• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Good thinking, let's hope

Also, I agree with Over. All of these skins look terrible. Charmander skin is our only hope.

Sorry bro.

zHiCt.png

TheOddOne

The new armor appearance has a very athletic feel to it. Which makes a whole lot of sense with the Infinity lore being thrown in. It truly is team vs. team, and the ridiculous almost commercial looking armor holds a lot of meaning to it. If this were real world combat it wouldn't make much sense. I honestly don't know if this was the intention behind the armor skins or not, but it is very fucking cool to consider.
Well Misrah Armory has a new competitor called Acheron Security. Some diversity in design would make sense.

The new armor appearance has a very athletic feel to it. Which makes a whole lot of sense with the Infinity lore being thrown in. It truly is team vs. team, and the ridiculous almost commercial looking armor holds a lot of meaning to it. If this were real world combat it wouldn't make much sense. I honestly don't know if this was the intention behind the armor skins or not, but it is very fucking cool to consider.

It'd be interesting if it turned out all these crazy space rugby suits turned out to be the absolute weakest stuff the UNSC's manufacturing, and then come the campaign endgame they bust out their genuine military suits and just start outright destroying some of the forerunner enemies or whatever.

Would you guys be for a return to Halo 3's style of armor customization, where you get limited categories (say, helmet/chest/arms/waist/legs/boots compared to reach's 10 or so) and mostly "complete" sets of armor (as opposed to, say, Reach's EVA set only having helmet, shoulders, etc. but nothing else) but it literally changes the armor rather than just adding pieces on?
I'd personally like a combination of both, but with full control over everything. I hated how in Reach they just gave you a bunch of presets like each helmet only having 3 choices or the robot arm only for a few chest plates and grenade belts on certain chest attachments whether you like them or not.

This is what I wish Reach customization was like.

Halo evolved.

What I liked about the Halo 3 armor permutations is they were recognizably Spartans, just iterations of them. Reach festooned them with accessories and knick knacks, and Halo 4 - from these armor sets - are a step further in that direction. Very busy, chunky armor of varying styles (though a bit less so than Reach), but they're looking less and less like Spartans.

For all its infinite armour variations, I never notice what my opponent is wearing in Reach. It's all so indistinguished. Halo 3's helmets really stood out to me. I can still to this day recall instantly the look of Security, Hayabusa, Scout, CQB, Recon etc. A very memorable set.

Preorder at Gamestop now to unlock the Power To the Players Red Forge Set

ZxD5O.png

Relive the days of Halo 3 with this Game Fuel-soaked Amazon Forge Set!

8cxs8.png

Preorder at your nearest Wal Mart Game Center to receive your Wal Mart Forge Set!

IH1oP.png

The colour of your forge map can now be tailored to your personality!

Ryaaan14

Banned
It'd be interesting if it turned out all these crazy space rugby suits turned out to be the absolute weakest stuff the UNSC's manufacturing, and then come the campaign endgame they bust out their genuine military suits and just start outright destroying some of the forerunner enemies or whatever.

Or, in a desperate attempt to save the Chief, the Infinity has to evacuate to go on a rescue mission and you have this troupe of Power Ranger/Transformer/Gundam looking fuckers out shooting their way to the rescue.

"Soldiers, Master Chief is in danger, SUIT UP."

"Sir, we aren't dressed for the occassion!"

"SHOULD HAVE PRE-ORDERED FROM MIGHTYAPE.CO.NZ!"

Ryaaan14

Banned
The Railgun does not do as much vehicle damage as the Laser, but strategically placed shots are able to change a vehicle’s force and direction. When its projectile hits a vehicle, it has the potential to send it flying, rolling, or perhaps even off a cliff because of the kinetic energy (similar to repeatedly hitting a Warthog with a Brute Shot).
tumblr_lwg534sQb11qzjix8.gif

Computron

Cool thing about this model is that it was made entirely inside of zbrush, a scultping app. And that was before Dynamesh allowed for awesome smooth booleans and polish. There's a lot of detail in there and all of it is really smooth inorganic hard surface.

Jensen works for Bungie now.

