• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

GhaleonEB

Here are the problems I see with visible voting:

Votes Visible, Votes Unlocked (i.e. you can change your vote)
- People constantly change their votes to "sway a tie", instead of voting for their #1 choice.
- The options that take an early lead get more votes than they would normally. "I would vote for X, but Y and Z are winning so I'll vote for Z instead because I hate Y."

Been in meetings all morning so I missed a lot of this conversation, so apologies if this has been covered, but I don't see either of these as problems.

I often change my vote to break a tie, which is an important benefit of visible vote totals. In the situation where my preference is not happening, and the tie is between two options I have a strong opinion of, I want to be able to change my vote to impact the outcome.

Say I'm the only guy in the lobby voting for Neutral Assault, and the tie is between CTF and Oddball. I like CTF, and don't like Oddball, so I'll change my vote to sway the tally over to CTF. It enables players to make more informed voting decisions and arrive at more desirable outcomes more often. With the vote visible, I have a game I enjoy more than when the vote count is hidden.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
iXSQYPPHmDiNB.gif

left most screen - grenade launcher perk attachment for AR confirmed!

EDIT: beaten by letters

So are killcams removed or something? Kinda looks like that. It would be weird to have a killcam then show the character after that. Also, how is all that gonna work with instant respawns? I need to see this game soon(3 days is not soon enough).

Oh yeah, and with instant respawns and killcams, people can't see you t-bagging them. That is like one of the core aspects of Halo. It can't be ruined.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hey yall, I just posted a response about HaloGAF in the 'Rape Culture In Video Games' thread on the gaming side. I thought I'd post it here, and give yall a chance to respond (in that other thread). I'm also down to talk about this stuff via PM.
You just put a laser target on our sub-community. In this case though I don't think a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I also don't think a lot of the jokes said here(in the thread) are meant to directly offend anyone as they are just meant to poke fun at each other.

I'll say one thing, the guns look like they FEEL great. The recoil on the DMR seems to lend it a nice "pop" that seems like it'd be really satisfying to shoot.

Hey yall, I just posted a response about HaloGAF in the 'Rape Culture In Video Games' thread on the gaming side. I thought I'd post it here, and give yall a chance to respond (in that other thread). I'm also down to talk about this stuff via PM.

Also, since it seemed like there was more objections than support, I've ditched the idea of an Halo 4 MP Speculation thread. I guess I'll just totally duck out till November 6. :p

Seriously good post. The points you bring up are part of the reason I've moved into lurker mode around here.

Didn't expect that Halo 4 would be the first thing to be shown during the show. I think I would've preferred it as the last thing to be shown.

Campaign shot looks pretty awesome!

Been in meetings all morning so I missed a lot of this conversation, so apologies if this has been covered, but I don't see either of these as problems.

I often change my vote to break a tie, which is an important benefit of visible vote totals. In the situation where my preference is not happening, and the tie is between two options I have a strong opinion of, I want to be able to change my vote to impact the outcome.

Say I'm the only guy in the lobby voting for Neutral Assault, and the tie is between CTF and Oddball. I like CTF, and don't like Oddball, so I'll change my vote to sway the tally over to CTF. It enables players to make more informed voting decisions and arrive at more desirable outcomes more often.
If it's a tie between two options you have a strong opinion of, you probably would have vetoed one of them.

Reach mode:
Neutral Assault 1
Oddball 3
CTF 3
None of the above 1

Oddball wins, unless you're paying attention and switch your vote to CTF. In that case, CTF wins with 4 votes. - but there's a chance that 3 or 4 people hate CTF. What if, as you're switching your vote, the "None of the Above" voter and one of the CTF voters switch their votes to Neutral Assault? Then Oddball wins with 3. What if Neutral Assault was an acceptable compromise between the people that wanted CTF and the people that wanted Oddball?

New mode:
Neutral Assault +1,-0
Oddball +3, -4
CTF +3, -3
None of the above +1,-1

I just don't like the game of having to stay focused on the voting screen to see which option you need to switch to, especially when there are people in the lobby constantly changing votes. I like being able to say "I like this one the most and that one the least" and be done with it.

Shadders

Halo to have the opening 10 minutes of the show?

FIRST STRIKE

This does beg the question, what will be their closing megaton? Maybe it will be a Halo 4 beta!

I stand by my prediction of a new model of 360 with better guts, but would that be big enough to close out the show?

I suppose it would if they do the whole "everyone in the audience can get one for free!" shtick.

It will probably go something like this:

Halo 4
35 minutes of kinect garbage
Gears Zero or w/e
Halo 4

I'm completely okay with 35 minutes of kinect garbage, because while it doesn't provide any useful info, it provides a heck of a lot of entertainment.

Shadders said:

FIRST STRIKE

This does beg the question, what will be their closing megaton? Maybe it will be a Halo 4 beta!

I stand by my prediction of a new model of 360 with better guts, but would that be big enough to close out the show?

I suppose it would if they do the whole "everyone in the audience can get one for free!" shtick.

Another new 360, this late in the console cycle? No way, man.

Also, I'm still on my fat 360, which is quickly falling apart. If they released yet another new one (and gave it out for free to everyone in the audience) I'd be mad as heck.

Louis Wu

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, how does one represent the competitive community then? Is this a compliment of him branching out and I'm missing. U4ix has played in events and online for MLG Halo, commentated Halo for MLG, worked for MLG getting Halo footage along side me at events and even when Halo not on the circuit he pumps out content for the competitive community (along with casual gameplay/btb). He may not be the "T2/Walshy" kind of face but he has a lot credit in our community for the things he's done along with branching out to different parts of Halo.
Wow, how the hell did you get a negative interpretation of what I wrote?

I guess I was saying that he doesn't fit the MLG stereotype (certainly not the in-game Halo competitive gamer stereotype, not the MLG forum stereotype, not the all-over-the-internet pro-ANYTHING stereotype) of building yourself up by ripping down your opponents. He does a fine job of discussing without trash talking - that's all I was saying. And that's not the norm.

FIRST STRIKE

Frankie walks on stage

"The Halo 4 beta is now available to everyone on the Xbox Live marketplace"

Frankie walks off stage

best possible ending to a E3 conference ever

Top Bottom