• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Woorloog

Banned
It's the skins we're getting as pre-order bonuses, not the actual armors right? With a couple of helmets being unique pre-order bonuses.
Alternatively, each skin is armor specific.

Really liking GUNGNIR armor, indifferent on the skin. Deadeye is horrible.

I like to think it's just the skins that are pre-order bonuses, with the helmet specified if they're extra. I think all the armor they've shown so far is in-game

Arnie

Forget the colours for a moment, the new armour itself looks horrifyingly bad. Looks like power rangers or iron man, not Halo.

I really badly want to see in game renders of the armor sets/skins.

It's the skins we're getting as pre-order bonuses, not the actual armors right? With a couple of helmets being unique pre-order bonuses.
Alternatively, each skin is armor specific.

Really liking GUNGNIR armor, indifferent on the skin. Deadeye is horrible.

Im hoping they are all available for everyone, but are all early unlocks via retailers that would normally take a while to unlock. Hoping.

Also, I wonder what skin the LE will get..they should have shown that off at the very least.

Shadders

Really disappointed about this, surely having so many retailer exclusives just serves to devalue the retailer exclusives?

Hopefully there'll be such a vast number of skins in the game that missing out on a dozen or so to various retailers will become irrelevant.

Weirdly it's the emblems that upset me the most, it's nice to be able to match or share themes from emblems among friends who play together..

Perhaps BS Angel's post about the Limited Edition is an indicator that all these bits of fluff will be included in the LE.

I really, really hope that the bulk of customization unlocks are through progression and not through purchase.
It adds so much replay ability to the game.

blamite

I really, really hope that the bulk of customization unlocks are through progression and not through purchase.
It adds so much replay ability to the game.

But why waste that replay value on armor when you can use it to unlock GUNS and EXTRA GRENADES, or FASTER SHIELD RECHARGE for when you get hit by a HEADSHOT?

sigh...

Shadders

I'm sure there's loads more of these to come too, GAME, GameStation and ShopTo in the UK are still to announce theirs. Those three always have pre-order bonuses.

GhaleonEB

It's Halo now.

Halo evolved.

What I liked about the Halo 3 armor permutations is they were recognizably Spartans, just iterations of them. Reach festooned them with accessories and knick knacks, and Halo 4 - from these armor sets - are a step further in that direction. Very busy, chunky armor of varying styles (though a bit less so than Reach), but they're looking less and less like Spartans.

As a concept I think the practice of retailer exclusive game content is abhorrent, and 343 appears to have gone overboard in that department. The upside is they stuck with cosmetic content, unlike the Grunt Birthday Skull. I was worried that pointed to the direction Halo 4 would go in, handing out unique specializations or skulls. So at least there's that. But this stuff is just really not in the best interests of your customers, 343. Very poor form.

FyreWulff

Halo evolved.

What I liked about the Halo 3 armor permutations is they were recognizably Spartans, just iterations of them. Reach festooned them with accessories and knick knacks, and Halo 4 - from these armor sets - are a step further in that direction. Very busy, chunky armor of varying styles (though a bit less so than Reach), but they're looking less and less like Spartans.

As a concept I think the practice of retailer exclusive game content is abhorrent, and 343 appears to have gone overboard in that department. The upside is they stuck with cosmetic content, unlike the Grunt Birthday Skull. I was worried that pointed to the direction Halo 4 would go in, handing out unique specializations or skulls. So at least there's that. But this stuff is just really not in the best interests of your customers, 343. Very poor form.

I think you can gauge the amount of backfire thusly: if these had just been a straight up reveal of customization options for 4, people would have been going crazy and analyzing the new helmet and armor reveals and talking about which ones they want.

It's been completely overridden with the dismay at having to choose your favorite armor from your available retailers that you have access to.

I can think of a couple of ways they could save face from this (like the LE getting all the skins), but MS is not exactly known for backing down from poor decisions.

^ they definitely should have shown off some of the armor options before spewing this retailer exclusive crap, that we we could have at least enjoyed it more.

Halo evolved.