Cyren, thanks to Tashi's stealth shout out to THC, I visited for the first time in a while and saw the v8 testing. Those would be an awesome 11 gametypes if it were to happen. I really liked the A9 setup, and BY THE GODS an actually good Sanctuary!

blamite

Relatively uninteresting bulletin, considering today's events. Railgun sounds neat though. I hope it outright replaces the laser.

Overdoziz

Banned
Cyren, thanks to Tashi's stealth shout out to THC, I visited for the first time in a while and saw the v8 testing. Those would be an awesome 11 gametypes if it were to happen. I really liked the A9 setup, and BY THE GODS an actually good Sanctuary!
Countdown King? Don't know how I feel about that.
Anchor 9 has to be drastically changes to work.

CyReN

They are still figuring out stuff, I heard Countdown King doesn't work too well. I think aPK will be on this weekend if you guys want to run through some gametypes, I'm hearing colorful things about Sanctuary.

They tested Countdown it before and it was a really fun gametype.

The A9 setup is significantly different than default.

They are still figuring out stuff, I heard Countdown King doesn't work too well. I think aPK will be on this weekend if you guys want to run through some gametypes, I'm hearing colorful things about Sanctuary.

Hmm, either way, the A9 setup looks good, and more importantly a good Sanctuary is awesome.

Tawpgun

I'm okay with weapon skins and armor skins. Increasing customization without affecting gameplay is fine by me.

I'm not happy about retailer exclusives though. I'd feel better if it just let you unlock something early. :(

This is my opinion. I do however think the armors look UGLY as hell. Goddamn. I remember being in awe of the Halo 3 armors. I remember being amazed at how detailed the Reach armor was.

But goddamn this shit is ugly. My favorite part is:

343: We've chosen to redesign the armor so it feels more 'practical' and nothing says practicality, like little to no visors.

Spartans, you better hope those external cameras don't break, or you're FUCKED.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
To be honest I expect these retailer exclusives now. I can honestly say the retailer who has the best exclusives and/or price will get my money.

I see nothing wrong with it personally. What I DO have a problem with is when developers inevitably release that content as DLC later on like Epic did. It's lazy and it's a waste of DLC.

Let the preorder shit end there any anything post release is new content.

Overdoziz

Banned
Looking at the new Sanctuary right now. Still has some issues. Z-fighting all over the place, inefficient forging in a few places, no bon indents. (even though the thread said it had) and the minor elevation differences in the sniper hut are really pointless. It costs more budget, more objects, looks worse, doesn't add anything to how the map plays and adds an annoying bump.

Also, I'm probably one of the few people who actually prefers the clean look of the current Sanctuary.

The bases on Anchor 9 seem like they would be very easy to hole up in. :/
Anchor 9 will always be a bad man's The Pit.

ElRenoRaven

This is my opinion. I do however think the armors look UGLY as hell. Goddamn. I remember being in awe of the Halo 3 armors. I remember being amazed at how detailed the Reach armor was.

But goddamn this shit is ugly. My favorite part is:

343: We've chosen to redesign the armor so it feels more 'practical' and nothing says practicality, like little to no visors.

Spartans, you better hope those external cameras don't break, or you're FUCKED.

All I can say is I couldn't agree more because I damn well have been thinking that from the start. I'm trying not to bring a lot of negativity here because I always said if I didn't like shit I'd just fade away. I've also said I'm going to wait and rent the game first before I form a final decision. However as everything has been revealed I can honestly say I've not liked a damn thing I've seen be it design wise or the way they're handling preorders etc by splitting up content via different retailers. That said I'll just shut up again and go back to lurking again or chatting when there is something I can say without being a negative ass. That said I'm also going to rent it hope it blows me away and makes me buy it.

TheOddOne

The gems keep coming!
I just want to make this short and sweet. People just need to give it a chance, yes it is under "independent" 343i that are making the game, who are responsible for a lot of the side stories and lore outside of the game (ex. books, cartoons, etc.). What people do not realize is that several Bungie employees that were responsible with Halo and all of its success transfered over to 343i including Franchise Director Ian Lemoigne. So for everyone who says "it's not Bungie", you are only half telling the truth. Give the game a chance, Reach was not their best because of the release dates, look at the COD franchise and tell me that isn't copy paste. Now with the new face and bigger budgets, the game has had time to evolve into something amazing. I am looking forward to it, so should you!
IAN LEMOIGNE!

