• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Ryaaan14

Banned
It's funny that you're all talking about bloom now, because I just started playing Squad for the jackpot and was thinking about how much bloom annoys me.

What was its original purpose, anyway? to add a risk/reward mechanic?

Kind of I guess. Gave you the option to spam your ROF while sacrificing accuracy.

Homeboyd

Are the waypoint forums more down than usual right now? I'm getting them to load about 1 out of every 10 tries...

Edit: Working now of course
Edit: Borked again

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
It's funny that you're all talking about bloom now, because I just started playing Squad for the jackpot and was thinking about how much bloom annoys me.

Bloom impacts weapon accuracy within a certain timeframe, which influences engagement behaviour differently at various distance differences. It serves to force a certain rate of fire on the player and punishes the player with inaccuracy for exceeding it, which increases significantly the wider the distance between yourself and your target.

Basically it's there to force you into a certain way of playing. Firing your weapon at an optimal rate and engaging enemies at an optimal range.

Fuchsdh

I can be persuaded by certain... things. Mostly dollars.

... probably not handjobs.

Yea, that picture of Cortana is mine. Although looking back on it now, I probably could have made it so much better; oh well.

I made an account to tell him, but I just ended up posting a picture from the recent video ;)

Cool, props to you.

I really wish I'd entered into the Evolutions art contest. I told myself way better people would enter, but while we got a few great ones (yours, Levi's, and a few others) there were some that were just... poor (the "Mona Lisa" should have had an awesome image of Elite w/ cricket bat v. human, and it got an odd anime thing.)

Trey

Yes, and highlighting range advantages while balancing precision weapon's ability at distance.

dammit sl.

daedalius

Cool, props to you.

I really wish I'd entered into the Evolutions art contest. I told myself way better people would enter, but while we got a few great ones (yours, Levi's, and a few others) there were some that were just... poor (the "Mona Lisa" should have had an awesome image of Elite w/ cricket bat v. human, and it got an odd anime thing.)

I feel the same way, although looking back on it now, I'm not really a fan of my own submission :p

still glad it is in there though.

Bloom seems fine at long range, but they should have balanced it for its intended range; which I imagine was mid-range, since that is generally where you are fighting in Halo games. At that range, bloom was so random, pacing was not as effective as spamming more often than not.

To stop weapons being CRAZY strong at distance. Having to pace shots to kill at range made weapons like the sniper much more effective its a way to balance the sandbox.

However alot of the community misunderstood it and always paced or always spammed and it added a horrible random element to the game because obviously at medium range you could spam and have a percentage of every shot hitting while another guy paces and gets donged on.

Its a good idea in theory but for a game like halo it wasnt a perfect fit on all weapons. Looks like it might work better in Halo 4.

BR no bloom
AR Bloom
DMR bloom

is where we sit currently i think,

AR no bloom limits it to close range essentially the chance of hitting the needed amount of shots to kill at anything but close range must be VERY low

DMR with bloom makes it a better distance weapon but still usable up close if inaccurate when spammed.

BR no bloom is the sweet spot, i doubt it will have DMR range but its going to be the go to mid range weapon i think.

I hope to god that something is done about the needler, in reach TU its horrible (in normal reach its horrible) seems like the hardest gun to balance if thats the case id rather it was just cut.
And while im talking about weapons. Frankie grab the SMG tags from halo 3 and slip them into halo 4 code pls

daedalius

I don't think the DMR is going to have bloom, it will probably have recoil though from the looks of the latest video/gif (you can clearly see the view rising as he is firing).

CyReN

I don't think the DMR is going to have bloom, it will probably have recoil though from the looks of the latest video/gif (you can clearly see the view rising as he is firing).

They've confirmed it had bloom, but not like Reach.

If it works like Shadowrun/proper bloom then I'm all for it, but just give us a toggle option just incase.

To stop weapons being CRAZY strong at distance. Having to pace shots to kill at range made weapons like the sniper much more effective its a way to balance the sandbox.

However alot of the community misunderstood it and always paced or always spammed and it added a horrible random element to the game because obviously at medium range you could spam and have a percentage of every shot hitting while another guy paces and gets donged on.

Its a good idea in theory but for a game like halo it wasnt a perfect fit on all weapons. Looks like it might work better in Halo 4.

BR no bloom
AR Bloom
DMR bloom

is where we sit currently i think,

AR no bloom limits it to close range essentially the chance of hitting the needed amount of shots to kill at anything but close range must be VERY low

DMR with bloom makes it a better distance weapon but still usable up close if inaccurate when spammed.

BR no bloom is the sweet spot, i doubt it will have DMR range but its going to be the go to mid range weapon i think.

I hope to god that something is done about the needler, in reach TU its horrible (in normal reach its horrible) seems like the hardest gun to balance if thats the case id rather it was just cut.
And while im talking about weapons. Frankie grab the SMG tags from halo 3 and slip them into halo 4 code pls

Yeah, I actually really like the direction 343 is taking bloom with 4. The BR's spread/recoil should balance it perfectly (again, in theory) at medium range.

I actually really hope the whole "pick your starting weapon" thing works out for the best, because I really like the idea.

Also, not related, but I think the plasma repeater is one of the coolest weapons in Reach. Looks cool, sounds cool, and it really feels like you're slinging plasma at the enemy. It's underused and underrated imo.

Got another copy of Onyx since mine is lost. Updated version of Fall of Reach, graphic novel and Art of Building Worlds. Still awaiting on Sparth's art book. Total cost $30 on amazon.
d2qaN.jpg
That's pretty fantastic for $30.

daedalius

Got another copy of Onyx since mine is lost. Updated version of Fall of Reach, graphic novel and Art of Building Worlds. Still awaiting on Sparth's art book. Total cost $30 on amazon.
d2qaN.jpg

I need to add the flood to this(I have all of these as well); I've heard its a decent read although not the best.