Yeah, at first glance I barely noticed the armor sets were different. I hope this isn't a sign for all the armor in Halo 4.. Halo 3 really did allow its armor to stand out. I also agree that they look less like Spartans, but then again I wont fully judge that til I see the sets in actual in game renders.

Shit, if I can pre-order to look like Iron Man, I'll import that mothafucka

detail.jpg

Make it happen, 343

watership

Forget the colours for a moment, the new armour itself looks horrifyingly bad. Looks like power rangers or iron man, not Halo.

I'm pretty sure if we viewed the Halo: Reach models in the same way (pose, art) it would look just as bad. This was probably the easiest way to display the pre-order items.

Arnie

You guys want Spartans to look like Power Rangers? Or Iron Man?

I hope the only reason these look so guff is 343 sent their worst designs off to the retailers to prevent as much disappointment come launch, because nobody would choose one of these Spartans out of free will. They look horrendous.

Where's the visor?

I'm pretty sure if we viewed the Halo: Reach models in the same way (pose, art) it would look just as bad. This was probably the easiest way to display the pre-order items.
One of the earliest Reach vidocs showed some Spartan designs in an early state and they looked way better than these.

How about this, LE gets all available skins, and the regular copy can get the retail exclusive bullshit.

Yeah that would be nice if the LE got all the retailer exclusive crap as well, but I still think its unfair for people and would hope they could unlock the retailer stuff later on.

I think you can gauge the amount of backfire thusly: if these had just been a straight up reveal of customization options for 4, people would have been going crazy and analyzing the new helmet and armor reveals and talking about which ones they want.

It's been completely overridden with the dismay at having to choose your favorite armor from your available retailers that you have access to.

I can think of a couple of ways they could save face from this, but MS is not exactly known for backing down from poor decisions.

Agreed. It's kinda weird we here about these new ''features'' via the announcement of the limited edition and pre-order bonuses. I think it would've been better to first announce some of these new customization options before using them as pre-order bonuses.

Also, that gungnir helmet looks pretty awesome. Best we've seen today.

Woorloog

Banned
because nobody would choose one of these Spartans out of free will.

Stop spouting nonsense. You might not like them but others might.

Need more detailled pictures, different view points and the like but so far i have no issues with the armors, though HAZOP's visor is a bit weird.

Computron

No, the post was the wrong color. Forget about it.

anywhoosle:

So, I quickly wrote a little shader to generate some camouflage textures procedurally in like 5 minutes. I just type in the values for the color scheme and BAM instant Camo Textures:

I baked it out and, here's what it looks like on the Gun with the other stuff turned off (no time):

5PJof.png

Anyone want it?

oIQPZ.png

TUHZt.png

Lol.

I kid, I kid....

Arnie

Stop spouting nonsense. You might not like them but others might.

Need more detailled pictures, different view points and the like but so far i have no issues with the armors, though HAZOP's visor is a bit weird.

Well some people chose Security in Halo 3, so I don't doubt some people will choose these.

But they look so amateur.

If you were relatively happy with your employer, and then your employer asked you to do some trivial task which you knew would benefit you and the company in only an incremental way at best, would you drop the F-bomb on that employer?

I would rather 343 give Microsoft what they want in terms of DLC cosmetics and retail exclusives and then use that good will to negotiate a better deal for Halo 4 players on things like map packs, Waypoint features, and special events (Halofest etc.).

Possibly if it was a shitty practice that I didn't want to become a standard. I'm a big fan of not creating stupid shit.

FyreWulff

Waiting for unlockable forge colors to be announced

Preorder at Gamestop now to unlock the Power To the Players Red Forge Set

ZxD5O.png

Relive the days of Halo 3 with this Game Fuel-soaked Amazon Forge Set!

8cxs8.png

Preorder at your nearest Wal Mart Game Center to receive your Wal Mart Forge Set!

IH1oP.png

Come in and order from Best Buy for the exclusive Best Buy Forge Set! Includes leftover Goggles Baird codes.

WPfHv.png

Last but not least, Play.com has on offer an.. electric Forge Set for those Tron or early 90s playspaces you've always dreamed of creating.

OdkwN.png

Top Bottom