• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

n9FcH.jpg

That's an armor ability pack on the back of a Promethean...right?
It looks a bit silly, but I assume they can scavenge tech easily, so makes sense fictionally.

Fuchsdh

Hmm. Pros and cons, and wtfs:

+Campaign visuals pretty nice
+More consistency on the weapon front with previous games than I'd hoped.
+Ops looks like it's not ripping off multi levels from what we've seen.
+Nice sounds for the most part
+Definitely new enemy mechanics we'll have to deal with.

-Cortana still needs transparency
-Those multi medals

? Why do Forerunners have human skulls?

It looks a bit silly, but I assume they can scavenge tech easily, so makes sense fictionally.

There are packs on the Spartans' backs as well. But since sprint is now a default feature, and not an AA, they probably repurposed the sprint AA to be either the hard light shield, or that teleporting ability, and just left the visual aspect the same for that build.

feel

Ofcourse I get all kinds of real life responsibilities thrown at me just today and I can't follow everything as it happens.. :( :(

Love you and your HUB so much Dani! With the HUB at least I don't feel like I'm missing out on Halo media/info.

Off to watch the keynote demo, I've been told that it was great.

Lmao Frankie is doing a interview on Spike right now for "Splinter Cell".
The questions are about Halo, but the video they were showing was from Splinter Cell.

EDIT: Apparently I'm not the only one watching!

GhaleonEB

+ Visual fidelity and style. Richly detailed, colorful, sharp and has a great sci-fi vibe to it all.
+ The "heft" of the Chief as he moves. Still agile, but the HUD movement and sound design make him feel heavy, for the first time.
+ Weapon audio and design are ace.
+ Enemies working together (shielding, etc.), and that dude throwing the grenade back. Great stuff, going to open up some interesting (and likely hilarious) gameplay.
+ Disintegration effects, nice.
+ Weapon priming animations were great; love the new Forerunner weapons.
+ The whole package just looks incredibly impressive.

- Giant BOO! skull face. Felt very DOOM-y and was unoriginal design. Really stood out, and not in a good way.
- Not sure I like seeing Cortana displayed on the HUD when talking. Probably done to make her feel more present and real as a character but I really hope it's only during non-gameplay sequences.

? - What's up with the apparent QTE sequence when the Chief is down to fists? Is that gameplay?
? - Is the realtime/actor footage from the Forward Unto Dawn mini series, or incorporated into the game? It appeared to transition into it.

+ Visual fidelity and style. Richly detailed, colorful, sharp and has a great sci-fi vibe to it all.
+ The "heft" of the Chief as he moves. Still agile, but the HUD movement and sound design make him feel heavy, for the first time.
+ Enemies working together (shielding, etc.), and that dude throwing the grenade back. Great stuff, going to open up some interesting (and likely hilarious) gameplay.

- Giant BOO! skull face. Felt very DOOM-y and was unoriginal design. Really stood out, and not in a good way.
- Not sure I like seeing Cortana displayed on the HUD when talking. Probably done to make her feel more present and real as a character but I really hope it's only during non-gameplay sequences.

? - What's up with the apparent QTE sequence when the Chief is down to fists? Is that gameplay?
? - Is the realtime/actor footage from the Forward Unto Dawn mini series, or incorporated into the game? It appeared to transition into it.

Doubt it, was probably cutscene-esque. I don't think the player was in control there.

Gui_PT

From what I could view on my phone (thanks for uploading that, Plywood), it looks really great actually. I just wanted to jump on the boo-ndwagon.

Yeah it looks amazing. Can't wait to get an proper Hd version if this where the camera doesn't cut to the stage

Trey

This no-avatars business is fucking me up. I never used to look for my name, I just looked for a lack of avatar to find my post. I must say though, you all look dapper in plain-font.

The B-roll clip is both interesting and distressing. I'm going to need some consistent footage.

Korosenai

So promethean knights are the enemies in that demo. Isnt the didact a promethean? Would that mean the promethean knights are under him in his army?

And also, that giant ball was very awesome. My guess is that it is a cryptum or something, and it either holds an ai or the didacf himself.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Friendlies seem to show up as white dots on the radar in War Games. I'm guessing that's not final, either.

I think it was only for the E3 presentation. Or 343i is telling the story in other ways now than the previous Halos.

This is so going to get buried, but here we go.

So it seems 343 is changing a few things that have been pretty important to Halo as we've gone. Seems like there's going to be a lot of overlap in the sandbox between human, fore-runner and covenant weapons. We now know that there are 4 different confirmed midrange precision weapons (DMR, BR, light rifle, and the carbine) plus whatever midrange sidearms we see (magnum so far). We have 2 shotguns, and 2 Assault rifles confirmed. While every halo has some overlap this seems to be taking it farther, I'm guessing to facilitate the new unlock system in MP, so you have reason to tweak your loadout a bit more than just choosing between the AR or the BR at the start. Not necessarly a bad thing, perhaps less elegant, but if the weapons can be given enough tweaks to be distinct, it could still be fun.

Bloom seems to be back on a weapon by weapon basis, which is closer to how the system worked in previous Halo's, it looked like the DMR had really low levels of bloom, while the AR/covy AR had tons. BR, and Fore-runner rifle had no noticeable bloom. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

Ordinance/power weapons seem to be on a ticking timer in that FFA like slayer mode we saw.

Anywho, visually it looks great, i"m looking forward to what comes next.

J10

Banned
So promethean knights are the enemies in that demo. Isnt the didact a promethean? Would that mean the promethean knights are under him in his army?

I don't think it's a Promethean. Cortana said they're not organic. I think either it's some kind of sentinel, or, like someone else suggested, it's a mechanical body driven by a durance.

Korosenai

I don't think it's a Promethean. Cortana said they're not organic. Either it's some kind of sentinel, or, like someone else suggested, it's a mechanical body driven by a durance.
Only reason why i say promethean, is because frankie called them promethean knights during his interview on spike a couple of minutes ago. But i dont think weve heard of promethean knights before so who knows.

And like you said, they could be some form of sentinel since they look nothing like the forerunners we saw in halo legends and i think we saw a glimpse of them during a ce:a terminal.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think it's a Promethean. Cortana said they're not organic. Either it's some kind of sentinel, or, like someone else suggested, it's a mechanical body driven by a durance.

Fuck Halo Nation, Halopedia is so much better. http://www.halopedian.com/Durance

So, undead Forerunners driving robotic bodies that have somewhat demonic looks called Promethean Knights.

I wonder if we get to meet live Forerunners, friendly ones that is.

Top Bottom