• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

2820770-gallery.png
Giant truck is giant Jun helmet. With teeth.

BigShow36

No, it makes more sense, regardless of the dev that did it. Especially since 343 is continuing it.

Not really. If you're running around a hostile warzone, you don't look up off the barrell of your weapon. You don't look up in the air when you need to shoot something right in front of you.

Regardless, it makes no sense from a gameplay perspective, which is all that really matters.

No, it makes more sense, regardless of the dev that did it. Especially since 343 is continuing it.
Why does it make more sense? It's a crosshair, the only sense is in how intuitive it is as a HUD element and Halo being one of the only outliers in placement has always messed up my periphery.

Woorloog

Banned
Not really. If you're running around a hostile warzone, you don't look up off the barrell of your weapon. You don't look up in the air when you need to shoot something right in front of you.

/facepalm
It's a frigging video game with a HUD intergrated in the player character's helmet which, by the way, links with the weapon's computer, making aiming conventionally obsolete.
Besides, with the reticule a bit lower, you see higher and less floor. It is a sensible desing... one that i don't like but neither do i really care since i'm used to it.

Campaign looked so linear I wanted to cry. Looked like a clone of the beginning of Halo3's campaign to be honest. It's super mario galaxy all over again. The skybox did indeed look incredible and that animated gif with the ships flying overhead was cool. But how does that translate into a fun game? Cortana wouldn't shut up. Was irritating to listen to her blabber on and on. Navi from Ocarina of Time has come back from the dead. And from what was shown, it just looked like scripted sequence after scripted sequence. The Call of Duty transformation is complete lol. Anyway. I'm sure I'm one of the few people that didn't walk away from the footage thinking, "omg amazing." Time will tell, though.

The best announcement at the conference was South Park, imo. And I couldn't believe Microsoft closed it out with an obnoxiously long demo of Black Ops. Really? A non-exclusive game that people have already had a good glimpse of? Well done Microsoft. Well done. Didn't tease their next console. Didn't have a major first party exclusive (at least something that people would care about). Showed more footage of Blacks Ops than Halo4. Sad day.

I can only conclude that 343 is staffed entirely by wizards. Goddamn, what a reveal.

Graphics are simply spectacular, definitely in the uppermost echelons of 360 titles. The shots of the Infinity looming over the Chief were jaw-dropping; the sense of scale made the FUD landing in Halo 3's 'The Ark' look like a toy. Which it pretty much is relative to the Infinity, I guess.

I'm not sold on the design of the new enemies, but they may grow on me the more I see of them. Absolutely blown away by everything else, though; can't wait to see what else they show as the week goes on.

Risen

The only reason anyone is defending it is because Bungie put it there. If it had always been centered, NO ONE would be saying, "Damn, I wish the reticle was about 4 inches lower."

No... the reason people are defending it is because they like it. Quit making silly assumptions...

Perhaps people wouldn't know what they were missing if it had always been centered, but as it is... I like it better for field of view and action. Where it is, many players still drop their aim even more when moving around in MP.

Campaign looked so linear I wanted to cry.
Halo is a pretty linear game by design, but especially in the opening levels of each of the games. It was a short couple minute view to present new enemies and design elements to a crowd. Not very indicative of their overall campaign level design whatsoever.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I can't see the b-roll stuff. I click the link and nothing happens. :-(

I just hope Halo 4 is good so that I don't need to buy Blops 2 to get my competitive FPS fix.
As if BLOPS is your only alternative. :lol

daedalius

Campaign looked so linear I wanted to cry. Looked like a clone of the beginning of Halo3's campaign to be honest. It's super mario galaxy all over again. The skybox did indeed look incredible and that animated gif with the ships flying overhead was cool. But how does that translate into a fun game? Cortana wouldn't shut up. Was irritating to listen to her blabber on and on. Navi from Ocarina of Time has come back from the dead. And from what was shown, it just looked like scripted sequence after scripted sequence. The Call of Duty transformation is complete lol. Anyway. I'm sure I'm one of the few people that didn't walk away from the footage thinking, "omg amazing." Time will tell, though.

The best announcement at the conference was South Park, imo. And I couldn't believe Microsoft closed it out with an obnoxiously long demo of Black Ops. Really? A non-exclusive game that people have already had a good glimpse of? Well done Microsoft. Well done. Didn't tease their next console. Didn't have a major first party exclusive (at least something that people would care about). Showed more footage of Blacks Ops than Halo4. Sad day.

lol

not enough shown to make this kind of call.

Aggrotek

It was the first level. Of course these things will be present.

Risen

Regardless, it makes no sense from a gameplay perspective, which is all that really matters.

OH MY DAMN... really... you are comparing field of view in real life with field of view in a video game... played on a monitor or TV.

You can see more playable space with it slightly lowered. Which is what REALLY matters.

I would normally agree with you about the linearity, but for some reason I don't mind it. It just fits here, they did something right. Not to mention its the very beginning of the game, there's no way the whole campaign is going to be that scripted.

Recarpo

No... the reason people are defending it is because they like it. Quit making silly assumptions...

Perhaps people wouldn't know what they were missing if it had always been centered, but as it is... I like it better for field of view and action. Where it is, many players still drop their aim even more when moving around in MP.

I like it as well. Wasn't it was first implemented to give less of a view of the gun and more of the surroundings? I think it does that well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The grenade pistol is called the STICKY DETONATOR?

My god, 343 is terrible at naming things. Seriously, their naming choices are just awful.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It was the first level. Of course these things will be present.

first level is the forward unto dawn, but yeah, i wouldnt judge the whole campaigns linearity on this demo. even in some of the screens posted you can see the massive scale and size of environments

OH MY DAMN... really... you are comparing field of view in real life with field of view in a video game... played on a monitor or TV.

You can see more playable space with it slightly lowered. Which is what REALLY matters.
You see the same playable space, you just tradeoff between what. It always feels like I have to aim higher than I feel is natural in Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Weapon pick up text is in the middle of the screen now, too? So fucking stupid. Campaign looks amazing but MP just disappoints over and over.

Edit : I've noticed that other HUD elements have changed, so I still have hope, but still... What the hell are they thinking?

Woorloog

Banned

The reason i'm not keen on this new enemy's desing. Grey, orange/red and skulls (ie your standard demon), trying to scare the player. Incredibly lame.
I suppose the desing will grow on me but it didn't impress me at all.
But as long as the gameplay is solid and Halo, no problem.

The reason i'm not keen on this new enemy's desing. Grey, orange/red and skulls (ie your standard demon), trying to scare the player. Incredibly lame.
I suppose the desing will grow on me but it didn't impress me at all.
But as long as the gameplay is solid and Halo, no problem.

I bet those things will be like durances or something, explaining the 'skulls'.

Trey

The gameplay itself was boring. It was Casual-Mode easy shit.

But the POTENTIAL for greatness was evident. It was all over the place.

Yeah. It was a smart showing. A tease of the gameplay and the kind of tone we can expect in the campaign. Nothing but a taste. Speculations for everyone.

Spops showing later today will be more focused and our best bet at a decent look at the games' mechanics.

Top Bottom