Goddamn at those comments. It's times like that that make you realize while GAF may be the equivalent of the Collegiate bunch in High School that was about 80% vocal minority aggressive nerds who know what they're talking about and pretty damn decent otherwise, everyone else on the internet is already doing too much fucking to do much else or they're... you know, high schoolers. (Metaphorically)

Looking at the new Sanctuary right now. Still has some issues. Z-fighting all over the place, inefficient forging in a few places, no bon indents. (even though the thread said it had) and the minor elevation differences in the sniper hut are really pointless. It costs more budget, more objects, looks worse, doesn't add anything to how the map plays and adds an annoying bump.

Also, I'm probably one of the few people who actually prefers the clean look of the current Sanctuary.

The raised cars and other corrected sightlines on the map instantly make it play better, regardless of the grass aesthetic or not (which I really like).

You scared me! I thought it was Wednesday for a minute and everyone in the office was lying to me.

Haha I just watched an episode of The Office where Dwight thinks it's Friday, but it's actually Thursday, so Jim spends ample amount of time stating loudly about how it's Friday so Dwight won't come into work the next day.

kylej

Banned
Holy shit Halo 2 is so good.

Can we please not discuss that archaic old boring shit in this thread? Halo 2 is ancient, it has no place anymore. Halo 4 is taking the award winning Halo franchise to the next level. Let's focus on the wonderful future of this franchise and discuss the natural Evolution of Halo instead of dreaming about the past.

thebulletin said:
Super Jackpot Weekend

If Warthogs aren’t your thing but Multi Team is, then you also have a shot at bumping your total number of credits to the next level because starting today and ending on Sunday, hopping into the Multi Team playlist will present you with the chance of receiving a 34,300-credit bonus.

Are you trying to troll me BS Angel?

Other than that I liked this bulletin. I think she frames the non-info quite well and I quite enjoy her silly prose.

The railgun sounds interesting. Prizing alternative functionality from the right trigger ala the grenade launcher is always more satisfying and rewarding than a durp explosions weapon like the Concussion Rifle. The aim magnetism had better be low on it to compensate for that one shot kill.

PsychoRaven said:
Oh without a doubt she cracks me up. I think a lot of people are too hard on her.

Probably because she's not Frankie or Urk. Whoever follows always has to bat the comparisons away.

ElRenoRaven

Are you trying to troll me BS Angel?

Other than that I liked this bulletin. I think she frames the non-info quite well and I quite enjoy her silly prose.

The railgun sounds interesting. Prizing alternative functionality from the right trigger ala the grenade launcher is always more satisfying and rewarding than a durp explosions weapon like the Concussion Rifle. The aim magnetism had better be low on it to compensate for that one shot kill.

Oh without a doubt she cracks me up. I think a lot of people are too hard on her.

TheOddOne

Ian Lemoigne makes me laugh.

Ian Lemoigne said:
I am such a hipster that I was at E3 before it was even E3. That’s literally true. I distinctly remember hassling Brad Dourif about the Dune movie outside the Nintendo booth at the Vegas CES where what became E3 used to be off in a tent in the corner.

Havok

The Railgun does not do as much vehicle damage as the Laser, but strategically placed shots are able to change a vehicle’s force and direction. When its projectile hits a vehicle, it has the potential to send it flying, rolling, or perhaps even off a cliff because of the kinetic energy (similar to repeatedly hitting a Warthog with a Brute Shot).
This is where you started to lose me. Being killed by rolling off of Standoff's cliff in a Hog with no ability to correct yourself once the first shot hit because of the insane flipping was fun to watch, but not fun to play unless you were the one with the Brute Shot.

I like that it's not an instant kill. I don't think removing the scope fixes the problems that arose with the Laser, but it'll be interesting to see how this thing works. Hope it doesn't have splash damage like the Laser and Gauss (I think?) did.

feel

One shot kill on infantry is what worries me, could potentially be OP on CQC in the hands of someone above mediocre.

Top Bottom