• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

You know, now I don't know if I'm disliking the armor or the skin. Eh. Whatever.

As long as I don't have to pre-order the Librarian symbol at all (including from a single place), I'm good. If the Librarian symbol is in the game that is.

Arnie

You know, now I don't know if I'm disliking the armor or the skin. Eh. Whatever.

As long as I don't have to pre-order the Librarian symbol at all (including from a single place), I'm good. If the Librarian symbol is in the game that is.

The skin doesn't bother me, they'll most probably be either blue or red anyway; it's the blunt, fan-art approach to the Spartan's armour that strikes me as so overtly grotesque.

Fuchsdh

I have to agree with Ghal. They don't look like Spartans, more like Gundams, and the armor continues to make little canonical sense (although it makes more sense than having a million variations of the Mk V and VI did, because presumably costs have come way down.)

Computron

Possibly if it was a shitty practice that I didn't want to become a standard. I'm a big fan of not creating stupid shit.

Then what do you call these?

7hIh5.png

LOL, just kidding bro...

Why is everyone ejaculating over that Locus helmet? Shot's way too small to make out any real details and it's a side view for pete's sake.

I have to agree with Ghal. They don't look like Spartans, more like Gundams, and the armor continues to make little canonical sense (although it makes more sense than having a million variations of the Mk V and VI did, because presumably costs have come way down.)

It's what I've been saying since day 1. For some reason, it all looks and feels so japanese.

Fuchsdh

How is it a hyperbole? It all looks like stuff you find on Deviant Art or something.

I agree in that it doesn't feel... guided? Perhaps that's not the word for it.

But if you were developing a next-gen, expensive piece of supersoldier armor, I don't think you would approach it as "lets make a bunch of different visors and every variant will have completely different armor!"

This has been my issue since Halo 3, although the rather limited sets of customization and commonalities between them felt plausible. Since then that fig leaf of "maybe these are just test suits that never got deployed" in Reach has been snapped in Halo 4 since these are supposed to be canon-ish simulated battles. The Spartan-IVs are wearing this armor.

Looking at this armor and the Mk V and VI, I see few traces of the old designs in the lineage, which I would expect considering they were developed in the span of a decade.

Woorloog

Banned

Looks like Halo 4's Spartan IV armor. I mean, i look at Halo 4's Chief and the base Spartan IV armor and these armors look like variations of that armor. I admit there's a bit less variation than in Halo 3 or Reach but i'm not sure it's automatically a bad thing, after all hitboxes will be the same, similar silhouttes won't confuse people as much as they may do in Halo 3 and Reach (not a big deal though, very minor actually). Also, these are concept arts, not renders, so it is difficult to see details in these, and we don't have side views of these armors.

As for the armor variations... yes, Mjolnir IV/V/VI having a lot of variations never made much sense since the underlying armor was practically unchanged and there weren't many Spartans who used the armor. Though arguably their elite nature means they're going to do very specialized missions and you want to equip them with the best possible materiel... However, the variations might have been shared assests, like there's a version of ODST helmet that is compatible with Mjolnir's shielding. Thus it may be possible that CQC helmet, for example, might have been developed for both Mjolnir armor system and UNSC Marine's armor, a few armor descriptions actually state such explictly.

Mjolnir generation 2 armor variations make more sense actually. Spartan IV program is open for all UNSC personel (well, to those who're qualified anyway), and the program has very likely used technologies developed for Spartan III program, ie the enhancements made for Spartan IVs are compatible with practically anyone, and very likely they're more akin Spartan II's enhancements than to Spartan III's.
As there are way more Spartan IVs (at least, i assume that being very likely, there were merely some 900 Spartan IIIs), more armor is needed for them.. and as the amount rises, specialization becomes more important, thus more variants. Plus, they're likely cheaper and easier to make.

Can one of the 343i guys clarify if it's the armor and the pattern that is retailer exclusive? Or if it's just the pattern and the armor is unlockable in game.

Woorloog

Banned
Can one of the 343i guys clarify if it's the armor and the pattern that is retailer exclusive? Or if it's just the pattern and the armor is unlockable in game.

We really need to know this ASAP.

Don't think i'm going to change my GameStop pre-order though, like the camo pattern and HAZOP armor.

Fuchsdh

Looks like Halo 4's Spartan IV armor. I mean, i look at Halo 4's Chief and the base Spartan IV armor and these armors look like variations of that armor. I admit there's a bit less variation than in Halo 3 or Reach but i'm not sure it's automatically a bad thing, after all hitboxes will be the same, similar silhouttes won't confuse people as much as they may do in Halo 3 and Reach (not a big deal though, very minor actually). Also, these are concept arts, not renders, so it is difficult to see details in these, and we don't have side views of these armors.

