are being hinted at.

And hopefully Gamestop gets some good stuff for preordering, been camping out for Halo games on midnight releases and preordering my Halo games at the same gamestop since H3 lol.

EDIT: Saw Gamestop gets the forest stuff. Meh, I'll take it lol

Also,

"Pre-order Halo 4 today and receive the customizable "Forest" armor skin! Suit up in Halo Infinity Multiplayer competitive and cooperative matches with the customizable "Forest" armor skin. The colors of the armor skin can be customized to fit your personality.

NOTE: Halo Infinity Multiplayer will revert players to default colors in some competitive modes" -Gamestops site: Gamestop

So whoever said it wasn't going to make it into team games is right.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Note how the text says:
Armor:
Skin:

Skin is the pattern of primary and secondary colors and at least primary will be your team color in team games, i'd assume the secondary is either white, team color, or your secondary (or possibly Primary like in Halo 2)
Armor determines where are the colored overarmor pieces. But i'm not sure we get to modify actual armor... armors might be whole suits this time. Just guessing though. Just don't be too sure we're going to get Reach-like free customization...

Me, i want more full sets. Chest, Shoulders, Helmet, everything. Not just helmet and shoulders like most of Reach's armor have...

Won't happen. The backlash would be awful.

Woorloog

Banned
Won't happen. The backlash would be awful.

Any more "awful" than other COD-like things in Halo 4? Don't think so, people would be just apathetic. Maybe. HaloGAF excluded.
Personally, i wouldn't mind having only "suits". Besides, Reach armor selection is so awful i really don't care how Halo 4 handles the system, anything is going to be better, at least i like how Halo 4 armors look so far.

I like the Spider-Man skin, although I don't like that helmet OR that color. I think if I can get that default Halo helmet and decent colors, I'll be straight.

Any more "awful" than other COD-like things in Halo 4? Don't think so, people would be just apathetic. Maybe. HaloGAF excluded.
Personally, i wouldn't mind having only "suits". Besides, Reach armor selection is so awful i really don't care how Halo 4 handles the system, anything is going to be better, at least i like how Halo 4 armors look so far.

Yeah I'm fine with it either way, as long as it doesn't look atrocious across the board :p.

It's all null and void if the gameplay is garbage though, so im more focused on that, and hopefully we see a ton at E3.

feel

It's not about the actual skins (they're hideous, who cares) it's about the slightly unpleasant feeling of not having everything on the disc at your disposal. With preorder items of the past games being just one or two easily obtainable items, I'm too used to having everything in a Halo game.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It's not about the actual skins (they're hideous, who cares) it's about the slightly unpleasant feeling of not having everything on the disc at your disposal. With preorder items of the past games being just one or two easily obtainable items, I'm too used to having everything in a Halo game.

Pretty much this. It is a shitty feeling knowing there's always going to be a vacant slot in your list of options.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The more separated pieces the better, imo.

Pretty much this. It is a shitty feeling knowing there's always going to be a vacant slot in your list of options.

Agreed. It's odd knowing that since H2 came with it's Limited Edition I've had like everything "special" at launch and this time I wont. Especially with the emblems, it'll just be weird not having them.

Note how the text says:
Armor:
Skin:

I hope that the skins are your detail color, not your secondary.

Overdoziz

Banned
When you're at the stat page, there are two tabs on the left, Maps and Playlist. Just pick playlist and the playlist you want to see stats on. I'd screencap it to help you but the site won't load for me right now, hahaha

edit: Finally loaded, here's a screen
Thanks. I still have no idea why there's a separate stats and service record page. Entire website is a mess really.

blamite

These posted yet?

It's from here, but I think the skin on the right is the one the Microsoft Store is offering in the US.

Gungnir/Pulse actually looks pretty nice. Too bad I won't be able to get it. :(

Damn, every piece of armor really is customizable, isn't it? Wow, thats gonna be really cool.. hype building, despite the pre-order exclusive crap.

These posted yet?

It's from here, but I think the skin on the right is the one the Microsoft Store is offering in the US.

Gungnir/Pulse actually looks pretty nice. Too bad I won't be able to get it. :(

Oh fuck me, there's more? Ok, wait, yeah these are just better pics of what we have already seen.. but shit, Venator helmet and Locus helmet bouth look awesome... And the Gungnir armor looks so nice. Damn, sucks I wont be able to get those sets. =(

My favorite emblem :(
A long time ago a group of buddies an I were having a Halo 2 night, it must have been a few months after release.
I remember we had a friend who ended up betraying us a few too many times, so we decided, while he popped out for a few minutes, to turn his Spartan pink, change his emblem to the mark of shame, and call him 'Betrayal Boy' for the rest of the night.

Ideally, I'd love it if all these exclusives existed as in game unlocks at later levels... That way, everyone wins. Retailers get the initial bonus and players can get all the content months after release, a time when there won't be any more preorder offers.

Frankie...?

Top Bottom