I cant get through it, not sure why its just eh. You will read the words "straight and true" alot

I'm already tired of reading those words.

Spawnling

It's having bloom. However I think that recoil should play a bigger factor than the actual bloom itself. I'm not gong to enjoy it, if it's like Halo Reach bloom :/

Agreed, but I do dislike 100%. I would prefer every playlist to have 85% (MLG 0) or just ZB for every playlist.

I mean I understand why 100% is still around. Alienating people who like vanilla regardless of their numbers would of been wrong.
343 should've made the case that 100% bloom does not perform as well as 85% bloom. This isn't a preference issue: spamming is more effective with 100% bloom than it is with 85% bloom. If they had just laid that out along with the other TU changes as being "fixes for broken parts of the game" anyone advocating for vanilla settings might have been a little more understanding. I'm sad that they didn't just go all out from day 1 with the update.

Havok

I need to add the flood to this(I have all of these as well); I've heard its a decent read although not the best.
Don't bother. Waste of paper. A story that didn't need to be told and that I think actively devalues what we see in the first game by giving Chief time to chill out and take a shower instead of shooting dudes.

Trey

Don't bother. Waste of paper. A story that didn't need to be told and that I think actively devalues what we see in the first game by giving Chief time to chill out and take a shower instead of shooting dudes.

Had interesting subplots and alternate viewpoints. You can skip all the Chief parts though, and the Keyes Flood assimilation is done better in Karen Traviss' Evolutions short story.

Ryaaan14

Banned
What was so bad about having a locked ROF without visual feedback? After the community bitches about bloom over a game's entire lifespan, why bring something into your new game that makes people think it's still there? smfh

Woorloog

Banned

Hmm.
Interesting. I don't particularly like Forged maps... so maybe i should try to make one that wouldn't have the issues so many Forge maps have. Well, issues i have with them, anyway.
If i didn't just get motion sickness from Reach Forge... (that has to do with me moving around a lot, i'm constantly evaluating what i'm doing by watching the map from multiple angles, it is something that is hard to control).
Have a few ideas...

Havok

• Entry does not suffer from noticeable or excessive negative screen performance issues with four players on the same screen.
Well, that disqualifies 99% of any possible submissions at the outset.

Had interesting subplots and alternate viewpoints. You can skip all the Chief parts though, and the Keyes Flood assimilation is done better in Karen Traviss' Evolutions short story.
They were fine, I just don't think it necessitated a full length novel. I only really liked the Keyes bit and the Grunt/Elite subplot, the Helljumpers were incredibly boring to me.

Homeboyd

Well, that disqualifies 99% of any possible submissions at the outset.
Well that is a bit of an overstatement. We understand the limitations with Forge...

As for the 4 player split screen, consider it while options still remain open to closing it down to 2 if necessary. See recent invasion update.

Trey

What was so bad about having a locked ROF without visual feedback? After the community bitches about bloom over a game's entire lifespan, why bring something into your new game that makes people think it's still there? smfh

Because they want to have the DMR in the game, and it would be hilariously broken if there wasn't some kind of limit to it at range. You can't exactly have a fluctuating "locked" RoF, so bloom is the answer: an elastic check that scales with distance. Hopefully it doesn't get in the way of skill.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Because they want to have the DMR in the game, and it would be hilariously broken if there wasn't some kind of limit to it at range. You can't exactly have a fluctuating "locked" RoF, so bloom is the answer: an elastic check that scales with distance. Hopefully it doesn't get in the way of skill.

Lock the fuckin DMR!!! I don't understand why this cannot be done

Edit: Wait what do you mean fluctuating? Just set a single ROF for it ala the BR

Havok

Well that is a bit of an overstatement. We understand the limitations with Forge...

As for the 4 player split screen, consider it while options still remain open to closing it down to 2 if necessary. See recent invasion update.
That's much more reassuring, it seemed like that was a flat limit on first read.

I just know from poking around file shares that so many user maps have perf problem with just one player per screen. Don't envy you guys much for having to sort through them.

Woorloog

Banned
Those who have played Halo PC's Gephyrophobia, do you find it a fun map?
Do people find bridge-like maps fun in general? I mean, thematically... And what about gameplay? Not just in Halo, other games too, like UT or Quake etc.

EDIT also, are there any good maps of Forge World with enough detail that they can be used for planning?

Hasn't it been directly stated that the DMR has a locked ROF in 4? Assuming that's true, I think the bloom is just a visual indication of when you can fire again.

Homeboyd

That's much more reassuring, it seemed like that was a flat limit on first read.

I just know from poking around file shares that so many user maps have perf problem with just one player per screen. Don't envy you guys much for having to sort through them.
Yeah there's just a lot to consider on their end for justifying a drop from 4 to 2 local players. We wanted to narrow down the most serious entries by keeping it as is now but having the option to improve the maps performance with the drop to 2. That's a decision for the sustain team though.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Hasn't it been directly stated that the DMR has a locked ROF in 4? Assuming that's true, I think the bloom is just a visual indication of when you can fire again.

See this is what I mean going back to my original post. They are basically trolling everyone by making it look like it has bloom.

Trey

Lock the fuckin DMR!!! I don't understand why this cannot be done

If you locked it, then it would be either useless or overpowered.

Lock it relative to how it would be balanced at range, and it is weak at the mid and short range against the rest of the sandbox. Making it a derivative sniper rifle. Useless.

Lock it relative to the mid or short range, and it destroys from long range and is at parity with the rest of the sandbox from the remaining ranges. Overpowered.

I'm hoping this is the case. I remember when someone, maybe Killa KC? playtested 4, they said that it seemed that there was no actual bloom on the DMR.

Top Bottom