As for the armor variations... yes, Mjolnir IV/V/VI having a lot of variations never made much sense since the underlying armor was practically unchanged and there weren't many Spartans who used the armor. Though arguably their elite nature means they're going to do very specialized missions and you want to equip them with the best possible materiel... However, the variations might have been shared assests, like there's a version of ODST helmet that is compatible with Mjolnir's shielding. Thus it may be possible that CQC helmet, for example, might have been developed for both Mjolnir armor system and UNSC Marine's armor, a few armor descriptions actually state such explictly.

Mjolnir generation 2 armor variations make more sense actually. Spartan IV program is open for all UNSC personel (well, to those who're qualified anyway), and the program has very likely used technologies developed for Spartan III program, ie the enhancements made for Spartan IVs are compatible with practically anyone, and very likely they're more akin Spartan II's enhancements than to Spartan III's.
As there are way more Spartan IVs (at least, i assume that being very likely, there were merely some 900 Spartan IIIs), more armor is needed for them.. and as the amount rises, specialization becomes more important, thus more variants. Plus, they're likely cheaper and easier to make.

See my above. It makes a little more sense, like I said, but there's also a lack of a "prototype" rationale for some of it too.

We have yet to see how the Chief's armor is explained away, but if it's not actually explained satisfactorily and the Spartan-IVs suits look like it, that's even more bone-headed and contradictory.

Maybe I wouldn't care so much if the armor we'd seen looked better, but with a completely different flavor that doesn't fit the universe,* doesn't fit the canon** and doesn't particularly look good to my eyes, I'm going to gripe :)

*Yes I know this makes it the new canon, but I like consistency with what has come before, and that's basically the bedrock of creating a believable universe. Someone should have muzzled the 343i artists and said "we know you guys are creative, but".

I hope the armor has more unique looking sets in the final game.. I would kill for a set that looked like this:

JEuK6.png

or this:

8Xe0T.png

and while Im at it, this:

rNPt1.jpg

and throw in a set/skin like this:

IHAAX.jpg

Arnie

God save the queen.

I actually think we should replace the monarchy with a range of pigs in crowns. We English already realise that they're basically just a tool for generating tourism and money. Not only would people flock from all around the world to see a collection of anointed pigs, but we could sell royal bacon too.

And I was born on St George's day so my opinion matters.

I actually think we should replace the monarchy with a range of pigs in crowns. We English already realise that they're basically just a tool for generating tourism and money. Not only would people flock from all around the world to see a collection of anointed pigs, but we could sell royal bacon too.

And I was born on St George's day so my opinion matters.

I still think one nation should adopt the imperial march theme.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cyren, I can't go to page 2 of the Halo news on THC. It kicks me back to the front page. If I have to look at that picture of Frank 1 more time I might barf

for real

lollerz, nah u secksee

Ryaaan14

Banned
The new armor appearance has a very athletic feel to it. Which makes a whole lot of sense with the Infinity lore being thrown in. It truly is team vs. team, and the ridiculous almost commercial looking armor holds a lot of meaning to it. If this were real world combat it wouldn't make much sense. I honestly don't know if this was the intention behind the armor skins or not, but it is very fucking cool to consider.

Woorloog

Banned
*Yes I know this makes it the new canon, but I like consistency with what has come before, and that's basically the bedrock of creating a believable universe. Someone should have muzzled the 343i artists and said "we know you guys are creative, but".

I'm not sure how i would've reacted to Halo 4 if it were more close to Halo 3 and Reach in style. I like the fresh take on things and don't mind the changes and the lack of consistency. One could argue that you can keep the previous style and keep things fresh but i'm not sure about that... Reach feels like a game that tried to do that, and IMO, it fell flat on its face.
It's not like we're going to get a satisfying explanation for this* anyway... So i'm just "*shrug* okay, it's just a game set in a fictional world which is filled with retcons already, so i don't care" Halo lost its beliveability a long time ago as far as i'm concerned.

*Seriously, "nanotech" is not an explanation for Mjolnir VI changing its form. Maybe the new Generation 2 Mjolnir has it but i really doubt Mjolnir VI had it. If it has, it's another stupid retcon. Also, the Dawn has suddenly gained an armory full of BR-85s and MA6Ds... which is odd as in Halo 3 it was filled with BR-55s and MA6Cs... don't tell me those have nanotech too.
As i said, beliveablity is long gone for the sake of gameplay.

Top Bottom